can sata drives also be connected to ide?

beemer

I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is using
a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.

Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?

Beemer

"Beemer" <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is using
> a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.
>
> Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?
>
> Beemer

No......but SATA PCI controllers can be purchased fairly reasonably and will
save you buying a new MB.

Ed

"Ed Medlin" <edmedlin@yahoo.com> wrote:
>"Beemer" <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is
>>using a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.
>> Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?
>
>No......but SATA PCI controllers can be purchased fairly reasonably
>and will save you buying a new MB.

Does he get the same potential benefit of RAID with just a PCI SATA
controller?

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:48:57 GMT, John Doe
<jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:

>"Ed Medlin" <edmedlin@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>"Beemer" <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>>I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is
>>>using a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.
>>> Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?
>>
>>No......but SATA PCI controllers can be purchased fairly reasonably
>>and will save you buying a new MB.
>
>Does he get the same potential benefit of RAID with just a PCI SATA
>controller?

That probably depends upon the controller. Many of them support it.

---Atreju---

beemer

In article <nUfud.5771$nE7.3328@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
edmedlin@yahoo.com says...

> "Beemer" <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is using
> > a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.
> >
> > Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?
> >
> > Beemer

ED,

Thats good news,

Thanks,