can sata drives also be connected to ide?

I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is using
a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.

Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?

Beemer
4 answers Last reply
More about sata drives connected

    "Beemer" <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is using
    > a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.
    >
    > Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?
    >
    > Beemer

    No......but SATA PCI controllers can be purchased fairly reasonably and will
    save you buying a new MB.

    Ed

    "Ed Medlin" <edmedlin@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >"Beemer" <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    >>I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is
    >>using a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.
    >> Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?
    >
    >No......but SATA PCI controllers can be purchased fairly reasonably
    >and will save you buying a new MB.

    Does he get the same potential benefit of RAID with just a PCI SATA
    controller?

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:48:57 GMT, John Doe
    <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:

    >"Ed Medlin" <edmedlin@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>"Beemer" <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>>I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is
    >>>using a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.
    >>> Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?
    >>
    >>No......but SATA PCI controllers can be purchased fairly reasonably
    >>and will save you buying a new MB.
    >
    >Does he get the same potential benefit of RAID with just a PCI SATA
    >controller?

    That probably depends upon the controller. Many of them support it.

    ---Atreju---

    In article <nUfud.5771$nE7.3328@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
    edmedlin@yahoo.com says...

    > "Beemer" <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >I want to buy a pair of sata drives but my present motherboard is using
    > > a PCI 133 ATAPI controller connected to two IDE drives.
    > >
    > > Can SATA drives be connected until I get a new motherboard?
    > >
    > > Beemer

    ED,

    Thats good news,

    Thanks,