modem and faxing problems

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 7, 2005 11:36:01 PM

This may not be the right forum to post this problem to, but I have always
had great responses and help here. I had an Aztec 56kps modem and Cheyenne
Bitware fax software and could fax nearly anyone except one fax location. I
find out that I am one of three of his customers that cannot get his machine
to 'pick up'. All others have no problems getting to him. So, thinking
that the modem was to blame, I tried another recommended modem, a Creative
Blaster v.92 to no avail. The software was installed correctly, the fax
program pointed to the new modem, I even fiddled with transmit speeds. No
soap. The new modem will fax to all my address book fax machines except to
the one I had trouble with before. Any ideas? Thanks.

More about : modem faxing problems

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 4:18:37 AM

Bart wrote:
> This may not be the right forum to post this problem to, but I have always
> had great responses and help here. I had an Aztec 56kps modem and Cheyenne
> Bitware fax software and could fax nearly anyone except one fax location. I
> find out that I am one of three of his customers that cannot get his machine
> to 'pick up'. All others have no problems getting to him. So, thinking
> that the modem was to blame, I tried another recommended modem, a Creative
> Blaster v.92 to no avail. The software was installed correctly, the fax
> program pointed to the new modem, I even fiddled with transmit speeds. No
> soap. The new modem will fax to all my address book fax machines except to
> the one I had trouble with before. Any ideas? Thanks.

might look for the M$ fax program instead of using Cheyenne.
<shrug>

Further troubleshooting, find out what kind of fax machine the guy has
and check the net to see if there might be a problem on that end.

Rick
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 7:58:14 AM

You say that three of you cannot get his machine to 'pick up'. Do you mean
that the calls are not actually being 'tripped' (i.e. ringing tone) by his
fax machine?

Or just the fax signals (handshake) are not being recognised and exchanged
after the fax machine has 'answered ' the call?

May seem a daft question but ....

Are you sure that he is actually receiving your fax call - in other words,
are you dialling the correct number?

Mart

"Bart" <bfisher@ndsupernet.com> wrote in message
> This may not be the right forum to post this problem to, but I have always
> had great responses and help here. I had an Aztec 56kps modem and
> Cheyenne
> Bitware fax software and could fax nearly anyone except one fax location.
> find out that I am one of three of his customers that cannot get his
> machine
> to 'pick up'. All others have no problems getting to him. So, thinking
> that the modem was to blame, I tried another recommended modem, a Creative
> Blaster v.92 to no avail. The software was installed correctly, the fax
> program pointed to the new modem, I even fiddled with transmit speeds. No
> soap. The new modem will fax to all my address book fax machines except
> the one I had trouble with before. Any ideas? Thanks.

Related resources
March 8, 2005 7:58:15 AM

Not daft at all......done it myself back in the good old days when I
actually worked!!

What are you doing up at this hour, my fine Cumbrian lad??

Cheers....Heather

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> May seem a daft question but ....
>
> Are you sure that he is actually receiving your fax call - in other words,
> are you dialling the correct number?
>
> Mart
>

> "Bart" <bfisher@ndsupernet.com> wrote in message
> > This may not be the right forum to post this problem to, but I have
always
> > had great responses and help here. I had an Aztec 56kps modem and
> > Cheyenne
> > Bitware fax software and could fax nearly anyone except one fax
location.
> > find out that I am one of three of his customers that cannot get his
> > machine
> > to 'pick up'. All others have no problems getting to him. So, thinking
> > that the modem was to blame, I tried another recommended modem, a
Creative
> > Blaster v.92 to no avail. The software was installed correctly, the fax
> > program pointed to the new modem, I even fiddled with transmit speeds.
No
> > soap. The new modem will fax to all my address book fax machines except
> > the one I had trouble with before. Any ideas? Thanks.

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 8:44:45 AM

> What are you doing up at this hour, my fine Cumbrian lad??

No idea - must get to bed pdq - oh! and BTW - Lancashire <g>

Mart

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:o REiOF6IFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Not daft at all......done it myself back in the good old days when I
> actually worked!!
>
> What are you doing up at this hour, my fine Cumbrian lad??
>
> Cheers....Heather
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> May seem a daft question but ....
>>
>> Are you sure that he is actually receiving your fax call - in other
>> words,
>> are you dialling the correct number?
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Bart" <bfisher@ndsupernet.com> wrote in message
>> > This may not be the right forum to post this problem to, but I have
> always
>> > had great responses and help here. I had an Aztec 56kps modem and
>> > Cheyenne
>> > Bitware fax software and could fax nearly anyone except one fax
> location.
>> > find out that I am one of three of his customers that cannot get his
>> > machine
>> > to 'pick up'. All others have no problems getting to him. So,
>> > thinking
>> > that the modem was to blame, I tried another recommended modem, a
> Creative
>> > Blaster v.92 to no avail. The software was installed correctly, the
>> > fax
>> > program pointed to the new modem, I even fiddled with transmit speeds.
> No
>> > soap. The new modem will fax to all my address book fax machines
>> > except
>> > the one I had trouble with before. Any ideas? Thanks.

March 8, 2005 8:44:46 AM

OOPS......and here I thought you were around the Lakes. Next time we come
over, we will see Yorkshire and more of Scotland. Daughter Elayne is going
to Scotland in June.....plans on going up to the very north part and
exploring some ancient ruins. She used to work on archaeology sites in
France and Belgium (student....no pay, but lots of fun)

Get to bed, old guy......grin.

> > What are you doing up at this hour, my fine Cumbrian lad??
>
> No idea - must get to bed pdq - oh! and BTW - Lancashire <g>
>
> Mart
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o REiOF6IFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Not daft at all......done it myself back in the good old days when I
> > actually worked!!
> >
> > What are you doing up at this hour, my fine Cumbrian lad??
> >
> > Cheers....Heather
> >
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> May seem a daft question but ....
> >>
> >> Are you sure that he is actually receiving your fax call - in other
> >> words,
> >> are you dialling the correct number?
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "Bart" <bfisher@ndsupernet.com> wrote in message
> > always
> > location.
> > Creative
> > No

March 8, 2005 12:59:42 PM

The dialog box Bitware displays shows "Waiting for pickup" under
'operation' and shows the correct response of ATDT###-#### ( the destination
number). Once we get there, I hear the ringing in the background and the
message continues to show "Waiting for pickup" until it 'times out'. Then
the software reschedules another transmit time a few minutes later. Same
story. I am sure the number is correct. The handshake could be a problem
however I have no problem with other long distance and local fax's. Perhaps
it is specific fax manufacturer's oops and my settings are not compatible
(along with the other two folks). I have tried changing the connect speeds
and the rest is pretty well standardized settings. As far as his machine
not being "tripped", how can I determine that? Thank you for your response!

Bart

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You say that three of you cannot get his machine to 'pick up'. Do you
mean
> that the calls are not actually being 'tripped' (i.e. ringing tone) by his
> fax machine?
>
> Or just the fax signals (handshake) are not being recognised and exchanged
> after the fax machine has 'answered ' the call?
>
> May seem a daft question but ....
>
> Are you sure that he is actually receiving your fax call - in other words,
> are you dialling the correct number?
>
> Mart
>

> "Bart" <bfisher@ndsupernet.com> wrote in message
> > This may not be the right forum to post this problem to, but I have
always
> > had great responses and help here. I had an Aztec 56kps modem and
> > Cheyenne
> > Bitware fax software and could fax nearly anyone except one fax
location.
> > find out that I am one of three of his customers that cannot get his
> > machine
> > to 'pick up'. All others have no problems getting to him. So, thinking
> > that the modem was to blame, I tried another recommended modem, a
Creative
> > Blaster v.92 to no avail. The software was installed correctly, the fax
> > program pointed to the new modem, I even fiddled with transmit speeds.
No
> > soap. The new modem will fax to all my address book fax machines except
> > the one I had trouble with before. Any ideas? Thanks.

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 11:03:36 PM

I don't use Bitware but "Waiting for pickup" sounds to me like "No Reply"

Still sounds like you're dialling a wrong number <g>

Confirm that your recipients Fax Machine/Computer is "Configured to
automatically answer incoming fax calls after X rings" - where X is between
2 and 6.

Better still, call your 'client' on another telephone immediately before you
intend to fax him and advise him to standby and watch his Fax Machine - and
answer the call 'manually' if necessary - and then send the fax and confirm
that he at least receives the call AND that his Fax machine tries to answer,
whilst you have the phone call still in progress.

You need to check this in 'Real-Time'. Finding out, sometime later that he
hasn't received it proves nothing <g>

> The dialog box Bitware displays shows "Waiting for pickup" under
> 'operation' and shows the correct response of ATDT###-#### ( the
> destination
> number). Once we get there, I hear the ringing in the background and the
> message continues to show "Waiting for pickup" until it 'times out'. Then
> the software reschedules another transmit time a few minutes later. Same
> story. I am sure the number is correct. The handshake could be a problem
> however I have no problem with other long distance and local fax's.
> Perhaps
> it is specific fax manufacturer's oops and my settings are not compatible
> (along with the other two folks). I have tried changing the connect
> speeds
> and the rest is pretty well standardized settings. As far as his machine
> not being "tripped", how can I determine that? Thank you for your
> response!
>
> Bart
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> You say that three of you cannot get his machine to 'pick up'. Do you
> mean
>> that the calls are not actually being 'tripped' (i.e. ringing tone) by
>> his
>> fax machine?
>>
>> Or just the fax signals (handshake) are not being recognised and
>> exchanged
>> after the fax machine has 'answered ' the call?
>>
>> May seem a daft question but ....
>>
>> Are you sure that he is actually receiving your fax call - in other
>> words,
>> are you dialling the correct number?
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Bart" <bfisher@ndsupernet.com> wrote in message
>> > This may not be the right forum to post this problem to, but I have
> always
>> > had great responses and help here. I had an Aztec 56kps modem and
>> > Cheyenne
>> > Bitware fax software and could fax nearly anyone except one fax
> location.
>> > find out that I am one of three of his customers that cannot get his
>> > machine
>> > to 'pick up'. All others have no problems getting to him. So,
>> > thinking
>> > that the modem was to blame, I tried another recommended modem, a
> Creative
>> > Blaster v.92 to no avail. The software was installed correctly, the
>> > fax
>> > program pointed to the new modem, I even fiddled with transmit speeds.
> No
>> > soap. The new modem will fax to all my address book fax machines
>> > except
>> > the one I had trouble with before. Any ideas? Thanks.

March 8, 2005 11:36:52 PM

Thanks, Mart, for hanging in there on this one. The recipient's number is
correct, no doubt there. I was told by his receptionist that she has, in
the past, manually answered the fax's from the other two folks who are
having the same problem as myself and the data came through fine. This
tells me that the other two guys and myself have software/machines that
won't trigger the automatic answer in the recipient' machine or his machine
doesn't respond to us as it does to the rest of his clients (same thing I
guess). I will check on his setup configurations and try the manual answer
routine tomorrow during business hours. What is perplexing to me is that no
one else in my phone book gives me that problem, long distance or not.
Cheyenne Bitware website has been no help so far and now I am investigating
other sites for help as well. Thanks once again.

Bart.

> [...]
> > speeds
> > and the rest is pretty well standardized settings. As far as his
machine
> > not being "tripped", how can I determine that? Thank you for your
> > response!
> >
> > Bart
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> You say that three of you cannot get his machine to 'pick up'. Do you
> > mean
> >> that the calls are not actually being 'tripped' (i.e. ringing tone) by
> >> his
> >> fax machine?
> >>
> >> Or just the fax signals (handshake) are not being recognised and
> >> exchanged
> >> after the fax machine has 'answered ' the call?
> >>
> >> May seem a daft question but ....
> >>
> >> Are you sure that he is actually receiving your fax call - in other

March 9, 2005 7:20:13 AM

From your latest reply, I think that there's very little doubt that the
problem is at your clients 'end' and await your follow-up with interest.

> [...]
> the
>> > message continues to show "Waiting for pickup" until it 'times out'.
> Then
>> > the software reschedules another transmit time a few minutes later.
> Same
>> > story. I am sure the number is correct. The handshake could be a
> problem
>> > however I have no problem with other long distance and local fax's.
>> > Perhaps
>> > it is specific fax manufacturer's oops and my settings are not
> compatible
>> > (along with the other two folks). I have tried changing the connect
>> > speeds
>> > and the rest is pretty well standardized settings. As far as his
> machine
>> > not being "tripped", how can I determine that? Thank you for your

March 9, 2005 3:00:14 PM

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:36:01 -0700, "Bart" <bfisher@ndsupernet.com>
wrote:

>This may not be the right forum to post this problem to, but I have always
>had great responses and help here. I had an Aztec 56kps modem and Cheyenne
>Bitware fax software and could fax nearly anyone except one fax location. I
>find out that I am one of three of his customers that cannot get his machine
>to 'pick up'. All others have no problems getting to him. So, thinking
>that the modem was to blame, I tried another recommended modem, a Creative
>Blaster v.92 to no avail. The software was installed correctly, the fax
>program pointed to the new modem, I even fiddled with transmit speeds. No
>soap. The new modem will fax to all my address book fax machines except to
>the one I had trouble with before. Any ideas? Thanks.

Just a shot in the dark..
I just bought a new fax machine. It has the capability to block
incoming faxes from numbers I designate. Is it possible your vendor's
machine has this capability and has somehow inadvertently blocked your
number?
FWIW
YMMV
DFB

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's
constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into
his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."
- Justice William O. Douglas
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 8:49:11 PM

"MisterSkippy" <MisterSkippy@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Just a shot in the dark..
> I just bought a new fax machine. It has the capability to block
> incoming faxes from numbers I designate. Is it possible your vendor's
> machine has this capability and has somehow inadvertently blocked your
> number?
> FWIW
> YMMV
> DFB

Ah!... 'Closed Networks' option to inhibit unsolicited fax messages - never
thought of that possibility. Good point Mr.S.

Mart
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:43:21 AM

Tell Elaine to go up to Scourie if she's around - they speak the best
'Queen's English' there that I've ever heard (almost totally accent
free!!!) - but that was 30 years ago so HMMV....

The country around that area is incredible - my favourite tour was following
the coast roads from the West border country up to Scourie - and then down
through Whisky country (past Tain) to Edinburgh (about which I remember
little- but that's a long story!<g>)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi