motherboard floppy drive issues

gungadin

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Hello All!

I recently purchased a new Mach Speed 694TAS motherboard. (brand new OLD
board ;) )

I am having an issue with the floppy drive.

If I have no PCI/ISA devices installed, I can boot from the floppy drive
without issue.
As soon as I add any PCI hardware however, I am no longer able to boot
from the floppy drive.
It will say DATA I/O Error.

If I remove the device, the floppy works fine.

I have experimented using different devices and different PCI slots, but
have the exact same results.

If I let the OS boot from the hard drive and have a PCI card installed, I
can access the floppy drive, but it is extremely slow. If I remove the
PCI devices and load the OS, the floppy drive behaves normally.

I have replaced the floppy drive cable and checked its installation. It
appears to be a device conflict with the PCI hardware, but I cannot find
how to resolve this via the CMOS.

The BIOS version of the motherboard is the latest (A15).

I have tried using the CMOS standard defaults, as well as the optimized.
I have also tried disabling the onboard audio. The only time I can boot
from a floppy disk is if I have NO hardware installed on a PCI slot.

Can this be a simply CMOS configuration issue, or is it possible I have a
faulty board? I don't think it is faulty as the floppy drive will work...
just not with any other PCI hardware installed

ANY tips or direction would be GREATLY appreciated. I am trying to re-
build this PC as a Christmas gift, and if I need to return the board I am
running out of time.

--
-------------
Gungadin

"Gungadin" <Gungadin@nsdsad.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> I recently purchased a new Mach Speed 694TAS motherboard. (brand new OLD
> board ;) )
>
> I am having an issue with the floppy drive.
>
> If I have no PCI/ISA devices installed, I can boot from the floppy drive
> without issue.
> As soon as I add any PCI hardware however, I am no longer able to boot
> from the floppy drive.
> It will say DATA I/O Error.
>

> ANY tips or direction would be GREATLY appreciated. I am trying to re-
> build this PC as a Christmas gift, and if I need to return the board I am
> running out of time.

Hate to say it, but you are running out of time. -Dave

Gungadin wrote:

> I recently purchased a new Mach Speed 694TAS motherboard.

> I am having an issue with the floppy drive.
>
> If I have no PCI/ISA devices installed, I can boot from the
> floppy drive without issue. As soon as I add any PCI hardware
> however, I am no longer able to boot from the floppy drive.
> It will say DATA I/O Error.
>
> If I remove the device, the floppy works fine.
>
> I have experimented using different devices and different PCI slots

> If I let the OS boot from the hard drive and have a PCI card
> installed, I can access the floppy drive, but it is extremely
> slow. If I remove the PCI devices and load the OS, the floppy
> drive behaves normally.

> Can this be a simply CMOS configuration issue, or is it
> possible I have a faulty board?

Enter BIOS setup's PNP/PCI configuration screen and try different
settings, like enable "Reset Configuration Data"? I don't know if this
will help, but I can't think of anything else. Could the slow
operation of the floppy mean that it's controller is sharing an IRQ
with something else?

"Gungadin" <Gungadin@nsdsad.nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> I recently purchased a new Mach Speed 694TAS motherboard. (brand new OLD
> board ;) )
>
> I am having an issue with the floppy drive.
>
> If I have no PCI/ISA devices installed, I can boot from the floppy drive
> without issue.
> As soon as I add any PCI hardware however, I am no longer able to boot
> from the floppy drive.
> It will say DATA I/O Error.
>
> If I remove the device, the floppy works fine.
>
> I have experimented using different devices and different PCI slots, but
> have the exact same results.
>
> If I let the OS boot from the hard drive and have a PCI card installed, I
> can access the floppy drive, but it is extremely slow. If I remove the
> PCI devices and load the OS, the floppy drive behaves normally.
>
> I have replaced the floppy drive cable and checked its installation. It
> appears to be a device conflict with the PCI hardware, but I cannot find
> how to resolve this via the CMOS.
>
> The BIOS version of the motherboard is the latest (A15).
>
> I have tried using the CMOS standard defaults, as well as the optimized.
> I have also tried disabling the onboard audio. The only time I can boot
> from a floppy disk is if I have NO hardware installed on a PCI slot.
>
> Can this be a simply CMOS configuration issue, or is it possible I have a
> faulty board? I don't think it is faulty as the floppy drive will work...
> just not with any other PCI hardware installed
>
> ANY tips or direction would be GREATLY appreciated. I am trying to re-
> build this PC as a Christmas gift, and if I need to return the board I am
> running out of time.
>

> --
> Gungadin
> Saint John NB
> Canada
Ensure the 1.44 floppy is the only floppy recognized in
CMOS. Then try to set cmos where comp. boots in an order placing floppy
first device--i.e.: floppy, harddrive, cdrom--or: floppy, cdrom, harddrive.
HTH & good luck, s