PC 3200 RAM Question

I have what I thought was 400 MHz RAM. Crucial Technology PC3200. It
is Dual Channel. But this program called CPU-Z is reporting it as 200
MHz. Is there a faster version which is 400 MHz or is it referred to
400 MHz because it is dual channel?

Please clarify for me.

---Atreju---
8 answers Last reply
More about 3200 question

    "Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
    >I have what I thought was 400 MHz RAM. Crucial Technology PC3200. It
    > is Dual Channel. But this program called CPU-Z is reporting it as 200
    > MHz. Is there a faster version which is 400 MHz or is it referred to
    > 400 MHz because it is dual channel?
    >
    > Please clarify for me.
    >

    > ---Atreju---

    It is DUAL DATA RATE (DDR400) which runs at clock speed of 200MHz. Nothing
    wrong with your RAM. -Dave

    "Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
    >I have what I thought was 400 MHz RAM. Crucial Technology PC3200. It
    > is Dual Channel. But this program called CPU-Z is reporting it as 200
    > MHz. Is there a faster version which is 400 MHz or is it referred to
    > 400 MHz because it is dual channel?
    >
    > Please clarify for me.

    OH, dual channel has nothing to do with RAM. "Dual Channel" is technology
    incorporated into certain mainboards. Any RAM can be run in "dual channel"
    mode, if the RAM is compatible with a motherboard that happens to be able to
    run RAM in "dual channel" mode. If you really bought RAM that is "dual
    channel" then it's likely you paid too much for it. Several RAM
    manufacturers have been using "dual channel" as a marketing gimmick. A RAM
    manufacturer claiming that RAM is dual channel is like a tire manufacturer
    claiming that a tire is 150MPH. Well, the tire might be able to handle
    that, but only if the CAR it's installed on can DO 150MPH. So if you pay
    extra for a 150MPH tire for a Yugo, you just got ripped off. In the same
    way, if you pay extra for RAM because it is "dual channel", then you just
    got ripped off. Especially considering that RAM conforms to certain other
    specifications which are STANDARD. There is NO difference between (two
    sticks of) PC3200 RAM and (two sticks of) PC3200 "dual channel" RAM, if all
    other specifications are equal. Yet you will often find the latter two
    sticks costing more, and advertised as "dual channel". -Dave

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:59:08 -0500, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

    SNIP

    >OH, dual channel has nothing to do with RAM. "Dual Channel" is technology
    >incorporated into certain mainboards. Any RAM can be run in "dual channel"
    >mode, if the RAM is compatible with a motherboard that happens to be able to
    >run RAM in "dual channel" mode. If you really bought RAM that is "dual
    >channel" then it's likely you paid too much for it. Several RAM
    >manufacturers have been using "dual channel" as a marketing gimmick. A RAM
    >manufacturer claiming that RAM is dual channel is like a tire manufacturer
    >claiming that a tire is 150MPH. Well, the tire might be able to handle
    >that, but only if the CAR it's installed on can DO 150MPH. So if you pay
    >extra for a 150MPH tire for a Yugo, you just got ripped off. In the same
    >way, if you pay extra for RAM because it is "dual channel", then you just
    >got ripped off. Especially considering that RAM conforms to certain other
    >specifications which are STANDARD. There is NO difference between (two
    >sticks of) PC3200 RAM and (two sticks of) PC3200 "dual channel" RAM, if all
    >other specifications are equal. Yet you will often find the latter two
    >sticks costing more, and advertised as "dual channel". -Dave

    Nah, it wasn't advertised like that I was just reading the readout on
    the program. It obviously incorporates certain characteristics of the
    memory and motherboard to put the information together.

    I bought Crucial RAM, and I most definitely did not overpay. They are
    the best.

    This is what I got:
    2qty 512 MB DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • ECC • 5ns • 2.5V • 64Meg
    x 72

    Thanks for the info I think that's what I thought.

    ---Atreju---

    "Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
    > I have what I thought was 400 MHz RAM. Crucial Technology PC3200. It
    > is Dual Channel. But this program called CPU-Z is reporting it as 200
    > MHz. Is there a faster version which is 400 MHz or is it referred to
    > 400 MHz because it is dual channel?
    >
    > Please clarify for me.
    >

    > ---Atreju---
    What CPU? The FSB can be called 200, but DDRAM runs at Double the clock,
    which gives 400.
    Mike.

    At best buy, they have a few different capacities and speeds of Kingston
    ram. On the label on the box of several of them it says 'not dual channel
    compatible'. I wonder what makes it not dual channel capable?

    "Tweek" <shawnwinget@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > At best buy, they have a few different capacities and speeds of Kingston
    > ram. On the label on the box of several of them it says 'not dual channel
    > compatible'. I wonder what makes it not dual channel capable?

    By itself, that is CORRECT. What the box does not mention, is that TWO
    sticks of that RAM WOULD be dual channel capable. (but one stick is not)

    Dual channel mainboards basically take two sticks of RAM and use it as one
    really wide (data path) stick of RAM. But obviously, they can't do that if
    you only install one stick of RAM. -Dave

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    > "Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
    >>I have what I thought was 400 MHz RAM. Crucial Technology PC3200. It
    >> is Dual Channel. But this program called CPU-Z is reporting it as 200
    >> MHz. Is there a faster version which is 400 MHz or is it referred to
    >> 400 MHz because it is dual channel?
    >>
    >> Please clarify for me.
    >>

    > OH, dual channel has nothing to do with RAM. "Dual Channel" is technology
    > incorporated into certain mainboards. Any RAM can be run in "dual
    > channel" mode, if the RAM is compatible with a motherboard that happens to
    > be able to run RAM in "dual channel" mode. If you really bought RAM that
    > is "dual channel" then it's likely you paid too much for it. Several RAM
    > manufacturers have been using "dual channel" as a marketing gimmick. A
    > RAM manufacturer claiming that RAM is dual channel is like a tire
    > manufacturer claiming that a tire is 150MPH. Well, the tire might be able
    > to handle that, but only if the CAR it's installed on can DO 150MPH. So
    > if you pay extra for a 150MPH tire for a Yugo, you just got ripped off.
    > In the same way, if you pay extra for RAM because it is "dual channel",
    > then you just got ripped off. Especially considering that RAM conforms to
    > certain other specifications which are STANDARD. There is NO difference
    > between (two sticks of) PC3200 RAM and (two sticks of) PC3200 "dual
    > channel" RAM, if all other specifications are equal. Yet you will often
    > find the latter two sticks costing more, and advertised as "dual
    > hannel". -Dave

    Which reminds me of a shop I saw the other day selling 512Meg PC3200 for
    NZ$150 (which is actually quite reasonable) or 1024Meg "Dual Channel" PC3200
    kit ( 2x512) for NZ$600.

    It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad.

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:25:11 GMT, Atreju wrote:

    > I have what I thought was 400 MHz RAM. Crucial Technology PC3200. It
    > is Dual Channel. But this program called CPU-Z is reporting it as 200
    > MHz. Is there a faster version which is 400 MHz or is it referred to
    > 400 MHz because it is dual channel?
    >
    > Please clarify for me.
    >
    > ---Atreju---

    FSB = DDR = Code