Memtest - Proper use of?

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

I just doubled the memory on my Asus P4C800 E Deluxe board from one gig
to two gigs. The original configuration had one deed of Kingston value
RAM and I purchased the same RAM and put it in the other two slots.

My system has been acting a bit strangely, although nothing concrete
that I can point to. As a result, I decided to run memtest.

I've never used this program before and therefore I really don't know
what I'm doing. I made the floppy disk, rebooted and memtest started.
About 40 minutes later, the top line which says Pass, suddenly stopped
at 78% and the whole program was essentially frozen. The bottom lines
where there is a column for errors, had a zero and that gives me the
impression that there were none -- but then why did it stop before it
reached 100%? When is it supposed to stop and how?

How do I find out what this means.

TIA

Louise

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Louise wrote:
> I just doubled the memory on my Asus P4C800 E Deluxe board from one gig
> to two gigs. The original configuration had one deed of Kingston value
> RAM and I purchased the same RAM and put it in the other two slots.
>
> My system has been acting a bit strangely, although nothing concrete
> that I can point to. As a result, I decided to run memtest.
>
> I've never used this program before and therefore I really don't know
> what I'm doing. I made the floppy disk, rebooted and memtest started.
> About 40 minutes later, the top line which says Pass, suddenly stopped
> at 78% and the whole program was essentially frozen. The bottom lines
> where there is a column for errors, had a zero and that gives me the
> impression that there were none -- but then why did it stop before it
> reached 100%? When is it supposed to stop and how?
>
> How do I find out what this means.
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

Sounds like your PC is acting a bit strangely - memtest86 will run
forever, if it sees any memory errors it will display one line per
error. Since you did not get any error lines, your problem may lie
elsewhere, maybe power supply or ???.

Rather obvious, you could go back to the original configuration and test
again. If that is solid, it points back to the memory. Personnaly, I
have never had much luck mixing different brands or types, but you say
you bought the same kind.

Roger

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <r%rud.4397$NQ6.425@fed1read03>, crosseyedpenguin@cox.net
says...
> Louise wrote:
> > I just doubled the memory on my Asus P4C800 E Deluxe board from one gig
> > to two gigs. The original configuration had one deed of Kingston value
> > RAM and I purchased the same RAM and put it in the other two slots.
> >
> > My system has been acting a bit strangely, although nothing concrete
> > that I can point to. As a result, I decided to run memtest.
> >
> > I've never used this program before and therefore I really don't know
> > what I'm doing. I made the floppy disk, rebooted and memtest started.
> > About 40 minutes later, the top line which says Pass, suddenly stopped
> > at 78% and the whole program was essentially frozen. The bottom lines
> > where there is a column for errors, had a zero and that gives me the
> > impression that there were none -- but then why did it stop before it
> > reached 100%? When is it supposed to stop and how?
> >
> > How do I find out what this means.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Louise
>
> Sounds like your PC is acting a bit strangely - memtest86 will run
> forever, if it sees any memory errors it will display one line per
> error. Since you did not get any error lines, your problem may lie
> elsewhere, maybe power supply or ???.
>
> Rather obvious, you could go back to the original configuration and test
> again. If that is solid, it points back to the memory. Personnaly, I
> have never had much luck mixing different brands or types, but you say
> you bought the same kind.
>
> Roger

Thanks -

I guess I'll just test it again and see if it hangs at the same place.
Perhaps there was some kind of blip in the power - that does happen in
this building.

This is the same ram with the same part number, Kingston Value PC 3200 -
two dimms 512 each - purchased in sealed containers from NewEgg. The
only thing I can imagine is that I think Kingston Value ram is actually
rebranded and comes from different manufacturers. Since the original
sticks are year old, perhaps these new ones are from a different
manufacturer - but they supposedly have the same specs.

Louise

\

Fitz

Kingston Value RAM is indeed rebandaged. I bought it once- 2 X 256 MB. One
stick was Samsung and one was Nanya. I couldn't even boot up the system. I
was fairly new to building my own computers at the time and ended up calling
Soyo (motherboard). I actually got to talk to a live person who, when told
what memory I had purchased, told me to "get that garbage out of my
motherboad". Replaced with Crucial, and no problems.

Fitz

Louise wrote:

> This is the same ram with the same part number, Kingston Value PC
3200 -
> two dimms 512 each - purchased in sealed containers from NewEgg. The

> only thing I can imagine is that I think Kingston Value ram is
actually
> rebranded and comes from different manufacturers.

The only Kingston modules I've bought in the past two years were all PC
2100, and they all contained only unbranded (no marks or just size and
speed markings, i.e., 32M x 8 - 7) or second-grade chips (like Spectec
- Micron's brand for used/reject chips, or Elixir, Nanya's equivalent),
never prime chips with real chip makers' complete part numbers. Many
of those modules failed MemTest86 in at least one of my mobos, unless I
underclocked the memory bus speed, and in my experience if a module
fails either MemTest86 or Gold Memory (www.goldmemory.cz), then it will
eventually fail in real life use, provided that the rest of the
hardware is OK and no BIOS memory setting is too fast, except when
MemTest86 ver. 2.5 is used. Apparently it was buggy and could show
gross numbers of errors even with perfect memory.

when I ran memtest - I left it running whilst I went work... it had been
running for 11hrs and was still running!! I think it just changes the
config slightly each time it starts again

pull the new stick out and see what happens. Then if that's fine, remove
old, stick in new and test again. If both times are fine then it might be
down to the memory does not like each other (can happen even if it is the
same make and same type)... could be down to a very small chance im the
timings or the way they have designed the chips or something silly like
that...

maybe play about with the location of the ram in the slots... IE
if you have the ram sticks in slot 1 and 2.. try 1 and 3, 1 and 4, 2 and 4 -
if ya follow... dont do it to much - generally it should only need a couple
of moves if it is that...

Stephen Harding [SplanK]
*****************
Email: steharding@btinternet.com
MSN Messenger: splank@hotmail.com
"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> In article <r%rud.4397$NQ6.425@fed1read03>, crosseyedpenguin@cox.net
> says...
>> Louise wrote:
>> > I just doubled the memory on my Asus P4C800 E Deluxe board from one gig
>> > to two gigs. The original configuration had one deed of Kingston value
>> > RAM and I purchased the same RAM and put it in the other two slots.
>> >
>> > My system has been acting a bit strangely, although nothing concrete
>> > that I can point to. As a result, I decided to run memtest.
>> >
>> > I've never used this program before and therefore I really don't know
>> > what I'm doing. I made the floppy disk, rebooted and memtest started.
>> > About 40 minutes later, the top line which says Pass, suddenly stopped
>> > at 78% and the whole program was essentially frozen. The bottom lines
>> > where there is a column for errors, had a zero and that gives me the
>> > impression that there were none -- but then why did it stop before it
>> > reached 100%? When is it supposed to stop and how?
>> >
>> > How do I find out what this means.
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > Louise
>>
>> Sounds like your PC is acting a bit strangely - memtest86 will run
>> forever, if it sees any memory errors it will display one line per
>> error. Since you did not get any error lines, your problem may lie
>> elsewhere, maybe power supply or ???.
>>
>> Rather obvious, you could go back to the original configuration and test
>> again. If that is solid, it points back to the memory. Personnaly, I
>> have never had much luck mixing different brands or types, but you say
>> you bought the same kind.
>>
>> Roger
>>
> Thanks -
>
> I guess I'll just test it again and see if it hangs at the same place.
> Perhaps there was some kind of blip in the power - that does happen in
> this building.
>
> This is the same ram with the same part number, Kingston Value PC 3200 -
> two dimms 512 each - purchased in sealed containers from NewEgg. The
> only thing I can imagine is that I think Kingston Value ram is actually
> rebranded and comes from different manufacturers. Since the original
> sticks are year old, perhaps these new ones are from a different
> manufacturer - but they supposedly have the same specs.
>
> Louise
>
> \

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <cpdqfq$a08$1@hercules.btinternet.com>, "Stephen Harding
\(SplanK\)" <steharding@btinternet.com> says...
> when I ran memtest - I left it running whilst I went work... it had been
> running for 11hrs and was still running!! I think it just changes the
> config slightly each time it starts again
>
> pull the new stick out and see what happens. Then if that's fine, remove
> old, stick in new and test again. If both times are fine then it might be
> down to the memory does not like each other (can happen even if it is the
> same make and same type)... could be down to a very small chance im the
> timings or the way they have designed the chips or something silly like
> that...
>
> maybe play about with the location of the ram in the slots... IE
> if you have the ram sticks in slot 1 and 2.. try 1 and 3, 1 and 4, 2 and 4 -
> if ya follow... dont do it to much - generally it should only need a couple
> of moves if it is that...
>
> Stephen Harding [SplanK]
> *****************
> Email: steharding@btinternet.com
> MSN Messenger: splank@hotmail.com
> "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > In article <r%rud.4397$NQ6.425@fed1read03>, crosseyedpenguin@cox.net
> > says...

> >> Sounds like your PC is acting a bit strangely - memtest86 will run
> >> forever, if it sees any memory errors it will display one line per
> >> error. Since you did not get any error lines, your problem may lie
> >> elsewhere, maybe power supply or ???.

I ran memtest again and it hung again - this time at a different place.

So I pulled the new ram and ran memtest with the original ram that has
been in the machine for a little over a year, but I'd never tested it.

Well.....the old memory hung as well.

The old memory has been running fine (as far as I can tell), for a
little over a year - no crashes and no really odd behavior.

I know I could continue to fiddle with it, but I'm beginning to question
whether it's worth it. Maybe the memory doesn't like memtest? Maybe
the Asus board doesn't like memtest? I feel kind of silly worrying
about the results of a test when the machine works perfectly.

Is there another program similar to memtest that I might try?

Thoughts?

Louise

Philo

>I just doubled the memory on my Asus P4C800 E Deluxe board from one gig
> to two gigs. The original configuration had one deed of Kingston value
> RAM and I purchased the same RAM and put it in the other two slots.
>
> My system has been acting a bit strangely, although nothing concrete
> that I can point to. As a result, I decided to run memtest.
>
> I've never used this program before and therefore I really don't know
> what I'm doing. I made the floppy disk, rebooted and memtest started.
> About 40 minutes later, the top line which says Pass, suddenly stopped
> at 78% and the whole program was essentially frozen. The bottom lines
> where there is a column for errors, had a zero and that gives me the
> impression that there were none -- but then why did it stop before it
> reached 100%? When is it supposed to stop and how?
>
> How do I find out what this means.

i've used memtest
and found that if there is some serious memory problem...
it will list the error early on in the test
however in other cases, memtest may run for 12 hours or more
with no errors, but by substituting ram...the problem goes away.

so basically memtest is merely one tool to use but by no means
definitive.
so the real test is merely to see if the machine runs ok
btw: sometimes instability can be corrected by slightly underclocking the
ram.

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Louise wrote:
> In article <cpdqfq$a08$1@hercules.btinternet.com>, "Stephen Harding
> \(SplanK\)" <steharding@btinternet.com> says...
>
>>when I ran memtest - I left it running whilst I went work... it had been
>>running for 11hrs and was still running!! I think it just changes the
>>config slightly each time it starts again
>>
>>pull the new stick out and see what happens. Then if that's fine, remove
>>old, stick in new and test again. If both times are fine then it might be
>>down to the memory does not like each other (can happen even if it is the
>>same make and same type)... could be down to a very small chance im the
>>timings or the way they have designed the chips or something silly like
>>that...
>>
>>maybe play about with the location of the ram in the slots... IE
>>if you have the ram sticks in slot 1 and 2.. try 1 and 3, 1 and 4, 2 and 4 -
>>if ya follow... dont do it to much - generally it should only need a couple
>>of moves if it is that...
>>
>>Stephen Harding [SplanK]
>>*****************
>>Email: steharding@btinternet.com
>>MSN Messenger: splank@hotmail.com
>>"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>In article <r%rud.4397$NQ6.425@fed1read03>, crosseyedpenguin@cox.net
>>>says...

> I ran memtest again and it hung again - this time at a different place.
>
> So I pulled the new ram and ran memtest with the original ram that has
> been in the machine for a little over a year, but I'd never tested it.
>
> Well.....the old memory hung as well.
>
> The old memory has been running fine (as far as I can tell), for a
> little over a year - no crashes and no really odd behavior.
>
> I know I could continue to fiddle with it, but I'm beginning to question
> whether it's worth it. Maybe the memory doesn't like memtest? Maybe
> the Asus board doesn't like memtest? I feel kind of silly worrying
> about the results of a test when the machine works perfectly.
>
> Is there another program similar to memtest that I might try?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Louise

With the symptoms you are seeing, I don't think you have a memory
problem. Not all memory problems memtest reports reports are indeed
memory problems. They could be related to overheating, a bad CPU, bad
motherboard... Most memory problems are transient, they may be related
to specific data values or similar memory addresses.

The symptoms say your PC is having some sort of massive failure that
stops all processing. The general rule of debugging this kind of thing
is try the easiest and cheapest first. If you suspect local power
fluctuations, try moving to a different location. After that, start
replacing parts one at a time.

Good luck,

Roger

Go into your bios and see what the machine reports the ddr volts at. I run a
pair of these kingston 512mb sticks in my nf7s v2 and the voltage has to be
2.7 for them to run stable. That is the voltage that is shown in the PC
Health status page of my bios and not necessarily the number by the setting
as they can differ depending on your power supply regulation. Make sure that
it is set to 2.7v and run memtest again.

For what it's worth I have been using memtest and memtest86+ for some years
now and use it as a rough-in guide for all my builds. I have found that the
majority of memory failures seem to show up quickly in test #5. I start the
machine and set the memtest to run test 5. If it is successful for at least
3 passes I run the full test. If it fails with many errors, I give the volts
a bump up and test again. Saves me a lot of time when I'm setting one up.
Pretty near every stick of ram I've seen doesn't mind a bit of a voltage
bump........

Regards, Bob "hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll

philo wrote:

> i've used memtest and found that if there is some
> serious memory problem...it will list the error early
> on in the test however in other cases, memtest may run
> for 12 hours or more with no errors, but by substituting
> ram...the problem goes away.
The problem of no errors goes away when you substitute other ram?

Memtst (like all memory testers) has a problem in that some
memory locations are not in memory. For example, the NIC can
reserve a block of memory. Then when Memtst thinks it is
testing motherboard memory, instead, it is screwing with the
NIC. Video controller creates same complication.

Memory tester must understand and avoid these problems.
Therefore Memtst is constantly being upgraded. Memtst must be
constantly upgraded as these new 'landmines' are discovered.

Too many reasons why this test may do as you report. Too
many others have simply posted 'try this and try that'
speculations. Do you even know if other computer hardware is
good? Does you computer manufacturer provide comprehensive
diagnostics for free? It not, then you must download Memtst
and other diagnostics, one at a time, to verify your other
hardware.

However start by determining YOUR Memtst is the latest
version.

BTW heat is not a reason for failure. Heat is the
diagnostic tool we use to find defective hardware. Heat is
when diagnostics are most effective. If heat is a problem,
then don't cure the symptom - add more fans. Instead replace
the completely defective part that also will not operate, as
it should, in a 100 degree F room.

Louise wrote:
> I ran memtest again and it hung again - this time at a different place.
>
> So I pulled the new ram and ran memtest with the original ram that has
> been in the machine for a little over a year, but I'd never tested it.
>
> Well.....the old memory hung as well.
>
> The old memory has been running fine (as far as I can tell), for a
> little over a year - no crashes and no really odd behavior.
>
> I know I could continue to fiddle with it, but I'm beginning to question
> whether it's worth it. Maybe the memory doesn't like memtest? Maybe
> the Asus board doesn't like memtest? I feel kind of silly worrying
> about the results of a test when the machine works perfectly.
>
> Is there another program similar to memtest that I might try?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Louise

Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote in news:MPG.1c243c63f9de74359897a3@news-
server.nyc.rr.com:

> I ran memtest again and it hung again - this time at a different place.
>
> So I pulled the new ram and ran memtest with the original ram that has
> been in the machine for a little over a year, but I'd never tested it.
>
> Well.....the old memory hung as well.

> I feel kind of silly worrying
> about the results of a test when the machine works perfectly.

It doesnt :)

There is something wrong with your machine. You may not encounter it much
during day to day use but there is something wrong.

Now you may decide its an acceptable risk to keep it like this.

Its very likely it will freeze when you are working with it one day.

Personally I wouldnt. If its hanging in different places it may be power
supply or cooling.

In normal use, how long is the machine switched on for?
Try just switching it on, going into Windows and just leaving it overnight.
Dont touch anything. Does it hang?

--
Lordy

Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote in news:MPG.1c243c63f9de74359897a3@news-
server.nyc.rr.com:

> The old memory has been running fine (as far as I can tell), for a
> little over a year - no crashes and no really odd behavior.

It could be related to how long you have the PC on (more chance of
temperature or PSU problems showing up).

Prior to anymore testing I would also ensure you have the bios settings at
"Normal" (or equivalent) or Failsafe but double check CPU and memory speeds
are as expected during daily use. (Some failsafe modes may make these too
slow)

--
Lordy

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:00:16 GMT, Louise wrote:

> I know I could continue to fiddle with it, but I'm beginning to question
> whether it's worth it. Maybe the memory doesn't like memtest? Maybe
> the Asus board doesn't like memtest? I feel kind of silly worrying
> about the results of a test when the machine works perfectly.
>
> Is there another program similar to memtest that I might try?
>
> Thoughts?

Is the CPU/FSB overclocked?
What's the CPU temp?
Have you tried with *just* the NEW RAM ONLY?

You also mentioned that the system was apparently running fine. If this is
the case [stable - not crashing unexpectedly], then you are probably OK and
shouldn't be too concerned.

If, on the otherhand, you notice that it starts getting flaky then it would
indicate something is amiss [component(s) on the way out etc]. Possibly
try some other diagnostics that check for computational errors.

Louise:

> The old memory has been running fine (as far as I can tell), for a
> little over a year - no crashes and no really odd behavior.

I once ran memtest on my machine just to see how it worked. It kept
hanging up after a few minutes even though my computer has never frozen or
crashed, not once in 3 years.

If you really want to test your system, run Prime95 in torture test mode.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

> Is there another program similar to memtest that I might try?

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

I haven't tried the MS thing, I just found it the other day. If you try
it, let me know how it works.
--
Mac Cool

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <Xns95BCA2922A58lordybigfootcom@130.133.1.4>,
spam_box@gmx.co.uk says...
> Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote in news:MPG.1c243c63f9de74359897a3@news-
> server.nyc.rr.com:
>
> > I ran memtest again and it hung again - this time at a different place.
> >
> > So I pulled the new ram and ran memtest with the original ram that has
> > been in the machine for a little over a year, but I'd never tested it.
> >
> > Well.....the old memory hung as well.
>
> > I feel kind of silly worrying
> > about the results of a test when the machine works perfectly.
>
> It doesnt :)
>
> There is something wrong with your machine. You may not encounter it much
> during day to day use but there is something wrong.
>
> Now you may decide its an acceptable risk to keep it like this.
>
> Its very likely it will freeze when you are working with it one day.
>
> Personally I wouldnt. If its hanging in different places it may be power
> supply or cooling.
>
> In normal use, how long is the machine switched on for?
> Try just switching it on, going into Windows and just leaving it overnight.
> Dont touch anything. Does it hang?

The machine is often on for 48 hours at a time - and no, it never hangs,
although sometimes it gets a bit "sluggish" and I reboot and it speeds
up again.

Temps reported by Lavasoft Everest are 29 motherboard, 51 cpu, 40 for
SATA hard drive.

Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <41BB5C38.4CFDBCBF@hotmail.com>, w_tom1@hotmail.com says...
> Memtst (like all memory testers) has a problem in that some
> memory locations are not in memory. For example, the NIC can
> reserve a block of memory. Then when Memtst thinks it is
> testing motherboard memory, instead, it is screwing with the
> NIC. Video controller creates same complication.
>
> Memory tester must understand and avoid these problems.
> Therefore Memtst is constantly being upgraded. Memtst must be
> constantly upgraded as these new 'landmines' are discovered.
>
> Too many reasons why this test may do as you report. Too
> many others have simply posted 'try this and try that'
> speculations. Do you even know if other computer hardware is
> good? Does you computer manufacturer provide comprehensive
> diagnostics for free? It not, then you must download Memtst
> and other diagnostics, one at a time, to verify your other
> hardware.
>
> However start by determining YOUR Memtst is the latest
> version.
>
> BTW heat is not a reason for failure. Heat is the
> diagnostic tool we use to find defective hardware. Heat is
> when diagnostics are most effective. If heat is a problem,
> then don't cure the symptom - add more fans. Instead replace
> the completely defective part that also will not operate, as
> it should, in a 100 degree F room.
>
> Louise wrote:
> > I ran memtest again and it hung again - this time at a different place.
> >
> > So I pulled the new ram and ran memtest with the original ram that has
> > been in the machine for a little over a year, but I'd never tested it.
> >
> > Well.....the old memory hung as well.
> >
> > The old memory has been running fine (as far as I can tell), for a
> > little over a year - no crashes and no really odd behavior.
> >
> > I know I could continue to fiddle with it, but I'm beginning to question
> > whether it's worth it. Maybe the memory doesn't like memtest? Maybe
> > the Asus board doesn't like memtest? I feel kind of silly worrying
> > about the results of a test when the machine works perfectly.
> >
> > Is there another program similar to memtest that I might try?
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Louise

My memtest is the most recent version 3.2 - I just downloaded it
yesterday.

Heat? After being on for over 24 hours: cpu 51, motherboard 29 and
SATA hard drive 40. Is the CPU too hot? I have a fan mate adjuster for
the cpu fan and I can raise the fan if need be.

Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <10rlaeencsboc2a@corp.supernews.com>, akfitz@mtaonline.net
says...
> Kingston Value RAM is indeed rebandaged. I bought it once- 2 X 256 MB. One
> stick was Samsung and one was Nanya. I couldn't even boot up the system. I
> was fairly new to building my own computers at the time and ended up calling
> Soyo (motherboard). I actually got to talk to a live person who, when told
> what memory I had purchased, told me to "get that garbage out of my
> motherboad". Replaced with Crucial, and no problems.
>
> Fitz

I've been thinking about that - but - 2 gig is pretty expensive.

I will never ever buy it again when I get a new system.

Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <10rlaeencsboc2a@corp.supernews.com>, akfitz@mtaonline.net
says...
> Kingston Value RAM is indeed rebandaged. I bought it once- 2 X 256 MB. One
> stick was Samsung and one was Nanya. I couldn't even boot up the system. I
> was fairly new to building my own computers at the time and ended up calling
> Soyo (motherboard). I actually got to talk to a live person who, when told
> what memory I had purchased, told me to "get that garbage out of my
> motherboad". Replaced with Crucial, and no problems.
>
> Fitz

I just want to thank everyone for responding so thoroughly that I began
to look at things I'd never paid much attention to before.

I found the temp reading in the Bios (rather than using Everest), and
suddenly saw the cpu go up to 75c.

Needless to say I got very nervous. Opened up the machine and
discovered that the cpu fan wasn't turning at all. Raced to turn off
the machine and then started following the wires.

From what I can tell, I accidentally pulled the power plug from the cpu
to the motherboard when I was fighting to get at one of the ram slots.
It seems my machine has been "funny" because the cpu hasn't been cooled
in over 24 hours.

All better now - when I recover from my "trauma" (and get some sleep),
I'll run memtest again and see what happens now that I have a cooling
fan on the cpu :)

Louise

Method for getting a reliable answer to "is CPU too hot?" is
to read number from Intel(?)/AMD(?) spec sheet. At 70 degrees
F, the CPU must be about 18 degrees C below its maximum
temperature (so that it will not be too hot in a 100 degree F
room). Add a safety margin of 5 degrees. Do those numbers
and you should be able to tell us your CPU is not too hot.

Louise "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
<MPG.1c25cbf22c1ab9439897a6@news-server.nyc.rr.com>:

> I found the temp reading in the Bios (rather than using Everest), and

> suddenly saw the cpu go up to 75c.

> Opened up the machine and discovered that the cpu fan wasn't
> turning at all.

> All better now - when I recover from my "trauma" (and get some
sleep),
> I'll run memtest again and see what happens now that I have a cooling

> fan on the cpu :)

It's good you have a Pentium 4 with inherent overheat protection,
rather than an Athlon 32, which lacks this.

> The machine is often on for 48 hours at a time - and no, it
> never hangs, athough sometimes it gets a bit "sluggish" and
> I reboot and it speeds up again.

If Memtest86 finds an error, there definitely is an error that
shouldn't be ignored because will eventually make Windows crash, and
you shouldn't accept the memory unless the problem lies elsewhere, such
as with the power supply or incorrect BIOS settings. Have you checked
those settings? Some can be set too fast even when the BIOS is
configured for automatic memory settings (SPD chip on the memory
module).

> From what I can tell, I accidentally pulled the power plug from the cpu
> to the motherboard when I was fighting to get at one of the ram slots.
> It seems my machine has been "funny" because the cpu hasn't been cooled
> in over 24 hours.

That'll do it, all right.

do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com wrote:
> Louise "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>fan on the cpu :)
>

> It's good you have a Pentium 4 with inherent overheat protection,
> rather than an Athlon 32, which lacks this.

Wrong. Athlons had this long before motherboard manufacturers bothered
to implement it.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

spodosaurus:

>> It's good you have a Pentium 4 with inherent overheat protection,
>> rather than an Athlon 32, which lacks this.
>
> Wrong. Athlons had this long before motherboard manufacturers bothered
> to implement it.

I had a 1.4Ghz Athlon and Abit motherboard with built in overheat
protection, that was about 5 years ago.
--
Mac Cool