Can't Boot WinME :Is this a real error message?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 8, 2005 11:01:03 AM

Or some message put out by virus to mislead ? How do I begin to get rid of
it,without losing my data ?? Can't seem to start PC in safe mode, or from
startup disk without message returning. Can't get to C: prompt HELP !

Err Message is follows:

the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\windows\ifshlp.sys

the following file is missing or corrupted: c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd
type the name of the windows loader (e.g., C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd)

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 7:11:17 PM

The message is genuine enough.

If you boot to DOS using a floppy can you see if you have the file
vmm32.vxd in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder? If not then you may well have
to reinstall Win Me. One way you can check whether vmm32.vxd is missing
or not is by typing the following at the A:\> prompt:

DIR C:\VMM32.VXD /S
Does this find the file? If yes, is it in your windows\system folder?

If present you should see something like:

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

VMM32 VXD 1,032,968 15/08/00 14:34 VMM32.VXD
1 file(s) 1,032,968 bytes

Don't worry about the details, your date and size will most likely be
different, what is important though is to locate the file and confirm,
hopefully, that it is in your windows\system folder)

but if absent you will see:
File Not Found

If the file is still present, and I hope it is, see MS KB258471 - "Error
Message: The Following File Is Missing or Corrupted:
C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=258471 for a
possible solution to the problem including details of how to extract a new
copy of ifshlp.sys.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

LesGC3 <LesGC3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Or some message put out by virus to mislead ? How do I begin to get
> rid of it,without losing my data ?? Can't seem to start PC in safe
> mode, or from startup disk without message returning. Can't get to C:
> prompt HELP !
>
> Err Message is follows:
>
> the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\windows\ifshlp.sys
>
> the following file is missing or corrupted:
> c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd type the name of the windows loader
> (e.g., C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd)
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 7:16:35 PM

"Error Message: The Following File Is Missing or Corrupted:
C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258471

Mart

"LesGC3" <LesGC3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Or some message put out by virus to mislead ? How do I begin to get rid of
> it,without losing my data ?? Can't seem to start PC in safe mode, or from
> startup disk without message returning. Can't get to C: prompt HELP !
>
> Err Message is follows:
>
> the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\windows\ifshlp.sys
>
> the following file is missing or corrupted: c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd
> type the name of the windows loader (e.g., C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd)

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:54:01 AM

You can do a Files and Folders Search for scanreg.ini,
open it, and add beneath the last line in the file the following <without
the quotes> "Files=10,vmm32.vxd". This will cause the Registry Checker to
back up vmm32.vxd. Had you done this you would have 5 potentially-good
copies of vmm32.vxd in C:\Windows\SysBckup\rb000.cab + rb001.cab +
rb002.cab
etc.

Thanks to Mike Maltby for this tip.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol