Can't Boot WinME :Is this a real error message?

Or some message put out by virus to mislead ? How do I begin to get rid of
it,without losing my data ?? Can't seem to start PC in safe mode, or from
startup disk without message returning. Can't get to C: prompt HELP !

Err Message is follows:

the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\windows\ifshlp.sys

the following file is missing or corrupted: c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd
type the name of the windows loader (e.g., C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd)

3 answers Last reply
More about boot winme real error message

    The message is genuine enough.

    If you boot to DOS using a floppy can you see if you have the file
    vmm32.vxd in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder? If not then you may well have
    to reinstall Win Me. One way you can check whether vmm32.vxd is missing
    or not is by typing the following at the A:\> prompt:

    DIR C:\VMM32.VXD /S
    Does this find the file? If yes, is it in your windows\system folder?

    If present you should see something like:

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

    VMM32 VXD 1,032,968 15/08/00 14:34 VMM32.VXD
    1 file(s) 1,032,968 bytes

    Don't worry about the details, your date and size will most likely be
    different, what is important though is to locate the file and confirm,
    hopefully, that it is in your windows\system folder)

    but if absent you will see:
    File Not Found

    If the file is still present, and I hope it is, see MS KB258471 - "Error
    Message: The Following File Is Missing or Corrupted:
    C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=258471 for a
    possible solution to the problem including details of how to extract a new
    copy of ifshlp.sys.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    LesGC3 <LesGC3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Or some message put out by virus to mislead ? How do I begin to get
    > rid of it,without losing my data ?? Can't seem to start PC in safe
    > mode, or from startup disk without message returning. Can't get to C:
    > prompt HELP !
    >
    > Err Message is follows:
    >
    > the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\windows\ifshlp.sys
    >
    > the following file is missing or corrupted:
    > c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd type the name of the windows loader
    > (e.g., C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd)

    "Error Message: The Following File Is Missing or Corrupted:
    C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258471

    Mart

    "LesGC3" <LesGC3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Or some message put out by virus to mislead ? How do I begin to get rid of
    > it,without losing my data ?? Can't seem to start PC in safe mode, or from
    > startup disk without message returning. Can't get to C: prompt HELP !
    >
    > Err Message is follows:
    >
    > the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\windows\ifshlp.sys
    >
    > the following file is missing or corrupted: c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd
    > type the name of the windows loader (e.g., C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd)

    You can do a Files and Folders Search for scanreg.ini,
    open it, and add beneath the last line in the file the following <without
    the quotes> "Files=10,vmm32.vxd". This will cause the Registry Checker to
    back up vmm32.vxd. Had you done this you would have 5 potentially-good
    copies of vmm32.vxd in C:\Windows\SysBckup\rb000.cab + rb001.cab +
    rb002.cab
    etc.

    Thanks to Mike Maltby for this tip.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > The message is genuine enough.
    >
    > If you boot to DOS using a floppy can you see if you have the file
    > vmm32.vxd in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder? If not then you may well have
    > to reinstall Win Me. One way you can check whether vmm32.vxd is missing
    > or not is by typing the following at the A:\> prompt:
    >
    > DIR C:\VMM32.VXD /S
    > Does this find the file? If yes, is it in your windows\system folder?
    >
    > If present you should see something like:
    >
    > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    >
    > VMM32 VXD 1,032,968 15/08/00 14:34 VMM32.VXD
    > 1 file(s) 1,032,968 bytes
    >
    > Don't worry about the details, your date and size will most likely be
    > different, what is important though is to locate the file and confirm,
    > hopefully, that it is in your windows\system folder)
    >
    > but if absent you will see:
    > File Not Found
    >
    > If the file is still present, and I hope it is, see MS KB258471 - "Error
    > Message: The Following File Is Missing or Corrupted:
    > C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=258471 for a
    > possible solution to the problem including details of how to extract a new
    > copy of ifshlp.sys.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > LesGC3 <LesGC3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Or some message put out by virus to mislead ? How do I begin to get
    > > rid of it,without losing my data ?? Can't seem to start PC in safe
    > > mode, or from startup disk without message returning. Can't get to C:
    > > prompt HELP !
    > >
    > > Err Message is follows:
    > >
    > > the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\windows\ifshlp.sys
    > >
    > > the following file is missing or corrupted:
    > > c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd type the name of the windows loader
    > > (e.g., C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd)

Boot Microsoft Error Message Windows