linux or bust

just picked up pc format with suse 9.1 included and some basic instructions
on installation. Any advice or links i should read before commencing? I am
of course backing up my data.

I also bought one of those cables that are aerodynamic instead of those flat
ribbon cables. I also mounted my two drives in 5 1/4 caddys. They're those
quick release ones.
12 answers Last reply
More about linux bust

    Mr Jessop wrote:

    > just picked up pc format with suse 9.1 included and some basic
    > instructions
    > on installation. Any advice or links i should read before commencing? I
    > am of course backing up my data.

    Yeah... Remember, it isn't Windows, so don't expect it to act, look, or feel
    like Windows. Remember, it took you a long time through a slow process to
    learn Windows as good as you do now, so expect the same from Linux.

    Starting to use Linux for the first time, you'll probably want to use KDE
    instead of Gnome, and SuSE is far more KDE-centric anyway.

    You'll love SuSE Linux. I used it for a long time, and still have my 9.1
    disks. I've since started using Mandrake, because the machine I'm on runs
    better with Mandrake, but I've always preferred SuSE.

    > I also bought one of those cables that are aerodynamic instead of those
    > flat
    > ribbon cables. I also mounted my two drives in 5 1/4 caddys. They're
    > those quick release ones.

    Flat ribbon cables are actually more aerodynamic, as you can fold them over
    against the side of the case and get them cleanly out of the way of the
    air. The round cables are stiff, and too big in diameter to do the same,
    and hence, are actually less aerodynamic. But hey...they do look cooler...

    In article Mr Jessop says...
    > just picked up pc format with suse 9.1 included and some basic instructions
    > on installation. Any advice or links i should read before commencing? I am
    > of course backing up my data.

    Are you planning to dualboot or completely replace Windows? If you're
    planning to dualboot, free up some hard drive space first rather than
    using the installation routine to do it. Makes life easier for
    partitioning as unless you know your way around the advanced options in
    the installer it'll resize the Windows partition to what it wants.

    --
    Conor

    A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
    hear him. Is he still wrong?

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article Mr Jessop says...
    >> just picked up pc format with suse 9.1 included and some basic
    >> instructions
    >> on installation. Any advice or links i should read before commencing? I
    >> am
    >> of course backing up my data.
    >>
    > Are you planning to dualboot or completely replace Windows? If you're
    > planning to dualboot, free up some hard drive space first rather than
    > using the installation routine to do it. Makes life easier for
    > partitioning as unless you know your way around the advanced options in
    > the installer it'll resize the Windows partition to what it wants.
    >

    > --
    > Conor

    Nearly finished backin up data drives (f and g) seperate slave drive.

    winxp on d partition of 40gb master.
    win98 on C.
    now deleted. STill 1gb of used space according to pie graph. I am supposed
    to be able to view hidden files. automatic dual boot set up in dos using
    the winxp. That was a minimum installation with office, nero, and internet
    as a fail safe. I wish to replace 98 with linux. Can i run a virtual
    windows on linux or something or have loads of xp partitions with only 1
    major application on each? They seem to interfere with each other.

    In article Mr Jessop says...
    > Can i run a virtual
    > windows on linux or something or have loads of xp partitions with only 1
    > major application on each? They seem to interfere with each other.

    What are you trying to acheive? Thats question is about as clear as mud.

    --

    www.kde.org
    www.gnome.org

    > In article Mr Jessop says...
    >> Can i run a virtual
    >> windows on linux or something or have loads of xp partitions with only 1
    >> major application on each? They seem to interfere with each other.
    >>
    > What are you trying to acheive? Thats question is about as clear as mud.

    Running a more stable system by running windows applications on a virtual xp
    os but actually be running linux. I know you can run virtual os on top of
    NT. I have also read about software that allows multiple OS installs so you
    can have one application per OS. This stops them overwriting the same dlls
    over and over and reducing overall system performance as well as stability.

    "I was merely enquiring if it was possible to run a virtual windows machine
    on top of linux." so that should application or os become unstable i don't
    have to do a complete restart.

    Mr Jessop:

    > Running a more stable system by running windows applications on a
    > virtual xp os but actually be running linux. I know you can run
    > virtual os on top of NT. I have also read about software that allows
    > multiple OS installs so you can have one application per OS. This
    > stops them overwriting the same dlls over and over and reducing
    > overall system performance as well as stability.
    >
    > "I was merely enquiring if it was possible to run a virtual windows
    > machine on top of linux." so that should application or os become
    > unstable i don't have to do a complete restart.

    XP is stable. If you have an application that is crashing and bringing the
    whole OS down with it then I don't see how you will solve the problem by
    introducing yet another OS. If you have an XP install that is unstable,
    then we need to troubleshoot the unstable system.

    Have you tried running the errant application in WINE?
    --
    Mac Cool

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > Mr Jessop:
    >
    >> Running a more stable system by running windows applications on a
    >> virtual xp os but actually be running linux. I know you can run
    >> virtual os on top of NT. I have also read about software that allows
    >> multiple OS installs so you can have one application per OS. This
    >> stops them overwriting the same dlls over and over and reducing
    >> overall system performance as well as stability.
    >>
    >> "I was merely enquiring if it was possible to run a virtual windows
    >> machine on top of linux." so that should application or os become
    >> unstable i don't have to do a complete restart.
    >
    > XP is stable. If you have an application that is crashing and bringing the
    > whole OS down with it then I don't see how you will solve the problem by
    > introducing yet another OS. If you have an XP install that is unstable,
    > then we need to troubleshoot the unstable system.
    >
    > Have you tried running the errant application in WINE?

    no. pinnacle did some odd things to my system. i want to run nero burn and
    pinnacle dvd burner. Best if i had a seperate os install for each one.

    Mr Jessop wrote:

    >>> "I was merely enquiring if it was possible to run a virtual windows
    >>> machine on top of linux." so that should application or os become
    >>> unstable i don't have to do a complete restart.

    Yes, you can purchase and run VMWare, which then you could install and run
    WinXP as a virtual machine.

    http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html

    >> XP is stable. If you have an application that is crashing and bringing
    >> the whole OS down with it then I don't see how you will solve the problem
    >> by introducing yet another OS. If you have an XP install that is
    >> unstable, then we need to troubleshoot the unstable system.

    Or, with a product like VMWare, or running a Windows app in Wine or
    something similar, you could just close out the crashed window and go on.

    Now, I'm not saying that Linux can't be crashed, because my current hardware
    problem has frozen my system more than a few times. However, once Linux is
    properly running, you'll be up for months, or possibly even years without
    ever crashing. However, everything must be supported and configured
    properly for it to work properly.

    XP, is fairly stable too, but not quite to the degree Linux is. You still
    get an occasional BSOD, and drivers can make the OS unstable. However, that
    takes you back to my statement about Linux being configured properly. Same
    goes for XP. BUT, Linux still is more reliable, IMHO.

    >> Have you tried running the errant application in WINE?

    > no. pinnacle did some odd things to my system. i want to run nero burn
    > and
    > pinnacle dvd burner. Best if i had a seperate os install for each one.

    I'm not sure about the Pinnacle software, though for video editing ther is
    MainActor and KDEnlive. For CD/DVD burning, you can use K3b, which is a
    virtual copy of Nero Burning ROM.

    Ruel Smith:

    > XP, is fairly stable too, but not quite to the degree Linux is. You
    > still get an occasional BSOD

    Three years with XP Home and no BSODs, no crashes I can remember that
    brought down the OS. I think the key to having stable XP system is
    compatible components and not installing a lot of junk software.
    --
    Mac Cool

    Mac Cool wrote:

    > Ruel Smith:
    >
    >> XP, is fairly stable too, but not quite to the degree Linux is. You
    >> still get an occasional BSOD
    >
    > Three years with XP Home and no BSODs, no crashes I can remember that
    > brought down the OS. I think the key to having stable XP system is
    > compatible components and not installing a lot of junk software.

    I agree, and I did qualify my statements, claiming that, like Linux, a
    properly setup XP system was stable. However, I've had device drivers bring
    the system down. I had a condition where my HP PSC 950 drivers wouldn't let
    me shutdown cleanly. I reinstalled Windows and the driver to fix it and it
    still existed. Recently, I installed 2 new HDD's and striped them and
    installed everything from scratch. I got the latest drivers from HP and
    installed them and they now work fine. However, strangely, my PowerDVD
    application won't play a DVD without crashing, and I can't burn a DVD with
    Nero.

    There are headaches associated with both operating systems. Nothing is
    perfect.

    i have had nvidea and ati videocard drivers conflict with something going on
    in a web browser and cause a blue screen and a countdown to a memory dump.
    in each case rolling back to an earlier driver solved the problem.

    Oddly enough in each case the drivers were causing extra performance in
    games it was only internet sites and even then only certain ones causing the
    failure.

Homebuilt Systems