Closed Solved

Does a new motherboard need a new Windows?

I'm RMAing my current motherboard (Asrock P55 Pro) and CPU (i5 760) and am planning on purchasing an AM3 motherboard with a Phenom II x4 965.

Would I need to get a new Windows 7 Disk if I bought the OEM version before?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about does motherboard windows
  1. Does it need new Windows 7 disk... No, you'll be able to utilize your old disk.
  2. Will I have to format my current hard drives?
  3. Best answer
    Yes... any time you go to a new motherboard, it is highly recommended doing a fresh install of the OS.
  4. When will I be able to do that? After I get on the OS? or right after BIOS (booting from odd)?
  5. Once you install the new motherboard, boot from the CD the first time around with the OS disk installed. At that point do a custom install, format the drive and install a fresh copy of Windows.

Please remember to make a copy of all your data or important stuff before formatting your drives, so you don't loss anything :D
  6. tecmo34 said:
    Yes... any time you go to a new motherboard, it is highly recommended doing a fresh install of the OS.

Sorry, but I disagree. Unless you run into serious stability problems that you can't resolve easily and in a timely manner, you can use your existing installation.

Just boot normally and install the necessary drivers as Windows is asking you during startup. You may need a few restarts, but it should all be ok in the end.

The only caveat may be that you probably need to re-activate your Windows. It will detect a major hardware change and will ask you to re-activate.
  7. darkguset said:
    Sorry, but I disagree. Unless you run into serious stability problems that you can't resolve easily and in a timely manner, you can use your existing installation.

Fair statement... :lol:

You can say each person has their own though process on to reinstall or not, kind of like to update BIOS or not when everything is running fine :D
  8. I'm on the re-install side. Whenever I replace a motherboard for one of my clients (even if it is the same model), I always recommend doing a fresh install. It just saves me and my client time and frustration. I'd rather take the time to back up all their data and re-install any programs just to ensure everything is proper. Plus, it's not good for a reputation to have to "re-fix" a computer.

To each his own, though.
  9. Best answer selected by nikorr.
  10. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Intel i5 ASrock Windows 7