Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Does a new motherboard need a new Windows?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 3, 2011 11:18:31 PM

I'm RMAing my current motherboard (Asrock P55 Pro) and CPU (i5 760) and am planning on purchasing an AM3 motherboard with a Phenom II x4 965.

Would I need to get a new Windows 7 Disk if I bought the OEM version before?

More about : motherboard windows

a c 235 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2011 11:23:03 PM

Does it need new Windows 7 disk... No, you'll be able to utilize your old disk.

Score
March 3, 2011 11:26:21 PM

Will I have to format my current hard drives?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 235 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2011 11:28:18 PM

Yes... any time you go to a new motherboard, it is highly recommended doing a fresh install of the OS.
March 3, 2011 11:34:02 PM

When will I be able to do that? After I get on the OS? or right after BIOS (booting from odd)?
Score
a c 235 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2011 11:36:46 PM

Once you install the new motherboard, boot from the CD the first time around with the OS disk installed. At that point do a custom install, format the drive and install a fresh copy of Windows.

Please remember to make a copy of all your data or important stuff before formatting your drives, so you don't loss anything :D 
Score
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2011 11:50:43 PM

tecmo34 said:
Yes... any time you go to a new motherboard, it is highly recommended doing a fresh install of the OS.

Sorry, but I disagree. Unless you run into serious stability problems that you can't resolve easily and in a timely manner, you can use your existing installation.

Just boot normally and install the necessary drivers as Windows is asking you during startup. You may need a few restarts, but it should all be ok in the end.

The only caveat may be that you probably need to re-activate your Windows. It will detect a major hardware change and will ask you to re-activate.
Score
a c 235 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2011 12:00:05 AM

darkguset said:
Sorry, but I disagree. Unless you run into serious stability problems that you can't resolve easily and in a timely manner, you can use your existing installation.

Fair statement... :lol: 

You can say each person has their own though process on to reinstall or not, kind of like to update BIOS or not when everything is running fine :D 
Score
March 4, 2011 12:07:34 AM

I'm on the re-install side. Whenever I replace a motherboard for one of my clients (even if it is the same model), I always recommend doing a fresh install. It just saves me and my client time and frustration. I'd rather take the time to back up all their data and re-install any programs just to ensure everything is proper. Plus, it's not good for a reputation to have to "re-fix" a computer.

To each his own, though.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2012 12:05:34 PM

Best answer selected by nikorr.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2012 12:05:57 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score