error loading OS when installing new WD 200 gig HD

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

have been trying to install a new WD 200 GB EIDE drive on my
Abit VH6-II motherboard with bios 7F. This bios is supposed to
work for > 160 GB drives. I used the "data lifeguard tools"
included with the drive to partition, format and copy files from
my old fat 32 40 gig HD onto the new. The OS is the origional Win
2000 with SP4
installed over it before copying. When I unplug the old drive and
plug in the new, on booting I get the message "Error Loading OS".
If I boot up from the old drive with the new one as the slave (CS
selection), the OS sees the drive, and all the files seem to be
there.

I've also tried partitioning and copying with partition magic 7.

If I try to boot my system off the Windows 2000 CD, it doesn't
recognize the new drive. So I can't install directly to the new
drive. My understanding is that the early Win 2000 can't handle
drives > 137 MB.

I've tried changing the bios settings to force the drive to use
LBA or LARGE addressing - no change.

I've tried copying to a 40 gig fat32 partition in addition to
large and small NTFS partitions.

Any suggestions?

Bob
5 answers Last reply
More about error loading installing
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Bob" <bobnospam1@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > have been trying to install a new WD 200 GB EIDE drive on my
    > Abit VH6-II motherboard with bios 7F. This bios is supposed to
    > work for > 160 GB drives. I used the "data lifeguard tools"
    > included with the drive to partition, format and copy files from
    > my old fat 32 40 gig HD onto the new. The OS is the origional Win
    > 2000 with SP4
    > installed over it before copying. When I unplug the old drive and
    > plug in the new, on booting I get the message "Error Loading OS".
    > If I boot up from the old drive with the new one as the slave (CS
    > selection), the OS sees the drive, and all the files seem to be
    > there.

    ON the same IDE cable as the new hard drive, is there something set as
    slave? -Dave
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Bob" <bobnospam1@softhome.net> wrote in message
    | have been trying to install a new WD 200 GB EIDE drive on my
    | Abit VH6-II motherboard with bios 7F. This bios is supposed to
    | work for > 160 GB drives. I used the "data lifeguard tools"
    | included with the drive to partition, format and copy files from
    | my old fat 32 40 gig HD onto the new. The OS is the origional Win
    | 2000 with SP4
    | installed over it before copying. When I unplug the old drive and
    | plug in the new, on booting I get the message "Error Loading OS".
    | If I boot up from the old drive with the new one as the slave (CS
    | selection), the OS sees the drive, and all the files seem to be
    | there.
    |
    | I've also tried partitioning and copying with partition magic 7.
    |
    | If I try to boot my system off the Windows 2000 CD, it doesn't
    | recognize the new drive. So I can't install directly to the new
    | drive. My understanding is that the early Win 2000 can't handle
    | drives > 137 MB.
    |
    | I've tried changing the bios settings to force the drive to use
    | LBA or LARGE addressing - no change.
    |
    | I've tried copying to a 40 gig fat32 partition in addition to
    | large and small NTFS partitions.
    |
    | Any suggestions?
    |
    | Bob

    Hi Bob -

    Maybe you need to create a Master Boot Record (MBR) on the new drive?

    Since your Windows 2000 CD doesn't support 48-bit LBA drives, you'll either
    have to beg or borrow a slip-streamed copy with the latest service pack or
    build your own slip-streamed CD (Google on Windows 2000 Slipstream and
    you'll probably find many pages with step-by-step instructions -- not hard
    to do at all and, later, it'll make reinstalling a breeze as you won't have
    to apply the latest service pack).

    Once you've got a CD that supports 48-bit LBA drives, boot with the CD to
    the Recovery Console and type the command FIXMBR (I seem to recall there's
    no additional arguments needed for the command line, but, if there is,
    "FIXMBR /?" will tell you what they are).

    Perhaps your Data Lifeguard Tools has an option to build a MBR? Worth a
    look.

    Alternatively, if Microsoft has available a Recovery diskette set download
    that's been modified to support 48-bit LBA drives, that might be an
    alternative. Search Microsoft's website for that possibility.

    Jef
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Bob wrote:

    > have been trying to install a new WD 200 GB EIDE drive on my
    > Abit VH6-II motherboard with bios 7F. This bios is supposed to
    > work for > 160 GB drives. I used the "data lifeguard tools"
    > included with the drive to partition, format and copy files from
    > my old fat 32 40 gig HD onto the new. The OS is the origional Win
    > 2000 with SP4
    > installed over it before copying. When I unplug the old drive and
    > plug in the new, on booting I get the message "Error Loading OS".
    > If I boot up from the old drive with the new one as the slave (CS
    > selection), the OS sees the drive, and all the files seem to be
    > there.

    Two questions: Is the partition set active? Also, what does your
    Boot.ini file look like? If there is a comment citing Disk "signature"
    with a number after it i.e.(8b467c12), it could be your new disk needs
    the signature comment removed from Boot.ini.

    This does not explain why booting from the CD won't allow you to see
    the HD, but one problem at a time.

    > I've also tried partitioning and copying with partition magic 7.
    >
    > If I try to boot my system off the Windows 2000 CD, it doesn't
    > recognize the new drive. So I can't install directly to the new
    > drive. My understanding is that the early Win 2000 can't handle
    > drives > 137 MB.
    >
    > I've tried changing the bios settings to force the drive to use
    > LBA or LARGE addressing - no change.
    >
    > I've tried copying to a 40 gig fat32 partition in addition to
    > large and small NTFS partitions.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Bob

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Bob" <bobnospam1@softhome.net> wrote in message
    | have been trying to install a new WD 200 GB EIDE drive on my
    | Abit VH6-II motherboard with bios 7F. This bios is supposed to
    | work for > 160 GB drives. I used the "data lifeguard tools"
    | included with the drive to partition, format and copy files from
    | my old fat 32 40 gig HD onto the new. The OS is the origional Win
    | 2000 with SP4
    | installed over it before copying. When I unplug the old drive and
    | plug in the new, on booting I get the message "Error Loading OS".
    | If I boot up from the old drive with the new one as the slave (CS
    | selection), the OS sees the drive, and all the files seem to be
    | there.
    |
    | I've also tried partitioning and copying with partition magic 7.
    |
    | If I try to boot my system off the Windows 2000 CD, it doesn't
    | recognize the new drive. So I can't install directly to the new
    | drive. My understanding is that the early Win 2000 can't handle
    | drives > 137 MB.
    |
    | I've tried changing the bios settings to force the drive to use
    | LBA or LARGE addressing - no change.
    |
    | I've tried copying to a 40 gig fat32 partition in addition to
    | large and small NTFS partitions.
    |
    | Any suggestions?
    |
    | Bob

    Hi Bob -

    Sorry I didn't catch this before (D'oh!)...

    Western Digital drives are a unique creature with their jumper settings.

    When the drive is alone on an IDE cable, the jumper must be removed or
    placed in the neutral position.

    The only time you set the jumper on a WD drive is when the drive is:

    1. Set as MA (Master) on a cable where two drives are connected, and the
    other drive is set as SL (Slave).

    2. Set as SL on a cable where two drives are connected, and the other drive
    is set as MA.

    3. Set as CS on a cable where two drives are connected, and the other drive
    is also set as CS. Further, the position on the cable will determine which
    drive is Master and which is Slave... the blue connector at one end of the
    cable connecting to the motherboard, the black connector at the other end of
    the cable connecting to the Master drive and the gray connector in the
    middle connecting to the Slave drive.

    The new drive still may require a Master Boot Record be established (see my
    original post).

    Jef
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Bob" <bobnospam1@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > have been trying to install a new WD 200 GB EIDE drive on my
    > Abit VH6-II motherboard with bios 7F. This bios is supposed to
    > work for > 160 GB drives. I used the "data lifeguard tools"
    > included with the drive to partition, format and copy files
    from
    > my old fat 32 40 gig HD onto the new. The OS is the origional
    Win
    > 2000 with SP4
    > installed over it before copying. When I unplug the old drive
    and
    > plug in the new, on booting I get the message "Error Loading
    OS".
    > If I boot up from the old drive with the new one as the slave
    (CS
    > selection), the OS sees the drive, and all the files seem to be
    > there.
    >
    > I've also tried partitioning and copying with partition magic
    7.

    > If I try to boot my system off the Windows 2000 CD, it doesn't
    > recognize the new drive. So I can't install directly to the new
    > drive. My understanding is that the early Win 2000 can't handle
    > drives > 137 MB.
    >
    > I've tried changing the bios settings to force the drive to use
    > LBA or LARGE addressing - no change.
    >
    > I've tried copying to a 40 gig fat32 partition in addition to
    > large and small NTFS partitions.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I finally tracked down my
    solution on
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;305098

    I used partition magic to delete the partition created on my
    slip-streamed W2000/SP4 disk I created on Jeff's advise. That
    seems to have done it.

    Bob

Homebuilt Western Digital Systems