windows xp upgrade from ME

i updated the original thread but it kept it on page 6
(feb. 18). sorry for double posting...

ok. bought winxp upgrade and booted from that cd. it
got to the point where it says "setup cannot find
previous version...." it then asked for my win ME cd and
i hit <enter> as prompted. it then thinks a few seconds
and prompts me again for my win me cd. there is no way
(through the default interface) to navigate it as you
described to the win9X folder. now what should i do?

the file BASE2.CAB
>and several other cab files including PRECOPY.CAB,
CATALOG.CAB, and others
>such as NET3.CAB, DRIVER5.CAB and WIN_8.CAB (total size
at least 153MB and
>at least 52 files plus probably a folder) then you can
use an XP upgrade
>CD. You will still be able to clean install XP but will
be asked to
>insert your Win Me during the installation to verify
your eligibility to
>use the upgrade version.
>
>If however your Win Me CD is what is known as a Recovery
CD then you will
>only be able to use an upgrade version of XP if you
upgrade from a running
>Win Me system as a Recovery CD cannot be used to verify
eligibility in the
>same way as a Win Me CD.
>--
>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

>eastons3541@yahoo.com
>
>> my gateway computer came with ME. i tried to
reinstall a
>> clean copy of ME on the computer and it "killed" it.
>> after much advice, i reformatted the HD, wrote zeroes,
>> etc- all successful- no error messages or other
>> indications that my HD is bad. and now my hard drive is
>> supposedly ready to go. i tried reinstalling ME again,
>> and it just won't install. it freezes before it even
>> starts- and according to gateway, the CD is now bad.
>>
>> i even went as far as buying a brand new hard drive
just
>> in case the drive was bad. but at the same point of
>> installation- the very beginning, the computer just
>> freezes.
>>
>> i insert the install cd, boot up, choose "install
>> windows", it shows some text, tells me that it's
>> preparing to install windows, and then the screen goes
>> black. i wait for an hour, nothing. drives are not
>> running.
>>
>> i want to upgrade to XP, but am unsure if i need to buy
>> the full version or the upgrade. my ME is legit and
OEM,
>> but it's just not installed. i'd hate to spend $200
when
>> i only have to spend $100
>
>.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows upgrade

    Hello,

    Windows XP upgrade has to find a previous version of either Windows 98, 98
    Se, Me, or 2000. If the version is on your hard drive it shouldn't be a
    problem, it will find it. If it doesn't insert in you OS disk (Or any other
    OS disk for that matter) so it can find that and it will continue.

    computergeek

    "george" wrote:

    > i updated the original thread but it kept it on page 6
    > (feb. 18). sorry for double posting...
    >

    > ok. bought winxp upgrade and booted from that cd. it
    > got to the point where it says "setup cannot find
    > previous version...." it then asked for my win ME cd and
    > i hit <enter> as prompted. it then thinks a few seconds
    > and prompts me again for my win me cd. there is no way
    > (through the default interface) to navigate it as you
    > described to the win9X folder. now what should i do?

    i thought i explained that. when prompted, i did install
    the OS disk- not a copy, and it still doesn't recognize
    it. as per the previous thread, i checked to see if my
    OS disk had the proper win9X folder and it does.

    so my question is, what do i do now?

    thanks

CD-Rom Windows XP Windows