Windows ME Stopped Working

I am trying to upgrade a computer that has WinME on it, to XP Home. The
problem is, ME won't load, so I am stuck trying to install XP over a faulty
ME system. (I thought the XP cd would "fix" this problem, but it isn't
appearing to. I tried installing XP, but after the XP initially copies the
files and restarts, the installation process starts over with the "press any
key to begin setup..." I'm not able to get into safe mode, and can't figure
out to get to a command prompt, where I can just fdisk everything and install
ME and then XP over it. The ME is a recovery CD from Dell and not a retail
copy. Does that matter? Any suggestions?

Doug wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade a computer that has WinME on it, to XP Home.
> The problem is, ME won't load, so I am stuck trying to install XP
> over a faulty ME system. (I thought the XP cd would "fix" this
> problem, but it isn't appearing to. I tried installing XP, but after
> the XP initially copies the files and restarts, the installation
> process starts over with the "press any key to begin setup..." I'm
> not able to get into safe mode, and can't figure out to get to a
> command prompt, where I can just fdisk everything and install ME and
> then XP over it. The ME is a recovery CD from Dell and not a retail
> copy. Does that matter? Any suggestions?

So, bottom line, your question is: How do you boot to a command prompt so
you can reinstall from scratch, right?

Make a Windows 98 (yes, 98) boot floppy. The easiest way is to go to
www.bootdisk.com and download the file that, when you run it, will make a
Win98 boot floppy for you. Boot from this, choosing the option for CD
capability, and you're on your way.

--
Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows Shell/User, Windows Security
Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/

Hi Jim and Andrew:

Yes. I have tried changing boot sequences, F8, F6, Del., Ctrl., all buttons
during boot sequence, but can't get command prompt or safe mode. Also, I have
a windows 98 boot disk and CD Rom from my old system. Since my dad's computer
won't recognize the Dell recovery CD as a "full" version, will my old 98 CD
work? It seems like I tried that, though and no luck. Also, in BIOS,
shouldn't I have the boot order 1. floppy and 2. CD? Does it matter?

Thanks for your help, gentlemen!

"Jim Eshelman" wrote:

> Doug wrote:
> > I am trying to upgrade a computer that has WinME on it, to XP Home.
> > The problem is, ME won't load, so I am stuck trying to install XP
> > over a faulty ME system. (I thought the XP cd would "fix" this
> > problem, but it isn't appearing to. I tried installing XP, but after
> > the XP initially copies the files and restarts, the installation
> > process starts over with the "press any key to begin setup..." I'm
> > not able to get into safe mode, and can't figure out to get to a
> > command prompt, where I can just fdisk everything and install ME and
> > then XP over it. The ME is a recovery CD from Dell and not a retail
> > copy. Does that matter? Any suggestions?
>
> So, bottom line, your question is: How do you boot to a command prompt so
> you can reinstall from scratch, right?
>
> Make a Windows 98 (yes, 98) boot floppy. The easiest way is to go to
> www.bootdisk.com and download the file that, when you run it, will make a
> Win98 boot floppy for you. Boot from this, choosing the option for CD
> capability, and you're on your way.
>
> --
> Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows Shell/User, Windows Security
> Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
> AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/

You should have the option to format the hard drive. If you have the
upgrade XP version you need your WinME CD handy.

If you have the full version, you need to format/repartition the hard drive,
therefore eliminating the win me problem.

I don't believe the XP upgrade (if that's what you have) will recognise the
Dell Recovery disk as a "real" copy of Windows since it would be an "image"
of the original configuration rather than the real installation files.

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to upgrade a computer that has WinME on it, to XP Home. The
> problem is, ME won't load, so I am stuck trying to install XP over a
> faulty
> ME system. (I thought the XP cd would "fix" this problem, but it isn't
> appearing to. I tried installing XP, but after the XP initially copies the
> files and restarts, the installation process starts over with the "press
> any
> key to begin setup..." I'm not able to get into safe mode, and can't
> figure
> out to get to a command prompt, where I can just fdisk everything and
> install
> ME and then XP over it. The ME is a recovery CD from Dell and not a retail
> copy. Does that matter? Any suggestions?

Any other suggestions from anyone? The newly downloaded win 98 boot disk from
bootdisk.com didn't cause my computer to boot. Still can't get to a c: prompt
for formatting.

"Doug" wrote:

> Hi Jim and Andrew:
>
> Yes. I have tried changing boot sequences, F8, F6, Del., Ctrl., all buttons
> during boot sequence, but can't get command prompt or safe mode. Also, I have
> a windows 98 boot disk and CD Rom from my old system. Since my dad's computer
> won't recognize the Dell recovery CD as a "full" version, will my old 98 CD
> work? It seems like I tried that, though and no luck. Also, in BIOS,
> shouldn't I have the boot order 1. floppy and 2. CD? Does it matter?
>
> Thanks for your help, gentlemen!
>
> "Jim Eshelman" wrote:
>
> > Doug wrote:
> > > I am trying to upgrade a computer that has WinME on it, to XP Home.
> > > The problem is, ME won't load, so I am stuck trying to install XP
> > > over a faulty ME system. (I thought the XP cd would "fix" this
> > > problem, but it isn't appearing to. I tried installing XP, but after
> > > the XP initially copies the files and restarts, the installation
> > > process starts over with the "press any key to begin setup..." I'm
> > > not able to get into safe mode, and can't figure out to get to a
> > > command prompt, where I can just fdisk everything and install ME and
> > > then XP over it. The ME is a recovery CD from Dell and not a retail
> > > copy. Does that matter? Any suggestions?
> >
> > So, bottom line, your question is: How do you boot to a command prompt so
> > you can reinstall from scratch, right?
> >
> > Make a Windows 98 (yes, 98) boot floppy. The easiest way is to go to
> > www.bootdisk.com and download the file that, when you run it, will make a
> > Win98 boot floppy for you. Boot from this, choosing the option for CD
> > capability, and you're on your way.
> >
> > --
> > Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows Shell/User, Windows Security
> > Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
> > AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/

You don't want a C: prompt for formatting - you want an A:\> prompt!

Are/were you running GoBack on that machine?

Have you tried running the XP install from a CD boot?

What is your current boot order in the BIOS?

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Any other suggestions from anyone? The newly downloaded win 98 boot disk
> from
> bootdisk.com didn't cause my computer to boot. Still can't get to a c:
> prompt
> for formatting.
>
> "Doug" wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim and Andrew:
>>
>> Yes. I have tried changing boot sequences, F8, F6, Del., Ctrl., all
>> buttons
>> during boot sequence, but can't get command prompt or safe mode. Also, I
>> have
>> a windows 98 boot disk and CD Rom from my old system. Since my dad's
>> computer
>> won't recognize the Dell recovery CD as a "full" version, will my old 98
>> CD
>> work? It seems like I tried that, though and no luck. Also, in BIOS,
>> shouldn't I have the boot order 1. floppy and 2. CD? Does it matter?
>>
>> Thanks for your help, gentlemen!

>> > So, bottom line, your question is: How do you boot to a command prompt
>> > so
>> > you can reinstall from scratch, right?
>> >
>> > Make a Windows 98 (yes, 98) boot floppy. The easiest way is to go to
>> > www.bootdisk.com and download the file that, when you run it, will make
>> > Win98 boot floppy for you. Boot from this, choosing the option for CD
>> > capability, and you're on your way.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows Shell/User, Windows Security
>> > Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
>> > AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/

Not sure if he has GoBack. Is that a CD he'd have, or a software program
built into ME? I didn't see any CD named that, and can't get a boot so I
don't know if he has it.

The XP CD install works for a while, where it will copy all the files then
reboot the system. Once it reboots, it starts setup from the beginning
instead of resuming where it previously left off.

I have changed the boot order several times, but nothing works. I think I
have it as 1. floppy, 2. CD. Hard Drive is disabled. Please let me know if
there is a different order to use.

Bottom Line: Please let me know what to do to get to an A: prompt. Once I
get there, I can fdisk. Since my dad's ME recovery cd may not be a full
version, as was previously pointed out, I'll just format hard drive, then
install my old win 98, then the XP upgrade over that. Please let me know if
you don't think this would work.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> You don't want a C: prompt for formatting - you want an A:\> prompt!
>
> Are/were you running GoBack on that machine?
>
> Have you tried running the XP install from a CD boot?
>
> What is your current boot order in the BIOS?
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Any other suggestions from anyone? The newly downloaded win 98 boot disk
> > from
> > bootdisk.com didn't cause my computer to boot. Still can't get to a c:
> > prompt
> > for formatting.
> >
> > "Doug" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Jim and Andrew:
> >>
> >> Yes. I have tried changing boot sequences, F8, F6, Del., Ctrl., all
> >> buttons
> >> during boot sequence, but can't get command prompt or safe mode. Also, I
> >> have
> >> a windows 98 boot disk and CD Rom from my old system. Since my dad's
> >> computer
> >> won't recognize the Dell recovery CD as a "full" version, will my old 98
> >> CD
> >> work? It seems like I tried that, though and no luck. Also, in BIOS,
> >> shouldn't I have the boot order 1. floppy and 2. CD? Does it matter?
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help, gentlemen!

If you've disable the HD, then it's not too surprising that the OS can't see
it! check that the HD is actually seen by the BIOS - and make it the last
boot option

Check that the floppy disk is actually good - does it boot your machine OK?
does it boot another machine? - any other machine?
If it does, and your dad's box won't boot with it - and the boot order is
for the floppy to boot first (and it's switched on in the BIOS!), then the
probability is that the floppy drive is kaput.

GoBack is a system Recovery utility offered by some OEMS a few years back -
which conflicts big-time with System Restore - but still shouldn't prevent
your booting with a floppy.

--

> Not sure if he has GoBack. Is that a CD he'd have, or a software program
> built into ME? I didn't see any CD named that, and can't get a boot so I
> don't know if he has it.
>
> The XP CD install works for a while, where it will copy all the files then
> reboot the system. Once it reboots, it starts setup from the beginning
> instead of resuming where it previously left off.
>
> I have changed the boot order several times, but nothing works. I think I
> have it as 1. floppy, 2. CD. Hard Drive is disabled. Please let me know if
> there is a different order to use.
>
> Bottom Line: Please let me know what to do to get to an A: prompt. Once I
> get there, I can fdisk. Since my dad's ME recovery cd may not be a full
> version, as was previously pointed out, I'll just format hard drive, then
> install my old win 98, then the XP upgrade over that. Please let me know
> if
> you don't think this would work.
>
> Thanks to everyone for their help!
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
>> You don't want a C: prompt for formatting - you want an A:\> prompt!
>>
>> Are/were you running GoBack on that machine?
>>
>> Have you tried running the XP install from a CD boot?
>>
>> What is your current boot order in the BIOS?
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Any other suggestions from anyone? The newly downloaded win 98 boot
>> > disk
>> > from
>> > bootdisk.com didn't cause my computer to boot. Still can't get to a c:
>> > prompt
>> > for formatting.

I appreciate all your help, Noel. I just thought that you should disable the
hard drive during a floppy/CD-ROM boot, since the OS is obviously
malfunctioning, then go back and enable HD in BIOS after the software
installation. I think that's the way I used to do it in 98, anyway. Maybe ME
is different.

Two more brief questions:

1. Should I try to get an ME boot disk, even though a previous poster said
to use the 98? Both 98 boot disks I downloaded don't work. Should I use the
ME Recovery CD or my 98 full version during this process?

I have tried all combinations of BIOS boot order, 98 boot disk, ME Recovery
CD/98 Full version CD. Nothing works. Floppy and CD drives appear to work
properly. Please just tell me how to get an a: prompt and I will reformat.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> If you've disable the HD, then it's not too surprising that the OS can't see
> it! check that the HD is actually seen by the BIOS - and make it the last
> boot option
>
> Check that the floppy disk is actually good - does it boot your machine OK?
> does it boot another machine? - any other machine?
> If it does, and your dad's box won't boot with it - and the boot order is
> for the floppy to boot first (and it's switched on in the BIOS!), then the
> probability is that the floppy drive is kaput.
>
> GoBack is a system Recovery utility offered by some OEMS a few years back -
> which conflicts big-time with System Restore - but still shouldn't prevent
> your booting with a floppy.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Not sure if he has GoBack. Is that a CD he'd have, or a software program
> > built into ME? I didn't see any CD named that, and can't get a boot so I
> > don't know if he has it.
> >
> > The XP CD install works for a while, where it will copy all the files then
> > reboot the system. Once it reboots, it starts setup from the beginning
> > instead of resuming where it previously left off.
> >
> > I have changed the boot order several times, but nothing works. I think I
> > have it as 1. floppy, 2. CD. Hard Drive is disabled. Please let me know if
> > there is a different order to use.
> >
> > Bottom Line: Please let me know what to do to get to an A: prompt. Once I
> > get there, I can fdisk. Since my dad's ME recovery cd may not be a full
> > version, as was previously pointed out, I'll just format hard drive, then
> > install my old win 98, then the XP upgrade over that. Please let me know
> > if
> > you don't think this would work.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone for their help!
> >
> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> >> You don't want a C: prompt for formatting - you want an A:\> prompt!
> >>
> >> Are/were you running GoBack on that machine?
> >>
> >> Have you tried running the XP install from a CD boot?
> >>
> >> What is your current boot order in the BIOS?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
> >>
> >> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If the disks work in your PC but not in your dad's - then it's the drive
that's the problem
if the disks don't work in your PC either, then either the download was
corrupt (but you'd normally see a message on that) or you have a problem
with your OS/hardware combination - I know that my floppy drive (no matter
how many times I replace it) likes to chew even new floppies with monotonous
regularity - and I cannot for the life of me pin it down .

You could certainly try the ME OEM disk - it would work just as well
(hopefully better!!)

--

> [...]
>> > built into ME? I didn't see any CD named that, and can't get a boot so
>> > don't know if he has it.
>> >
>> > The XP CD install works for a while, where it will copy all the files
>> > then
>> > reboot the system. Once it reboots, it starts setup from the beginning
>> > instead of resuming where it previously left off.
>> >
>> > I have changed the boot order several times, but nothing works. I think
>> > have it as 1. floppy, 2. CD. Hard Drive is disabled. Please let me know
>> > if
>> > there is a different order to use.
>> >
>> > Bottom Line: Please let me know what to do to get to an A: prompt. Once
>> > get there, I can fdisk. Since my dad's ME recovery cd may not be a full
>> > version, as was previously pointed out, I'll just format hard drive,
>> > then
>> > install my old win 98, then the XP upgrade over that. Please let me

Again, I have XP in my computer, so I can't test his ME or 98 software to see
if it will boot my system. All indications are that his cd and floppy drives
work fine.

Please tell me what steps to undergo on HIS computer to get an a: command
prompt so I can reformat and reinstall.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Thanks for your help, everyone.
> >
> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> >> If you've disable the HD, then it's not too surprising that the OS can't
> >> see
> >> it! check that the HD is actually seen by the BIOS - and make it the last
> >> boot option
> >>
> >> Check that the floppy disk is actually good - does it boot your machine
> >> OK?
> >> does it boot another machine? - any other machine?
> >> If it does, and your dad's box won't boot with it - and the boot order is
> >> for the floppy to boot first (and it's switched on in the BIOS!), then
> >> the
> >> probability is that the floppy drive is kaput.
> >>
> >> GoBack is a system Recovery utility offered by some OEMS a few years
> >> back -
> >> which conflicts big-time with System Restore - but still shouldn't

Yes you can!!!
The OS on the floppy is independent of the OS on the HD -
This PC is XP - and I've booted it with a DOS6 floppy before now, not to
mention a Win 98, Win98SE, and WinME floppy. The only problem comes in
actually accessing the HD - where none of the above understand the NTFS
filesystem, so you get nonsense relies - but you can still do a FDISK
/STATUS - or a proper FDISK, and follow that with a reformat/reinstall!!

--

> Again, I have XP in my computer, so I can't test his ME or 98 software to
> see
> if it will boot my system. All indications are that his cd and floppy
> drives
> work fine.
>
> Please tell me what steps to undergo on HIS computer to get an a: command
> prompt so I can reformat and reinstall.
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
>> If the disks work in your PC but not in your dad's - then it's the drive
>> that's the problem
>> if the disks don't work in your PC either, then either the download was
>> corrupt (but you'd normally see a message on that) or you have a problem
>> with your OS/hardware combination - I know that my floppy drive (no
>> matter
>> how many times I replace it) likes to chew even new floppies with
>> monotonous
>> regularity - and I cannot for the life of me pin it down .
>>
>> You could certainly try the ME OEM disk - it would work just as well
>> (hopefully better!!)
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I appreciate all your help, Noel. I just thought that you should disable
>> >the
>> > hard drive during a floppy/CD-ROM boot, since the OS is obviously
>> > malfunctioning, then go back and enable HD in BIOS after the software
>> > installation. I think that's the way I used to do it in 98, anyway.
>> > Maybe
>> > ME
>> > is different.
>> >
>> > Two more brief questions:
>> >
>> > 1. Should I try to get an ME boot disk, even though a previous poster
>> > said
>> > to use the 98? Both 98 boot disks I downloaded don't work. Should I use
>> > the
>> > ME Recovery CD or my 98 full version during this process?
>> >
>> > I have tried all combinations of BIOS boot order, 98 boot disk, ME
>> > Recovery
>> > CD/98 Full version CD. Nothing works. Floppy and CD drives appear to
>> > work
>> > properly. Please just tell me how to get an a: prompt and I will
>> > reformat.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help, everyone.

Okay. I'll try it and let you know tomorrow if I need more assistance.

Thanks.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Yes you can!!!
> The OS on the floppy is independent of the OS on the HD -
> This PC is XP - and I've booted it with a DOS6 floppy before now, not to
> mention a Win 98, Win98SE, and WinME floppy. The only problem comes in
> actually accessing the HD - where none of the above understand the NTFS
> filesystem, so you get nonsense relies - but you can still do a FDISK
> /STATUS - or a proper FDISK, and follow that with a reformat/reinstall!!
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Again, I have XP in my computer, so I can't test his ME or 98 software to
> > see
> > if it will boot my system. All indications are that his cd and floppy
> > drives
> > work fine.
> >
> > Please tell me what steps to undergo on HIS computer to get an a: command
> > prompt so I can reformat and reinstall.
> >
> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> >> If the disks work in your PC but not in your dad's - then it's the drive
> >> that's the problem
> >> if the disks don't work in your PC either, then either the download was
> >> corrupt (but you'd normally see a message on that) or you have a problem
> >> with your OS/hardware combination - I know that my floppy drive (no
> >> matter
> >> how many times I replace it) likes to chew even new floppies with
> >> monotonous
> >> regularity - and I cannot for the life of me pin it down .
> >>
> >> You could certainly try the ME OEM disk - it would work just as well
> >> (hopefully better!!)
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
> >>
> >> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thanks for everyone's help. I was online chatting with a Dell "customer
service" person last night for more than an hour. Nothing worked.

Turned out the hard drive was bad, so I popped in a new one, then proceeded
with my windows 98 installation and then the XP upgrade.

"Doug" wrote:

> Okay. I'll try it and let you know tomorrow if I need more assistance.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
> > Yes you can!!!
> > The OS on the floppy is independent of the OS on the HD -
> > This PC is XP - and I've booted it with a DOS6 floppy before now, not to
> > mention a Win 98, Win98SE, and WinME floppy. The only problem comes in
> > actually accessing the HD - where none of the above understand the NTFS
> > filesystem, so you get nonsense relies - but you can still do a FDISK
> > /STATUS - or a proper FDISK, and follow that with a reformat/reinstall!!
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
> >
> > "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Again, I have XP in my computer, so I can't test his ME or 98 software to
> > > see
> > > if it will boot my system. All indications are that his cd and floppy
> > > drives
> > > work fine.
> > >
> > > Please tell me what steps to undergo on HIS computer to get an a: command
> > > prompt so I can reformat and reinstall.

Ahhhhh!!
Sounds plausible - although the symptoms you described are not typical of
hard drive failure.

Glad you seem to be up and running again - and thanks for coming back to let
us know!!!