ICON problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 9, 2005 2:26:20 PM

I default to the "Photo Editor" when I bring up a .jpg file. All icons for
jpg file are now the icon for "Adobe Acrobat" even though when I click on a
..jpg file it is brought up with "Photo Editor". I've tried refreshing the
icons and every thing I know how to do, and it still stays the same. If I
use "change icon" on a shortcut it will change to the correct icon for that
shortcut.

Any Ideas?

Gene

More about : icon problem

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:26:21 PM

Not 100% sure this will solve your issue, but, don't think there is anything
here that would give you grief. This is from my "notes" folder and not sure
who should get credit for the info.........

Download and install a little tweak from here
http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.htm
which will increase the size of your IconCache to something more acceptable
for your usage.

....and the hard way...

Symptoms
Some icons in My Computer, Windows Explorer, on the desktop, or in the Quick
Launch toolbar may randomly change.
Cause
This behavior can occur if the icon cache is not properly updated.
Resolution
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this behavior, use one or more of the following methods:
Press the F5 key to refresh the icons in the current folder.
Close and then reopen a window that contains incorrect icons.
Restart your computer.
Recreate the ShellIconCache file. This file is re-created automatically when
you change your display's color depth. Follow these steps to change your
display's color depth to a new setting and then change it back to the
original setting:
Right-click the desktop and then click Properties.
Click the Settings tab.
Change the color depth from the current setting to a new setting. For
example, change from Highest (32 bit) to Lowest (16 bit).
Click Apply, and then click Yes to accept the changes.
Change the color depth back to its original setting.
Click Apply, and then click Yes to accept the changes.
Using Registry Editor, add the Max Cached Icons string value with a value
data of 2000 to the following registry key, and then restart your computer:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
If the icons are still incorrect, delete the ShellIconCache file. The Max
Cached Icons value data range is between 100 and 4096. The default value is
500.
More Information
For additional information about this issue, click the article number below
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q133733 Icons Displayed Incorrectly in Control Panel
HTH......
Heirloom, old and time to weed the flower beds

"Gene Cottrell" <cottrellsss@worldsnetsss.attsss.netsss> wrote in message
> I default to the "Photo Editor" when I bring up a .jpg file. All icons
for
> jpg file are now the icon for "Adobe Acrobat" even though when I click on
> .jpg file it is brought up with "Photo Editor". I've tried refreshing the
> icons and every thing I know how to do, and it still stays the same. If I
> use "change icon" on a shortcut it will change to the correct icon for
that
> shortcut.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Gene

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:53:02 PM

Dear Gene,
PLease listen to me. Its a simple process. You have to tell your computer to
open certain files with the preferred program to open them with. I have Adobe
Photo Suite. Thats a nice program. But some computers come with atleast the
Kodak Imaging program to see your pictures. And thats free installed on the
computer. What you need to do is to tell your computer what program to open
which file with. Now, I just need to think a second. I believe you have to
open MY computer then go to properties. A box will open and you should see
tabs to choose what you want to do . Sorry, should tested it first. But I
know I am closer to helping you than that other person......Trust me, open my
computer, go to properties from the file menu....you should eventually see a
list of all available files and you tell it, which program you want to use to
open which type of file: eg: mpeg,wav, jpeg, etc. Good luck, sorry this was
too short . Have to work tomorrow. take care
Allison

"Gene Cottrell" wrote:

> I default to the "Photo Editor" when I bring up a .jpg file. All icons for
> jpg file are now the icon for "Adobe Acrobat" even though when I click on a
> ..jpg file it is brought up with "Photo Editor". I've tried refreshing the
> icons and every thing I know how to do, and it still stays the same. If I
> use "change icon" on a shortcut it will change to the correct icon for that
> shortcut.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Gene

March 11, 2005 3:13:17 PM

Allison,
Far be it from me to claim any "expert" knowledge, but, the key portion
of the OP's post would be that Photo Editor is being initiated from an Adobe
Acrobat icon. This would indicate, to me, that the issue is something other
than file associations.
Heirloom, old and might be the 'other
person'

"Allison" <Allison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Gene,
> PLease listen to me. Its a simple process. You have to tell your computer
> open certain files with the preferred program to open them with. I have
Adobe
> Photo Suite. Thats a nice program. But some computers come with atleast
the
> Kodak Imaging program to see your pictures. And thats free installed on
the
> computer. What you need to do is to tell your computer what program to
open
> which file with. Now, I just need to think a second. I believe you have
> open MY computer then go to properties. A box will open and you should see
> tabs to choose what you want to do . Sorry, should tested it first. But I
> know I am closer to helping you than that other person......Trust me, open
my
> computer, go to properties from the file menu....you should eventually see
> list of all available files and you tell it, which program you want to use
> open which type of file: eg: mpeg,wav, jpeg, etc. Good luck, sorry this
was
> too short . Have to work tomorrow. take care
> Allison
>
> "Gene Cottrell" wrote:
>
> > I default to the "Photo Editor" when I bring up a .jpg file. All icons
for
> > jpg file are now the icon for "Adobe Acrobat" even though when I click
on a
> > ..jpg file it is brought up with "Photo Editor". I've tried refreshing
the
> > icons and every thing I know how to do, and it still stays the same. If
> > use "change icon" on a shortcut it will change to the correct icon for
that
> > shortcut.
> >
> > Any Ideas?
> >
> > Gene

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:13:18 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:13:17 GMT,"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com>
penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> Allison,
> Far be it from me to claim any "expert" knowledge, but, the key
> portion
> of the OP's post would be that Photo Editor is being initiated from an
> Adobe Acrobat icon. This would indicate, to me, that the issue is
> something other than file associations.
> Heirloom, old and might be the 'other
> person'
>

> "Allison" <Allison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Dear Gene,
>> PLease listen to me. Its a simple process. You have to tell your
>> computer
>> open certain files with the preferred program to open them with. I
>> have
> Adobe
>> Photo Suite. Thats a nice program. But some computers come with
>> atleast
> the
>> Kodak Imaging program to see your pictures. And thats free installed
>> on
> the
>> computer. What you need to do is to tell your computer what program
> open
>> which file with. Now, I just need to think a second. I believe you
>> have
>> open MY computer then go to properties. A box will open and you
>> should see tabs to choose what you want to do . Sorry, should tested
>> it first. But I know I am closer to helping you than that other
>> person......Trust me, open
> my
>> computer, go to properties from the file menu....you should
>> eventually see
>> list of all available files and you tell it, which program you want
>> to use
>> open which type of file: eg: mpeg,wav, jpeg, etc. Good luck, sorry
>> this
> was
>> too short . Have to work tomorrow. take care
>> Allison
>>
>> "Gene Cottrell" wrote:
>>
>> > I default to the "Photo Editor" when I bring up a .jpg file. All
>> > icons
> for
>> > jpg file are now the icon for "Adobe Acrobat" even though when I
>> > click
> on a
>> > ..jpg file it is brought up with "Photo Editor". I've tried
>> > refreshing
> the
>> > icons and every thing I know how to do, and it still stays the
>> > same. If
>> > use "change icon" on a shortcut it will change to the correct icon
>> > for
> that
>> > shortcut.
>> >
>> > Any Ideas?
>> >
>> > Gene

Try getting TweakUI from microsoft and use the "repair" tab and choose to
rebuild icons. Might not work, but worth a shot.

--
"To know, is to know that you know nothing.
That is the meaning of true knowledge."