so much for linux

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
December 12, 2004 8:03:03 PM

i have the suse9.1 iso. copied to cd. nothing. tried nero burn and burn
to iso. kept coming up with no disk in drive and wouldn't burn.
Tried copying extra files that were included in pc format distro folder.
Same error message.

So tried nero burn express with pc format distro stuff as well as iso.
Hurrah a bootable suse disk.

Got alot of caldera and dr dos messages. then the thing stopped at
"ntfs -(u) or some such"

"no fat32 found"

I'm assuming this particular distro is looking for something in order to
produce a dual boot. Or perhaps its not expecting the drive to already be
partitioned. Going into drive c in windows shows the drive is empty yet of
course it isn't. Can't format C it says part of it is in use. So now what?

More about : linux

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 12, 2004 8:03:04 PM

Mr Jessop wrote:
> i have the suse9.1 iso. copied to cd. nothing. tried nero burn and burn
> to iso. kept coming up with no disk in drive and wouldn't burn.
> Tried copying extra files that were included in pc format distro folder.
> Same error message.

What does this have to do with linux?

Your problem lies within being able to burn a CD from an ISO. With my
version of Nero at least, I select File -> Open, open the ISO, and then
burn.

--
-WD
Anonymous

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Mr Jessop wrote:
>> i have the suse9.1 iso. copied to cd. nothing. tried nero burn and
>> burn to iso. kept coming up with no disk in drive and wouldn't burn.
>> Tried copying extra files that were included in pc format distro folder.
>> Same error message.
>
> What does this have to do with linux?
>
> Your problem lies within being able to burn a CD from an ISO. With my
> version of Nero at least, I select File -> Open, open the ISO, and then
> burn.

Thanks. I suppose the questions i should have raised was

1. are the extra files outside the iso such as md55ums.asc necessary for the
burn.

1.b if not would adding them cause the failed install so early on.

2. Although selecting iso in nero rom what selection did i miss out for it
to suggest that there was no disk in the drive.

I believe you have partly answered question 2 for me. selecting the open
iso in nero rom. I suppose nero express did that for me.

so

2b. Was the disk it was asking for not in fact a blank disk but the iso to
be opened?

3. Is there a linux utility or any other that will allow me to format the
c: drive as windows explorer won't. pcformat suggested
"7tools partitioner"

4. I have two drives. The second is currently f and g drive. it is cable
selected. so to make it the master i merely swap it with the 40gb or remove
it altogether. This is easy as i have swappable caddies (25 seconds at
most). But the 2nd drive doesn't have bootable partitions. will the
standard suse disk do all the formatting stuff for me and dual booting or do
i have to have the win xp installed on the drive in one big partition and
have the suse thing resize and set up the dual boot system? If the answer
is the latter then hopefull i would end up with linux on one partition and
xp on the other with the partitions created for me.

So in summary is my best move to remove current installed 40gb. Replace
with 120gb and clean install one giant partition with xp. Then run suse
disk to create a partition and size it?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 12, 2004 11:15:13 PM

Mr Jessop wrote:
> 1. are the extra files outside the iso such as md55ums.asc necessary for the
> burn.

An ISO file is a disc image. Any extra files are not necessary.

> 1.b if not would adding them cause the failed install so early on.

How could you have possibly "added" them? Unless you have burned a CD
that *contains* that ISO file and other stuff. (Why?)

> 2. Although selecting iso in nero rom what selection did i miss out for it
> to suggest that there was no disk in the drive.

Make sure you have the proper CD burner selected before opening the ISO.
And make sure there is a blank CD in that drive.

--
-WD
Anonymous

> Mr Jessop wrote:
>> 1. are the extra files outside the iso such as md55ums.asc necessary for
>> the burn.
>
> An ISO file is a disc image. Any extra files are not necessary.
>

>> 1.b if not would adding them cause the failed install so early on.
>
> How could you have possibly "added" them? Unless you have burned a CD
> that *contains* that ISO file and other stuff. (Why?)

Well without the extra files i the thing didn't work. The extra files were
in the same folder as the iso. such as readme. copyright and the suse logo
as a gif. So i copied and pasted all that next to the iso.

>> 2. Although selecting iso in nero rom what selection did i miss out for
>> it to suggest that there was no disk in the drive.
>
> Make sure you have the proper CD burner selected before opening the ISO.

I only have the one.

> And make sure there is a blank CD in that drive.

Yep. It actually spat it out when the error message came up. So i tried
nero express instead. selected bootable rom. copied the iso to the 'burn'
browser. plus all those little files that were in the same folder as the
suse iso.

> --
> -WD
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2004 2:55:21 AM

Mr Jessop wrote:

> Yep. It actually spat it out when the error message came up. So i tried
> nero express instead. selected bootable rom. copied the iso to the
> 'burn'
> browser. plus all those little files that were in the same folder as the
> suse iso.

You don't need those extra files. Mr. Dormann is correct that an ISO is a
disc image. In Nero Express, you should choose "Disc Image or Saved
Project" from the box under "What would you like to burn?", and then
navigate to the ISO and select it. It's an entire disk image and nothing
else is needed. Alternatively, from Nero Burning ROM, from the menu you
select Recorder->Burn Image... and navigate to the ISO and burn it. Then,
put it in the drive and reboot to the CD.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2004 3:23:50 AM

"Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in

> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Mr Jessop wrote:
>>> 1. are the extra files outside the iso such as md55ums.asc necessary
>>> for the burn.
>>
>> An ISO file is a disc image. Any extra files are not necessary.
>>

>>> 1.b if not would adding them cause the failed install so early on.
>>
>> How could you have possibly "added" them? Unless you have burned a
>> CD that *contains* that ISO file and other stuff. (Why?)
>
> Well without the extra files i the thing didn't work. The extra files
> were in the same folder as the iso. such as readme. copyright and
> the suse logo as a gif. So i copied and pasted all that next to the
> iso.

An ISO should not have anything next to it. In recorder select it using
"Recorder->Burn Image" But first it's **important** that you test the
md5sum of your ISO file. Make sure it is the same as your md5sum.asc
file (thats what its for).

When you burn, choose a clean blank disk and burn at some ridiculously
low speed (eg 8x) with Nero (You have version 6.x.x.x ?)

3. Failing that try burning at a slow speed with CDBurnerXP Pro (It's
free)
(In this case choose File->Write Image From ISO Disc)

--
Lordy
Anonymous

> i have the suse9.1 iso. copied to cd. nothing.

Do yourself a favor... quit. You couldn't use Google to find KDE and
Gnome, you have yet to learn how to burn an ISO image. You're not ready
for Linux. Linux is for self starters.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2004 6:47:53 AM

Mark Ingram wrote:

>> i have the suse9.1 iso. copied to cd. nothing.
>
> Do yourself a favor... quit. You couldn't use Google to find KDE and
> Gnome, you have yet to learn how to burn an ISO image. You're not ready
> for Linux. Linux is for self starters.

Though you're probably right, I don't discourage anyone from using it. I use
it and love it. I have to admit that I was quite lost for awhile, but
eventually found my way around with some help.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2004 7:31:36 PM

"Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in message

> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Mr Jessop wrote:
>>> 1. are the extra files outside the iso such as md55ums.asc necessary for
>>> the burn.
>>
>> An ISO file is a disc image. Any extra files are not necessary.
>>

>>> 1.b if not would adding them cause the failed install so early on.
>>
>> How could you have possibly "added" them? Unless you have burned a CD
>> that *contains* that ISO file and other stuff. (Why?)
>
> Well without the extra files i the thing didn't work. The extra files
> were in the same folder as the iso. such as readme. copyright and the
> suse logo as a gif. So i copied and pasted all that next to the iso.
>

>>> 2. Although selecting iso in nero rom what selection did i miss out for
>>> it to suggest that there was no disk in the drive.
>>
>> Make sure you have the proper CD burner selected before opening the ISO.
>
> I only have the one.
>
>> And make sure there is a blank CD in that drive.
>
> Yep. It actually spat it out when the error message came up. So i tried
> nero express instead. selected bootable rom. copied the iso to the
> 'burn' browser. plus all those little files that were in the same folder
> as the suse iso.

Did you by chance download the full DVD version of Suse 9.1? If so, it
contains all the full retail apps and is quite large. It all does fit one
DVD, barely. The CD (full install) version took five CDs rather than just
one DVD. I used Nero 6xx and it burned both versions for me fine. One of the
CDs contained the bootable version to play around with that you don't have
to actually install to the HDD. If you are using Nero 5xx version there are
some issues I have heard about, but not really experienced myself. All three
versions worked just fine here with no issues at all. I am not by any means
an expert with linux and have just fooled around with it off and on for
5-6yrs. Suse is a good distro for folks like me.......:-)

Ed
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2004 10:50:08 PM

"Ed Medlin" <edmedlin@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> An ISO file is a disc image. Any extra files are not necessary.

>>> How could you have possibly "added" them? Unless you have burned a CD
>>> that *contains* that ISO file and other stuff. (Why?)
>>
>> Well without the extra files i the thing didn't work. The extra files
>> were in the same folder as the iso. such as readme. copyright and the
>> suse logo as a gif. So i copied and pasted all that next to the iso.

>>> Make sure you have the proper CD burner selected before opening the ISO.
>>
>> I only have the one.
>>
>>> And make sure there is a blank CD in that drive.
>>
>> Yep. It actually spat it out when the error message came up. So i tried
>> nero express instead. selected bootable rom. copied the iso to the
>> 'burn' browser. plus all those little files that were in the same
>> folder as the suse iso.
>
> Did you by chance download the full DVD version of Suse 9.1? If so, it
> contains all the full retail apps and is quite large. It all does fit one
> DVD, barely. The CD (full install) version took five CDs rather than just
> one DVD. I used Nero 6xx and it burned both versions for me fine. One of
> the CDs contained the bootable version to play around with that you don't
> have to actually install to the HDD. If you are using Nero 5xx version
> there are some issues I have heard about, but not really experienced
> myself. All three versions worked just fine here with no issues at all. I
> am not by any means an expert with linux and have just fooled around with
> it off and on for 5-6yrs. Suse is a good distro for folks like
> me.......:-)

the pc format magazine dvd not only had the 9.1 distro but things such as
"the gimp" "wine" and other stuff.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2004 10:51:17 PM

"Mark Ingram" <billybadass@phuked.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> i have the suse9.1 iso. copied to cd. nothing.
>
> Do yourself a favor... quit. You couldn't use Google to find KDE and
> Gnome, you have yet to learn how to burn an ISO image. You're not ready
> for Linux. Linux is for self starters.

did someone suggest i should look for these things? Did i attempt to find
them and fail?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2004 11:01:02 PM

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
news:o p8vd.1574$sY5.495@fe37.usenetserver.com...
> Mark Ingram wrote:
>
>>> i have the suse9.1 iso. copied to cd. nothing.
>>
>> Do yourself a favor... quit. You couldn't use Google to find KDE and
>> Gnome, you have yet to learn how to burn an ISO image. You're not ready
>> for Linux. Linux is for self starters.
>
> Though you're probably right, I don't discourage anyone from using it. I
> use
> it and love it. I have to admit that I was quite lost for awhile, but
> eventually found my way around with some help.

I have been rather lax in the last year. I used to follow this stuff avidly
and upgrade regularly. But i've been concentrating on digital photography
and keeping up with the latest technology for a my job as a sales assistant.
I've spent most of my spare time on free.uk.photopgrahic.equipment.digital
and rec.photo.equipment.35mm. giagbyte, msi and ecs newsgroups. creative
banshee newsgroup. scanner group. printer groups. When its been time to
learn i have learned. Linux time is coming. Time to hit the books and the
websites. Next stop. proper wireless routers not simply peer to peer.

Been building my own stuff since an intel 486 33mhz.
amd 585 133
cyrix p686 166
amd spitfire 300.
intel celeron 333
amd duron 600
amd duron 1200
Stopped there because i finally had enough power for my needs. just kept
adding more ram, then firewire, then dvd add on board. then scsi writer then
16x ide writer, then dvd writer, dedicated film scanner. 5 printers.
wireless internet and networking.

have spent months on creative site learning about voodoo banshee, the
original power vr add on card. diamond monster cards.

Teaching microsoft office (windows 3.1) to the underpriveledged etc.

I'm sure getting back up to date won't take too long. Then finally
graduating from windows to linux.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2004 11:17:38 PM

Mr Jessop wrote:

> the pc format magazine dvd not only had the 9.1 distro but things such as
> "the gimp" "wine" and other stuff.

Those apps are standard issue in all distributions. What you miss in the
free ones are Java, RealPlayer, FlashPlayer, OEM drivers for nVidia and ATi
cards, and other commercial, non-open source software. You can go to the
OEM's website and download all that stuff yourself, but it's much nicer
when you have in installed from the get-go via an rpm instead of a shell
script.

You'll want to do yourself a favor and ask SuSE specific questions in
alt.os.linux.suse. There are a few guys that help a lot, namely Kevin
Nathan and Michael J. Tobbler (mjt). You must remember to be specific and
give details if you want responses. Linux groups are very picky...
!