Unable to access any wisconsin government or education web..

For about two weeks, I have been unable to access any wisconsin
government or education websites:
www.wisc.edu
www.wisconsin.gov
www.wisconsin.edu
and others

I use windows me and a dial-up connection through highstream.net.

I wrote to highstream and asked them if they had changed anything.
Their response was to "winipcfg /release_all" and "winipcfg /renew_all"
and reboot -->> which did absolutely nothing.

Does anyone have any idea why I am unable to access these websites??
The errors that I get are either: "can't find" or "cannot find
server".

Both ping and tracert can convert the URL to an IP address for the
above-mentioned sites but both commands time-out immediately.

Thanks.

Barbara
9 answers Last reply
More about unable access wisconsin government education

    Thanks for sharing that with me, Andrew. That was so helpful --
    *NOT*!!

    I already KNOW the State of Wisconsin exists and is up and running (can
    look at a Google cache to find that out).

    This is what I've done today to try to solve the problem:

    * I tried logging onto the internet using another ISP (Juno) and was
    able to access all the Wisconsin sites that I've been unable to get to
    for over two weeks.
    * I removed the Highstream DNS servers which were hardcoded (198.6.1.4
    and 198.6.1.5) and allowed the computer to find Highstream's DNS server
    automatically. Still no joy.
    * I cannot do a traceroute from my connection to ANY of the Highstream
    DNS servers -- it times out immediately. When I am logged in using the
    Juno ISP, I can tracert successfully to the DNS server that I get
    automatically assigned to and also tracert to all the Wisconsin servers
    that I have been having problems accessing using Highstream. I can
    also login to all the Wisconsin sites using Juno.

    This indicates to me that there is something wrong at Highstream (my
    ISP). I've gotten in touch with them again.

    Barbara

    Andrew Murray wrote:
    > I had no trouble accessing these (from Australia, that is).
    >
    > <striped_moose@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > For about two weeks, I have been unable to access any wisconsin
    > > government or education websites:
    > > www.wisc.edu
    > > www.wisconsin.gov
    > > www.wisconsin.edu
    > > and others
    > >
    > > I use windows me and a dial-up connection through highstream.net.
    > >
    > > I wrote to highstream and asked them if they had changed anything.
    > > Their response was to "winipcfg /release_all" and "winipcfg
    /renew_all"
    > > and reboot -->> which did absolutely nothing.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any idea why I am unable to access these
    websites??
    > > The errors that I get are either: "can't find" or "cannot find
    > > server".
    > >
    > > Both ping and tracert can convert the URL to an IP address for the
    > > above-mentioned sites but both commands time-out immediately.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Barbara

    I had no trouble accessing these (from Australia, that is).

    <striped_moose@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > For about two weeks, I have been unable to access any wisconsin
    > government or education websites:
    > www.wisc.edu
    > www.wisconsin.gov
    > www.wisconsin.edu
    > and others
    >
    > I use windows me and a dial-up connection through highstream.net.
    >
    > I wrote to highstream and asked them if they had changed anything.
    > Their response was to "winipcfg /release_all" and "winipcfg /renew_all"
    > and reboot -->> which did absolutely nothing.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea why I am unable to access these websites??
    > The errors that I get are either: "can't find" or "cannot find
    > server".
    >
    > Both ping and tracert can convert the URL to an IP address for the
    > above-mentioned sites but both commands time-out immediately.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Barbara

    striped_moose@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks for sharing that with me, Andrew. That was so helpful --
    > *NOT*!!

    Don't be a dick; he let you know that it works from other locations; my
    guess would be that the server doesn't allow connections from your ISP
    due to past abuse.

    Rick

    Got a couple of emails back from the vendor (Highstream) recommending
    that I try cleaning out my internet cache and my cookies (I already
    know that wouldn't do anything).

    They also suggested that I try logging in using another phone number.

    Interestingly enough, when I dialed in another number, I couldn't
    access anything.

    I ended up uninstalling Highstream and getting rid of all references to
    it in the registry and installing a clean, newly downloaded version of
    the Highstream dialer. That solved the problem. Apparently the
    Highstream software installation was corrupted.

    It still amazes me that the only thing that was getting blocked was
    Wisconsin government and education sites (which do not share the same
    server).

    Barbara

    Nice shot, Rick......right on target.
    Heirloom, old and the moose is female

    > striped_moose@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > Thanks for sharing that with me, Andrew. That was so helpful --
    > > *NOT*!!
    >
    > Don't be a dick; he let you know that it works from other locations; my
    > guess would be that the server doesn't allow connections from your ISP
    > due to past abuse.
    >

    > Rick

    Glad you posted back with the resolution. I, too, find it odd that only one
    site was affected. Not being familiar with the Highstream software, is it
    possible that there were some settings within the app that were blocking the
    site? The fresh install has, obviously, done the trick........whatever
    works! Thank you for letting us know.
    Heirloom, old and would have bet on the ISP

    heirloom wrote:
    > Nice shot, Rick......right on target.
    > Heirloom, old and the moose is female

    seemed obvious when I reread it (especially the "Barbara" part), guess
    we won't be getting feedback on what the problem turned out to be...

    Rick

    If we do........it probably won't be kind, lol. I had to commend you
    because I felt the same way after reading the 'moose' post. Keep up the
    good work..... and, if you have a chance, check out the "Icon problem" post
    from Gene Cottrell, 03/09 at 10:26a.m. Am I way off base there? It just
    seemed to me that rebuilding and enlarging the icon cache would be the
    obvious first step. I watch for your reply in the other thread. Thanks.
    Heirloom, old and don't wish to post bad skinny

    > heirloom wrote:
    > > Nice shot, Rick......right on target.
    > > Heirloom, old and the moose is female
    >
    > seemed obvious when I reread it (especially the "Barbara" part), guess
    > we won't be getting feedback on what the problem turned out to be...
    >
    > Rick

    The resolution suggests to me that somewhere deep in the preferences setting
    of the Highstream software was a tick, or entry, that was blocking the
    Wisconsin site/s. Obviously, this was inadvertent. Uninstalling and
    reinstalling returned these settings to the Default, enabling the connection
    again.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > Glad you posted back with the resolution. I, too, find it odd that only
    one
    > site was affected. Not being familiar with the Highstream software, is it
    > possible that there were some settings within the app that were blocking
    the
    > site? The fresh install has, obviously, done the trick........whatever
    > works! Thank you for letting us know.
    > Heirloom, old and would have bet on the ISP
    >

    > <striped_moose@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Got a couple of emails back from the vendor (Highstream) recommending
    > > that I try cleaning out my internet cache and my cookies (I already
    > > know that wouldn't do anything).
    > >
    > > They also suggested that I try logging in using another phone number.
    > >
    > > Interestingly enough, when I dialed in another number, I couldn't
    > > access anything.
    > >
    > > I ended up uninstalling Highstream and getting rid of all references to
    > > it in the registry and installing a clean, newly downloaded version of
    > > the Highstream dialer. That solved the problem. Apparently the
    > > Highstream software installation was corrupted.
    > >
    > > It still amazes me that the only thing that was getting blocked was
    > > Wisconsin government and education sites (which do not share the same
    > > server).
    > >
    > > Barbara

Education Dial Up Connection Windows