Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unable to access any wisconsin government or education web..

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 1:12:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

For about two weeks, I have been unable to access any wisconsin
government or education websites:
www.wisc.edu
www.wisconsin.gov
www.wisconsin.edu
and others

I use windows me and a dial-up connection through highstream.net.

I wrote to highstream and asked them if they had changed anything.
Their response was to "winipcfg /release_all" and "winipcfg /renew_all"
and reboot -->> which did absolutely nothing.

Does anyone have any idea why I am unable to access these websites??
The errors that I get are either: "can't find" or "cannot find
server".

Both ping and tracert can convert the URL to an IP address for the
above-mentioned sites but both commands time-out immediately.

Thanks.

Barbara
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:57:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Thanks for sharing that with me, Andrew. That was so helpful --
*NOT*!!

I already KNOW the State of Wisconsin exists and is up and running (can
look at a Google cache to find that out).

This is what I've done today to try to solve the problem:

* I tried logging onto the internet using another ISP (Juno) and was
able to access all the Wisconsin sites that I've been unable to get to
for over two weeks.
* I removed the Highstream DNS servers which were hardcoded (198.6.1.4
and 198.6.1.5) and allowed the computer to find Highstream's DNS server
automatically. Still no joy.
* I cannot do a traceroute from my connection to ANY of the Highstream
DNS servers -- it times out immediately. When I am logged in using the
Juno ISP, I can tracert successfully to the DNS server that I get
automatically assigned to and also tracert to all the Wisconsin servers
that I have been having problems accessing using Highstream. I can
also login to all the Wisconsin sites using Juno.

This indicates to me that there is something wrong at Highstream (my
ISP). I've gotten in touch with them again.

Barbara


Andrew Murray wrote:
> I had no trouble accessing these (from Australia, that is).
>
> <striped_moose@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1110435138.775500.315470@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > For about two weeks, I have been unable to access any wisconsin
> > government or education websites:
> > www.wisc.edu
> > www.wisconsin.gov
> > www.wisconsin.edu
> > and others
> >
> > I use windows me and a dial-up connection through highstream.net.
> >
> > I wrote to highstream and asked them if they had changed anything.
> > Their response was to "winipcfg /release_all" and "winipcfg
/renew_all"
> > and reboot -->> which did absolutely nothing.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea why I am unable to access these
websites??
> > The errors that I get are either: "can't find" or "cannot find
> > server".
> >
> > Both ping and tracert can convert the URL to an IP address for the
> > above-mentioned sites but both commands time-out immediately.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Barbara
> >
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:11:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I had no trouble accessing these (from Australia, that is).

<striped_moose@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1110435138.775500.315470@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> For about two weeks, I have been unable to access any wisconsin
> government or education websites:
> www.wisc.edu
> www.wisconsin.gov
> www.wisconsin.edu
> and others
>
> I use windows me and a dial-up connection through highstream.net.
>
> I wrote to highstream and asked them if they had changed anything.
> Their response was to "winipcfg /release_all" and "winipcfg /renew_all"
> and reboot -->> which did absolutely nothing.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why I am unable to access these websites??
> The errors that I get are either: "can't find" or "cannot find
> server".
>
> Both ping and tracert can convert the URL to an IP address for the
> above-mentioned sites but both commands time-out immediately.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Barbara
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:42:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

striped_moose@hotmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for sharing that with me, Andrew. That was so helpful --
> *NOT*!!

Don't be a dick; he let you know that it works from other locations; my
guess would be that the server doesn't allow connections from your ISP
due to past abuse.


Rick
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:29:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Got a couple of emails back from the vendor (Highstream) recommending
that I try cleaning out my internet cache and my cookies (I already
know that wouldn't do anything).

They also suggested that I try logging in using another phone number.

Interestingly enough, when I dialed in another number, I couldn't
access anything.

I ended up uninstalling Highstream and getting rid of all references to
it in the registry and installing a clean, newly downloaded version of
the Highstream dialer. That solved the problem. Apparently the
Highstream software installation was corrupted.

It still amazes me that the only thing that was getting blocked was
Wisconsin government and education sites (which do not share the same
server).

Barbara
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:42:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Nice shot, Rick......right on target.
Heirloom, old and the moose is female


"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:e5mlAxeJFHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> striped_moose@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Thanks for sharing that with me, Andrew. That was so helpful --
> > *NOT*!!
>
> Don't be a dick; he let you know that it works from other locations; my
> guess would be that the server doesn't allow connections from your ISP
> due to past abuse.
>
>
> Rick
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:40:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Glad you posted back with the resolution. I, too, find it odd that only one
site was affected. Not being familiar with the Highstream software, is it
possible that there were some settings within the app that were blocking the
site? The fresh install has, obviously, done the trick........whatever
works! Thank you for letting us know.
Heirloom, old and would have bet on the ISP


<striped_moose@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1110605368.017418.252860@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Got a couple of emails back from the vendor (Highstream) recommending
> that I try cleaning out my internet cache and my cookies (I already
> know that wouldn't do anything).
>
> They also suggested that I try logging in using another phone number.
>
> Interestingly enough, when I dialed in another number, I couldn't
> access anything.
>
> I ended up uninstalling Highstream and getting rid of all references to
> it in the registry and installing a clean, newly downloaded version of
> the Highstream dialer. That solved the problem. Apparently the
> Highstream software installation was corrupted.
>
> It still amazes me that the only thing that was getting blocked was
> Wisconsin government and education sites (which do not share the same
> server).
>
> Barbara
>
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:57:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

heirloom wrote:
> Nice shot, Rick......right on target.
> Heirloom, old and the moose is female

seemed obvious when I reread it (especially the "Barbara" part), guess
we won't be getting feedback on what the problem turned out to be...

Rick
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:58:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

If we do........it probably won't be kind, lol. I had to commend you
because I felt the same way after reading the 'moose' post. Keep up the
good work..... and, if you have a chance, check out the "Icon problem" post
from Gene Cottrell, 03/09 at 10:26a.m. Am I way off base there? It just
seemed to me that rebuilding and enlarging the icon cache would be the
obvious first step. I watch for your reply in the other thread. Thanks.
Heirloom, old and don't wish to post bad skinny

"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23Sh$4$rJFHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> heirloom wrote:
> > Nice shot, Rick......right on target.
> > Heirloom, old and the moose is female
>
> seemed obvious when I reread it (especially the "Barbara" part), guess
> we won't be getting feedback on what the problem turned out to be...
>
> Rick
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 11:08:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

The resolution suggests to me that somewhere deep in the preferences setting
of the Highstream software was a tick, or entry, that was blocking the
Wisconsin site/s. Obviously, this was inadvertent. Uninstalling and
reinstalling returned these settings to the Default, enabling the connection
again.
--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
news:eaI68XsJFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Glad you posted back with the resolution. I, too, find it odd that only
one
> site was affected. Not being familiar with the Highstream software, is it
> possible that there were some settings within the app that were blocking
the
> site? The fresh install has, obviously, done the trick........whatever
> works! Thank you for letting us know.
> Heirloom, old and would have bet on the ISP
>
>
> <striped_moose@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1110605368.017418.252860@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > Got a couple of emails back from the vendor (Highstream) recommending
> > that I try cleaning out my internet cache and my cookies (I already
> > know that wouldn't do anything).
> >
> > They also suggested that I try logging in using another phone number.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, when I dialed in another number, I couldn't
> > access anything.
> >
> > I ended up uninstalling Highstream and getting rid of all references to
> > it in the registry and installing a clean, newly downloaded version of
> > the Highstream dialer. That solved the problem. Apparently the
> > Highstream software installation was corrupted.
> >
> > It still amazes me that the only thing that was getting blocked was
> > Wisconsin government and education sites (which do not share the same
> > server).
> >
> > Barbara
> >
!