kb891711.exe

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 10, 2005 7:19:22 PM

Hello to all the MVPs,
I have noted kb891711.exe
running as a task on my Win Me O/S
Is this a M/S fix??
or Bug??
Thanks in advance

More about : kb891711 exe

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:19:23 PM

891171 is a valid patch (KB891171 - "MS05-002: Vulnerability in cursor and
icon format handling could allow remote code execution"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711)). Patches usually run once,
patch or update an existing file or files and then exit never to run again
but it appears that 891171 is different and that kb891171.exe runs
continuously in the background. See also "Microsoft Security Bulletin
MS05-002 - Vulnerability in Cursor and Icon Format Handling Could Allow
Remote Code Execution (891711)"
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05... for more
details although no specific details for Win Me are included.

In the case of the 891171 patch it adds the files kb891711.exe and
q891171.dll to a new folder windows\system\kb891711 but updates no other
files.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

John Doe <JohnDoe@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Hello to all the MVPs,
> I have noted kb891711.exe
> running as a task on my Win Me O/S
> Is this a M/S fix??
> or Bug??
> Thanks in advance
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:36:15 AM

Thanks Mike,
I did wonder when I found it running
after I patched and rebooted several times
if it was valid or not.
Thanks for getting back to me so soon,
and with such comprehensive information.
DR

> 891171 is a valid patch (KB891171 - "MS05-002: Vulnerability in cursor and
> icon format handling could allow remote code execution"
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711)). Patches usually run once,
> patch or update an existing file or files and then exit never to run again
> but it appears that 891171 is different and that kb891171.exe runs
> continuously in the background. See also "Microsoft Security Bulletin
> MS05-002 - Vulnerability in Cursor and Icon Format Handling Could Allow
> Remote Code Execution (891711)"
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05... for more
> details although no specific details for Win Me are included.
>
> In the case of the 891171 patch it adds the files kb891711.exe and
> q891171.dll to a new folder windows\system\kb891711 but updates no other
> files.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> John Doe <JohnDoe@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> > Hello to all the MVPs,
> > I have noted kb891711.exe
> > running as a task on my Win Me O/S
> > Is this a M/S fix??
> > or Bug??
> > Thanks in advance

Related resources
March 11, 2005 2:36:16 AM

John Doe wrote:
> Thanks Mike,
> I did wonder when I found it running
> after I patched and rebooted several times
> if it was valid or not.
> Thanks for getting back to me so soon,
> and with such comprehensive information.
> DR
>
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
>
>>891171 is a valid patch (KB891171 - "MS05-002: Vulnerability in cursor and
>>icon format handling could allow remote code execution"
>>(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711)). Patches usually run once,
>>patch or update an existing file or files and then exit never to run again
>>but it appears that 891171 is different and that kb891171.exe runs
>>continuously in the background. See also "Microsoft Security Bulletin
>>MS05-002 - Vulnerability in Cursor and Icon Format Handling Could Allow
>>Remote Code Execution (891711)"
>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05... for more
>>details although no specific details for Win Me are included.
>>
>>In the case of the 891171 patch it adds the files kb891711.exe and
>>q891171.dll to a new folder windows\system\kb891711 but updates no other
>>files.
>>--
>>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>>mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>>John Doe <JohnDoe@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>>

>>>Hello to all the MVPs,
>>>I have noted kb891711.exe
>>>running as a task on my Win Me O/S
>>>Is this a M/S fix??
>>>or Bug??
>>>Thanks in advance

I installed KB891711 and 888113 yesterday and had nothing but blue
screen problems on start up today. I found 891711 in Startup and have
disabled it. So far restart OK. Anyone else having trouble?
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:36:17 AM

"Vince" <idont@accept.spam> wrote in message
> John Doe wrote:
> > Thanks Mike,
> > I did wonder when I found it running
> > after I patched and rebooted several times
> > if it was valid or not.
> > Thanks for getting back to me so soon,
> > and with such comprehensive information.
> > DR
> >
> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> >
> >>891171 is a valid patch (KB891171 - "MS05-002: Vulnerability in cursor
and
> >>icon format handling could allow remote code execution"
> >>(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711)). Patches usually run once,
> >>patch or update an existing file or files and then exit never to run
again
> >>but it appears that 891171 is different and that kb891171.exe runs
> >>continuously in the background. See also "Microsoft Security Bulletin
> >>MS05-002 - Vulnerability in Cursor and Icon Format Handling Could Allow
> >>Remote Code Execution (891711)"
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05... for
more
> >>details although no specific details for Win Me are included.
> >>
> >>In the case of the 891171 patch it adds the files kb891711.exe and
> >>q891171.dll to a new folder windows\system\kb891711 but updates no other
> >>files.
> >>--
> >>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> >>mike.maltby@gmail.com

> I installed KB891711 and 888113 yesterday and had nothing but blue
> screen problems on start up today. I found 891711 in Startup and have
> disabled it. So far restart OK. Anyone else having trouble?

I really think your problem lies somewhere else. I downloaded and installed
these updates with no difficulty, although I wondered for a while why one of
them (KB891711) showed up among the background running programs. (This
question was answered here earlier.)

Ken Bland
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:23:55 PM

In article <4230b96b$0$26714$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, Vince says...

> I installed KB891711 and 888113 yesterday and had nothing but blue
> screen problems on start up today. I found 891711 in Startup and have
> disabled it. So far restart OK. Anyone else having trouble?

People were reporting problems when Zone Alarm, Norton Antivirus, and the
Mozilla browsers were used. I can't address the ZA or NAV issues; I don't
run either. However, Mozilla 1.7.5, Firefox 1.0.1, and Netscape 7.2 all
caused problems for me; Mozilla and Firefox a recoverable blue screen error,
Netscape an unrecoverable lockup.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

In article <#zyKbjbJFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Justin Thyme says...

> I really think your problem lies somewhere else. I downloaded and installed
> these updates with no difficulty, although I wondered for a while why one of
> them (KB891711) showed up among the background running programs. (This
> question was answered here earlier.)

You don't use Mozilla browsers, do you. Kb891711.exe causes problems when
using those browsers.

After checking the write up, I decided I can live without the patch. It
seems that I'd have to have my Internet Zone security settings set to allow
scripts to run, which is not the case for me. It is unclear whether the
vulnerability carries over to the other browsers, but I think not. If it is
scripting issues, the other browsers also control scripting access.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...

NOTE: I could be wrong, MSFT is being very coy about this. Trying, again, to
kill the competition? That is the main reason my next OS will not be built
by Microsoft.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
March 11, 2005 3:47:15 PM

I'm not having any problems with Firefox 1.0.1 or Mozilla 1.7.5 and
running ZA Pro 5.1.039. Could the culprit be NAV?

N. Miller wrote:
> In article <4230b96b$0$26714$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, Vince says...
>

>>I installed KB891711 and 888113 yesterday and had nothing but blue
>>screen problems on start up today. I found 891711 in Startup and have
>>disabled it. So far restart OK. Anyone else having trouble?
>

> People were reporting problems when Zone Alarm, Norton Antivirus, and the
> Mozilla browsers were used. I can't address the ZA or NAV issues; I don't
> run either. However, Mozilla 1.7.5, Firefox 1.0.1, and Netscape 7.2 all
> caused problems for me; Mozilla and Firefox a recoverable blue screen error,
> Netscape an unrecoverable lockup.

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:24:39 PM

Could be NAV, I using IE6 still having problems. After doing updates
KB891711 and KB888113 got )0E &
0D Blue Screens followed by GPF by RSCMPT on Krnt386.exe so did a restore
to previous date. Another problem but not related I have to reload Norton
Systemworks(2002) everytime I do a restore to get it working. Never a dull
moment.

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I'm not having any problems with Firefox 1.0.1 or Mozilla 1.7.5 and
> running ZA Pro 5.1.039. Could the culprit be NAV?
>
> N. Miller wrote:
> > In article <4230b96b$0$26714$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, Vince
says...

> >>I installed KB891711 and 888113 yesterday and had nothing but blue
> >>screen problems on start up today. I found 891711 in Startup and have
> >>disabled it. So far restart OK. Anyone else having trouble?
> >

> > People were reporting problems when Zone Alarm, Norton Antivirus, and
the
> > Mozilla browsers were used. I can't address the ZA or NAV issues; I
don't
> > run either. However, Mozilla 1.7.5, Firefox 1.0.1, and Netscape 7.2 all
> > caused problems for me; Mozilla and Firefox a recoverable blue screen
error,
> > Netscape an unrecoverable lockup.

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:09:21 PM

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In article <#zyKbjbJFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Justin Thyme says...
>
> > I really think your problem lies somewhere else. I downloaded and
installed
> > these updates with no difficulty, although I wondered for a while why
one of
> > them (KB891711) showed up among the background running programs. (This
> > question was answered here earlier.)
>
> You don't use Mozilla browsers, do you. Kb891711.exe causes problems when
> using those browsers.
>
> After checking the write up, I decided I can live without the patch. It
> seems that I'd have to have my Internet Zone security settings set to
allow
> scripts to run, which is not the case for me. It is unclear whether the
> vulnerability carries over to the other browsers, but I think not. If it
is
> scripting issues, the other browsers also control scripting access.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...
>
> NOTE: I could be wrong, MSFT is being very coy about this. Trying, again,
> kill the competition? That is the main reason my next OS will not be built
> by Microsoft.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

I'm using Firefox 1.0.1 (mostly) as my browser and I didn't notice any
difference in the way it worked, or experience any conflicts.

Ken Bland
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:11:42 PM

"Patrick Casher" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Could be NAV, I using IE6 still having problems.

I'm running NAV 2005 and have IE6 with all the latests updates. I usually use
Opera, but I just fired IE up and jumped around a few places and didn't see
anything odd.

> After doing updates KB891711 and KB888113 got )0E & 0D Blue Screens
> followed by GPF by RSCMPT on Krnt386.exe so did a restore to previous date.

I installed both of the updates the day the came out and have had no problems at
all. Process Explorer shows KB89171.EXE running along fine.

> Another problem but not related I have to reload Norton
> Systemworks(2002) everytime I do a restore to get it working.

I don't have any of that, though. Just Antivirus 2005. I've also never used
Firefox or Netscape on this machine.

Actually two machines. My machine is older and has more hardware on it
(scanner, printer, etc.) and my kids machine is newer with more software (games,
movie maker software, etc.).

> Never a dull moment.

Seems like.

- Bill
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:11:43 PM

Ok,
I have Windows Me, and I also run Norton internet security. Heack if I
know when the KB891711 was placed on my machine. but it most of been the
other day, when it did a update.
But in the last two days, the computer has been locking up on me some. Not
a whole lot, just some.
I have read all the post here, and I am just a tiny bit confussed.

Question: Can we turn the KB891711 off in our startup?

I use IE 6.0, Netscape, Norton Internet Security on this
computer. Do I need this patch?

I don't like things running in the background to much. I do a lot on the
computer and when there are to much running in background, I loose a lot of
resources, and also the computer slows down.

"Bill Leary" wrote:

> "Patrick Casher" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Could be NAV, I using IE6 still having problems.
>
> I'm running NAV 2005 and have IE6 with all the latests updates. I usually use
> Opera, but I just fired IE up and jumped around a few places and didn't see
> anything odd.
>
> > After doing updates KB891711 and KB888113 got )0E & 0D Blue Screens
> > followed by GPF by RSCMPT on Krnt386.exe so did a restore to previous date.
>
> I installed both of the updates the day the came out and have had no problems at
> all. Process Explorer shows KB89171.EXE running along fine.
>
> > Another problem but not related I have to reload Norton
> > Systemworks(2002) everytime I do a restore to get it working.
>
> I don't have any of that, though. Just Antivirus 2005. I've also never used
> Firefox or Netscape on this machine.
>
> Actually two machines. My machine is older and has more hardware on it
> (scanner, printer, etc.) and my kids machine is newer with more software (games,
> movie maker software, etc.).
>
> > Never a dull moment.
>
> Seems like.
>
> - Bill

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:57:04 PM

In article <uIx5cMnJFHA.3204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, TomV says...

> N. Miller wrote:
> > In article <4230b96b$0$26714$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, Vince says...

> >>I installed KB891711 and 888113 yesterday and had nothing but blue
> >>screen problems on start up today. I found 891711 in Startup and have
> >>disabled it. So far restart OK. Anyone else having trouble?

> > People were reporting problems when Zone Alarm, Norton Antivirus, and the
> > Mozilla browsers were used. I can't address the ZA or NAV issues; I don't
> > run either. However, Mozilla 1.7.5, Firefox 1.0.1, and Netscape 7.2 all
> > caused problems for me; Mozilla and Firefox a recoverable blue screen error,
> > Netscape an unrecoverable lockup.

> I'm not having any problems with Firefox 1.0.1 or Mozilla 1.7.5 and
> running ZA Pro 5.1.039. Could the culprit be NAV?

Probably not. It is not installed on my system. In fact, I have no "on
access" AV scanner running.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:58:21 AM

Add Auction Sentry and Adobe Acrobat v5.x and v6.x (I updated Acrobat when
it wouldn't run).

BSOD and BSON :-) for me too.

How can I prevent my machine from reloading Kb891711 again?

I'm running Me (hence my presence here) and I (think) have automatic
updating ON.

--
Andrew Bowie
abowie@internode.on.net
> In article <4230b96b$0$26714$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, Vince says...
>
> > I installed KB891711 and 888113 yesterday and had nothing but blue
> > screen problems on start up today. I found 891711 in Startup and have
> > disabled it. So far restart OK. Anyone else having trouble?
>
> People were reporting problems when Zone Alarm, Norton Antivirus, and the
> Mozilla browsers were used. I can't address the ZA or NAV issues; I don't
> run either. However, Mozilla 1.7.5, Firefox 1.0.1, and Netscape 7.2 all
> caused problems for me; Mozilla and Firefox a recoverable blue screen
error,
> Netscape an unrecoverable lockup.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
March 13, 2005 10:58:22 AM

I had four definite sensitive products with this, random effects though:

1. Mozilla based browsers (Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape). Mine is Netscape.
2. Zone Alarm unexplained deletions from 'approved' programs.
3. ADSL modem - just clicking to connect gave a blue screen.
4. Non-M'soft scrollwheel mice. Touch the wheel and pow! All blue.

Symantec products were OK as far as I know. I'm not sure why they've
been getting the blame. It seemed obvious on my PC that Netscape was the
obvious first hit - probably because I usually open it first.

What will M'soft do about this wreck? Issue a new patch that overwrites
KB917911 or leave us all to stew (because we don't use the MS tools).

It's not so bad for the Newsgroup watchers - what about everybody else?
I've posted on a Netscape Newsgroup and e-mailed a daily paper here in
the UK. It runs a weekly computer page and has been suggesting Firefox
as a good alternatve to IE.

Vince
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 8:20:41 PM

In article <urpewboJFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Justin Thyme says...

> "N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > In article <#zyKbjbJFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Justin Thyme says...

> > > I really think your problem lies somewhere else. I downloaded and
> > > installed these updates with no difficulty, although I wondered for
> > > a while why one of them (KB891711) showed up among the background
> > > running programs. (This question was answered here earlier.)

> > You don't use Mozilla browsers, do you. Kb891711.exe causes problems when
> > using those browsers.

<snip>

> I'm using Firefox 1.0.1 (mostly) as my browser and I didn't notice any
> difference in the way it worked, or experience any conflicts.

I took a chance, installed the lame patch on the other computer on my LAN.
The result is curious; both computers are identical in the basic hardware,
and about the same age. Firefox runs on one, but crashes on the other. Even
MSIE crashes on the other. Basically, I can leave Kb891711 installed, and
running on one computer, but I have to take it off of the other one.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:03:08 AM

"Zboing Mouflon" wrote:
> Add Auction Sentry and Adobe Acrobat v5.x and v6.x (I updated
> Acrobat when
> it wouldn't run).
>
> BSOD and BSON :-) for me too.
>
> How can I prevent my machine from reloading Kb891711 again?
>
> I'm running Me (hence my presence here) and I (think) have
> automatic
> updating ON.
>
> --
> Andrew Bowie
> abowie@internode.on.net
> www.users.on.net/abowie
> "N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > In article <4230b96b$0$26714$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, Vince says...
> >
>  > > I installed KB891711 and 888113 yesterday and had
> nothing but blue
>  > > screen problems on start up today. I found 891711 in
> Startup and have
>  > > disabled it. So far restart OK. Anyone else having
> trouble?
> >
> > People were reporting problems when Zone Alarm, Norton
> Antivirus, and the
> > Mozilla browsers were used. I can't address the ZA or NAV
> issues; I don't
> > run either. However, Mozilla 1.7.5, Firefox 1.0.1, and
> Netscape 7.2 all
> > caused problems for me; Mozilla and Firefox a recoverable
> blue screen
> error,
> > Netscape an unrecoverable lockup.
> >
> > --
> > Norman
> > ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> > ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> > ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

I get a blue screen with Error 06 : 0200 : 0000084C in Windows ME when
I each time I open IE6 after running QuickTime. It continously
crashes until I use ctrl-alt-del to end task kb891711 but when I then
reboot I get a general protection fault error in wdmaud.drv. I had to
uninstall kb891711 to stop windows from crashing. This hotfix was
downloaded from Windows Update. I cannot afford to call Microsoft
because they want $35 for tech support.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-kb89171...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1075931
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:27:22 AM

I'd be intriqued to know what processors are running in each system.

> In article <urpewboJFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Justin Thyme says...
>
>> "N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> > In article <#zyKbjbJFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Justin Thyme
>> > says...

>> > You don't use Mozilla browsers, do you. Kb891711.exe causes problems
>> > when
>> > using those browsers.
>
> <snip>
>
>> I'm using Firefox 1.0.1 (mostly) as my browser and I didn't notice any
>> difference in the way it worked, or experience any conflicts.
>
> I took a chance, installed the lame patch on the other computer on my LAN.
> The result is curious; both computers are identical in the basic hardware,
> and about the same age. Firefox runs on one, but crashes on the other.
> Even
> MSIE crashes on the other. Basically, I can leave Kb891711 installed, and
> running on one computer, but I have to take it off of the other one.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:30:39 AM

Weeelll then ... as soon as you find out what's different between the two,
tell us. With a little luck that will provide an invaluable clue as to why
it breaks some systems but not others.

Check startup items, installed software and hardware, etc, etc.

* In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
* http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In article <urpewboJFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Justin Thyme says...
>
>> "N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> > In article <#zyKbjbJFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Justin Thyme
>> > says...

>> > You don't use Mozilla browsers, do you. Kb891711.exe causes problems
>> > when
>> > using those browsers.
>
> <snip>
>
>> I'm using Firefox 1.0.1 (mostly) as my browser and I didn't notice any
>> difference in the way it worked, or experience any conflicts.
>
> I took a chance, installed the lame patch on the other computer on my LAN.
> The result is curious; both computers are identical in the basic hardware,
> and about the same age. Firefox runs on one, but crashes on the other.
> Even
> MSIE crashes on the other. Basically, I can leave Kb891711 installed, and
> running on one computer, but I have to take it off of the other one.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:59:43 AM

I recommend closely examining the Belarc Advisor and Everest reports for the
two machines, inspecting for hardware and software differences which might
explain the different KB891711 outcomes.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In article <urpewboJFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Justin Thyme says...
>
> > "N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > > In article <#zyKbjbJFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Justin Thyme
says...

> > > You don't use Mozilla browsers, do you. Kb891711.exe causes problems
when
> > > using those browsers.
>
> <snip>
>
> > I'm using Firefox 1.0.1 (mostly) as my browser and I didn't notice any
> > difference in the way it worked, or experience any conflicts.
>
> I took a chance, installed the lame patch on the other computer on my LAN.
> The result is curious; both computers are identical in the basic hardware,
> and about the same age. Firefox runs on one, but crashes on the other.
Even
> MSIE crashes on the other. Basically, I can leave Kb891711 installed, and
> running on one computer, but I have to take it off of the other one.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:11:43 AM

> I cannot afford to call Microsoft
> because they want $35 for tech support.

Microsoft make no charge for hotfix support.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

KeithWeisshar <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

> I get a blue screen with Error 06 : 0200 : 0000084C in Windows ME when
> I each time I open IE6 after running QuickTime. It continously
> crashes until I use ctrl-alt-del to end task kb891711 but when I then
> reboot I get a general protection fault error in wdmaud.drv. I had to
> uninstall kb891711 to stop windows from crashing. This hotfix was
> downloaded from Windows Update. I cannot afford to call Microsoft
> because they want $35 for tech support.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 7:31:08 PM

In article <#i$yyYEKFHA.2936@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, Richard G. Harper
says...

> Weeelll then ... as soon as you find out what's different between the two,
> tell us. With a little luck that will provide an invaluable clue as to why
> it breaks some systems but not others.

> Check startup items, installed software and hardware, etc, etc.

Nothing in the Starup that seems to make a difference, nor in the hardware.
Both are Intel Celeron 700 processors. They are both HP Pavilion 6745Cs,
only nine digits difference in the serial numbers; both purchased on the
same day at the same store, and set up at the same time.

Two differences. One is the BIOS dates. However, considering that people are
starting to zero in on graphics, I decided to check the graphics drivers.
Both computers have the Intel 82810 graphics chip set. Both have been
updated from the original drivers. It seems that I wasn't as diligent at
keeping things equal on the computers:

Megumi (kb891711 causes crashes):
Intel driver version: 4.13.01.3196

Naomi (kb891711 doesn't cause crashes):
Intel driver version: 4.13.01.3004

Just checked the Intel site; Megumi has the latest driver available.
Installer: WIN9xM67.EXE.

Naomi has one version earlier than the latest driver available.
Installer: WIN9xM66.EXE.

I will have to balance what the latest version of the driver offers against
what the "patch" offers, I guess. Whether it is better to run the latest
graphic driver without the patch, or roll back the driver version and run
the patch.

Damn! I hate playing beta tester; but the only way to satisfy my curiosity
will be to roll back the driver version and re-apply the patch. I will think
about it...

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:18:37 PM

Norman, do you have the tools available to completely backup both OS
partitions so as to be able to revert if necessary?
If so, this will ease your concern. An external USB HD is pretty
inexpensive these days, and usually comes with a good backup software, i.e.,
Retrospect.

!