SATA with SCSI drives. How to ?

Asus A7N8X Deluxe,
Adaptec AHA2940 UW SCSI adapter with three SCSI disks and other stuff
Two PATA Maxtor 40 GB IDE hard disks
One SATA Maxtor 120 GB hard disk.

I'd like to boot on the SATA. I made a bootable primary active partition,
formatted it and installed the stystem on it.
Configurating the setup to boot on the SCSI first leads to a "Disk boot
failure".
On the SCSI disks, all primary partitions are hidden.

Then I disabled the SCSI BIOS on the AHA2940 and everything went correct for
the SATA except that the SCSI devices aren't visible.

I can't both boot on the SATA and see the SCSI devices.
The only way I managed to see the SATA was to boot either on the PATA or on
one of the SCSI disks.

Any clue ?
Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about sata scsi drives

    Uh..... ok, I'll bite.
    Never owned a SATA or an IDE tho....
    So what you're ultimately wanting to do is what?
    Boot the SATA and see the SCSIs?

    Trying to recall the 2940UW BIOS options but keep mixing it up with the 29160...
    Disable the SCSI bios loading as it only needs to load if you're booting something
    from that bus. Enable the Include in BIOS scan for the individual SCSI drives.
    Enable the INT13 extensions for the drives/2940.
    The Winders install on the SATA; did you install the 2940 drivers and ASPI stuff?

    I can probably be a bit more helpful after I reboot and check the 2940 bios.
    Mine only runs 2 CD burners so I rarely have to change configs in there.
    The 29160 runs 8 drives and the options are a little fresher in my mind.

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:16:47 +0100, "Aldo Larrabiata" <duschmoll@racer.com> wrote:

    >Asus A7N8X Deluxe,
    >Adaptec AHA2940 UW SCSI adapter with three SCSI disks and other stuff
    >Two PATA Maxtor 40 GB IDE hard disks
    >One SATA Maxtor 120 GB hard disk.
    >
    >I'd like to boot on the SATA. I made a bootable primary active partition,
    >formatted it and installed the stystem on it.
    >Configurating the setup to boot on the SCSI first leads to a "Disk boot
    >failure".
    >On the SCSI disks, all primary partitions are hidden.
    >
    >Then I disabled the SCSI BIOS on the AHA2940 and everything went correct for
    >the SATA except that the SCSI devices aren't visible.
    >
    >I can't both boot on the SATA and see the SCSI devices.
    >The only way I managed to see the SATA was to boot either on the PATA or on
    >one of the SCSI disks.
    >
    >Any clue ?
    >Thanks
    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.

    I didn't install anything for SCSI use. I've probably got a CD with the
    2940UW adapter but don't remember where it could be.
    Since the SCSI drives aren't visible, I guess I should install something.
    Probably what you're saying.
    Well I gonna go googling a bit.
    See you

    41bcabcc.15683625@news.central.cox.net...

    <duschmoll@racer.com> wrote:

    > >Asus A7N8X Deluxe,
    > >Adaptec AHA2940 UW SCSI adapter with three SCSI disks and other stuff
    > >Two PATA Maxtor 40 GB IDE hard disks
    > >One SATA Maxtor 120 GB hard disk.
    > >
    > >I'd like to boot on the SATA. I made a bootable primary active partition,
    > >formatted it and installed the stystem on it.
    > >Configurating the setup to boot on the SCSI first leads to a "Disk boot
    > >failure".
    > >On the SCSI disks, all primary partitions are hidden.
    > >
    > >Then I disabled the SCSI BIOS on the AHA2940 and everything went correct
    for
    > >the SATA except that the SCSI devices aren't visible.
    > >
    > >I can't both boot on the SATA and see the SCSI devices.
    > >The only way I managed to see the SATA was to boot either on the PATA or
    on
    > >one of the SCSI disks.
    > >
    > >Any clue ?
    > >Thanks
    > ~~~~~~
    > Bait for spammers:
    > root@localhost
    > postmaster@localhost
    > admin@localhost
    > abuse@localhost
    > postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > ~~~~~~
    > Remove "spamless" to email me.

    Actually Windows on your SATA should have installed it's own default
    drivers but if the scsi drives weren't included in the bios scan or INT13
    options in the 2940 BIOS the hardware itself probably won't show up to
    the motherboard BIOS when the system boots up so Windows never saw
    the drives thus won't install anything. The 2940 bios options are the important
    thing. After that, you can install the Adaptec software to let Windows handle
    things if you like. First you have to let the 2940 bios let the drives be seen.

    Then;

    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/AHA-2940UW

    and

    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=ASPI-4.70

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:00:08 +0100, "Aldo Larrabiata" <duschmoll@racer.com> wrote:

    >I didn't install anything for SCSI use. I've probably got a CD with the
    >2940UW adapter but don't remember where it could be.
    >Since the SCSI drives aren't visible, I guess I should install something.
    >Probably what you're saying.
    >Well I gonna go googling a bit.
    >See you
    >

    >"Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news:
    >41bcabcc.15683625@news.central.cox.net...
    >> Uh..... ok, I'll bite.
    >> Never owned a SATA or an IDE tho....
    >> So what you're ultimately wanting to do is what?
    >> Boot the SATA and see the SCSIs?
    >>
    >> Trying to recall the 2940UW BIOS options but keep mixing it up with the
    >29160...
    >> Disable the SCSI bios loading as it only needs to load if you're booting
    >something
    >> from that bus. Enable the Include in BIOS scan for the individual SCSI
    >drives.
    >> Enable the INT13 extensions for the drives/2940.
    >> The Winders install on the SATA; did you install the 2940 drivers and ASPI
    >stuff?
    >>
    >> I can probably be a bit more helpful after I reboot and check the 2940
    >bios.
    >> Mine only runs 2 CD burners so I rarely have to change configs in there.
    >> The 29160 runs 8 drives and the options are a little fresher in my mind.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:16:47 +0100, "Aldo Larrabiata"
    ><duschmoll@racer.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Asus A7N8X Deluxe,
    >> >Adaptec AHA2940 UW SCSI adapter with three SCSI disks and other stuff
    >> >Two PATA Maxtor 40 GB IDE hard disks
    >> >One SATA Maxtor 120 GB hard disk.
    >> >
    >> >I'd like to boot on the SATA. I made a bootable primary active partition,
    >> >formatted it and installed the stystem on it.
    >> >Configurating the setup to boot on the SCSI first leads to a "Disk boot
    >> >failure".
    >> >On the SCSI disks, all primary partitions are hidden.
    >> >
    >> >Then I disabled the SCSI BIOS on the AHA2940 and everything went correct
    >for
    >> >the SATA except that the SCSI devices aren't visible.
    >> >
    >> >I can't both boot on the SATA and see the SCSI devices.
    >> >The only way I managed to see the SATA was to boot either on the PATA or
    >on
    >> >one of the SCSI disks.
    >> >
    >> >Any clue ?
    >> >Thanks
    >> ~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.

    Windows 98SE isn't yet installed on the SATA, for the moment, I'm just
    trying to see all the disks under DOS, with the letters at the right place.

    I just went from the Adaptec site. I'm a bit lost between the variety of
    drivers and ASPI Layers. Just downloaded drivers for Win98 & Win 2000 (next
    step = dual boot). With the urls you gave I got the last ASPI layer 4.71.2.

    Current status:
    I disabled the SCSI BIOS via the option within the SCSI setup. That's the
    only way for me the SATA can be seen.
    Now I've to make the SCSI disks visible. I understand that INT13 needs to be
    handled by software since the BIOS option is disabled.
    So, what's next step ? To install first the drivers for DOS & Win98SE
    (7800_fms303_disk1.exe) and update them (fms_on_cd_v40a_sp3a.exe) or does
    the ASPI layer need to be installed prior to anything else (and which one
    4.60 as mentioned in the AHA2940UW page or the version 4.71.2 located in
    another page) ?

    TIA

    41bcb349.17599890@news.central.cox.net...

    <duschmoll@racer.com> wrote:

    > >I didn't install anything for SCSI use. I've probably got a CD with the
    > >2940UW adapter but don't remember where it could be.
    > >Since the SCSI drives aren't visible, I guess I should install something.
    > >Probably what you're saying.
    > >Well I gonna go googling a bit.
    > >See you
    > >

    > >"Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news:
    > >41bcabcc.15683625@news.central.cox.net...
    > >> Uh..... ok, I'll bite.
    > >> Never owned a SATA or an IDE tho....
    > >> So what you're ultimately wanting to do is what?
    > >> Boot the SATA and see the SCSIs?
    > >>
    > >> Trying to recall the 2940UW BIOS options but keep mixing it up with the
    > >29160...
    > >> Disable the SCSI bios loading as it only needs to load if you're
    booting
    > >something
    > >> from that bus. Enable the Include in BIOS scan for the individual SCSI
    > >drives.
    > >> Enable the INT13 extensions for the drives/2940.
    > >> The Winders install on the SATA; did you install the 2940 drivers and
    ASPI
    > >stuff?
    > >>
    > >> I can probably be a bit more helpful after I reboot and check the 2940
    > >bios.
    > >> Mine only runs 2 CD burners so I rarely have to change configs in
    there.
    > >> The 29160 runs 8 drives and the options are a little fresher in my
    mind.

    > >for

    > >on

    > >> ~~~~~~
    > ~~~~~~
    > Bait for spammers:
    > root@localhost
    > postmaster@localhost
    > admin@localhost
    > abuse@localhost
    > postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > ~~~~~~
    > Remove "spamless" to email me.

    Is there SATA drivers fot DOS???????

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Aldo Larrabiata" <duschmoll@racer.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> [...]
    > important
    > > thing. After that, you can install the Adaptec software to let Windows
    > handle
    > > things if you like. First you have to let the 2940 bios let the drives
    be
    > seen.
    > >
    > > Then;

    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&lang
    > uage=English+US&cat=/Product/AHA-2940UW
    > >
    > > and

    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=Eng
    > lish+US&prodkey=ASPI-4.70
    > >

    > > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:00:08 +0100, "Aldo Larrabiata"
    > <duschmoll@racer.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I didn't install anything for SCSI use. I've probably got a CD with the
    > > >2940UW adapter but don't remember where it could be.
    > > >Since the SCSI drives aren't visible, I guess I should install

    No need. As far as the the SATA RAID menu is displayed during boot, the disk
    is recognized.

    The problem is located on SCSI side, not SATA.

    41bd13b7_1@news.dnainternet.net...

Homebuilt SATA SCSI Boot Systems