No BIOS -- Floppy Drive Not Working Properly....

I have a Socket 754 ASUS K8V SE Deluxe(VIAK8T800) mobo with a lil over
2 gigs of RAM. I am using a generic sony floppy and have Crash Free
Flash BIOS 2. I am also running Windows XP Home.

My Problems:

1. When I start up my computer, it runs through the usual phases,
including the screen prompting you to hit 'del' to enter the BIOS. If I
hit the 'del' key it continues on to no avail. One person suggested
that my computer may be running fast, and that I ought to hit the 'del'
key as soon as I turn the computer on; I've tried this as well, and
still nothing.

2. If I put a floppy into my floppy drive it the light will flash and
the drive purrs. When I try to open the floppy icon in My Computer, it
says that I must insert a floppy disk. I've tried everything, including
updating the driver from the device manager, I can come up with and
have come to the following conclusions:

a. The drive is defective
b. The disks are too old(doubtful)
c. For some reason Windows doesn't recognize the drive, although it
says one
is connected and working fine.

I know it may seem like I've found the answer to the latter problem,
but was hoping I could maybe get some input on that as well, Thanks a
lot.

Still no good.

Also, I was able to get into the BIOS before, but after a while it just
stopped working. When it worked before I used the del key by the
insert, end, and home buttons.

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001

On 12 Dec 2004 13:01:00 -0800, "Jewbster" <jewbster@rednecks.com> wrote:

>I have a Socket 754 ASUS K8V SE Deluxe(VIAK8T800) mobo with a lil over
>2 gigs of RAM. I am using a generic sony floppy and have Crash Free
>Flash BIOS 2. I am also running Windows XP Home.
>
>My Problems:
>
>1. When I start up my computer, it runs through the usual phases,
>including the screen prompting you to hit 'del' to enter the BIOS. If I
>hit the 'del' key it continues on to no avail. One person suggested
>that my computer may be running fast, and that I ought to hit the 'del'
>key as soon as I turn the computer on; I've tried this as well, and
>still nothing.

Use the other delete key

>2. If I put a floppy into my floppy drive it the light will flash and
>the drive purrs. When I try to open the floppy icon in My Computer, it
>says that I must insert a floppy disk. I've tried everything, including
>updating the driver from the device manager, I can come up with and
>have come to the following conclusions:
>
>a. The drive is defective
>b. The disks are too old(doubtful)
>c. For some reason Windows doesn't recognize the drive, although it
>says one
>is connected and working fine.
>
>I know it may seem like I've found the answer to the latter problem,
>but was hoping I could maybe get some input on that as well, Thanks a
>lot.

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.

How about resetting the bios? Find the jumper on the mb, move the jumper to
the other two pins then move the jumper back to the original two pins. Do
this after the computer is off and you've pulled out the power cord.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"Jewbster" <jewbster@rednecks.com> wrote in message
> Still no good.
>
> Also, I was able to get into the BIOS before, but after a while it just
> stopped working. When it worked before I used the del key by the
> insert, end, and home buttons.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Jewbster wrote:
> Still no good.
>
> Also, I was able to get into the BIOS before, but after a while it just
> stopped working. When it worked before I used the del key by the
> insert, end, and home buttons.

Have you tried a different keyboard?? There is a crystal clock in your
keyboard that might not be accurate.

jad

huh?

JAD wrote:
> huh?

I asked if he tried a different keyboard. There is an oscillator
(crystal controlled clock) in the keyboard logic if my memory serves me
right. If the frequency of that oscillator drifts, it can cause errors
from the keyboard output.

> "Ken" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Jewbster wrote:
>>
>>>Still no good.
>>>
>>>Also, I was able to get into the BIOS before, but after a while it just
>>>stopped working. When it worked before I used the del key by the
>>>insert, end, and home buttons.
>>>

>>Have you tried a different keyboard?? There is a crystal clock in your
>>keyboard that might not be accurate.

Press and HOLD until inside BIOS ????

--
Tumppi