BSOD and BSON, so removed 'buggy' Mar 8 05 security update..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Mar 9 2005, windowsupdate successfully installed:
Security Update for Windows Me (KB888113) Mar 8 2005
Security Update for Windows Me (KB891711) Mar 8 2005

Before fully loaded, IE6 and Moz cause 2 types of BSOD or BSON (Blue Screen Of
Narcolepsy = cycles thru "press any key to continue")
Error: 06: 09CF: 00000776F
Error: 0D: 0967: 000000E24
Error: 0E: 0187: BFF8E648
Error: 0D: 09CF: 00000B995
Error: 0E: 0187: BFF8E64B

To end each of these cycles, I restarted computer.
----
Other net apps? Lucomserver (NAV update) and Xnews load fine, but I didn't try OE.
----

Computer gets to the internet to via LAN router. After disconnecting the Ethernet, all net
apps successfully loaded and "successfully" made attempts to connect to the net
(google/tool/bar clicks worked in IE, Moz)

During all of this, I saw that kb891711 is in the 3-Finger-Salute list. (Ctrl + Alt + Del)
and BSON and Win3 style err screens, gave clues:
msgrvr32
vsmon (vsmon is an exe of ZoneAlarm free)
krnl386

Now reconnected to Ethernet, I restarted computer, and all net apps ran OK, reached
the net. (Why now?) But when I clicked an EXE in a folder on the LAN, BSONs cycled
again. And, the computer wouldn't start without entering BSON cycle.

Eventually I caught the computer during a startup with the 3 finger, and was able to kill
zlclient, nav, sbserv (sbserv shows only during startup), etc from the list. Then I
uninstalled kb891711 (Control Panel, Add/Remove)

Computer ran fine for the rest of the evening.

----- epilogue
I used Qfecheck.exe after uninstall. Shows only 3 dll, zipflfd, dzip32,dunzip32, probably
because I disabled the zip ability of windows find. I think Qfecheck is supposed to verify
registry entries match file versions of updated files.

Googling shows that the equivalent (?) of kb891711 has been updated to w2k and XP for
a couple months. And since win9x is now "unsupported", I predict this fix will never be
fixed.
2 answers Last reply
More about bsod bson removed buggy security update
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    MsOsWin@anon.com,

    I am sorry you are hitting this issue. There are many things to test with
    any given platform, and it is not clear what issue you are actually running
    into, since so many other services, etc. are calling on it. Further, you
    are running Windows Millennium, which cannot and does not run every program
    in protected memory space. That being said, if we could narrow down the
    update to one update, and have you try it, perhaps we could troubleshoot the
    problem.

    Please try downloading it directly from the download site, and see if after
    reboot, Millenium still locks up.

    Sincerely,

    Pat Walters [MSFT]

    <MsOsWin@anon.com> wrote in message
    > On Mar 9 2005, windowsupdate successfully installed:
    > Security Update for Windows Me (KB888113) Mar 8 2005
    > Security Update for Windows Me (KB891711) Mar 8 2005
    >
    > Before fully loaded, IE6 and Moz cause 2 types of BSOD or BSON (Blue
    Screen Of
    > Narcolepsy = cycles thru "press any key to continue")
    > Error: 06: 09CF: 00000776F
    > Error: 0D: 0967: 000000E24
    > Error: 0E: 0187: BFF8E648
    > Error: 0D: 09CF: 00000B995
    > Error: 0E: 0187: BFF8E64B
    >
    > To end each of these cycles, I restarted computer.
    > ----
    > Other net apps? Lucomserver (NAV update) and Xnews load fine, but I didn't
    try OE.
    > ----
    >
    > Computer gets to the internet to via LAN router. After disconnecting the
    Ethernet, all net
    > apps successfully loaded and "successfully" made attempts to connect to
    the net
    > (google/tool/bar clicks worked in IE, Moz)
    >
    > During all of this, I saw that kb891711 is in the 3-Finger-Salute list.
    (Ctrl + Alt + Del)
    > and BSON and Win3 style err screens, gave clues:
    > msgrvr32
    > vsmon (vsmon is an exe of ZoneAlarm free)
    > krnl386
    >
    > Now reconnected to Ethernet, I restarted computer, and all net apps ran
    OK, reached
    > the net. (Why now?) But when I clicked an EXE in a folder on the LAN,
    BSONs cycled
    > again. And, the computer wouldn't start without entering BSON cycle.
    >
    > Eventually I caught the computer during a startup with the 3 finger, and
    was able to kill
    > zlclient, nav, sbserv (sbserv shows only during startup), etc from the
    list. Then I
    > uninstalled kb891711 (Control Panel, Add/Remove)
    >
    > Computer ran fine for the rest of the evening.
    >
    > ----- epilogue
    > I used Qfecheck.exe after uninstall. Shows only 3 dll, zipflfd,
    dzip32,dunzip32, probably
    > because I disabled the zip ability of windows find. I think Qfecheck is
    supposed to verify
    > registry entries match file versions of updated files.
    >
    > Googling shows that the equivalent (?) of kb891711 has been updated to w2k
    and XP for
    > a couple months. And since win9x is now "unsupported", I predict this fix
    will never be
    > fixed.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Pat
    There's been a number of issues reported recently with the KB891711 patch -
    as you've probably already found out.

    I hope to have a copy of a wininit.err file resulting after a failed update
    (I've asked the poster to send me it before he clears a %1%2 update error
    archive folder with 32K files in it!<g>)
    I'll pass it on to you after I've had a look, if you want??

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

Security Blue Screen Microsoft Windows