logon password

The password i set up for access to my ME computer can easily be bypassed by
hitting the escape key. How do I make it stick?

Allison wrote:
> The password i set up for access to my ME computer can easily be bypassed by
> hitting the escape key. How do I make it stick?

With crazy glue! That is what you get for security on ME systems, the
system wasn't designed with security in mind. Put a password at the
BIOS level.

John

O, ha ha, I guess i got duped. But i thought i liked ME. Whatever, its what i
have, cant upgrade cause my processor is too slow, so im stuck with it,
unless i go back to 98. Anyway, some other guys were trying to tell me to
change my registry, maybe so, but im not going to do that because they say
so. For some reason, I think you might be the kind of person who might NOT
want to mess with me?! If so, Help me with the bios. Im not a novice. I have
installed a few harddrives in my time and then some... thanks for being funny
and honest!
Allison

"John John" wrote:

> Allison wrote:
> > The password i set up for access to my ME computer can easily be bypassed by
> > hitting the escape key. How do I make it stick?
>
> With crazy glue! That is what you get for security on ME systems, the
> system wasn't designed with security in mind. Put a password at the
> BIOS level.
>
> John

You can change the registry all you want, others will still be able to
press escape and access the pc. Lock it in the BIOS.

John

Allison wrote:

> O, ha ha, I guess i got duped. But i thought i liked ME. Whatever, its what i
> have, cant upgrade cause my processor is too slow, so im stuck with it,
> unless i go back to 98. Anyway, some other guys were trying to tell me to
> change my registry, maybe so, but im not going to do that because they say
> so. For some reason, I think you might be the kind of person who might NOT
> want to mess with me?! If so, Help me with the bios. Im not a novice. I have
> installed a few harddrives in my time and then some... thanks for being funny
> and honest!
> Allison
>
> "John John" wrote:
>

>>Allison wrote:
>>
>>>The password i set up for access to my ME computer can easily be bypassed by
>>>hitting the escape key. How do I make it stick?
>>
>>With crazy glue! That is what you get for security on ME systems, the
>>system wasn't designed with security in mind. Put a password at the
>>BIOS level.
>>
>>John

Sorry, I forgot about the BIOS part. When you boot the computer at the
very beginning you will see a message that will look something like:

"Setup=F2" or "To Enter Setup Press F12" or "System Configuration= xx"

You get the picture, you have to press the key before Windows starts to
load or else it's too late and you have to reboot. Common key to access
the BIOS are F2, F12, Del and Esc. Just look on the screen it should
say. Once in the BIOS look for the password option. Be careful in
there, DON'T change things around you could completely muck up your
computer, if you think you made a mistake just "Exit without saving
changes" and start again. And don't forget the BIOS password because
the you will have to go through hoops the restart the computer.

John

Allison wrote:

> O, ha ha, I guess i got duped. But i thought i liked ME. Whatever, its what i
> have, cant upgrade cause my processor is too slow, so im stuck with it,
> unless i go back to 98. Anyway, some other guys were trying to tell me to
> change my registry, maybe so, but im not going to do that because they say
> so. For some reason, I think you might be the kind of person who might NOT
> want to mess with me?! If so, Help me with the bios. Im not a novice. I have
> installed a few harddrives in my time and then some... thanks for being funny
> and honest!
> Allison
>
> "John John" wrote:
>

>>Allison wrote:
>>
>>>The password i set up for access to my ME computer can easily be bypassed by
>>>hitting the escape key. How do I make it stick?
>>
>>With crazy glue! That is what you get for security on ME systems, the
>>system wasn't designed with security in mind. Put a password at the
>>BIOS level.
>>
>>John

As has already been implied elsewhere on this thread, WinMe does not have a
very secure password system. If you want something a bit more secure without
setting your BIOS password, check-out Doug Knox's "Secure Your Computer"
free utility at the following URL:-
http://www.dougknox.com/security/validated.htm

WARNING!! Be sure to read his recommendation!!

HTH and good luck

Mart

"Allison" <Allison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The password i set up for access to my ME computer can easily be bypassed
> by
> hitting the escape key. How do I make it stick?

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:33:20 GMT,"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> penned
this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> As has already been implied elsewhere on this thread, WinMe does not
> have a very secure password system. If you want something a bit more
> secure without setting your BIOS password, check-out Doug Knox's
> "Secure Your Computer" free utility at the following URL:-
> http://www.dougknox.com/security/validated.htm
>
> WARNING!! Be sure to read his recommendation!!
>
> HTH and good luck
>
> Mart
>

> "Allison" <Allison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The password i set up for access to my ME computer can easily be
>> bypassed by
>> hitting the escape key. How do I make it stick?

SecureIT Pro is a more spoonfed way of getting to the same solution as
Doug's with a few extras, and free:
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~ipex/secureitpro/secureitpro.htm

--
"To know, is to know that you know nothing.
That is the meaning of true knowledge."