Registry Question

job

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

I'm attempting to do some registry clean up. Went to
HKEY_USERS>Default>
Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Internet
Settings>Zone Map>
Domains and found many, many entries I would like to get out
of my system. Apparently the previous owner of this
computer like some weird sites.

Will it cause me any problem if I delete all entries under
Domains? If so, is there a way to delete more than one
entry at a time?

Job says, "Might need an SOS pad to clean this one."

This is not a recommendation that you delete these items and I suggest
you leave them alone.

You can delete them by selecting them all and pressing Delete,
assuming you know what you are doing.

I don't think your assessment of the previous owner is necessarily
correct. Perhaps he used Spybot's Immunize feature to put all those
restricted sites in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap

My key is empty, but then I don't set restricted sites in IE | Tools |
Internet Options | Security tab | Restricted Sites | Sites | Web sites

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Job" <iam@best.slow> wrote:

>I'm attempting to do some registry clean up. Went to
>HKEY_USERS>Default>
>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Internet
>Settings>Zone Map>
>Domains and found many, many entries I would like to get out
>of my system. Apparently the previous owner of this
>computer like some weird sites.
>
>Will it cause me any problem if I delete all entries under
>Domains? If so, is there a way to delete more than one
>entry at a time?

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Those entries are entered manually from IE. When you have IE running, click
the TOOLS menu, Internet Options, Security. Click the Restricted Sites icon
(red circle with the white dash), then click the Sites button. Everything in
the list box is in the registry. You can add and remove any sites that you
want from this panel.

I find it quite helpful to enter the advertising sites that bother the
living daylights out of me, and set the restricted sites options so that
those sites have almost no permissions. The previous owner probably had
their own reasons for restricting those sites. You can remove them without
affecting the system, but if you connect to those sites, there is a
possibility that you may receive unwanted content.

--
Henry

Job wrote in message ...
>I'm attempting to do some registry clean up. Went to
>HKEY_USERS>Default>
>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Internet
>Settings>Zone Map>
>Domains and found many, many entries I would like to get out
>of my system. Apparently the previous owner of this
>computer like some weird sites.
>
>Will it cause me any problem if I delete all entries under
>Domains? If so, is there a way to delete more than one
>entry at a time?
>
>Job says, "Might need an SOS pad to clean this one."

job

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

Alan and Henry,

Thanks for the advice and information. You are right Alan I
owe the previous owner an apology. After hearing you two
plus doing a little Googling I found I did not understand
the "domains" concept at all.

It is probably obvious to you that I know next to nothing
about clearing things from the registry. With that said, I
still want to get comfortable with doing it. There are a
lot of "leftovers" in my registry like IncrediMail that I
would like to purge.

I believe I know how to manually delete things (although
dumb about what to delete <g>) and I have downloaded Toni
Arts' Easy Cleaner. Guess what I need to do now is go
surfing for information on how to, what can and can not be
deleted, etc. In other words get educated in Registry
Clearing 101.

Job says, "Here I go, stomping into another briar patch."

"Job" <iam@best.slow> wrote in message
> I'm attempting to do some registry clean up. Went to
> HKEY_USERS>Default>
> Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Internet
> Settings>Zone Map>
> Domains and found many, many entries I would like to get
out
> of my system. Apparently the previous owner of this
> computer like some weird sites.
>
> Will it cause me any problem if I delete all entries under
> Domains? If so, is there a way to delete more than one
> entry at a time?
>
> Job says, "Might need an SOS pad to clean this one."

http://www.winguides.com/registry/

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> Alan and Henry,
>
> Thanks for the advice and information. You are right Alan I
> owe the previous owner an apology. After hearing you two
> plus doing a little Googling I found I did not understand
> the "domains" concept at all.
>
> It is probably obvious to you that I know next to nothing
> about clearing things from the registry. With that said, I
> still want to get comfortable with doing it. There are a
> lot of "leftovers" in my registry like IncrediMail that I
> would like to purge.
>
> I believe I know how to manually delete things (although
> dumb about what to delete <g>) and I have downloaded Toni
> Arts' Easy Cleaner. Guess what I need to do now is go
> surfing for information on how to, what can and can not be
> deleted, etc. In other words get educated in Registry
> Clearing 101.
>
> Job says, "Here I go, stomping into another briar patch."
>

> "Job" <iam@best.slow> wrote in message
> > I'm attempting to do some registry clean up. Went to
> > HKEY_USERS>Default>
> > Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Internet
> > Settings>Zone Map>
> > Domains and found many, many entries I would like to get
> out
> > of my system. Apparently the previous owner of this
> > computer like some weird sites.
> >
> > Will it cause me any problem if I delete all entries under
> > Domains? If so, is there a way to delete more than one
> > entry at a time?
> >
> > Job says, "Might need an SOS pad to clean this one."

job

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the URL. I will peruse those topics. BTW since
my original post I have read more (forums and books) about
registry cleaners/cleaning. In my reading, some
learned folks believe that (in general) this is unnecessary
and not a worthwhile effort.

Do I understand that you went down to Texas and corrupted
pore ole innocent Heirloom <g>?

"Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote
in message news:OAUujlZKFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> http://www.winguides.com/registry/
>
> --
> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User /
DTS

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol

> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Job" <iam@best.slow> wrote in message
> > Alan and Henry,
> >
> > Thanks for the advice and information. You are right
Alan I
> > owe the previous owner an apology. After hearing you
two
> > plus doing a little Googling I found I did not
understand
> > the "domains" concept at all.
> >
> > It is probably obvious to you that I know next to
nothing
> > about clearing things from the registry. With that
said, I
> > still want to get comfortable with doing it. There are
> > lot of "leftovers" in my registry like IncrediMail that
> > would like to purge.
> >
> > I believe I know how to manually delete things (although
> > dumb about what to delete <g>) and I have downloaded
Toni
> > Arts' Easy Cleaner. Guess what I need to do now is go
> > surfing for information on how to, what can and can not
be
> > deleted, etc. In other words get educated in Registry
> > Clearing 101.
> >
> > Job says, "Here I go, stomping into another briar
patch."

> > "Job" <iam@best.slow> wrote in message
> > > I'm attempting to do some registry clean up. Went to
> > > HKEY_USERS>Default>
> > > Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Internet
> > > Settings>Zone Map>
> > > Domains and found many, many entries I would like to
get
> > out
> > > of my system. Apparently the previous owner of this
> > > computer like some weird sites.
> > >
> > > Will it cause me any problem if I delete all entries
under
> > > Domains? If so, is there a way to delete more than
one
> > > entry at a time?
> > >
> > > Job says, "Might need an SOS pad to clean this one."

<lol> I would say it was poor ole Jack who got corrupted if Heirloom
gave him some of his famous chilli <g>
Joan

Job wrote:
> Hi Jack,

> Do I understand that you went down to Texas and corrupted
> pore ole innocent Heirloom <g>?

I did eagerly eat some of heirloom's chili and gratefully did not "pass
away" with the east Texas wind. I point out he was complaining throughout
the meal that it wasn't hot enough. I could have taken more heat, but not
much.

As to being "corrupted", I think we both are the better for the meeting. I
know I left having greatly enjoyed myself and having learned some new things
from Loon and his most gracious and interesting wife. They are real peers.
I look forward to a return visit to Tyler since I think New England is
rather far even for his 1800 cc Honda hog (which is quite beautiful).

Unhesitatingly, I would characterize heirloom as a "prince among men", and
any who meet him are lucky, indeed, ... although, "pore ole innocent" he is
not! He's quite sharp for an old fart like myself.

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> <lol> I would say it was poor ole Jack who got corrupted if Heirloom
> gave him some of his famous chilli <g>
> Joan
>
> Job wrote:
> > Hi Jack,
>
> > Do I understand that you went down to Texas and corrupted
> > pore ole innocent Heirloom <g>?

<lol> Glad you enjoyed the visit Jack, I would love to be able to meet
the friends I have made in here in person but so far have only met up
with Noel (twice) and Will Denny. I have spoken to Figgs on the phone
when she was over here but didn't get the chance to meet on her
whirlwind tour <g>
I do speak to Mike and Noel quite often on the phone but at least I have
photo's of the others so I know who I'm talking to, don't seem to have
one of you though.
Joan