Dual Channel Ram

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I just built a computer with the following hardware...

ASUS K8N NF3
2 512mb sticks of DDR400 Corsair Value Select memory
AMD 64 3400+
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

I was wondering how you can check to make sure the memory is actually
running in dual channel mode? I used a little program a friend gave me (the
exe is "cpuz.exe"), and it says the memory frequency is at 201 MHz and the
Channels # is Single. I'm I don't know for sure, but that sounds like it's
in single channel mode. I tried two different configurations for the memory
on the MB but got the same results. If anyone has used this program, let me
know what I should be seeing in some of the lines. Also, does anyone have
any other ideas off-hand how to best optimize the system? Thanks a lot!

"Eric" <justsome1@cox.net> wrote:

>I just built a computer with the following hardware...
>ASUS K8N NF3
>2 512mb sticks of DDR400 Corsair Value Select memory
>AMD 64 3400+
>ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
>I was wondering how you can check to make sure the memory is
>actually running in dual channel mode?

As others advised, the indication was in the boot up screen,
like when you see the Energy Star compliant logo. It is in bold
print.

>I used a little program a friend gave me (the
>exe is "cpuz.exe"), and it says the memory frequency is at 201 MHz
>and the Channels # is Single. I'm I don't know for sure, but that
>sounds like it's in single channel mode. I tried two different
>configurations for the memory on the MB but got the same results.

Have you consulted your mainboard manual?

"Eric" <justsome1@cox.net> schreef in bericht
>I just built a computer with the following hardware...
>
> ASUS K8N NF3
> 2 512mb sticks of DDR400 Corsair Value Select memory
> AMD 64 3400+
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
>
> I was wondering how you can check to make sure the memory is actually
> running in dual channel mode? I used a little program a friend gave me
> (the exe is "cpuz.exe"), and it says the memory frequency is at 201 MHz
> and the Channels # is Single. I'm I don't know for sure, but that sounds
> like it's in single channel mode. I tried two different configurations
> for the memory on the MB but got the same results. If anyone has used
> this program, let me know what I should be seeing in some of the lines.
> Also, does anyone have any other ideas off-hand how to best optimize the
> system? Thanks a lot!

hi
do you have a 754 socket ?
this runs only on single channel
the 939 socket runs on dual channel

"Eric" <justsome1@cox.net> wrote in message

" I was wondering how you can check to make sure the memory is actually
running in dual channel mode? "

Socket 754 doesn't support dual-channel operations.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Eric" <justsome1@cox.net> wrote in message
>I just built a computer with the following hardware...
>
> ASUS K8N NF3
> 2 512mb sticks of DDR400 Corsair Value Select memory
> AMD 64 3400+
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
>
> I was wondering how you can check to make sure the memory is actually
> running in dual channel mode? .............

I have a Gigabyte board, with Award bios.
During boot up, it shows up as "Memory Running at Dual Channel" or something
like that.
Maybe it would also show up during the boot up on your Asus board.
MrKoko

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

The ram on my machine also shows as dual channel during boot with a SOYO
board and AMI BIOS.

Wayne

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote:
>"Eric" <justsome1@cox.net> wrote in message

>" I was wondering how you can check to make sure the memory is
>actually running in dual channel mode? "
>
>Socket 754 doesn't support dual-channel operations.

I haven't noticed anyone mention this, so. The original poster probably
shouldn't worry about it, since apparently the performance difference
is minimal in most systems.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> ¦b¶l¥ó news:325m3kF3il8gpU1@individual.net
¤¤¼¶¼g...
> "Eric" <justsome1@cox.net> wrote in message
>
> " I was wondering how you can check to make sure the memory is actually
> running in dual channel mode? "

Google for "cpu-z", after install, click memory tab.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Yeah, I have socket 754, that must be why. Does dual channel actually
improve performance noticably?

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> "Eric" <justsome1@cox.net> wrote in message
>
> " I was wondering how you can check to make sure the memory is actually
> running in dual channel mode? "
>

> Socket 754 doesn't support dual-channel operations.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Did you look at my post, three days ago, immediately above yours
here?