Serious Startup Issue

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 10, 2005 11:11:03 PM

I have a compaq presario laptop running windows me. When I try to boot up,
the message I receive reads, "Not enough extended memory available to run
Windows. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory or
restart your computer." I am not able to run windows in safe mode either.
Is there a way to manually boot up the computer, prompts, etc?
--
Thanks for taking the time.

More about : startup issue

March 10, 2005 11:27:06 PM

When you installed ME you should have been prompted to make an ME Safety
Boot floppy that can be used to boot to a real-mode DOS prompt.

"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a compaq presario laptop running windows me. When I try to boot up,
> the message I receive reads, "Not enough extended memory available to run
> Windows. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory or
> restart your computer." I am not able to run windows in safe mode either.
> Is there a way to manually boot up the computer, prompts, etc?
> --
> Thanks for taking the time.
March 10, 2005 11:57:04 PM

I do not have one. Actually it's not my computer, but I told my friend I
would try to figure out what went wrong. Windows came pre - installed and I
don't have a ME Safety disk. Is there another way? Will it hurt to try and
install a previous version of Windows?

"Jerry" wrote:

> When you installed ME you should have been prompted to make an ME Safety
> Boot floppy that can be used to boot to a real-mode DOS prompt.
>
> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a compaq presario laptop running windows me. When I try to boot up,
> > the message I receive reads, "Not enough extended memory available to run
> > Windows. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory or
> > restart your computer." I am not able to run windows in safe mode either.
> > Is there a way to manually boot up the computer, prompts, etc?
> > --
> > Thanks for taking the time.

March 11, 2005 4:09:51 AM

You can get an ME boot disk at bootdisk.com. You have to create the
boot disk with the file you download from there, just double the file
and follow the instructions.

As for the memory problem see if this can help:

Error Message: Not Enough Extended Memory Available to Run Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311367

If it doesn't fix it post again and someone else will have a kick at the
can.

John

Larry wrote:

> I do not have one. Actually it's not my computer, but I told my friend I
> would try to figure out what went wrong. Windows came pre - installed and I
> don't have a ME Safety disk. Is there another way? Will it hurt to try and
> install a previous version of Windows?
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>

>>When you installed ME you should have been prompted to make an ME Safety
>>Boot floppy that can be used to boot to a real-mode DOS prompt.
>>
>>"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have a compaq presario laptop running windows me. When I try to boot up,
>>>the message I receive reads, "Not enough extended memory available to run
>>>Windows. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory or
>>>restart your computer." I am not able to run windows in safe mode either.
>>>Is there a way to manually boot up the computer, prompts, etc?
>>>--
>>>Thanks for taking the time.

March 11, 2005 4:09:52 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "double the file?"
Bootdisk.com has different files to download, is there one in particular
that I should choose?

"John John" wrote:

> You can get an ME boot disk at bootdisk.com. You have to create the
> boot disk with the file you download from there, just double the file
> and follow the instructions.
>
> As for the memory problem see if this can help:
>
> Error Message: Not Enough Extended Memory Available to Run Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311367
>
> If it doesn't fix it post again and someone else will have a kick at the
> can.
>
> John
>
> Larry wrote:
>
> > I do not have one. Actually it's not my computer, but I told my friend I
> > would try to figure out what went wrong. Windows came pre - installed and I
> > don't have a ME Safety disk. Is there another way? Will it hurt to try and
> > install a previous version of Windows?
> >
> > "Jerry" wrote:
> >

> >>When you installed ME you should have been prompted to make an ME Safety
> >>Boot floppy that can be used to boot to a real-mode DOS prompt.
> >>
> >>"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

March 11, 2005 4:09:53 AM

"double click"

Heather
> I'm not sure what you mean by "double the file?"
> Bootdisk.com has different files to download, is there one in particular
> that I should choose?
>
> "John John" wrote:
>
> > You can get an ME boot disk at bootdisk.com. You have to create the
> > boot disk with the file you download from there, just double the file
> > and follow the instructions.
> >
> > As for the memory problem see if this can help:
> >
> > Error Message: Not Enough Extended Memory Available to Run Windows
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311367
> >
> > If it doesn't fix it post again and someone else will have a kick at the
> > can.
> >
> > John
> >
> > Larry wrote:
> >
> > > I do not have one. Actually it's not my computer, but I told my
friend I
> > > would try to figure out what went wrong. Windows came pre - installed
and I
> > > don't have a ME Safety disk. Is there another way? Will it hurt to
try and
> > > install a previous version of Windows?

Safety

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:44:13 AM

Typo... double click the file... or just execute it. Typing too fast,
or the brains is going faster than the fingers... bedtime I guess.

John

Larry wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by "double the file?"
> Bootdisk.com has different files to download, is there one in particular
> that I should choose?
>
> "John John" wrote:
>

>>You can get an ME boot disk at bootdisk.com. You have to create the
>>boot disk with the file you download from there, just double the file
>>and follow the instructions.
>>
>>As for the memory problem see if this can help:
>>
>>Error Message: Not Enough Extended Memory Available to Run Windows
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311367
>>
>>If it doesn't fix it post again and someone else will have a kick at the
>>can.
>>
>>John
>>
>>Larry wrote:
>>

>>>I do not have one. Actually it's not my computer, but I told my friend I
>>>would try to figure out what went wrong. Windows came pre - installed and I
>>>don't have a ME Safety disk. Is there another way? Will it hurt to try and
>>>install a previous version of Windows?

March 11, 2005 4:44:14 AM

Yeah, I figured that out, but still there are many different versions to
choose from. Also, can it be on a CDR or does it have to be a floppy?

"John John" wrote:

> Typo... double click the file... or just execute it. Typing too fast,
> or the brains is going faster than the fingers... bedtime I guess.
>
> John
>
> Larry wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "double the file?"
> > Bootdisk.com has different files to download, is there one in particular
> > that I should choose?
> >
> > "John John" wrote:
> >

> >>You can get an ME boot disk at bootdisk.com. You have to create the
> >>boot disk with the file you download from there, just double the file
> >>and follow the instructions.
> >>
> >>As for the memory problem see if this can help:
> >>
> >>Error Message: Not Enough Extended Memory Available to Run Windows
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311367
> >>
> >>If it doesn't fix it post again and someone else will have a kick at the
> >>can.
> >>
> >>John

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:46:59 AM

Thanks Heather, I'm getting sloppy in my not so old age... proof readers
are great!

John

Heather wrote:

> "double click"
>
> Heather
> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm not sure what you mean by "double the file?"
>>Bootdisk.com has different files to download, is there one in particular
>>that I should choose?
>>
>>"John John" wrote:
>>

>>>You can get an ME boot disk at bootdisk.com. You have to create the
>>>boot disk with the file you download from there, just double the file
>>>and follow the instructions.
>>>
>>>As for the memory problem see if this can help:
>>>
>>>Error Message: Not Enough Extended Memory Available to Run Windows
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311367
>>>
>>>If it doesn't fix it post again and someone else will have a kick at the
>>>can.
>>>
>>>John

> friend I

> and I

> try and

> Safety

> boot up,

> run

> or

> either.

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:47:00 AM

In the meantime, the booting process is not the problem
according to the error message. It booted. Then it saw other
possible hardware problems. Or there is a problem with
Windows. So we break the problem down into parts. Compaq is
a responsible manufacturer as indicated by the comprehensive
dianostics they provide. Many Compaqs have those diagnostics
on the hard drive. When a white square appears in the upper
right screen corner, then you press F2 or F10 or Delete
(forget exactly which key). Then the computer loads
diagnostics - not windows. No Windows to complicate the
problem. Diagnostics to comprehensively verify hardware
integrity. Most important of those tests will be the memory
diagnostics.

Don't try fixing anything. First get facts. And if you
cannot load diagnostics from the hard disk, then get those
diagnostics from the Compaq web site.

The machine booted just fine. Then when loading other
functions, it found what may be either a hardware problem or a
Windows problem. Break the problem into parts. First verify
the integrity of hardware - without any Windows. That means
you don't need the boot diskette yet.

John John wrote:
> Thanks Heather, I'm getting sloppy in my not so old age... proof readers
> are great!
>
> John
March 11, 2005 4:47:00 AM

Welcome......I had noticed it, but figured he would know what you meant.
Wrong, grin. Proofreading I learned working in law. No errors allowed in
that field, lol.

Get to bed, old guy. (G) You are an hour? later than me.

Cheers....Heather

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Thanks Heather, I'm getting sloppy in my not so old age... proof readers
> are great!
>
> John
>
> Heather wrote:
>
> > "double click"
> >
> > Heather
> > "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I'm not sure what you mean by "double the file?"
> >>Bootdisk.com has different files to download, is there one in particular
> >>that I should choose?

> > friend I

> > and I

> > try and

> > Safety

> > boot up,

> > run

> > or

> > either.

March 11, 2005 4:47:00 AM

Shoot, missed the 2nd question re *which one to download*.....he has an OEM
computer, doesn't he?

Larry....if it was preloaded and you just have a recovery disc, then
download an OEM WinME bootdisk.....(typing this from memory, but it should
be evident on the website).

Heather

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Thanks Heather, I'm getting sloppy in my not so old age... proof readers
> are great!
>
> John
>
> Heather wrote:
>
> > "double click"
> >
> > Heather
> > "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I'm not sure what you mean by "double the file?"
> >>Bootdisk.com has different files to download, is there one in particular
> >>that I should choose?

> > friend I

> > and I

> > try and

> > Safety

> > boot up,

> > run

> > or

> > either.

March 11, 2005 4:47:01 AM

I almost had Windows by pressing F10 then choosing to load default settings,
but it then reverted to the previous memory message. I don't know enough
regarding diagnostics, etc. When I tried on - line compaq support, I found
out that the model number is not available for on - line support. I guess
I'll try to create a start - up disk and then go from there. If you know of
any other resources, I greatly appreciate the advice.

"w_tom" wrote:

> In the meantime, the booting process is not the problem
> according to the error message. It booted. Then it saw other
> possible hardware problems. Or there is a problem with
> Windows. So we break the problem down into parts. Compaq is
> a responsible manufacturer as indicated by the comprehensive
> dianostics they provide. Many Compaqs have those diagnostics
> on the hard drive. When a white square appears in the upper
> right screen corner, then you press F2 or F10 or Delete
> (forget exactly which key). Then the computer loads
> diagnostics - not windows. No Windows to complicate the
> problem. Diagnostics to comprehensively verify hardware
> integrity. Most important of those tests will be the memory
> diagnostics.
>
> Don't try fixing anything. First get facts. And if you
> cannot load diagnostics from the hard disk, then get those
> diagnostics from the Compaq web site.
>
> The machine booted just fine. Then when loading other
> functions, it found what may be either a hardware problem or a
> Windows problem. Break the problem into parts. First verify
> the integrity of hardware - without any Windows. That means
> you don't need the boot diskette yet.
>
> John John wrote:
> > Thanks Heather, I'm getting sloppy in my not so old age... proof readers
> > are great!
> >
> > John

March 11, 2005 4:53:04 AM

There are NOT a lot of different ones to choose from....you HAVE to use the
OEM one for Windows ME. (just emphasizing, not yelling, grin)

I just look at the website and there is only that one choice. It has to go
on a floppy, as far as I know. I have one here for emergencies. Haven't
used it yet tho.

Wait till morning.....a lot of the MVP's are in England and are fast asleep.
They can answer your questions and guide you. I will look and see if I have
anything on bootdisks in my files.....OK, found one by Mike and will copy it
over....

Heather

/quote........
If you don't have a boot floppy you can create a boot floppy (EBD) or start
up disk as follows:
Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Startup Disk and follow the prompts.
If you get asked for the location of a "missing" file point the wizard
towards your Win Me cab files which should be in either the
windows\options\cabs or windows\options\install folder. Alternatively point
to the Win9x folder on the Win Me CD. Specifically look for the file
BASE2.CAB and then point the wizard at the folder containing base2.cab..

If you are unable to create a boot floppy you can download the image of a
Win ME OEM boot disk from www.bootdisk.com. Download to your desktop, double
click to run and follow the prompts to transfer the image to a floppy.
--?
Mike Maltby
/unquote.......

> Yeah, I figured that out, but still there are many different versions to
> choose from. Also, can it be on a CDR or does it have to be a floppy?
>
> "John John" wrote:
>
> > Typo... double click the file... or just execute it. Typing too fast,
> > or the brains is going faster than the fingers... bedtime I guess.
> >
> > John
> >
> > Larry wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure what you mean by "double the file?"
> > > Bootdisk.com has different files to download, is there one in
particular
> > > that I should choose?

Safety

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:00:16 AM

Any of those disks should do; for the time being just pick one and use it.

Then edit system.ini as the MSKB article suggests.

As long as you're there check how much free space C: has.

Rick

Figgsy what you doin'up this time of the AM ?

Heather wrote:
> There are NOT a lot of different ones to choose from....you HAVE to use the
> OEM one for Windows ME. (just emphasizing, not yelling, grin)
>
> I just look at the website and there is only that one choice. It has to go
> on a floppy, as far as I know. I have one here for emergencies. Haven't
> used it yet tho.
>
> Wait till morning.....a lot of the MVP's are in England and are fast asleep.
> They can answer your questions and guide you. I will look and see if I have
> anything on bootdisks in my files.....OK, found one by Mike and will copy it
> over....
>
> Heather
>
> /quote........
> If you don't have a boot floppy you can create a boot floppy (EBD) or start
> up disk as follows:
> Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Startup Disk and follow the prompts.
> If you get asked for the location of a "missing" file point the wizard
> towards your Win Me cab files which should be in either the
> windows\options\cabs or windows\options\install folder. Alternatively point
> to the Win9x folder on the Win Me CD. Specifically look for the file
> BASE2.CAB and then point the wizard at the folder containing base2.cab..
>
> If you are unable to create a boot floppy you can download the image of a
> Win ME OEM boot disk from www.bootdisk.com. Download to your desktop, double
> click to run and follow the prompts to transfer the image to a floppy.
> --?
> Mike Maltby
> /unquote.......
>
> "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Yeah, I figured that out, but still there are many different versions to
>>choose from. Also, can it be on a CDR or does it have to be a floppy?
>>
>>"John John" wrote:
>>

>>>Typo... double click the file... or just execute it. Typing too fast,
>>>or the brains is going faster than the fingers... bedtime I guess.
>>>
>>>John

> particular

> the

> friend I

> installed and I

> try and

> Safety

> boot up,

> to run

> memory or

> either.

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:00:57 AM

Windows Me OEM | Alt1 | Alt2 Anyone of them should do. You can
download more than one and see how different they are. You can even
make one on your ME computer and use it.

John

Larry wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by "double the file?"
> Bootdisk.com has different files to download, is there one in particular
> that I should choose?
>
> "John John" wrote:
>

>>You can get an ME boot disk at bootdisk.com. You have to create the
>>boot disk with the file you download from there, just double the file
>>and follow the instructions.
>>
>>As for the memory problem see if this can help:
>>
>>Error Message: Not Enough Extended Memory Available to Run Windows
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311367
>>
>>If it doesn't fix it post again and someone else will have a kick at the
>>can.
>>
>>John
>>
>>Larry wrote:
>>

>>>I do not have one. Actually it's not my computer, but I told my friend I
>>>would try to figure out what went wrong. Windows came pre - installed and I
>>>don't have a ME Safety disk. Is there another way? Will it hurt to try and
>>>install a previous version of Windows?

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:08:54 AM

Yeah, I better go to bed or I won't be able to stay up late tomorrow
night! Then you know you REALLY are getting old when you fall asleep
after two beers on a Friday night! Plus you get teased about it for at
least a month!

John

Heather wrote:

> Welcome......I had noticed it, but figured he would know what you meant.
> Wrong, grin. Proofreading I learned working in law. No errors allowed in
> that field, lol.
>
> Get to bed, old guy. (G) You are an hour? later than me.
>
> Cheers....Heather
>
> "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks Heather, I'm getting sloppy in my not so old age... proof readers
>>are great!
>>
>>John
>>
>>Heather wrote:
>>

>>>"double click"
>>>
>>>Heather
>>>"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> the

>>>friend I

>>>and I

>>>try and

>>>Safety

>>>boot up,

>>>run

>>>or

>>>either.

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:31:21 AM

Larry - the diagnostics are on the hard drive if that hard
drive was provided by Compaq. No useful diagnostics can be
seen or executed from Windows for exactly the same reasons you
are now suffering. Provide numbers. For example, provide the
Presario model number. There are other sources of Compaq
diagnostics besides Compaq. Also what is the error number
and exact wording of those previous error messages? Those
error numbers provide most significant facts. Don't short your
help with information. Always include the numbers -
especially when you don't have a clue what those numbers mean.

In the meantime, did you see that white square in the upper
right corner between 3 and 30 seconds after power on? That
means diagnostics are waiting to execute - without the
complications and problems of Windows or the boot diskette.

Again, the boot diskette provided little useful
information. Even pressing (was it F10) and booting up DOS
provides useful information. Booting Windows is a worst way
to attempt a solution - especially when using a non-NT type
Windows.

Larry wrote:
> I almost had Windows by pressing F10 then choosing to load default
> settings, but it then reverted to the previous memory message. I
> don't know enough regarding diagnostics, etc. When I tried on -
> line compaq support, I found out that the model number is not
> available for on - line support. I guess I'll try to create a
> start - up disk and then go from there. If you know of any other
> resources, I greatly appreciate the advice.
March 11, 2005 3:19:10 PM

The OEM one is the one to go for, Rick. Historically, at least, it was the
full EBD rather than a bare minimum one. It still doesn't make sense to me
though.

Shane

> Any of those disks should do; for the time being just pick one and use it.
>
> Then edit system.ini as the MSKB article suggests.
>
> As long as you're there check how much free space C: has.
>

> Rick
>
> Figgsy what you doin'up this time of the AM ?
>

> Heather wrote:
> > There are NOT a lot of different ones to choose from....you HAVE to use
the
> > OEM one for Windows ME. (just emphasizing, not yelling, grin)
> >
> > I just look at the website and there is only that one choice. It has to
go
> > on a floppy, as far as I know. I have one here for emergencies.
Haven't
> > used it yet tho.
> >
> > Wait till morning.....a lot of the MVP's are in England and are fast
asleep.
> > They can answer your questions and guide you. I will look and see if I
have
> > anything on bootdisks in my files.....OK, found one by Mike and will
copy it
> > over....
> >
> > Heather
> >
> > /quote........
> > If you don't have a boot floppy you can create a boot floppy (EBD) or
start
> > up disk as follows:
> > Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Startup Disk and follow the
prompts.
> > If you get asked for the location of a "missing" file point the wizard
> > towards your Win Me cab files which should be in either the
> > windows\options\cabs or windows\options\install folder. Alternatively
point
> > to the Win9x folder on the Win Me CD. Specifically look for the file
> > BASE2.CAB and then point the wizard at the folder containing base2.cab..
> >
> > If you are unable to create a boot floppy you can download the image of
> > Win ME OEM boot disk from www.bootdisk.com. Download to your desktop,
double
> > click to run and follow the prompts to transfer the image to a floppy.
> > --?
> > Mike Maltby
> > /unquote.......
> >
> > "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Yeah, I figured that out, but still there are many different versions to
> >>choose from. Also, can it be on a CDR or does it have to be a floppy?

> > particular

> > the

> > friend I

> > installed and I

> > try and

> > Safety

> > boot up,

> > to run

> > memory or

> > either.

March 14, 2005 1:29:03 AM

When I run scandisk after a minimal boot menu, the one message that continues
to pop up is: "The C:\DIR00005\+++++++++++ file or directory is damaged and
is currenlty unusable." I choose to fix it, but it continues to repeatedly
pop up time after time. Does this mean the hard drive is damaged beyond
repair/fixing?

"w_tom" wrote:

> Larry - the diagnostics are on the hard drive if that hard
> drive was provided by Compaq. No useful diagnostics can be
> seen or executed from Windows for exactly the same reasons you
> are now suffering. Provide numbers. For example, provide the
> Presario model number. There are other sources of Compaq
> diagnostics besides Compaq. Also what is the error number
> and exact wording of those previous error messages? Those
> error numbers provide most significant facts. Don't short your
> help with information. Always include the numbers -
> especially when you don't have a clue what those numbers mean.
>
> In the meantime, did you see that white square in the upper
> right corner between 3 and 30 seconds after power on? That
> means diagnostics are waiting to execute - without the
> complications and problems of Windows or the boot diskette.
>
> Again, the boot diskette provided little useful
> information. Even pressing (was it F10) and booting up DOS
> provides useful information. Booting Windows is a worst way
> to attempt a solution - especially when using a non-NT type
> Windows.
>
> Larry wrote:
> > I almost had Windows by pressing F10 then choosing to load default
> > settings, but it then reverted to the previous memory message. I
> > don't know enough regarding diagnostics, etc. When I tried on -
> > line compaq support, I found out that the model number is not
> > available for on - line support. I guess I'll try to create a
> > start - up disk and then go from there. If you know of any other
> > resources, I greatly appreciate the advice.

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:47:35 AM

Scandisk can only report the condition of the file system.
The directory structure is damaged - maybe. Why? We don't
yet know. Without hardware diagnostics, then again, we are
learning nothing useful. For example, this is a FAT
filesystem. That means data can be corrupted even by an
unexpected power loss at the right time. Is this disk problem
due to corrupted data or due to corrupted hardware?
Information that comprehensive hardware diagnostics provide.
If you cannot find the Compaq ones (cannot provide the
Presario model number), then go to the hard drive manufacturer
and get his comprehensive hardware diagnostic. But again,
doing things that are not helpful (running Windows programs)
could complicate the problem.

Using Windows programs to fix things can result in
information with too many complexities. You must break the
problem down into component parts. That means first testing
without Windows programs.

Did you see the white square in the upper right corner when
starting a boot? How did you boot this machine? Did you use
DOS's scandisk to access the FAT32 filesystem? If yes, then
you may have complicated the problem. If you used a scandisk
that does not understand FAT32, then you may destroyed more
directories. A problem when trying to fix something without
first getting necessary facts. Get and execute comprehensive
hardware diagnostics. What is the story of a white square in
the upper right corner?

Larry wrote:
> When I run scandisk after a minimal boot menu, the one message that
> continues to pop up is: "The C:\DIR00005\+++++++++++ file or
> directory is damaged and is currenlty unusable." I choose to fix
> it, but it continues to repeatedly pop up time after time. Does
> this mean the hard drive is damaged beyond repair/fixing?
March 14, 2005 8:57:02 PM

When I pressed F10 I came to BIOS Utility? Anyway, it wouldn't let me push
enter on the hard drive option. When I went to the Compaq site, this was the
closest I came to hard drive diagnostics.
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/ccsearch/iseek_red...

"w_tom" wrote:

> In the meantime, the booting process is not the problem
> according to the error message. It booted. Then it saw other
> possible hardware problems. Or there is a problem with
> Windows. So we break the problem down into parts. Compaq is
> a responsible manufacturer as indicated by the comprehensive
> dianostics they provide. Many Compaqs have those diagnostics
> on the hard drive. When a white square appears in the upper
> right screen corner, then you press F2 or F10 or Delete
> (forget exactly which key). Then the computer loads
> diagnostics - not windows. No Windows to complicate the
> problem. Diagnostics to comprehensively verify hardware
> integrity. Most important of those tests will be the memory
> diagnostics.
>
> Don't try fixing anything. First get facts. And if you
> cannot load diagnostics from the hard disk, then get those
> diagnostics from the Compaq web site.
>
> The machine booted just fine. Then when loading other
> functions, it found what may be either a hardware problem or a
> Windows problem. Break the problem into parts. First verify
> the integrity of hardware - without any Windows. That means
> you don't need the boot diskette yet.
>
> John John wrote:
> > Thanks Heather, I'm getting sloppy in my not so old age... proof readers
> > are great!
> >
> > John

March 14, 2005 9:25:02 PM

Do you think it could be a memory issue? Can RAM go bad?

"w_tom" wrote:

> Scandisk can only report the condition of the file system.
> The directory structure is damaged - maybe. Why? We don't
> yet know. Without hardware diagnostics, then again, we are
> learning nothing useful. For example, this is a FAT
> filesystem. That means data can be corrupted even by an
> unexpected power loss at the right time. Is this disk problem
> due to corrupted data or due to corrupted hardware?
> Information that comprehensive hardware diagnostics provide.
> If you cannot find the Compaq ones (cannot provide the
> Presario model number), then go to the hard drive manufacturer
> and get his comprehensive hardware diagnostic. But again,
> doing things that are not helpful (running Windows programs)
> could complicate the problem.
>
> Using Windows programs to fix things can result in
> information with too many complexities. You must break the
> problem down into component parts. That means first testing
> without Windows programs.
>
> Did you see the white square in the upper right corner when
> starting a boot? How did you boot this machine? Did you use
> DOS's scandisk to access the FAT32 filesystem? If yes, then
> you may have complicated the problem. If you used a scandisk
> that does not understand FAT32, then you may destroyed more
> directories. A problem when trying to fix something without
> first getting necessary facts. Get and execute comprehensive
> hardware diagnostics. What is the story of a white square in
> the upper right corner?
>
> Larry wrote:
> > When I run scandisk after a minimal boot menu, the one message that
> > continues to pop up is: "The C:\DIR00005\+++++++++++ file or
> > directory is damaged and is currenlty unusable." I choose to fix
> > it, but it continues to repeatedly pop up time after time. Does
> > this mean the hard drive is damaged beyond repair/fixing?

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:05:34 AM

It could be a memory issue. It could be a voltage (power
supply) issue. It could be a failing disk drive. One set of
Compaq diagnostics provided for their Windows machines is this
example:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z59116DAA

Other alternative are component manufacturer or third party
diagnostics. Compaq does not make disk drives. To get the
diagnostic unique to that Compaq provided disk drive (if not
running the Compaq comprehensive diagnostics), go to that disk
drive manufacturer's web site to download their hardware
diagnostic (and don't enable any diagnostic option that writes
to the hard drive). For memory, many third party diagnostics
such as Docmem and Memtst86 can test the memory. Use a
Google or Yahoo, et al search to obtain third party
diagnostics for hardware, processor, etc.

What did you use to execute Scandisk? Did you execute from
DOS or from Windows? What is the exact model number of your
Presario? Did you say this is a Windows ME machine? Do you
now have a boot disk from alternative sources such as
bootdisk.com or one created by any other Windows ME or 98
machine? What happens when you only boot DOS? What
specifically are the errors (and more important, the error
numbers) when you cannot boot Windows?

Larry wrote:
> Do you think it could be a memory issue? Can RAM go bad?
March 15, 2005 7:31:07 PM

I was on line last night for a while with an on line technician from HP. I
was using the boot disk, but when we tried to run setup.exe it went straight
to scandisk and discovered numerous errors and misplaced files. They
recommended purchasing the $10 recovery disc and then partitioning and
formatting the hard drive all over again. Not sure what I will do, but I got
my bootdisk from bootdisk.com and it let me see some things, but I didn't
understand all of what I was looking at.
I appreciate all your time and suggestions/support. I wish I knew as much
as you do.

Thanks
"w_tom" wrote:

> It could be a memory issue. It could be a voltage (power
> supply) issue. It could be a failing disk drive. One set of
> Compaq diagnostics provided for their Windows machines is this
> example:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z59116DAA
>
> Other alternative are component manufacturer or third party
> diagnostics. Compaq does not make disk drives. To get the
> diagnostic unique to that Compaq provided disk drive (if not
> running the Compaq comprehensive diagnostics), go to that disk
> drive manufacturer's web site to download their hardware
> diagnostic (and don't enable any diagnostic option that writes
> to the hard drive). For memory, many third party diagnostics
> such as Docmem and Memtst86 can test the memory. Use a
> Google or Yahoo, et al search to obtain third party
> diagnostics for hardware, processor, etc.
>
> What did you use to execute Scandisk? Did you execute from
> DOS or from Windows? What is the exact model number of your
> Presario? Did you say this is a Windows ME machine? Do you
> now have a boot disk from alternative sources such as
> bootdisk.com or one created by any other Windows ME or 98
> machine? What happens when you only boot DOS? What
> specifically are the errors (and more important, the error
> numbers) when you cannot boot Windows?
>
> Larry wrote:
> > Do you think it could be a memory issue? Can RAM go bad?

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:25:17 PM

There were a long list of things to try. So many that I
don't remember them all. Made worse because you don't report
back answers to every question. Every question is of biblical
importance if you want to stop suspecting everything.

Yes, if I were an HP technician, then I too would tell you
to destroy everything (system restore) rather than try to fix
the one bad part. And if that recovery crashes on a hardware
defect (as will probably happen based upon symptoms), well the
tripling or quintupling of labor is on you - and not on the HP
tech.

One suggestion repeated (I suspect) by many is to report
what single stepping on bootup reports. Everything including
DOS can be booted by single stepping. If you did it and do
not report exact details, then the labor and problem
complexity becomes many times more complex. In each case (and
even the HP tech should have had you do it), the single step
is one critical procedure to discover critical facts.

Now in my many posts are questions. You have not answered
one. Go back and answer all those questions. The objective
is to find that potential hardware problem before you lose and
complicate even more. We cannot solve this problem if you
don't answer every question and don't report detailed symptoms
of each test.

One last point. How did I get this knowledge? I recorded
in a log book each thing I tried - writing down every number I
saw. It is the only way to fix this in an organized and
logical manner. At some point, you read back and suddenly
there is the little fact that makes the solution so simple.
You do everything those guys with white lab coats do - except
wear the white coat.

Larry wrote:
> I was on line last night for a while with an on line technician
> from HP. I was using the boot disk, but when we tried to run
> setup.exe it went straight to scandisk and discovered numerous
> errors and misplaced files. They recommended purchasing the $10
> recovery disc and then partitioning and formatting the hard drive
> all over again. Not sure what I will do, but I got my bootdisk
> from bootdisk.com and it let me see some things, but I didn't
> understand all of what I was looking at.
> I appreciate all your time and suggestions/support. I wish I
> knew as much as you do.
March 15, 2005 11:25:18 PM

Is there a way we could communicate through messenger either MSN or Yahoo?
Then maybe I can answer some of those questions with some accuracy. I took a
lot of steps, but I'm not sure exactly what I did.

Larry

"w_tom" wrote:

> There were a long list of things to try. So many that I
> don't remember them all. Made worse because you don't report
> back answers to every question. Every question is of biblical
> importance if you want to stop suspecting everything.
>
> Yes, if I were an HP technician, then I too would tell you
> to destroy everything (system restore) rather than try to fix
> the one bad part. And if that recovery crashes on a hardware
> defect (as will probably happen based upon symptoms), well the
> tripling or quintupling of labor is on you - and not on the HP
> tech.
>
> One suggestion repeated (I suspect) by many is to report
> what single stepping on bootup reports. Everything including
> DOS can be booted by single stepping. If you did it and do
> not report exact details, then the labor and problem
> complexity becomes many times more complex. In each case (and
> even the HP tech should have had you do it), the single step
> is one critical procedure to discover critical facts.
>
> Now in my many posts are questions. You have not answered
> one. Go back and answer all those questions. The objective
> is to find that potential hardware problem before you lose and
> complicate even more. We cannot solve this problem if you
> don't answer every question and don't report detailed symptoms
> of each test.
>
> One last point. How did I get this knowledge? I recorded
> in a log book each thing I tried - writing down every number I
> saw. It is the only way to fix this in an organized and
> logical manner. At some point, you read back and suddenly
> there is the little fact that makes the solution so simple.
> You do everything those guys with white lab coats do - except
> wear the white coat.
>
> Larry wrote:
> > I was on line last night for a while with an on line technician
> > from HP. I was using the boot disk, but when we tried to run
> > setup.exe it went straight to scandisk and discovered numerous
> > errors and misplaced files. They recommended purchasing the $10
> > recovery disc and then partitioning and formatting the hard drive
> > all over again. Not sure what I will do, but I got my bootdisk
> > from bootdisk.com and it let me see some things, but I didn't
> > understand all of what I was looking at.
> > I appreciate all your time and suggestions/support. I wish I
> > knew as much as you do.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:50:25 AM

Stop, get a notebook, and do every one of the previous
suggestions that collects facts. For example, when the right
white square lights in upper right corner, press F10 and
record all the BIOS settings. Change nothing. Just record
the facts. The ones that will be important to post are
booting numbers, disk drive settings, memory size, and things
involving CPU settings.

Next attempt to boot from hard drive by single stepping
through the boot process. I believe this is created by
pressing F8 or F5 before the system tried to read the disk.
Single step through the booting process, record what it does,
and especially both record and post back error messages with
numbers.

Repeat same with the book diskette that was used with the HP
tech. Record some important numbers. For example, when it
starts booting, it may identify which DOS executes. Very
important numbers to record and report back. If you get a DOS
prompt, then enter:
DIR A: /s /p
This will list all files on diskette. Those file names and
dates of those filenames also report which DOS was used to
boot from and therefore which scandisk was being used. Also
very important number to everyone but you. Again, single step
through the boot process to record what does (and does not)
happen. You don't care what is displayed. Everyone but you
needs those facts.

In the meantime, get diagnostics for memory (Memtst86 or
Docmem) and get diagnostics for the disk drive (from that disk
drive manufacturer). Those will load onto and boot from
floppy. Execute those diagnostics. Record critical numbers.
Report back any or no errors from those memory and disk drive
diagnostics. This means you know the manufacturer of that
disk drive.

IOW first establish that you have good hardware. First step
is to collect facts. Once that is accomplished, then and only
then do we move on to sort through the now well expected
software mess on that hard drive.

In the meantime, another critically important answer that
was never provided. What is the exact model number of that
computer?

Above are questions that must be answered here. No way to
provide help by any other means. You must answer each
question. Otherwise you must do maybe 5 times more other "try
this and try that"s. One question that should be answered up
front in the first post - what is the model number? And yes,
you must record all collected facts in notebook pages - many
pages of numbers and exact messages.

To you, which is important. Fixing it or getting facts.
You are no where near to fixing it yet. Recording numbers and
facts is currently the most critical task. Fixing it right
and the first time comes later.

!