Ad-aware 6 Personal

Checking my Add/Remove file and noticed 'Ad-aware 6 Personal'. What is
this?
Thanks, Eileen

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| Checking my Add/Remove file and noticed 'Ad-aware 6 Personal'. What is
| this?
| Thanks, Eileen

Lavasoft Ad-aware6 "was" a very effective non-viral anti malware scanner.

Ad-aware6 has been superceded by Ad-aware SE (free personal version v1.05) and is *highly*
suggested.

Ad-aware SE (free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

--
Dave

I forgot to mention...

Remove Ad-aware6 prior to installing Ad-aware SE.

--
Dave

(doesn't matter - the installer does that for you!)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

>I forgot to mention...
>
> Remove Ad-aware6 prior to installing Ad-aware SE.
>
> --
> Dave

I updated to SE. All the buttons are in a foreign language some of which
have a popup in English, others don't. How do I get the ones who don't have
the popups to change to English?
Eileen

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| I updated to SE. All the buttons are in a foreign language some of which
| have a popup in English, others don't. How do I get the ones who don't have
| the popups to change to English?
| Eileen

You downloaded an English version -- Yes ?

--
Dave

When I downloaded, I saw no choices of language.
Eileen

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| When I downloaded, I saw no choices of language.
| Eileen

>> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>>
|>> I updated to SE. All the buttons are in a foreign language some of
| which
|>> have a popup in English, others don't. How do I get the ones who don't
| have
|>> the popups to change to English?
|>> Eileen
>>
>> You downloaded an English version -- Yes ?
>>
>> --
>> Dave

Try this download site...

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

--
Dave

David,
I downloaded again on the site you gave me. The buttons are still in a
foreign language but most have English popups.... except in General
Settings... they are in a foreign language with no English popups.
Eileen

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| David,
| I downloaded again on the site you gave me. The buttons are still in a
| foreign language but most have English popups.... except in General
| Settings... they are in a foreign language with no English popups.
| Eileen
| | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

It doesn't make sense and I don't understand why.
I gave you a URL for an English version and it should display in English.

--
Dave

If I knew how to capture the screen, I would send you a picture of it.
Perhaps if you would tell me what the seven buttons in General Setting on
the left side and the one on the right bottom say, I could somehow figure
this out.
Eileen

> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | David,
> | I downloaded again on the site you gave me. The buttons are still in a
> | foreign language but most have English popups.... except in General
> | Settings... they are in a foreign language with no English popups.
> | Eileen
> | | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>
> It doesn't make sense and I don't understand why.
> I gave you a URL for an English version and it should display in English.
>

> --
> Dave

In the meantime, I will uninstall the Ad-aware and reinstall it.
Eileen
> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | David,
> | I downloaded again on the site you gave me. The buttons are still in a
> | foreign language but most have English popups.... except in General
> | Settings... they are in a foreign language with no English popups.
> | Eileen
> | | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>
> It doesn't make sense and I don't understand why.
> I gave you a URL for an English version and it should display in English.
>

> --
> Dave

Well, the uninstall and then install didn't fix... still have what looks
like Greek. Thanks for the picture. I went to 'Interface Settings'. In
'language tile' there is two choices, neither of which is English. This is
very frustrating.
Eileen

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> There is a language option - although mine only shows English (Default)
and
> Default, both of which are English <g>
>
> From David's .jpg, select the "Interface" option :-
>
> Mart
>

> "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > Well, the uninstall and then install didn't fix... still have what looks
> > like Greek. Thanks for the picture. I went to 'Interface Settings'.
In
> > 'language tile' there is two choices, neither of which is English.
This
> > is
> > very frustrating.
> > Eileen
> >
> > "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> >> In the meantime, I will uninstall the Ad-aware and reinstall it.
> >> Eileen
> >> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

> > English.

Eileen,
Try the uninstall again and see if there is a preference file left
in the directory. You should be able to delete the directory altogether
after the uninstall.

Art

Eileen wrote:
> Well, the uninstall and then install didn't fix... still have what looks
> like Greek. Thanks for the picture. I went to 'Interface Settings'. In
> 'language tile' there is two choices, neither of which is English. This is
> very frustrating.
> Eileen
>
> "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>In the meantime, I will uninstall the Ad-aware and reinstall it.
>>Eileen
>>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>>
>>>From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

>>>It doesn't make sense and I don't understand why.
>>>I gave you a URL for an English version and it should display in
>
> English.
>

>>>--
>>>Dave

Eilene, was there a prefs.ini file in the directory for Ad-aware 6?

Art

Eileen wrote:
> Well, the uninstall and then install didn't fix... still have what looks
> like Greek. Thanks for the picture. I went to 'Interface Settings'. In
> 'language tile' there is two choices, neither of which is English. This is
> very frustrating.
> Eileen
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>There is a language option - although mine only shows English (Default)
>
> and
>
>>Default, both of which are English <g>
>>
>>From David's .jpg, select the "Interface" option :-
>>
>>Mart
>>

>>"Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>>Well, the uninstall and then install didn't fix... still have what looks
>>>like Greek. Thanks for the picture. I went to 'Interface Settings'.
>
> In
>
>>>'language tile' there is two choices, neither of which is English.
>
> This
>
>>>is
>>>very frustrating.
>>>Eileen
>>>
>>>"Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> in

>>>English.

Art,
I don't know. I deleted Ad-aware6.
Eileen

<Art@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Eilene, was there a prefs.ini file in the directory for Ad-aware 6?
>
> Art
>
> Eileen wrote:
> > Well, the uninstall and then install didn't fix... still have what looks
> > like Greek. Thanks for the picture. I went to 'Interface Settings'.
In
> > 'language tile' there is two choices, neither of which is English.
This is
> > very frustrating.
> > Eileen
> >
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>There is a language option - although mine only shows English (Default)
> >
> > and
> >
> >>Default, both of which are English <g>
> >>
> >>From David's .jpg, select the "Interface" option :-
> >>
> >>Mart
> >>

> >>"Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> > In

> > This

> > in

vinCe

Eileen wrote:

> When I downloaded, I saw no choices of language.
> Eileen

Was there a language choice during the install? I have the SE it but
don't remember.

Vince

Don't know if this will work in your case but has to be worth a try:-
"Description of and Troubleshooting the Marlett TrueType Font"
;134861]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];134861

If the first part of the article doesn't fix it, note and try the section
near the bottom page, referring to the maximum number of fonts and the
suggestion of deleting the ttfcache file.

HTH and good luck

Mart

> Well, the uninstall and then install didn't fix... still have what looks
> like Greek. Thanks for the picture. I went to 'Interface Settings'. In
> 'language tile' there is two choices, neither of which is English. This
> is
> very frustrating.
> Eileen
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> There is a language option - although mine only shows English (Default)
> and
>> Default, both of which are English <g>
>>
>> From David's .jpg, select the "Interface" option :-
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> > Well, the uninstall and then install didn't fix... still have what
>> > looks
>> > like Greek. Thanks for the picture. I went to 'Interface Settings'.
> In
>> > 'language tile' there is two choices, neither of which is English.
> This
>> > is
>> > very frustrating.
>> > Eileen
>> >
>> > "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> in

>> > English.

Alias

Alt+PrintScreen. Then paste it (Ctrl+V) into Paint and save it as a .jpg and
you've got a screenshot.

Alias

"Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote

> If I knew how to capture the screen, I would send you a picture of it.
> Perhaps if you would tell me what the seven buttons in General Setting on
> the left side and the one on the right bottom say, I could somehow figure
> this out.
> Eileen

>> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>>
>> | David,
>> | I downloaded again on the site you gave me. The buttons are still in a
>> | foreign language but most have English popups.... except in General
>> | Settings... they are in a foreign language with no English popups.
>> | Eileen
>>
>> It doesn't make sense and I don't understand why.
>> I gave you a URL for an English version and it should display in English.
>>

>> --
>> Dave

Alias,
Thanks, I did it... now to send the picture.
Eileen

"Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
> Alt+PrintScreen. Then paste it (Ctrl+V) into Paint and save it as a .jpg
and
> you've got a screenshot.
>
> Alias
>
> "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote
>
> > If I knew how to capture the screen, I would send you a picture of it.
> > Perhaps if you would tell me what the seven buttons in General Setting
on
> > the left side and the one on the right bottom say, I could somehow
figure
> > this out.
> > Eileen
> >
> > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
> >> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

> >> It doesn't make sense and I don't understand why.
> >> I gave you a URL for an English version and it should display in
English.

> >> --
> >> Dave

BTW - This also applies to WinMe and the marlett.ttf file is located in
WIN_20.CAB. Use msconfig to extract a fresh copy.

See also: "How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q129/6/05.asp?

HTH and good luck

Mart

> Don't know if this will work in your case but has to be worth a try:-
> "Description of and Troubleshooting the Marlett TrueType Font"
> ;134861]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];134861
>
> If the first part of the article doesn't fix it, note and try the section
> near the bottom page, referring to the maximum number of fonts and the
> suggestion of deleting the ttfcache file.
>
> HTH and good luck
>
> Mart
>

> "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Well, the uninstall and then install didn't fix... still have what looks
>> like Greek. Thanks for the picture. I went to 'Interface Settings'. In
>> 'language tile' there is two choices, neither of which is English. This
>> is
>> very frustrating.
>> Eileen
>>
>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> There is a language option - although mine only shows English (Default)
>> and
>>> Default, both of which are English <g>
>>>
>>> From David's .jpg, select the "Interface" option :-
>>>
>>> Mart
>>>

>>> "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> In
>> This

>> in

Mart,
I couldn't get it to extract.

> BTW - This also applies to WinMe and the marlett.ttf file is located in
> WIN_20.CAB. Use msconfig to extract a fresh copy.
>
> See also: "How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q129/6/05.asp?
>
> HTH and good luck
>
> Mart
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Don't know if this will work in your case but has to be worth a try:-
> > "Description of and Troubleshooting the Marlett TrueType Font"
> > ;134861]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];134861
> >
> > If the first part of the article doesn't fix it, note and try the
section
> > near the bottom page, referring to the maximum number of fonts and the
> > suggestion of deleting the ttfcache file.
> >
> > HTH and good luck
> >
> > Mart
> >

> > "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> >> Well, the uninstall and then install didn't fix... still have what
looks
> >> like Greek. Thanks for the picture. I went to 'Interface Settings'.
In
> >> 'language tile' there is two choices, neither of which is English.
This
> >> is
> >> very frustrating.
> >> Eileen
> >>
> >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> and

Settings'.
> >> In
> >> This

> >> in

You may be heading in the wrong direction.
Your screen shot shows Greek characters (AFAIK)

Without yet knowing what the problem is:
1. It is unlikely to be Marlett, as that doesn't contain Greek.
2. It is unlikely to be an Ad-Aware language pack problem as you don't
mention downloading it and it doesn't contain Greek anyway.
It has Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian,
Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish

I suggest you ask in the Lavasoft forums unless you can pick another
application that also shows Greek. My vague suspicion at this stage is
that you have a Greek .dll file in your System folder, as Ad-Aware
does not seem to have any .dll files itself.

Did you ever solve this problem when you asked in October 2003?

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html