Screen goes black

When I power on, I get this message: DPMS Going to off Mode. Then the screen
goes black. It continues to boot into Win98 then shuts down, all with a
black screen. What causes this? Can I fix it?
I've reinstalled Win98 from the CD, over the top, and the problem persists.
Can anyone help?

Hank

jad

Display Power Management Signaling

turn off power management in bios and/or in the OSD of the monitor

"Family Man" <Hank@astutechoicess.com> wrote in message
> When I power on, I get this message: DPMS Going to off Mode. Then the
screen
> goes black. It continues to boot into Win98 then shuts down, all with a
> black screen. What causes this? Can I fix it?
> I've reinstalled Win98 from the CD, over the top, and the problem
persists.
> Can anyone help?
>
> Hank

Please explain step-by-step how to turn off power management in bios and/or
in the OSD of the monitor.
I appreciate your help.
Also, what could have caused this to have changed? Software conflict?

Hank Ensing

"JAD" <hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com> wrote in message
> Display Power Management Signaling
>
> turn off power management in bios and/or in the OSD of the monitor
>

> "Family Man" <Hank@astutechoicess.com> wrote in message
> > When I power on, I get this message: DPMS Going to off Mode. Then the
> screen
> > goes black. It continues to boot into Win98 then shuts down, all with a
> > black screen. What causes this? Can I fix it?
> > I've reinstalled Win98 from the CD, over the top, and the problem
> persists.
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > Hank

jad

Both would depend on the make of each piece of hardware.

In most bios, the option screen is usually named 'Power Management' Or
Advanced PM
The OSD [On Screen Display] for the monitor is activated by the control
switch for the monitor, may look like a thumbpad for a game controller.

> Please explain step-by-step how to turn off power management in bios
and/or
> in the OSD of the monitor.
> I appreciate your help.
> Also, what could have caused this to have changed? Software conflict?
>
> Hank Ensing
>

> "JAD" <hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com> wrote in message
> > Display Power Management Signaling
> >
> > turn off power management in bios and/or in the OSD of the monitor
> >

> > "Family Man" <Hank@astutechoicess.com> wrote in message
> > > When I power on, I get this message: DPMS Going to off Mode. Then the
> > screen
> > > goes black. It continues to boot into Win98 then shuts down, all with
> > > black screen. What causes this? Can I fix it?
> > > I've reinstalled Win98 from the CD, over the top, and the problem
> > persists.
> > > Can anyone help?
> > >
> > > Hank

See replies inserted below:

> Both would depend on the make of each piece of hardware.
>

> In most bios, the option screen is usually named 'Power Management' Or
> Advanced PM

Hank: Right. Got That! Which function key do I press upon powerup to access
that option screen. I'm a novice, so please spell this out for me?

> The OSD [On Screen Display] for the monitor is activated by the control
> switch for the monitor, may look like a thumbpad for a game controller.

Hank: Thanks. I'll try that also.

jad

again that relies on the system/bios brand.... Delete - F1 - F5 -
F10

are popular

> See replies inserted below:
>
> "JAD" <hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com> wrote in message
> > Both would depend on the make of each piece of hardware.
> >

> > In most bios, the option screen is usually named 'Power
Management' Or
> > Advanced PM
>
> Hank: Right. Got That! Which function key do I press upon powerup to
access
> that option screen. I'm a novice, so please spell this out for me?
>
> > The OSD [On Screen Display] for the monitor is activated by the
control
> > switch for the monitor, may look like a thumbpad for a game
controller.

> Hank: Thanks. I'll try that also.

Thanks, Will try.

Hank

"JAD" <kapasitor@charter.net> wrote in message
> again that relies on the system/bios brand.... Delete - F1 - F5 -
> F10
>
> are popular
>

> "Family Man" <Hank@astutechoicess.com> wrote in message
> > See replies inserted below:
> >
> > "JAD" <hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Both would depend on the make of each piece of hardware.
> > >

> > > In most bios, the option screen is usually named 'Power
> Management' Or
> > > Advanced PM
> >
> > Hank: Right. Got That! Which function key do I press upon powerup to
> access
> > that option screen. I'm a novice, so please spell this out for me?
> >
> > > The OSD [On Screen Display] for the monitor is activated by the
> control
> > > switch for the monitor, may look like a thumbpad for a game
> controller.
> > >

> > Hank: Thanks. I'll try that also.

It's a COMPAQ.

Hank

"JAD" <kapasitor@charter.net> wrote in message
> again that relies on the system/bios brand.... Delete - F1 - F5 -
> F10
>
> are popular
>

> "Family Man" <Hank@astutechoicess.com> wrote in message
> > See replies inserted below:
> >
> > "JAD" <hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Both would depend on the make of each piece of hardware.
> > >

> > > In most bios, the option screen is usually named 'Power
> Management' Or
> > > Advanced PM
> >
> > Hank: Right. Got That! Which function key do I press upon powerup to
> access
> > that option screen. I'm a novice, so please spell this out for me?
> >
> > > The OSD [On Screen Display] for the monitor is activated by the
> control
> > > switch for the monitor, may look like a thumbpad for a game
> controller.
> > >

> > Hank: Thanks. I'll try that also.

jad

F5 and F2 are popular

> It's a COMPAQ.
>
> Hank
>
> "JAD" <kapasitor@charter.net> wrote in message
> > again that relies on the system/bios brand.... Delete - F1 - F5 -
> > F10
> >
> > are popular
> >

> > "Family Man" <Hank@astutechoicess.com> wrote in message
> > > See replies inserted below:
> > >
> > > "JAD" <hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com> wrote in message

> > Management' Or
> > >
> > > Hank: Right. Got That! Which function key do I press upon
powerup to
> > access
> > > that option screen. I'm a novice, so please spell this out for
me?

> > control
> > controller.
> > > >

> > > Hank: Thanks. I'll try that also.

"Family Man" <Hank@astutechoicess.com> wrote in message
> It's a COMPAQ.
>
> Hank
>
> "JAD" <kapasitor@charter.net> wrote in message
> > again that relies on the system/bios brand.... Delete - F1 - F5 -
> > F10
> >
> > are popular
> >

> > "Family Man" <Hank@astutechoicess.com> wrote in message
> > > See replies inserted below:
> > >
> > > "JAD" <hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com> wrote in message

> > Management' Or
> > >
> > > Hank: Right. Got That! Which function key do I press upon powerup to
> > access
> > > that option screen. I'm a novice, so please spell this out for me?

> > control
> > controller.
> > > >

> > > Hank: Thanks. I'll try that also.

Hit F10 when cursor on black screen.
Mike.

The F10 get me into setup. I changed settings but still have the problem.
I will bring the PC down to my office so I can work on it right here.
Thanks.

Hank