Corrupted File Names on Storage Crad

August 17, 2004 7:37:01 PM

I have had an IPAQ 4350 for just over a month. I added a PNY 513M SD
card to it.

My problem is that on three occasions, files names on the card have
become corrupted with the name replaced by non ASCII characters and
the file size often showing 1G or so. I am unable to delete the files
or rename them as I get a bad file name or something similar message.
It seems that the FAT has become corrupted. So far I have been able to
reformat the card and reloaded the backup. The problem up to now has
not occurred after any particular event that I can identify.

The last time it happened followed an attempt to backup the Main RAM
using the backup program onto the card. The backup failed and with an
error at the end (it seemed to complete, but obviously didn't) and I
lost a couple of directories and a few files in the card root. I had
problems reformatting the card this time. The built in IPAQ format
program did nothing and I needed to reformat it from DOS in my PC. I
have been formatting the card in FAT32 up to now, but am trying FAT
this time.

I have tried using a recovery program that I use when I accidentally
delete images from my Digital camera flash card, but that needs the
file type to be specified and does not seem of any use on a card
containing data and programs. I have not found a FAT recovery program
that I can use on the SD card in a USB reader so far.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Barry
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 7:37:02 PM

FWIW here is a web page that volunteers have been sharing their info
about good and bad SD cards. The author believes that SD cards from
Japan seem to be better than cards from elsewhere.
http://freespace.virgin.net/jon.crawford/theproblemlist...
Your mileage may vary...

"BarryS" <ng@ffodos.mailshell.com> wrote in message
news:o l84i0h5nh3q3voges831ss7qbmkftada8@4ax.com...
> I have had an IPAQ 4350 for just over a month. I added a PNY 513M SD
> card to it.
>
> My problem is that on three occasions, files names on the card have
> become corrupted with the name replaced by non ASCII characters and
> the file size often showing 1G or so. I am unable to delete the files
> or rename them as I get a bad file name or something similar message.
> It seems that the FAT has become corrupted. So far I have been able to
> reformat the card and reloaded the backup. The problem up to now has
> not occurred after any particular event that I can identify.
>
> The last time it happened followed an attempt to backup the Main RAM
> using the backup program onto the card. The backup failed and with an
> error at the end (it seemed to complete, but obviously didn't) and I
> lost a couple of directories and a few files in the card root. I had
> problems reformatting the card this time. The built in IPAQ format
> program did nothing and I needed to reformat it from DOS in my PC. I
> have been formatting the card in FAT32 up to now, but am trying FAT
> this time.
>
> I have tried using a recovery program that I use when I accidentally
> delete images from my Digital camera flash card, but that needs the
> file type to be specified and does not seem of any use on a card
> containing data and programs. I have not found a FAT recovery program
> that I can use on the SD card in a USB reader so far.
>
> Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
>
> Barry
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 8:48:09 PM

"BarryS" <ng@ffodos.mailshell.com> wrote in message
news:o l84i0h5nh3q3voges831ss7qbmkftada8@4ax.com...
> I have had an IPAQ 4350 for just over a month. I added a PNY 513M SD
> card to it.
>
> My problem is that on three occasions, files names on the card have
> become corrupted with the name replaced by non ASCII characters and
> the file size often showing 1G or so. I am unable to delete the files
> or rename them as I get a bad file name or something similar message.
> It seems that the FAT has become corrupted. So far I have been able to
> reformat the card and reloaded the backup. The problem up to now has
> not occurred after any particular event that I can identify.
>
> The last time it happened followed an attempt to backup the Main RAM
> using the backup program onto the card. The backup failed and with an
> error at the end (it seemed to complete, but obviously didn't) and I
> lost a couple of directories and a few files in the card root. I had
> problems reformatting the card this time. The built in IPAQ format
> program did nothing and I needed to reformat it from DOS in my PC. I
> have been formatting the card in FAT32 up to now, but am trying FAT
> this time.
>
> I have tried using a recovery program that I use when I accidentally
> delete images from my Digital camera flash card, but that needs the
> file type to be specified and does not seem of any use on a card
> containing data and programs. I have not found a FAT recovery program
> that I can use on the SD card in a USB reader so far.
>
> Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
>
> Barry

You can get memory card errors if writing to the card when the battery gets
low- it takes more power than reading does. This can cause cross-linked
files, failed and incomplete writes.
If you use a memory card reader connected to your PC you should be able to
see the card in Windows (you don't say which OS- there are differences in
the way it works, some versions need drivers) and use Windows disk tools
(like scandisk, defrag, Norton Utilities etc) to look for and repair errors.
August 17, 2004 8:48:10 PM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:48:09 +0100, "AlanS"
<news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>"BarryS" <ng@ffodos.mailshell.com> wrote in message
>news:o l84i0h5nh3q3voges831ss7qbmkftada8@4ax.com...
>> I have had an IPAQ 4350 for just over a month. I added a PNY 513M SD
>> card to it.
>>
>> My problem is that on three occasions, files names on the card have
>> become corrupted with the name replaced by non ASCII characters and
>> the file size often showing 1G or so. I am unable to delete the files
>> or rename them as I get a bad file name or something similar message.
>> It seems that the FAT has become corrupted. So far I have been able to
>> reformat the card and reloaded the backup. The problem up to now has
>> not occurred after any particular event that I can identify.
>>
>> The last time it happened followed an attempt to backup the Main RAM
>> using the backup program onto the card. The backup failed and with an
>> error at the end (it seemed to complete, but obviously didn't) and I
>> lost a couple of directories and a few files in the card root. I had
>> problems reformatting the card this time. The built in IPAQ format
>> program did nothing and I needed to reformat it from DOS in my PC. I
>> have been formatting the card in FAT32 up to now, but am trying FAT
>> this time.
>>
>> I have tried using a recovery program that I use when I accidentally
>> delete images from my Digital camera flash card, but that needs the
>> file type to be specified and does not seem of any use on a card
>> containing data and programs. I have not found a FAT recovery program
>> that I can use on the SD card in a USB reader so far.
>>
>> Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
>>
>> Barry
>
>You can get memory card errors if writing to the card when the battery gets
>low- it takes more power than reading does. This can cause cross-linked
>files, failed and incomplete writes.
>If you use a memory card reader connected to your PC you should be able to
>see the card in Windows (you don't say which OS- there are differences in
>the way it works, some versions need drivers) and use Windows disk tools
>(like scandisk, defrag, Norton Utilities etc) to look for and repair errors.

I am using XP Pro SP1. The last time it happened, the IPAQ was sitting
in the cradle and fully charged.

I must admit I didn't try any of the regular windows utilities, but
was just looking at the directory in System Commander and r-studio
on the PC to access the card, as well as looking at the FAT with
WinHex32. I guess I should have tried the simpler things first!

Having used a Sharp Zaurus (Linux) for a few years, I never had a
problem with corrupted files on CF or SD cards, so am somewhat
surprised that the IPAQ is giving me so many problems.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 12:41:14 AM

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:48:09 +0100, "AlanS"
> <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >"BarryS" <ng@ffodos.mailshell.com> wrote in message
> >news:o l84i0h5nh3q3voges831ss7qbmkftada8@4ax.com...
> >> I have had an IPAQ 4350 for just over a month. I added a PNY 513M SD
> >> card to it.
> >>
> >> My problem is that on three occasions, files names on the card have
> >> become corrupted with the name replaced by non ASCII characters and
> >> the file size often showing 1G or so. I am unable to delete the files
> >> or rename them as I get a bad file name or something similar message.
> >> It seems that the FAT has become corrupted. So far I have been able to
> >> reformat the card and reloaded the backup. The problem up to now has
> >> not occurred after any particular event that I can identify.
> >>
> >> The last time it happened followed an attempt to backup the Main RAM
> >> using the backup program onto the card. The backup failed and with an
> >> error at the end (it seemed to complete, but obviously didn't) and I
> >> lost a couple of directories and a few files in the card root. I had
> >> problems reformatting the card this time. The built in IPAQ format
> >> program did nothing and I needed to reformat it from DOS in my PC. I
> >> have been formatting the card in FAT32 up to now, but am trying FAT
> >> this time.
> >>
> >> I have tried using a recovery program that I use when I accidentally
> >> delete images from my Digital camera flash card, but that needs the
> >> file type to be specified and does not seem of any use on a card
> >> containing data and programs. I have not found a FAT recovery program
> >> that I can use on the SD card in a USB reader so far.
> >>
> >> Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Barry
> >
> >You can get memory card errors if writing to the card when the battery
gets
> >low- it takes more power than reading does. This can cause cross-linked
> >files, failed and incomplete writes.
> >If you use a memory card reader connected to your PC you should be able
> >see the card in Windows (you don't say which OS- there are differences in
> >the way it works, some versions need drivers) and use Windows disk tools
> >(like scandisk, defrag, Norton Utilities etc) to look for and repair
errors.

> I am using XP Pro SP1. The last time it happened, the IPAQ was sitting
> in the cradle and fully charged.

The corruption may have occured prior to this and you didny notice.

> I must admit I didn't try any of the regular windows utilities, but
> was just looking at the directory in System Commander and r-studio
> on the PC to access the card, as well as looking at the FAT with
> WinHex32. I guess I should have tried the simpler things first!
>
> Having used a Sharp Zaurus (Linux) for a few years, I never had a
> problem with corrupted files on CF or SD cards, so am somewhat
> surprised that the IPAQ is giving me so many problems.

It often seems to be writing when the battery is low. You don't necessarily
see any warnings when it happens so you may not realise at the time of any
corruption.
!