Printer sharing

Our wireless network has five computers connected to it. Only one of these
can share a printer that is connected to another computer. The other 4 do
not get that option even though the printers are shared. I do not know much
about this and have tried to find an anwer in the newsgroups but can't find
it.

Can someone help?

Malke

Laura M. Hofstetter wrote:

> Our wireless network has five computers connected to it. Only one of
> these
> can share a printer that is connected to another computer. The other
> 4 do
> not get that option even though the printers are shared. I do not
> know much
> about this and have tried to find an anwer in the newsgroups but
> can't find it.
>
> Can someone help?

The network sharing has nothing to do with whether you are connecting
wirelessly or wired. You've got something set up wrong. Since you
haven't told us anything about your computers - what operating systems,
service pack levels, etc. - I can't be more specific.

The first thing to check is whether you have firewalls on the machines
and if so, whether they are correctly configured. Here is a network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
carefully and it will pinpoint the problem area(s):

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

In article <129B52FB-969A-458A-AB4A-F3B4B34DAF76@microsoft.com>,
"Laura M. Hofstetter" <Laura M. Hofstetter@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
>Our wireless network has five computers connected to it. Only one of these
>can share a printer that is connected to another computer. The other 4 do
>not get that option even though the printers are shared. I do not know much
>about this and have tried to find an anwer in the newsgroups but can't find
>it.
>
>Can someone help?

It's hard to say what's wrong -- we don't know anything about the
computers or how the network is set up.

Make sure that each printer's share name isn't longer than 12
characters. If it is, computers running Windows 95, 98, and Me won't
be able to see it. Use only letters and numbers in the share name.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Thank you. The two pcs that can share printers each run XP sp1, all others
run sp2 so I suspect it has something to do with that. However, when I try
windows update to get the two machines upgraded to sp2, in the middle of the
download it says that access is denied.

Does this give you any clue?

"Malke" wrote:

> Laura M. Hofstetter wrote:
>
> > Our wireless network has five computers connected to it. Only one of
> > these
> > can share a printer that is connected to another computer. The other
> > 4 do
> > not get that option even though the printers are shared. I do not
> > know much
> > about this and have tried to find an anwer in the newsgroups but
> > can't find it.
> >
> > Can someone help?
>
> The network sharing has nothing to do with whether you are connecting
> wirelessly or wired. You've got something set up wrong. Since you
> haven't told us anything about your computers - what operating systems,
> service pack levels, etc. - I can't be more specific.
>
> The first thing to check is whether you have firewalls on the machines
> and if so, whether they are correctly configured. Here is a network
> troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
> carefully and it will pinpoint the problem area(s):
>
> http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Laura M. Hofstetter wrote:

> Thank you. The two pcs that can share printers each run XP sp1, all
> others
> run sp2 so I suspect it has something to do with that. However, when
> I try windows update to get the two machines upgraded to sp2, in the
> middle of the download it says that access is denied.

Again, it sounds like you have a firewall misconfigured. Service Pack 2
automatically enables the Windows Firewall. If you are not running a
third-party firewall, go to the Windows Firewall applet in Control
Panel and enable File & Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you
are using a third-party firewall (and have properly configured it to
allow your lan traffic as Trusted), then turn the Windows Firewall off.
You don't want two firewalls running, and a third-party program will be
better than the WF. All firewalls must be properly configured to allow
lan traffic as Trusted.

Again, go through Mr. Michna's network troubleshooter and it will help
you find the problem setting(s):

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Regarding the SP2 issues:

You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install
Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2

Make sure your computers are ready for SP2:

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2? -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

http://aumha.net - See SP2 forums

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#sp2 - Windows SP2 Information,
Guidelines and Troubleshooting

Order XPSP2 cd - http://tinyurl.com/6g675

SP2 Support Center -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?&pr=windowsxpsp2

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

All 5 pcs run Windows XP home edition...two of them sp1 and the other three
sp2. I tried upgrading the two pcs with sp1 to sp2 but it says access denied
in the middle of the dowload.

I have disabled the firewalls on all 5 pcs. They all have the same
workgroup name. Yet only three out of the five can share printers and files
on the wireless network. The two printers on the network have been set to
sharing and so have the shared documents folders on all pcs. On my pc, I can
see all of the five pcs, but can only access shared files and printers on
three of them, two with sp1 and one (mine) with sp2.

WHen I look in my network places, they all come up but the two which cannot
see our printers or shared documents folders can not be accessed.

I hope this gives you a better idea. I really don't know what to do next.
I have rebooted all of the pcs as well as the router and cable modem and I
still can't access the printers and shared folders on these two pcs.

I hope you can help me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH
Laura
P.S. I don't know much about all this.

Laura M. Hofstetter wrote:

> All 5 pcs run Windows XP home edition...two of them sp1 and the other
> three
> sp2. I tried upgrading the two pcs with sp1 to sp2 but it says access
> denied in the middle of the dowload.
>
> I have disabled the firewalls on all 5 pcs. They all have the same
> workgroup name. Yet only three out of the five can share printers and
> files
> on the wireless network. The two printers on the network have been
> set to
> sharing and so have the shared documents folders on all pcs. On my
> pc, I can see all of the five pcs, but can only access shared files
> and printers on three of them, two with sp1 and one (mine) with sp2.
>
> WHen I look in my network places, they all come up but the two which
> cannot see our printers or shared documents folders can not be
> accessed.
>
> I hope this gives you a better idea. I really don't know what to do
> next. I have rebooted all of the pcs as well as the router and cable
> modem and I still can't access the printers and shared folders on
> these two pcs.

1. Did you go through Hans-Georg Michna's troubleshooter? I gave you the
link twice. What were the results?

2. I have already given you the link regarding the Access is Denied
error while installing Service Pack 2. Did you try this?

3. Create user accounts and passwords that are identical on all five
computers. Now can you share?

4. Are all computers 100% virus and malware-free? If you think so, what
did you do to determine this? Names and versions of programs used,
please, and whether your antivirus definitions are current.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

Thank you so much. I will try all you suggest as soon as I get back to the
office. Yes, I did follow the troubleshooting link but a lot of the language
in there is beyond me so at the end it said the same things you said about
windows firewall etc.

Thank you very much for your help! I'll let you know what happens next.

Laura

"Malke" wrote:

> Laura M. Hofstetter wrote:
>
> > All 5 pcs run Windows XP home edition...two of them sp1 and the other
> > three
> > sp2. I tried upgrading the two pcs with sp1 to sp2 but it says access
> > denied in the middle of the dowload.
> >
> > I have disabled the firewalls on all 5 pcs. They all have the same
> > workgroup name. Yet only three out of the five can share printers and
> > files
> > on the wireless network. The two printers on the network have been
> > set to
> > sharing and so have the shared documents folders on all pcs. On my
> > pc, I can see all of the five pcs, but can only access shared files
> > and printers on three of them, two with sp1 and one (mine) with sp2.
> >
> > WHen I look in my network places, they all come up but the two which
> > cannot see our printers or shared documents folders can not be
> > accessed.
> >
> > I hope this gives you a better idea. I really don't know what to do
> > next. I have rebooted all of the pcs as well as the router and cable
> > modem and I still can't access the printers and shared folders on
> > these two pcs.
> >

> 1. Did you go through Hans-Georg Michna's troubleshooter? I gave you the
> link twice. What were the results?
>
> 2. I have already given you the link regarding the Access is Denied
> error while installing Service Pack 2. Did you try this?
>
> 3. Create user accounts and passwords that are identical on all five
> computers. Now can you share?
>
> 4. Are all computers 100% virus and malware-free? If you think so, what
> did you do to determine this? Names and versions of programs used,
> please, and whether your antivirus definitions are current.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

Laura M. Hofstetter wrote:

> Thank you so much. I will try all you suggest as soon as I get back
> to the
> office. Yes, I did follow the troubleshooting link but a lot of the
> language in there is beyond me so at the end it said the same things
> you said about windows firewall etc.
>
> Thank you very much for your help! I'll let you know what happens
> next.

Laura, if this is beyond you call in a computer professional. There is
no shame in doing this. If this problem is happening at a business, you
would be better off having a pro look at your setup anyway. While this
should not be terribly expensive, it is a cost of doing business and if
you don't have your network and computers set up correctly, your
business could lose far more money than having an onsite pro in will
cost you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell