A Question About Reinstalling Win ME From The Hard Drive

I loaned my PC to my 15 year old nephew for several weeks while I was out of
town. When I returned, I found that he decided to "do surgery" on some of the
system files and utilities.

Specs:

Compaq Presario 5WV232
20gb HDD
750mhz AMD Duron MMX
320mb RAM
8mb AGP NVidia TNT2 graphics card
SoundMax Digital Audio

I have found that he hacked the registry to pieces in areas, the PC crashes
randomly, various errors (while running/startup/shutdown), system restore has
been completely removed (not disabled but deleted entirely), DirectX 9.0c is
buggy, a display driver that is only partly compatable (there appears the be
two drivers installed in Add/Remove & there is many display errors etc.),
wrong audio driver (wavs play but nothing else, even with all codecs
installed), the list goes on and on.

I have went through and extracted many of the missing system files from the
install cabs and reinstalled many programs but I cannot revert the registry
using "scanreg" or "regedit" because the backup files were deleted and the
scanreg "/fix" command line does nothing for the problem. I have also tried
to reinstall the correct drivers. But all of this is rather useless because
the registry entries still keep these changes from being fully effective in
many ways.

I feel that I could possibly salvage things but my main concern is that
System Restore has been completely removed. I don't know exactly what files
are needed from the Cab files in order to extract them to their proper
locations.

In any case, I would like to do a reinstall but my original Windows ME disks
were destroyed by my kid's dogs a while back <g>. I have run through only the
first steps of doing a reinstall from the hard drive (via
c:\windows\options\install\setup.exe) to ensure that all of my Cab files are
present and complete. Everything looks good.

My question is this, does the reinstall from the HD delete everything and
leave you with a clean install of Win ME or does it restore the OS only?
Seeing as how all of my programs still function correctly (except where the
audio and/or display creates conflicts) and for the sake of not having to
start from scratch, can I reinstall ONLY the complete OS from the
Windows\Install folder without wiping out everything on my HD?

If this is possible, are there any special steps needed (for example,
uninstalling WMP 9.0 and IE 6.0)...or if someone could direct me to a
reliable source of info on partial reinstalls from the HD. I have searched
the net on the subject but all I can find is info on complete reinstalls by
formatting and then reinstalling using the original disks.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give. TIA!
54 answers Last reply
More about question reinstalling hard drive

    Maybe you have a System Restore point just before your 15 year old
    nephew did surgery?

    It might be iffy though... several weeks might be a long time for SR. A
    reinstall might be on the horizon.

    John

    John John <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in

    > Maybe you have a System Restore point just before your 15 year old
    > nephew did surgery?
    >
    > It might be iffy though... several weeks might be a long time for SR. A
    > reinstall might be on the horizon.
    >
    > John

    System restore was completely deleted along with all of the files needed to
    do a restore. Even if I still had the restore points, I don't have the system
    restore program EXEs & DLLs to restore it with.

    Thanks anyway.

    My name <MyEmail@nospam.net> wrote in

    > I loaned my PC to my 15 year old nephew for several weeks while I was
    > out of town. When I returned, I found that he decided to "do surgery"
    > on some of the system files and utilities.

    I hope you "did surgery" on him <g>.

    A very useful site ......
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm

    Specific to re-installing WinME ......
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm

    --
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
    safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in

    Doc <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in

    > My name <MyEmail@nospam.net> wrote in
    >
    >> I loaned my PC to my 15 year old nephew for several weeks while I was
    >> out of town. When I returned, I found that he decided to "do surgery"
    >> on some of the system files and utilities.
    >>

    > I hope you "did surgery" on him <g>.
    >
    > A very useful site ......
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm
    >
    > Specific to re-installing WinME ......
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm

    lol...yeah, we completed the brain surgery but I don't believe the procedure
    was a complete success...we may have to go back in. It appeared that the
    "know it all" section of his brain was overloading the "common sense" portion
    resulting in impaired judgement. He says that he was trying to "clean" the
    computer to make space for the tons of mp3s that he has...grrrr...he cleaned
    it all right.

    I appreciate the links to the site. It is full of usefull information on the
    subject. However, I do still have the one question that I hope someone might
    answer, "Does reinstalling from the HD, wipe out the entire contents of the
    HD or does it only reinstall the OS while keeping the program files, etc."?

    Thanks.

    My name <MyEmail@nospam.net> wrote:

    > lol...yeah, we completed the brain surgery but I don't believe the
    > procedure was a complete success...we may have to go back in. It
    > appeared that the "know it all" section of his brain was overloading
    > the "common sense" portion resulting in impaired judgement. He says
    > that he was trying to "clean" the computer to make space for the tons
    > of mp3s that he has...grrrr...he cleaned it all right.
    >
    > I appreciate the links to the site. It is full of usefull information
    > on the subject. However, I do still have the one question that I hope
    > someone might answer, "Does reinstalling from the HD, wipe out the
    > entire contents of the HD or does it only reinstall the OS while
    > keeping the program files, etc."?

    If you are reinstalling Win Me over an existing Win Me system be it using
    setup and the cab files on the hard disk or from a Win Me CD all existing
    data files and installed applications should remain intact. The most
    important things to note if reinstalling Win Me over itself, and I am sure
    it has already been mentioned, is to uninstall IE6 if that has been
    installed and to rename the file wmploc.dll to wmploc.old if Windows Media
    Player 9 has been installed.
    In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    My name wrote:
    > I loaned my PC to my 15 year old nephew for several weeks while I was out of
    > town. When I returned, I found that he decided to "do surgery" on some of the
    > system files and utilities.
    >
    > Specs:
    >
    > Compaq Presario 5WV232
    > 20gb HDD
    > 750mhz AMD Duron MMX
    > 320mb RAM
    > 8mb AGP NVidia TNT2 graphics card
    > SoundMax Digital Audio
    >

    > I have found that he hacked the registry to pieces in areas, the PC crashes
    > randomly, various errors (while running/startup/shutdown), system restore has
    > been completely removed (not disabled but deleted entirely), DirectX 9.0c is
    > buggy, a display driver that is only partly compatable (there appears the be
    > two drivers installed in Add/Remove & there is many display errors etc.),
    > wrong audio driver (wavs play but nothing else, even with all codecs
    > installed), the list goes on and on.
    >
    > I have went through and extracted many of the missing system files from the
    > install cabs and reinstalled many programs but I cannot revert the registry
    > using "scanreg" or "regedit" because the backup files were deleted and the
    > scanreg "/fix" command line does nothing for the problem. I have also tried
    > to reinstall the correct drivers. But all of this is rather useless because
    > the registry entries still keep these changes from being fully effective in
    > many ways.
    >
    > I feel that I could possibly salvage things but my main concern is that
    > System Restore has been completely removed. I don't know exactly what files
    > are needed from the Cab files in order to extract them to their proper
    > locations.
    >
    > In any case, I would like to do a reinstall but my original Windows ME disks
    > were destroyed by my kid's dogs a while back <g>. I have run through only the
    > first steps of doing a reinstall from the hard drive (via
    > c:\windows\options\install\setup.exe) to ensure that all of my Cab files are
    > present and complete. Everything looks good.
    >
    > My question is this, does the reinstall from the HD delete everything and
    > leave you with a clean install of Win ME or does it restore the OS only?
    > Seeing as how all of my programs still function correctly (except where the
    > audio and/or display creates conflicts) and for the sake of not having to
    > start from scratch, can I reinstall ONLY the complete OS from the
    > Windows\Install folder without wiping out everything on my HD?
    >
    > If this is possible, are there any special steps needed (for example,
    > uninstalling WMP 9.0 and IE 6.0)...or if someone could direct me to a
    > reliable source of info on partial reinstalls from the HD. I have searched
    > the net on the subject but all I can find is info on complete reinstalls by
    > formatting and then reinstalling using the original disks.
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate any help you could give. TIA!

    What I would do is to copy that out to a CD or a Zip
    disk, then reinstall from there. You'll need to reformat the
    drive completely. Your nephew is an up and coming world
    class hacker (the bad type). Either that or he's taking
    instructions from the wrong people.

    --
    Lester Stiefel
    In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:46:26 GMT,Lester Stiefel <les7954@verizon.net>
    penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> [...]
    >> sake of not having to start from scratch, can I reinstall ONLY the
    >> complete OS from the Windows\Install folder without wiping out
    >> everything on my HD?
    >>
    >> If this is possible, are there any special steps needed (for example,
    >> uninstalling WMP 9.0 and IE 6.0)...or if someone could direct me to a
    >> reliable source of info on partial reinstalls from the HD. I have
    >> searched the net on the subject but all I can find is info on
    >> complete reinstalls by formatting and then reinstalling using the
    >> original disks.
    >>
    >> I would greatly appreciate any help you could give. TIA!
    >>

    > What I would do is to copy that out to a CD or a Zip
    > disk, then reinstall from there. You'll need to reformat the
    > drive completely. Your nephew is an up and coming world
    > class hacker (the bad type). Either that or he's taking

    This might be more in line with what he's looking for:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
    Credit, of course, to Noel and the late Koldbear.

    --
    "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
    it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."

    Mike

> [...]

    >> sake of not having to start from scratch, can I reinstall ONLY the
    >> complete OS from the Windows\Install folder without wiping out
    >> everything on my HD?
    >>
    >> If this is possible, are there any special steps needed (for example,
    >> uninstalling WMP 9.0 and IE 6.0)...or if someone could direct me to a
    >> reliable source of info on partial reinstalls from the HD. I have
    >> searched the net on the subject but all I can find is info on
    >> complete reinstalls by formatting and then reinstalling using the
    >> original disks.
    >>
    >> I would greatly appreciate any help you could give. TIA!
    >>

    > What I would do is to copy that out to a CD or a Zip
    > disk, then reinstall from there. You'll need to reformat the
    > drive completely. Your nephew is an up and coming world
    > class hacker (the bad type). Either that or he's taking

    And I forgot, I don't think they mentioned on that site to remove WMP9
    first.

    --
    "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
    it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
    Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

    Mike

    Not possible - unless you've only recently installed it.
    The workaround is to delete the WMPLOC.DLL file - which is clearly explained
    (I hope) on the page.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in

    > Not possible - unless you've only recently installed it.
    > The workaround is to delete the WMPLOC.DLL file - which is clearly
    > explained (I hope) on the page.

    I greatly appreciate your site Noel. I feel it will be invaluable when
    restoring this PC.

    If I might ask just a couple of quick questions that I found were not
    answered on the site:

    Does reinstalling ME over itself from the HDD completely erase items such as
    programs files and such?

    Is the registry retained "as is" (as it was before the reinstall), rebuilt to
    appear as it would with a completely fresh install, or are only the OS-
    related entries modified back to factory specs while leaving individual
    program keys and values "as is"?

    In the unlikely event that I needed to completely format the HD and then do a
    complete reinstall, could I do this by copying the entire Windows\Options
    folder to a CD-R and do a fresh install from it (using the EBD and command
    lines as detailed on your site)?

    Would you happen to know the registry key that holds the Windows ME
    activation key right off? If not or if it is too much trouble, it ok. I found
    the registry key that contains it on Google once, I'm sure I can do so again.

    I feel that if I could get these four questions answered, I would have a bit
    of relief as I am always cautious with something as potentially dangerous as
    this. Formatting and then doing a fresh install using the original
    installation CDs is one thing, but reinstalling ME over itself using this
    method worries me a bit.

    I would be very greatful for any answers or advise that you might be able to
    give.

    Cheers!

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:52:10 GMT,"Noel Paton"
    <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> penned this whopper in
    microsoft.public.windowsme.general

    > Not possible - unless you've only recently installed it.
    > The workaround is to delete the WMPLOC.DLL file - which is clearly
    > explained (I hope) on the page.

    Thanks for the clarification, Noel. To be honest I haven't read it in some
    time, sort of fly by the seat of my trousers. It's all on a PDA I carry
    with me.

    --
    "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
    it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
    Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

    Mike

    I'll put the responses where they need to be - against the questions
    asked....

    --

    "My name" <MyEmail@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Not possible - unless you've only recently installed it.
    >> The workaround is to delete the WMPLOC.DLL file - which is clearly
    >> explained (I hope) on the page.
    >>

    > I greatly appreciate your site Noel. I feel it will be invaluable when
    > restoring this PC.

    I hope so - I spent *all* of a weekend building that page!<g>

    > If I might ask just a couple of quick questions that I found were not
    > answered on the site:

    Go ahead - the more questions, the more I learn (and I might even impartsome
    of that knowledge to you - or that's the theory, anyhow!<g>)

    > Does reinstalling ME over itself from the HDD completely erase items such
    > as
    > programs files and such?

    NO!!
    reinstalling from the HD should (with luck and a following wind - how many
    albino chickens have you sacrificed lately?<g>) leave you with a working
    system with the exact same data nd programs installed as you had before -
    only working!

    > Is the registry retained "as is" (as it was before the reinstall), rebuilt
    > appear as it would with a completely fresh install, or are only the OS-
    > related entries modified back to factory specs while leaving individual
    > program keys and values "as is"?

    "Sort of" is the only answer I can give to that - there are inevitable
    changes that will arise - and which are required - and some that won't
    happen (and maybe should), but in the main, you shouldn'ty see anything in
    the regoistry break because fo a reinstall - although as noted on the page,
    there are a number of programs that WILL break.

    > In the unlikely event that I needed to completely format the HD and then
    > do a
    > complete reinstall, could I do this by copying the entire Windows\Options
    > folder to a CD-R and do a fresh install from it (using the EBD and command
    > lines as detailed on your site)?

    That's the theory, yes - but I've never tested it.

    > Would you happen to know the registry key that holds the Windows ME
    > activation key right off? If not or if it is too much trouble, it ok. I
    > found
    > the registry key that contains it on Google once, I'm sure I can do so
    > again.

    There is no WinME 'Activation Key' in the same way that XP has one - what
    you need to record is the 25-character Product Key from the registry - do a
    search for "ProductKey" in REGEDIT, and record all the results yoiu get
    (note the lack of spaces!!)

    > I feel that if I could get these four questions answered, I would have a
    > bit
    > of relief as I am always cautious with something as potentially dangerous
    > as
    > this. Formatting and then doing a fresh install using the original
    > installation CDs is one thing, but reinstalling ME over itself using this
    > method worries me a bit.

    It's a lot less hassle doing an OTT reinstall than a clean reinstall - at
    least you have everything still (hopefully) running at the end, whereas with
    a clean install, you have to reload everything you ever did!!

    That said - if you can, back up ALL your data before the start of the
    process!!!

    > I would be very greatful for any answers or advise that you might be able
    > give.
    >
    > Cheers!

    No Probs - Good Luck!!

    I wish I had a PDA... oh wait, I DO!! it's that thing between my ears!<g>

    --

    > On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:52:10 GMT,"Noel Paton"
    > <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> penned this whopper in
    > microsoft.public.windowsme.general
    >
    >> Not possible - unless you've only recently installed it.
    >> The workaround is to delete the WMPLOC.DLL file - which is clearly
    >> explained (I hope) on the page.
    >>

    > Thanks for the clarification, Noel. To be honest I haven't read it in some
    > time, sort of fly by the seat of my trousers. It's all on a PDA I carry
    > with me.
    >
    > --
    > "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
    > it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
    > Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.
    >
    > Mike

    When it works <rvf>
    Joan

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > I wish I had a PDA... oh wait, I DO!! it's that thing between my ears!<g>

    yeah - I know !!

    It's not working in top gear at the moment - or if it is, then the rest of
    me isn't keeping up!

    still sniffling, and coughing (well, hacking) - I reckon another week of
    hell, and then I should be feeling reasonably human again (at least as much
    as I ever do<g>)

    --

    "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > When it works <rvf>
    > Joan
    >
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> I wish I had a PDA... oh wait, I DO!! it's that thing between my
    >> ears!<g>

    Sorry to read you've got the dreaded lurg. I'm only just managing to get
    rid of mine which has hung around for what seems like weeks. Just make
    sure you're fit for the first week of April although you might though need
    to look out for a certain poster from Biggleswade once the bar's open
    (he's going to shoot me when he reads this <g>).
    --
    Mike

    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    > yeah - I know !!
    >
    > It's not working in top gear at the moment - or if it is, then the
    > rest of me isn't keeping up!
    >
    > still sniffling, and coughing (well, hacking) - I reckon another week
    > of hell, and then I should be feeling reasonably human again (at
    > least as much as I ever do<g>)
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I'll be there - although I've heard no more about it from the princess......

    --

    > Sorry to read you've got the dreaded lurg. I'm only just managing to get
    > rid of mine which has hung around for what seems like weeks. Just make
    > sure you're fit for the first week of April although you might though need
    > to look out for a certain poster from Biggleswade once the bar's open
    > (he's going to shoot me when he reads this <g>).
    > --
    > Mike
    >

    > Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >> yeah - I know !!
    >>
    >> It's not working in top gear at the moment - or if it is, then the
    >> rest of me isn't keeping up!
    >>
    >> still sniffling, and coughing (well, hacking) - I reckon another week
    >> of hell, and then I should be feeling reasonably human again (at
    >> least as much as I ever do<g>)

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > I'll put the responses where they need to be - against the questions
    > asked....

    Thank you for all of your help Noel. That cleared up all of my worries. I
    spent all night writing CDs. I have 90% of my HD on CD now. I am going to
    start the restore shortly. Wish me luck!

    Hope you get feeling better.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    She's probably busy right now and saw a message about being swamped with
    e-mail but I think you should contact either her or Katie as I received
    e-mail confirmation by return. I've no idea as to the program though.
    --
    Mike

    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    > I'll be there - although I've heard no more about it from the
    > princess......
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    This is all just LeCarre spook-speak, right, and I just ignore it for my own
    good ...

    Is your "Biggleswade" a grocery store? Does the princess drink capacino ...

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > She's probably busy right now and saw a message about being swamped with
    > e-mail but I think you should contact either her or Katie as I received
    > e-mail confirmation by return. I've no idea as to the program though.
    > --
    > Mike
    >

    > Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I'll be there - although I've heard no more about it from the
    > > princess......

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Now if the MVP program in the US had a similar arrangement to other
    countries you'd understand. :-) Unlike the US most MVPs worldwide have
    local leads as well as global leads whereas our poor American colleagues
    in the main have just a global lead.

    As for the princess she has been known to wear a tu-tu and sing a fair
    song and can hold her own with a glass. As for the gentleman from
    Biggleswade (it's a place, just like Boston but just a tad smaller) he's
    been known to post in this NG and has even done so today. <g>

    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

    > This is all just LeCarre spook-speak, right, and I just ignore it for
    > my own good ...
    >
    > Is your "Biggleswade" a grocery store? Does the princess drink
    > capacino ...
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    LOL......I would like to see this Princess with the King of the Cranberry
    Bogs in Biggleswade. Maybe some day I Will.

    Groan......Figgs

    > Now if the MVP program in the US had a similar arrangement to other
    > countries you'd understand. :-) Unlike the US most MVPs worldwide have
    > local leads as well as global leads whereas our poor American colleagues
    > in the main have just a global lead.
    >
    > As for the princess she has been known to wear a tu-tu and sing a fair
    > song and can hold her own with a glass. As for the gentleman from
    > Biggleswade (it's a place, just like Boston but just a tad smaller) he's
    > been known to post in this NG and has even done so today. <g>
    > In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
    >
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
    >
    > > This is all just LeCarre spook-speak, right, and I just ignore it for
    > > my own good ...
    > >
    > > Is your "Biggleswade" a grocery store? Does the princess drink
    > > capacino ...

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Ouch. Looks though as if it really is time for bed. :-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Mike

    Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > LOL......I would like to see this Princess with the King of the
    > Cranberry Bogs in Biggleswade. Maybe some day I Will.
    >
    > Groan......Figgs
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    LOL.....couldn't resist that!!

    Get to bed, Sir Michael.......4 am over there!!

    Heather
    > Ouch. Looks though as if it really is time for bed. :-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Mike
    >

    > Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > LOL......I would like to see this Princess with the King of the
    > > Cranberry Bogs in Biggleswade. Maybe some day I Will.
    > >
    > > Groan......Figgs

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Good Luck! (and thanks for the well-wishes!)

    --

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I'll put the responses where they need to be - against the questions
    >> asked....
    >>

    > Thank you for all of your help Noel. That cleared up all of my worries. I
    > spent all night writing CDs. I have 90% of my HD on CD now. I am going to
    > start the restore shortly. Wish me luck!
    >
    > Hope you get feeling better.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    And he can't blame me for keeping him up, we finished talking about 10
    but I did help him solve a problem <g>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:
    > LOL.....couldn't resist that!!
    >
    > Get to bed, Sir Michael.......4 am over there!!

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Now I'm laughing so hard, I can barely type ...
    The fun never stops in your neighborhood, I see.

    > And he can't blame me for keeping him up, we finished talking about 10
    > but I did help him solve a problem <g>
    > Joan
    >
    > Heather wrote:
    > > LOL.....couldn't resist that!!
    > >
    > > Get to bed, Sir Michael.......4 am over there!!

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> You can't not have fun in here, just one big happy family <g>
    Joan

    Jack E Martinelli wrote:
    > Now I'm laughing so hard, I can barely type ...
    > The fun never stops in your neighborhood, I see.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > Good Luck! (and thanks for the well-wishes!)

    First off, thanks for all of your help Noel (and you're welcome, if you are
    reading this).

    I reinstalled ME over itself and it works beautifully now...except for one
    rather large problem.

    I ran the reinstall and all went well. However, when setup restarts the PC in
    order to install the system files, configurations, etc., I get the Compaq
    screen but it immediately switches to a black screen that reads something
    like:

    Windows is preparing to start your new computer.

    Please press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

    It does this repeatedly. It boots fine into safe mode but the only way I can
    get the PC to start normally is to boot using the step-by-step configuration.
    This got WinME to finish installing.

    While running Windows everything is great, no errors what-so-ever, but the
    only way I can boot normally into Windows is by using the step-by-step
    configuration. I have to choose "Yes" to everything except AUTOEXEC.BAT

    I have tried editing AUTOEXEC.BAT, using the original that I had backed up,
    tried deleting it entirely, and tried deleting all of the entries in the file
    itself and then making it "Read-Only", but it always comes back with the
    exact same entries (and effects) as before.

    The only thing that I can see that AUTOEXEC.BAT does is to load certain
    'enviroment variables' such as the boot path, etc. Why, I wonder could this
    file (or associated files/reg entries) be causing so much havoc during the
    system boot?

    I ran through the entire system with anti-spyware & AV programs before the
    reinstall and after, so that couldn't be the problem (3 AV programs - Panda,
    AV, & McAfee, the system's default BIOS AV scan, and 4 different spyware
    programs).

    I made sure that WMP 9.0 & IE6 were uninstalled. I also had to uninstall
    certain programs that kept adding themselves to the startup list after having
    been repeatedly removed (McAfee, AV, TweakUI). After all of that and
    reinstalling 4 times, I am still having this problem.

    The system runs great now but it is rather annoying to spend nearly 10
    minutes every time I have to boot up.

    I have encountered many people on the net with the exact same problem & under
    the exact same conditions but noone seems to know what causes this. Does
    anyone have any ideas?
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <snip>

    For anyone knowledgable on the subject, here are the contents of the
    AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

    SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
    SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
    SET PROMPT=$p$g
    SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    SET CLASSPATH="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    SET QTJAVA="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"

    I'm still confused. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:29:40 GMT,My name <MyEmail@nospam.net> penned this
    whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

    > <snip>
    >
    > For anyone knowledgable on the subject, here are the contents of the
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
    >

    > SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    > SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
    > SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
    > SET PROMPT=$p$g
    > SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    > SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    > SET CLASSPATH="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    > SET QTJAVA="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    >

    > I'm still confused. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.

    Except for the fact that the contents of this entire file should have been
    moved by windows. Try, just for kicks, renaming it to autoexec.old and
    restarting. I'm running on a hunch, so do let me know if it works.

    --
    "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
    it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
    Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

    Mike
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hi Jack,

    Joan helped me track down the source of unwelcome interference on my phone
    by kindly chatting to me as I wandered around the apartment and even out
    into the stairwell to try and find the source which turned out to be the
    battery charger for my Nikon digicam. I've never known it to cause a
    problem before but yesterday it almost made the phone unusable even when
    thirty or more feet away from the charger. Problem exacerbated by it not
    being me who had put the charger on but rather my daughter Bec on a flying
    visit the previous afternoon and the charger was hidden from view.

    Cheers,
    --
    Mike

    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

    > Now I'm laughing so hard, I can barely type ...
    > The fun never stops in your neighborhood, I see.
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Just another example of my God-given propensity for exacerabating Murphy's
    Law in every way possible ...
    I'll speak to Bec about "hidding", RSN.
    And remember this incident at our next "monitor distortion" post.

    In the meantime, send your next pub bill to me really slowly, ... if Joan
    refused to pay again.

    > Hi Jack,
    >
    > Joan helped me track down the source of unwelcome interference on my phone
    > by kindly chatting to me as I wandered around the apartment and even out
    > into the stairwell to try and find the source which turned out to be the
    > battery charger for my Nikon digicam. I've never known it to cause a
    > problem before but yesterday it almost made the phone unusable even when
    > thirty or more feet away from the charger. Problem exacerbated by it not
    > being me who had put the charger on but rather my daughter Bec on a flying
    > visit the previous afternoon and the charger was hidden from view.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Mike
    >

    > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Now I'm laughing so hard, I can barely type ...
    > > The fun never stops in your neighborhood, I see.

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    (that sounds good to me - I'll be back later....)

    --

    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:29:40 GMT,My name <MyEmail@nospam.net> penned this
    > whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general
    >
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> For anyone knowledgable on the subject, here are the contents of the
    >> AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
    >>

    >> SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    >> SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
    >> SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
    >> SET PROMPT=$p$g
    >> SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    >> SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    >> SET CLASSPATH="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    >> SET QTJAVA="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    >>

    >> I'm still confused. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.
    >>

    > Except for the fact that the contents of this entire file should have been
    > moved by windows. Try, just for kicks, renaming it to autoexec.old and
    > restarting. I'm running on a hunch, so do let me know if it works.
    >
    > --
    > "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
    > it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
    > Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.
    >
    > Mike
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

    > Just another example of my God-given propensity for exacerabating
    > Murphy's Law in every way possible ...
    > I'll speak to Bec about "hidding", RSN.
    > And remember this incident at our next "monitor distortion" post.
    >
    > In the meantime, send your next pub bill to me really slowly, ... if
    > Joan refused to pay again.

    I hardly touch the stuff nowadays Jack and will sadly be unable to join
    you over a glass in September although it is my intention to send a
    representative with enough cash to stand a round for my DTS friends and
    colleagues. You might want to remind me of this nearer the time.
    --
    Mike
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    BJ Honeycut <Friday@drag.net.invalid> wrote in

    > Except for the fact that the contents of this entire file should have been
    > moved by windows. Try, just for kicks, renaming it to autoexec.old and
    > restarting. I'm running on a hunch, so do let me know if it works.

    That was the first thing I tried when this started (as mentioned in my
    original post) but no luck. Any other ideas?
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I hope you are not warning me that you are about to join Alex, and that I
    need to fly to London ASAP to see the actual working copy ...

    I'l do it, though, RSN.

    > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    > I hardly touch the stuff nowadays Jack and will sadly be unable to join
    > you over a glass in September although it is my intention to send a
    > representative with enough cash to stand a round for my DTS friends and
    > colleagues. You might want to remind me of this nearer the time.
    > --
    > Mike

  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

    > I hope you are not warning me that you are about to join Alex, and
    > that I need to fly to London ASAP to see the actual working copy ...
    >
    > I'l do it, though, RSN.

    I hope not but I do know that for me a flight of even five hours let alone
    ten is totally out of the question.

    Cheers,

    Mike
  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    This is good news, indeed. Don't leave without seeing me.

    > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I hope you are not warning me that you are about to join Alex, and
    > > that I need to fly to London ASAP to see the actual working copy ...
    > >
    > > I'l do it, though, RSN.
    >
    > I hope not but I do know that for me a flight of even five hours let alone
    > ten is totally out of the question.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Mike

  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:10:46 GMT,My name <MyEmail@nospam.net> penned
    this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

    > BJ Honeycut <Friday@drag.net.invalid> wrote in
    >

    >> Except for the fact that the contents of this entire file should have
    >> been moved by windows. Try, just for kicks, renaming it to
    >> autoexec.old and restarting. I'm running on a hunch, so do let me
    >> know if it works.
    >>

    > That was the first thing I tried when this started (as mentioned in my
    > original post) but no luck. Any other ideas?

    My only other ideas are a little too involved to post, so maybe I should
    hand this off to Mike, Noel or Jack and just admit my ignorance. Sorry I
    couldn't be more helpfull. :(

    --
    "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
    it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
    Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

    Mike
  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hmmmm
    What about CONFIG.SYS??
    does this have any content??
    what?

    --

    > BJ Honeycut <Friday@drag.net.invalid> wrote in
    >

    >> Except for the fact that the contents of this entire file should have
    >> been
    >> moved by windows. Try, just for kicks, renaming it to autoexec.old and
    >> restarting. I'm running on a hunch, so do let me know if it works.
    >>

    > That was the first thing I tried when this started (as mentioned in my
    > original post) but no luck. Any other ideas?

  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > Hmmmm
    > What about CONFIG.SYS??
    > does this have any content??
    > what?

    Sorry for all of the trouble guys. I really appreciate all of the responces.

    Here is what I have found out and some details that I have gained after some
    digging....

    CONFIG.SYS is empty. I tried to extract a new one from the CABs but when I
    restart, I have the same problem & CONFIG.SYS is empty again (even if marked
    Read Only). When looking at the copy of CONFIG.SYS that was on the PC before
    the reinstall, it was empty as well.

    When accessing MSCONFIG, I get the message: "Unable to synchronize the
    enviroment variables into the Windows Registry with the enviroment variables
    in the legacy files AUTOEXEC.BAT and/or CONFIG.SYS". I disabled loading the
    enviroment variables through MSCONFIG but it didn't make a difference.

    Also, any changes to (or deleting of) AUTOEXEC.BAT are reverted/restored
    during the next startup, even if it is marked "Read Only".

    One problem that I have found that may be relevant is that BAT files will not
    run. Whenever I try to run one manually, I get the message that it cannot
    find COMMAND.COM. I can however, run BAT files directly from COMMAND.COM
    using command lines, etc.

    I checked the variables in AUTOEXEC.BAT, MSCONFIG, and the registry. They all
    match & correctly point to COMMAND.COM. I don't understand why the OS still
    believes that it is missing, unless it is because COMMAND.COM cannot run
    AUTOEXEC.BAT at startup (and hasn't since the reinstall) in order to enter
    these variables, which seem to include giving Windows, COMMAND.COM's correct
    location. It is just a guess but seems unlikely because the current location
    in the registry is correct and because I imported a copy of the registry from
    before the reinstall and it didn't make any difference.

    Along with the above problems, I found something very interesting...I
    exported a copy of the registry immediately after the reinstall for safe
    keeping. One thing I noticed in the startup list is the entry:

    OEMRESET.EXE /O

    This file is completely missing from my system and it is not located in any
    of the CAB files. It is supposed to be located in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\ along
    with several other "OEM*.*" files which I do have. I searched the CDs that I
    had burnt every one of my (pre-reinstall) files onto. OEMRESET.EXE is not on
    them either.

    I did a Google search on this file (Microsoft had no entry on this file at
    all). Here is a direct quote from several web sites:

    "OEMCLEANUP - oemreset.exe
    Resets OEM installation settings at bootup."

    I am not sure what the "/O" switch is for but I think that this could very
    well be the problem...but a worse problem remains...I don't know where to get
    this file!! My Windows ME disk was destroyed several years ago.

    I am almost 100% certain that the problem lies in one (or all) of the above
    problems but I am not sure how to correct them. I think a good start would be
    to find a copy of OEMRESET.EXE and either reboot, run it, or reinstall the OS
    one more time so it can be run during the first boot.

    Does anyone have a copy of this file they could share or know where I could
    find it on the net? I am still open to any ideas and am greatful for the
    help.

    cblee1978@REMOVEbellsouth.net
  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:10:46 GMT,My name <MyEmail@nospam.net> penned
    > this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general
    >
    >> BJ Honeycut <Friday@drag.net.invalid> wrote in
    >>

    >>> Except for the fact that the contents of this entire file should have
    >>> been moved by windows. Try, just for kicks, renaming it to
    >>> autoexec.old and restarting. I'm running on a hunch, so do let me
    >>> know if it works.
    >>>

    >> That was the first thing I tried when this started (as mentioned in my
    >> original post) but no luck. Any other ideas?
    >>

    > My only other ideas are a little too involved to post, so maybe I should
    > hand this off to Mike, Noel or Jack and just admit my ignorance. Sorry I
    > couldn't be more helpfull. :(

    That's ok, I appreciate the gesture. I wouldn't call it ignorance given that
    many have had this problem (as found all over the net) but noone has had an
    answer (that I have found).

    My responce to Noel may shed some light on this. I believe that I am very
    close to solving this problem.

    Cheers!
  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Try it without the lines

    SET CLASSPATH="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    SET QTJAVA="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"

    I don't know about the particular variables, but the Java Runtimes will need
    re-installing. Those two lines *are* the only non-standard part of the stock
    ME autoexec.bat. If those files are no longer there you'll get the *Unable
    to synchronise.....* etc message.

    Config.sys should be empty.

    IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS are also necessary to boot. Someone who deletes System
    Restore quite likely also installs a Real Mode DOS hack that also replaces
    these files. The belief in doing the one - ie that SR is a waste of space -
    goes with the belief in doing the other.

    C:\IO.SYS, C:\Command.com, C:\Windows\Command.com and
    C:\Windows\System\regenv32.exe should all be dated 8th June 2000.

    MSDOS.SYS should begin

    [Paths]
    WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    HostWinBootDrv=C

    [Options]
    BootMulti=1
    BootGUI=1
    AutoScan=1
    WinVer=4.90.3000
    ;

    Personally I don't think the OEMRESET file has anything to do with anything.
    I may be wrong. Really those OEM*.* files, along with MSBatch.*, control the
    *lack of user control* installation beloved of the OEMs. Remove them and
    Windows installs like you'd bought it off the shelf rather than it came with
    the computer. Among other things it gets round the BIOS-locking and similar
    restrictions, ie you can install to any computer, not just the one it came
    with.

    Shane

    > <snip>
    >
    > For anyone knowledgable on the subject, here are the contents of the
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
    >

    > SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    > SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
    > SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
    > SET PROMPT=$p$g
    > SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    > SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    > SET CLASSPATH="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    > SET QTJAVA="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    >

    > I'm still confused. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.
  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:40:10 GMT,"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com>
    penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

    > Personally I don't think the OEMRESET file has anything to do with
    > anything. I may be wrong. Really those OEM*.* files, along with
    > MSBatch.*, control the *lack of user control* installation beloved of
    > the OEMs. Remove them and Windows installs like you'd bought it off
    > the shelf rather than it came with the computer. Among other things it
    > gets round the BIOS-locking and similar restrictions, ie you can
    > install to any computer, not just the one it came with.
    >

    > Shane

    I never use those, but here's the lowdown:
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/detail.php?id=1959
    Those should be in the OEM folder of a ME CD. HTH

    --
    "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
    it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
    Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

    Mike
  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Try it without the lines
    >
    > SET CLASSPATH="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    > SET QTJAVA="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"

    I'll give that a shot. I forgot that after a reinstall, the system reverts
    back to Microsoft's JVM. That also explains the problem with LimeWire and the
    Java errors in Firefox.

    > I don't know about the particular variables, but the Java Runtimes will
    > need re-installing. Those two lines *are* the only non-standard part of
    > the stock ME autoexec.bat. If those files are no longer there you'll get
    > the *Unable to synchronise.....* etc message.
    >
    > Config.sys should be empty.
    >
    > IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS are also necessary to boot. Someone who deletes
    > System Restore quite likely also installs a Real Mode DOS hack that also
    > replaces these files. The belief in doing the one - ie that SR is a
    > waste of space - goes with the belief in doing the other.

    IO.SYS & MSDOS.SYS are intact but as for Sys Restore, he only deleted it to
    gain HD space. He didn't know what the files were for (or thought he did but
    was wrong) so I doubt he installed anything in it's place.

    > C:\IO.SYS, C:\Command.com, C:\Windows\Command.com and
    > C:\Windows\System\regenv32.exe should all be dated 8th June 2000.

    They all check out ok.

    > MSDOS.SYS should begin
    >
    > [Paths]
    > WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > HostWinBootDrv=C
    >
    > [Options]
    > BootMulti=1
    > BootGUI=1
    > AutoScan=1
    > WinVer=4.90.3000
    > ;

    MSDOS.SYS looks good also.

    > Personally I don't think the OEMRESET file has anything to do with
    > anything. I may be wrong. Really those OEM*.* files, along with
    > MSBatch.*, control the *lack of user control* installation beloved of
    > the OEMs. Remove them and Windows installs like you'd bought it off the
    > shelf rather than it came with the computer. Among other things it gets
    > round the BIOS-locking and similar restrictions, ie you can install to
    > any computer, not just the one it came with.

    It is my understanding that OEMRESET.EXE runs during the first boot in order
    to finish the install procedure. Do you know where I might be able to obtain
    a copy of the file or obtain more detailed information about it's function?

    > Shane

    Thanks for your help Shane. I will reinstall my Java VMs and edit
    AUTOEXEC.BAT and see how that works out.
  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Try it without the lines
    >>
    >> SET CLASSPATH="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    >> SET QTJAVA="C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"
    >>

    > I'll give that a shot. I forgot that after a reinstall, the system
    > reverts back to Microsoft's JVM. That also explains the problem with
    > LimeWire and the Java errors in Firefox.
    >
    >> I don't know about the particular variables, but the Java Runtimes will
    >> need re-installing. Those two lines *are* the only non-standard part of
    >> the stock ME autoexec.bat. If those files are no longer there you'll
    >> get the *Unable to synchronise.....* etc message.
    >>
    >> Config.sys should be empty.
    >>
    >> IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS are also necessary to boot. Someone who deletes
    >> System Restore quite likely also installs a Real Mode DOS hack that
    >> also replaces these files. The belief in doing the one - ie that SR is
    >> a waste of space - goes with the belief in doing the other.
    >>

    > IO.SYS & MSDOS.SYS are intact but as for Sys Restore, he only deleted it
    > to gain HD space. He didn't know what the files were for (or thought he
    > did but was wrong) so I doubt he installed anything in it's place.
    >
    >> C:\IO.SYS, C:\Command.com, C:\Windows\Command.com and
    >> C:\Windows\System\regenv32.exe should all be dated 8th June 2000.
    >>

    > They all check out ok.
    >
    >> MSDOS.SYS should begin
    >>
    >> [Paths]
    >> WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    >> WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    >> HostWinBootDrv=C
    >>
    >> [Options]
    >> BootMulti=1
    >> BootGUI=1
    >> AutoScan=1
    >> WinVer=4.90.3000
    >> ;
    >>

    > MSDOS.SYS looks good also.
    >
    >> Personally I don't think the OEMRESET file has anything to do with
    >> anything. I may be wrong. Really those OEM*.* files, along with
    >> MSBatch.*, control the *lack of user control* installation beloved of
    >> the OEMs. Remove them and Windows installs like you'd bought it off the
    >> shelf rather than it came with the computer. Among other things it gets
    >> round the BIOS-locking and similar restrictions, ie you can install to
    >> any computer, not just the one it came with.
    >>

    > It is my understanding that OEMRESET.EXE runs during the first boot in
    > order to finish the install procedure. Do you know where I might be able
    > to obtain a copy of the file or obtain more detailed information about
    > it's function?
    >

    >> Shane
    >

    > Thanks for your help Shane. I will reinstall my Java VMs and edit
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT and see how that works out.

    I managed to regain control of COMMAND.COM. I also edited AUTOEXEC.BAT and
    reinstalled Sun JVM but no luck with either.

    Hmmm...
  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I suspect the OEMRESET.exe file maybe functioning like a winini.ini file.
    Try renaming each, if both exist, to "file_name".old and rebooting to test.

    > On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:40:10 GMT,"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com>
    > penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general
    >
    > > Personally I don't think the OEMRESET file has anything to do with
    > > anything. I may be wrong. Really those OEM*.* files, along with
    > > MSBatch.*, control the *lack of user control* installation beloved of
    > > the OEMs. Remove them and Windows installs like you'd bought it off
    > > the shelf rather than it came with the computer. Among other things it
    > > gets round the BIOS-locking and similar restrictions, ie you can
    > > install to any computer, not just the one it came with.
    > >

    > > Shane
    > >

    > I never use those, but here's the lowdown:
    > http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/detail.php?id=1959
    > Those should be in the OEM folder of a ME CD. HTH
    >
    > --
    > "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
    > it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
    > Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.
    >
    > Mike
  49. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in

    > I suspect the OEMRESET.exe file maybe functioning like a winini.ini file.
    > Try renaming each, if both exist, to "file_name".old and rebooting to test.

    That is the problem, OEMRESET.EXE is missing and is not located in the CABS
    either. Do you know where I could get a copy of the file?

    I can't find a WININI.INI file either. Am I supposed to have one? I don't
    believe I did before the reinstall but I'll have to check.

Windows