kb891711 and netgear wg511

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 13, 2005 2:01:02 AM

Installed the kb891711 update on my laptop running winme. Really bad system
instability, so I backed everything up and proceeded to factory reinstall my
o/s.
I uninstalled all of the unwanted compaq utilities, and installed all winme
updates from microsoft site.
As soon I went to install driver v.3.0 for my netgear wireless card, system
crashed.
In order to get the system to reboot, I would have to stop the kb891711
process in the task manager before the wireless card driver app started.
I've had to uninstall the kb891711 for now... Waiting for a working
replacement!
Seems a lot of people are having trouble with the kb891711 update.

More about : kb891711 netgear wg511

March 13, 2005 10:57:11 AM

In news:2E3D0E1D-956E-4203-8DC8-3817919BB014@microsoft.com,
nvstewar <nvstewar@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Installed the kb891711 update on my laptop running winme. Really bad
> system instability, so I backed everything up and proceeded to
> factory reinstall my o/s.
> I uninstalled all of the unwanted compaq utilities, and installed all
> winme updates from microsoft site.
> As soon I went to install driver v.3.0 for my netgear wireless card,
> system crashed.
> In order to get the system to reboot, I would have to stop the
> kb891711 process in the task manager before the wireless card driver
> app started. I've had to uninstall the kb891711 for now... Waiting
> for a working replacement!
> Seems a lot of people are having trouble with the kb891711 update.

Right now that's seemingly the better solution than some of the other
solutions. However, have you read clearly - and understood - the point of
KB891711? The protection offered by it is important to have but at the cost
of system stability? In one forum you'll find where I called Microsoft on
behalf of one of the posters here and the person on the phone denied even
the existance of the download (only available from the actual Windows Update
site and not as a single download) and then told me that it didn't run as an
executable. I gave that avenue of hope for information up pretty quickly.
Some other poster informed me that I probably got a mail clerk. :)

Anyhow... This is what it's for I suppose, or so it seems we keep finding
out:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...

Galen