strange happenings ... XP hangs

I'll try to keep too many details to a minimum.

Was having problems when I switched an AMD850MHz board to a new case
with two old hard drives. Original settup on that board had 256MB +
128MB PC100 memory. Added one 64MB from older board. Post shows 448MB
and AMD 850 CPU. Would not boot at first, tried XP Pro repair ..went
thru many iterations and when finally booted up ..Netscape would work,
but IE crashed as soon as I entered anything on location bar or
bookmark...screen freezes.

Finally decided to start from scratch, reformatted the 9GB HD, loaded
new XP Pro.

Hung at very end at "welcome to Windows" screen. Rebooted a few times,
sometimes screen went half blank and hung. There are no other programs
loaded to the new install. Finally came up, opened IE ..home screen
opened, typed yahoo.com on location bar and at "enter", screen froze.

I am thinking a hardware problem, but I must be thick, because I can't
think of any bios setting that could cause this behavior. I swapped the
three memory chips in the three slots ... didn't help..is it possible
that one of the memory cards is incompatible?

TIA
Stew Corman

jad

guess

memory hiccup, remove all but one of the modules.

> I'll try to keep too many details to a minimum.
>
> Was having problems when I switched an AMD850MHz board to a new case
> with two old hard drives. Original settup on that board had 256MB +
> 128MB PC100 memory. Added one 64MB from older board. Post shows
448MB
> and AMD 850 CPU. Would not boot at first, tried XP Pro repair ..went
> thru many iterations and when finally booted up ..Netscape would
work,
> but IE crashed as soon as I entered anything on location bar or
> bookmark...screen freezes.
>
> Finally decided to start from scratch, reformatted the 9GB HD,
loaded
> new XP Pro.
>
> Hung at very end at "welcome to Windows" screen. Rebooted a few
times,
> sometimes screen went half blank and hung. There are no other
programs
> loaded to the new install. Finally came up, opened IE ..home screen
> opened, typed yahoo.com on location bar and at "enter", screen
froze.

> I am thinking a hardware problem, but I must be thick, because I
can't
> think of any bios setting that could cause this behavior. I swapped
the
> three memory chips in the three slots ... didn't help..is it
possible
> that one of the memory cards is incompatible?
>
> TIA
> Stew Corman

tried removing the smaller one (64MB) first, then I saw your post and
removed the second (128MB) leaving only the 256MB ..hung screen on
bootup

all of these modules had worked before

Stew

jad

trade modules, start with the 64,( hopefully XP wont balk and not
allow a boot)...then the 128 leaving the 256 out o the loop. also
memory timings, set to slowest and work your way up.

<scorman@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> tried removing the smaller one (64MB) first, then I saw your post
and
> removed the second (128MB) leaving only the 256MB ..hung screen on
> bootup
>
> all of these modules had worked before
>
> Stew

tried all combos and slots for three memory cards ..nothing +
at your suggestion, went back to bios to check memory timings
most of those settings were incomprehensible to me
choose "safe defaults" and it worked better
I was able to open Win Explorer, install Foxfire, run it
but trying IE, it hung again
back to bios ..set global "optimum defaults" ...still running Foxfire

I presume that my problem is a bios setting somewhere, just not sure
which

Thanks for your suggestions so far.
Stew

jad

hmmm

ok then maybe it is java related or html. all other programs run?
Media or graphics software runs? Try a 'r' repair install over XP. Did
you 'reset configuration data' in the bios after the hardware changes?

> tried all combos and slots for three memory cards ..nothing +
> at your suggestion, went back to bios to check memory timings
> most of those settings were incomprehensible to me
> choose "safe defaults" and it worked better
> I was able to open Win Explorer, install Foxfire, run it
> but trying IE, it hung again
> back to bios ..set global "optimum defaults" ...still running
Foxfire

> I presume that my problem is a bios setting somewhere, just not sure
> which
>
> Thanks for your suggestions so far.
> Stew

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

<scorman@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> choose "safe defaults" and it worked better
> I was able to open Win Explorer, install Foxfire, run it
> but trying IE, it hung again
> back to bios ..set global "optimum defaults" ...still running Foxfire
>
> I presume that my problem is a bios setting somewhere, just not sure
> which
>
> Thanks for your suggestions so far.
> Stew

It is okay to set the default and let it go. For me I go through the
settings and check local time, floppy etc. I then turn off any peripherals
that I am not using i.e. parallel ports, serial ports, game ports,
VGA/AGP etc. etc.