inoperative "task manager"

my os is xp professional and i cannot get task manager to
work. I right click on the lower browser bar and click on
task manager and nothing happens. I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and
nothing is displayed onscreen.

I canot find CPU usage anywhere when I use "search".

Thank you.

Merv Kopp

Line 51 -- right hand side

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

"merv kopp" <mervkopp@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> my os is xp professional and i cannot get task manager to
> work. I right click on the lower browser bar and click on
> task manager and nothing happens. I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and
> nothing is displayed onscreen.
>
> I canot find CPU usage anywhere when I use "search".
>
> Thank you.
>
> Merv Kopp

Actually, Michael, if that were the fix, the user would be getting an error message saying that Task Manager was disabled by the Administrator.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Michael D. Alligood" <michael@noemail.com> wrote in message news:uKH3Q4neEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> Line 51 -- right hand side
>
> --
> Best of luck!
>
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI
>

> "merv kopp" <mervkopp@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> my os is xp professional and i cannot get task manager to
>> work. I right click on the lower browser bar and click on
>> task manager and nothing happens. I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and
>> nothing is displayed onscreen.
>>
>> I canot find CPU usage anywhere when I use "search".
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Merv Kopp

Merv,

This is indicative of some type of malware, either a virus/trojan or spyware. Update your antivirus software and rescan your system, preferably from Safe Mode. Then download and use AdAware www.lavasoftusa.com and/or Spybot Search and Destroy www.safer-networking.org. For either of the last two programs, ensure you check for updated definitions, even though you just downloaded the program.

Possible viurs causes (or variants thereof)

W32.Klez
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

W32.Yaha
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

W32.Spybot.Worm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

For additional help see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Create Emergency Copies of Critical XP System Utilities. This small VB Program will create backup, usable copies of Task Manger, Regedit and MSConfig (named Copy_of_Taskmgr.exe, Copy_of_Regedit.com and Copy_of_MSConfig.exe) in a new folder C:\EmergencyUtil. Many virus programs will intercept these programs, based on their original file name. The modified file names, allow them to be run. Open Windows Explorer to C:\EmergencyUtil and double click the application you need. The next revision will allow you to browse for the folder you want to place the backups in.
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"merv kopp" <mervkopp@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:03e201c47a74$458fbf20$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> my os is xp professional and i cannot get task manager to
> work. I right click on the lower browser bar and click on
> task manager and nothing happens. I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and
> nothing is displayed onscreen.
>
> I canot find CPU usage anywhere when I use "search".
>
> Thank you.
>
> Merv Kopp

ChAiRMaNWoW

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I have exactly the same problem, except my OS is windows 2000 professional. I think it may be because some viruses/spyware are stopping it from opening. I know how to solve your problem, but not mine!

Go to this page, read what it says, and voila! you have no more problems.

www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

Now, will somebody tell me how to fix MY problem??!?!?!

Please??!?!?!?