MSVCIRT.DLL & MSVCRT.DLL

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 14, 2005 7:36:53 PM

Hi, after the installation of Office 2000, when I run Microsoft FrontPage
for the first time from the Start->Program menu, I got the error message:
"A device attached to the system is not functioning" and "The MSVCIRT.DLL
file is linked to missing export MSVCRT.DLL-??_U@YAPAXI@Z". The other Office
programs run well without any problem. I also got the same error message
when I run the Norton Optimization Wizard of Norton Utilities, while it has
been run normally once before. Could any one help me in solving this
problem? Thanks.

More about : msvcirt dll msvcrt dll

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:36:54 PM

It appears that the version of msvcrt.dll on your system is not the
version expected by msvcirt.dll.

Using Windows Explorer, locate all copies of both msvcirt.dll and
msvcrt.dll and note their locations and versions. To determine version,
right click on the file, select Properties and check the version tab. You
should have a copy of each of these files in the Windows\System folder and
I would expect their versions to both be version 6.1.8637.0 with a last
modified date of 8 June 2000. Now rename all other copies, especially any
located in the Program Files folders to msvcrt.old and msvcirt.old and
reboot.

Now try opening FrontPage.

Please post back your findings.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

bch <beechon@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, after the installation of Office 2000, when I run Microsoft
> FrontPage for the first time from the Start->Program menu, I got the
> error message: "A device attached to the system is not functioning"
> and "The MSVCIRT.DLL file is linked to missing export
> MSVCRT.DLL-??_U@YAPAXI@Z". The other Office programs run well without
> any problem. I also got the same error message when I run the Norton
> Optimization Wizard of Norton Utilities, while it has been run
> normally once before. Could any one help me in solving this problem?
> Thanks.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:17:05 AM

Thanks! Here are what I found:
msvcirt.dll -- only one copy in the Windows\System folder, with the version
of 6.1.8637.0, last modified date of 8 June 2000. No other copy was found.
msvcrt.dll -- one copy in the Windows\System folder, with the version of
6.0.8797.0, last modified date of 6 Apr 2000; three other copies in the
sub-folders of Program Files\Ahead, with the version of 6.1.8924.0, last
modified date of 9 Oct 2002.
Should I rename the three copies of msvcrt.dll in the Program Files
sub-folders to msvcrt.old? Will doing so affect the program of Ahead Nero?

news:o D7uk0IKFHA.2764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> It appears that the version of msvcrt.dll on your system is not the
> version expected by msvcirt.dll.
>
> Using Windows Explorer, locate all copies of both msvcirt.dll and
> msvcrt.dll and note their locations and versions. To determine version,
> right click on the file, select Properties and check the version tab. You
> should have a copy of each of these files in the Windows\System folder and
> I would expect their versions to both be version 6.1.8637.0 with a last
> modified date of 8 June 2000. Now rename all other copies, especially any
> located in the Program Files folders to msvcrt.old and msvcirt.old and
> reboot.
>
> Now try opening FrontPage.
>
> Please post back your findings.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> bch <beechon@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, after the installation of Office 2000, when I run Microsoft
> > FrontPage for the first time from the Start->Program menu, I got the
> > error message: "A device attached to the system is not functioning"
> > and "The MSVCIRT.DLL file is linked to missing export
> > MSVCRT.DLL-??_U@YAPAXI@Z". The other Office programs run well without
> > any problem. I also got the same error message when I run the Norton
> > Optimization Wizard of Norton Utilities, while it has been run
> > normally once before. Could any one help me in solving this problem?
> > Thanks.

March 15, 2005 1:17:06 AM

As I said earlier, rename all copies of these files other than those in
the Windows\System folder. The copies in the Ahead folder are a later
version and for some reason one was already loaded in memory when you went
to use FrontPage and this is what gave you your problem. Only time will
tell whether Nero or InCD or whatever specifically requires the newer
version or msvcrt.dll or not. I can't really help with that, whilst I have
Nero installed here it is on boxes running XP and that uses a totally
different set of file versions.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

bch <beechon@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks! Here are what I found:
> msvcirt.dll -- only one copy in the Windows\System folder, with the
> version of 6.1.8637.0, last modified date of 8 June 2000. No other
> copy was found. msvcrt.dll -- one copy in the Windows\System folder,
> with the version of
> 6.0.8797.0, last modified date of 6 Apr 2000; three other copies in
> the sub-folders of Program Files\Ahead, with the version of
> 6.1.8924.0, last modified date of 9 Oct 2002.
> Should I rename the three copies of msvcrt.dll in the Program Files
> sub-folders to msvcrt.old? Will doing so affect the program of Ahead
> Nero?
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:58:45 AM

Yes, I did as what you told me, and reboot. But the problem still remains.
There is only one copy of each these files in the Windows\System folder. No
other can be located.

> As I said earlier, rename all copies of these files other than those in
> the Windows\System folder. The copies in the Ahead folder are a later
> version and for some reason one was already loaded in memory when you went
> to use FrontPage and this is what gave you your problem. Only time will
> tell whether Nero or InCD or whatever specifically requires the newer
> version or msvcrt.dll or not. I can't really help with that, whilst I have
> Nero installed here it is on boxes running XP and that uses a totally
> different set of file versions.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> bch <beechon@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks! Here are what I found:
> > msvcirt.dll -- only one copy in the Windows\System folder, with the
> > version of 6.1.8637.0, last modified date of 8 June 2000. No other
> > copy was found. msvcrt.dll -- one copy in the Windows\System folder,
> > with the version of
> > 6.0.8797.0, last modified date of 6 Apr 2000; three other copies in
> > the sub-folders of Program Files\Ahead, with the version of
> > 6.1.8924.0, last modified date of 9 Oct 2002.
> > Should I rename the three copies of msvcrt.dll in the Program Files
> > sub-folders to msvcrt.old? Will doing so affect the program of Ahead
> > Nero?

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:58:46 AM

Are you absolutely sure that no other copy of msvcirt.dll and msvcrt.dll
are present on your PC other than the copies in the windows\system folder?
The message you are seeing indicates that one or other of the files is not
the correct version. Alternatively it is possible that one or other is
damaged in some way. When did this problem start? What changes were made
to your system, hardware, software or drivers immediately prior to this
problem starting? Have you tried using system restore to roll your system
back to the sate it was in before this problem started?

You might want to consider replacing either or both or msvcrt.dll and
msvcirt.dll with new copies from the Win Me cab set as follows.

msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll are both contained in WIN_13.CAB of the Win Me
cab set and can be replaced by booting to Safe Mode and using MSConfig |
General | Extract File and following the prompts. The "cab" files are in
the Win9x folder on the Win Me CD and/or in a sub-folder of
Windows\Options. See MS KB 265371 - "How to Extract and Replace a
Protected File in Windows Me" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=265371)
for details of how to extract files from the cab set. Both files belong
in the Windows\System\ folder.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

bch <beechon@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I did as what you told me, and reboot. But the problem still
> remains. There is only one copy of each these files in the
> Windows\System folder. No other can be located.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:13:50 AM

Thanks. Yes, I was sure that no other copies were present. And I didn't turn
system restore on. Anyway, for another problem, I re-installed the whole
WinMe again, and this gives me a chance to track the problem. So far, I
discovered that the msvcrt.dll was first replaced by a Chinese add-on system
with the version of 6.0.8168.0, and the last modified date of 15 Mar 2005 -
the day I installed the Chinese program. But I still have no idea how come
the msvcrt.dll became as the version of 6.0.8797.0 on the date of 6 Apr
2000. Right now, I already replaced it back to the original one, and keep
track on it as I continue the installation of other programs.

> Are you absolutely sure that no other copy of msvcirt.dll and msvcrt.dll
> are present on your PC other than the copies in the windows\system folder?
> The message you are seeing indicates that one or other of the files is not
> the correct version. Alternatively it is possible that one or other is
> damaged in some way. When did this problem start? What changes were made
> to your system, hardware, software or drivers immediately prior to this
> problem starting? Have you tried using system restore to roll your system
> back to the sate it was in before this problem started?
>
> You might want to consider replacing either or both or msvcrt.dll and
> msvcirt.dll with new copies from the Win Me cab set as follows.
>
> msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll are both contained in WIN_13.CAB of the Win Me
> cab set and can be replaced by booting to Safe Mode and using MSConfig |
> General | Extract File and following the prompts. The "cab" files are in
> the Win9x folder on the Win Me CD and/or in a sub-folder of
> Windows\Options. See MS KB 265371 - "How to Extract and Replace a
> Protected File in Windows Me" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=265371)
> for details of how to extract files from the cab set. Both files belong
> in the Windows\System\ folder.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> bch <beechon@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I did as what you told me, and reboot. But the problem still
> > remains. There is only one copy of each these files in the
> > Windows\System folder. No other can be located.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:13:51 AM

> And I didn't turn system restore on.

Why? A bit like jumping out of a plane with putting on a parachute. <g>

> I re-installed the whole WinMe again

Why? Was this because of this problem or some other? There's no need to
reinstall an OS because a file version is incorrect. My previous post
explained how to replace the two files you mentioned. What happened when
you tried this?

I find it surprising that you had an application, Chinese or any other,
that changed the copy of msvcrt.dll in the windows system folder
especially to an older version as Win Me's system file protection should
have prevented this. You say you have disabled system restore (it isn't a
question of not turning it on as it is on by default) - does this by any
chance mean that you unchecked the *Statemgr entry in MSConfig? If yes,
then many of your problems are likely to result from having unchecked that
entry as this would mean that system file protection is no longer in
effect.

Regards and best of luck with the rest of the reinstall,
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

bch <beechon@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Yes, I was sure that no other copies were present. And I
> didn't turn system restore on. Anyway, for another problem, I
> re-installed the whole WinMe again, and this gives me a chance to
> track the problem. So far, I discovered that the msvcrt.dll was first
> replaced by a Chinese add-on system with the version of 6.0.8168.0,
> and the last modified date of 15 Mar 2005 - the day I installed the
> Chinese program. But I still have no idea how come the msvcrt.dll
> became as the version of 6.0.8797.0 on the date of 6 Apr 2000. Right
> now, I already replaced it back to the original one, and keep track
> on it as I continue the installation of other programs.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:13:52 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:34:14 GMT,"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>
penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

>> And I didn't turn system restore on.
>
> Why? A bit like jumping out of a plane with putting on a parachute.
> <g>
>
>> I re-installed the whole WinMe again
>
> Why? Was this because of this problem or some other? There's no need
> to reinstall an OS because a file version is incorrect. My previous
> post explained how to replace the two files you mentioned. What
> happened when you tried this?
>
> I find it surprising that you had an application, Chinese or any
> other, that changed the copy of msvcrt.dll in the windows system
> folder especially to an older version as Win Me's system file
> protection should have prevented this. You say you have disabled
> system restore (it isn't a question of not turning it on as it is on
> by default) - does this by any chance mean that you unchecked the
> *Statemgr entry in MSConfig? If yes, then many of your problems are
> likely to result from having unchecked that entry as this would mean
> that system file protection is no longer in effect.
>
> Regards and best of luck with the rest of the reinstall,

Updated versions of JAVA should place files from 2002 on the system, just
so you know, and they won't interfere with FP in my experience.

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."

Mike
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:13:53 AM

BJ Honeycut <Friday@drag.net.invalid> wrote:

Mike,

> Updated versions of JAVA should place files from 2002 on the system,
> just so you know, and they won't interfere with FP in my experience.

In which location? On my Win Me boxes Sun Java, amongst other
applications, has installed a copy of msvcrt.dll in its Program Files
folder rather than in the system folder.

Looking at the logs on a Win Me PC here I can see that SFP prevented the
replacement of msvcrt.dll v6.1.8637.0 by v6.1.8924.0 during the
installation of an application called Bradbury Topstyle. Not that this
seems to have caused problems when using Topstyle that v6.1.8637.0 was
being loaded instead of v6.1.8924.0.

Regards,
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:13:54 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:13:56 GMT,"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> penned
this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> In which location? On my Win Me boxes Sun Java, amongst other
> applications, has installed a copy of msvcrt.dll in its Program Files
> folder rather than in the system folder.
>
> Looking at the logs on a Win Me PC here I can see that SFP prevented the
> replacement of msvcrt.dll v6.1.8637.0 by v6.1.8924.0 during the
> installation of an application called Bradbury Topstyle. Not that this
> seems to have caused problems when using Topstyle that v6.1.8637.0 was
> being loaded instead of v6.1.8924.0.
>
> Regards,

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.0_01\bin

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

Mike
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:13:55 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:25:17 GMT,BJ Honeycut <Friday@drag.net.invalid>
penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:13:56 GMT,"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>
> penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general
>
>> In which location? On my Win Me boxes Sun Java, amongst other
>> applications, has installed a copy of msvcrt.dll in its Program Files
>> folder rather than in the system folder.
>>
>> Looking at the logs on a Win Me PC here I can see that SFP prevented
>> the replacement of msvcrt.dll v6.1.8637.0 by v6.1.8924.0 during the
>> installation of an application called Bradbury Topstyle. Not that
>> this seems to have caused problems when using Topstyle that
>> v6.1.8637.0 was being loaded instead of v6.1.8924.0.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.0_01\bin

Sorry for replying to myself, but corelldraw and a number of other apps
will try to install their own version of that file, but on this machine I
can't say where, or if they do a search for an updated one first (which is
probably the case) but the advice was to "As I said earlier, rename all
copies of these files other than those in
the Windows\System folder. " Good advice for this person but not so great
for someone else reading this was my only point.
Have a good one, Mike.

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

Mike
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:20:56 AM

Mike,

As I've already said lots of application will install copies of msvcrt.dll
and other libraries in their Program Folders. Such areas aren't the
concern of system file protection which only monitors certain specific
files in specific locations such as the windows and system folders. You
can check which files are protected and in which location by having a look
at the contents of FileList.xml in the windows\system\restore folder (the
file also contains information used by system restore).

I agree that the best way of dealing with this is manually to rename these
files as we have both previously suggested.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

BJ Honeycut <Friday@drag.net.invalid> wrote:

> Sorry for replying to myself, but corelldraw and a number of other
> apps will try to install their own version of that file, but on this
> machine I can't say where, or if they do a search for an updated one
> first (which is probably the case) but the advice was to "As I said
> earlier, rename all copies of these files other than those in
> the Windows\System folder. " Good advice for this person but not so
> great for someone else reading this was my only point.
> Have a good one, Mike.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:56:44 AM

Hi, I didn't turn system restore on because I have a small HD, and I am
afraid that it might reduce the hd's capacity. So I unchecked the *Statemgr
entry in MSConfig. But it seems that doing so will reduce the system's
security too.

I reinstall the whole ME because of another problem other than these files
issue, and therefore I didn't replace the msvcrt.dll. But I do so after I
reinstall the system and found one of these two files was changed by a
Chinese add-on system. It seems to be ok so far.

Thanks a lot for your help. Best regards.

news:o A%23PvOWKFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > And I didn't turn system restore on.
>
> Why? A bit like jumping out of a plane with putting on a parachute. <g>
>
> > I re-installed the whole WinMe again
>
> Why? Was this because of this problem or some other? There's no need to
> reinstall an OS because a file version is incorrect. My previous post
> explained how to replace the two files you mentioned. What happened when
> you tried this?
>
> I find it surprising that you had an application, Chinese or any other,
> that changed the copy of msvcrt.dll in the windows system folder
> especially to an older version as Win Me's system file protection should
> have prevented this. You say you have disabled system restore (it isn't a
> question of not turning it on as it is on by default) - does this by any
> chance mean that you unchecked the *Statemgr entry in MSConfig? If yes,
> then many of your problems are likely to result from having unchecked that
> entry as this would mean that system file protection is no longer in
> effect.
>
> Regards and best of luck with the rest of the reinstall,
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:56:45 AM

Unchecking the *StateMgr entry ins MSConfig | Startup is not the way to
disable system restore, the correct method being to check the box "Disable
System Restore" located at System Properties | Performance | File System |
Troubleshooting.

As you have found for yourself unchecking the *StateMgr entry can cause
considerable damage to a system including the file version problems you
have been experiencing.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

bch <beechon@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I didn't turn system restore on because I have a small HD, and I
> am afraid that it might reduce the hd's capacity. So I unchecked the
> *Statemgr entry in MSConfig. But it seems that doing so will reduce
> the system's security too.
>
> I reinstall the whole ME because of another problem other than these
> files issue, and therefore I didn't replace the msvcrt.dll. But I do
> so after I reinstall the system and found one of these two files was
> changed by a Chinese add-on system. It seems to be ok so far.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. Best regards.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:56:45 AM

Killing stmgr kills SFP as well as SR.
You do not want to do that.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"bch" <beechon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o No5vsnKFHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

<snip>
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 8:42:35 PM

Thanks! But please advise what SFP and SR stand for...

> Killing stmgr kills SFP as well as SR.
> You do not want to do that.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "bch" <beechon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o No5vsnKFHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
> <snip>

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 8:42:36 PM

SFP - System File Protection
SR - System Restore
Joan

bch wrote:
> Thanks! But please advise what SFP and SR stand for...

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 8:42:37 PM

Txs, Joanie.

bch, use your Help & Support tool to find out more.

news:o 4gFqatKFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

!