unable to update 1%

Following problems with the KB891711 download, I notice that another download
on the same day hasn't "taken". It still shows up on the Windows update site
as a critical update. When I try to install and after the reboot, i get the
unable to update 1% 2% message. I have tried several times (it's KB867282
cumulative patch for IE6 Service pack 1). It does show up in the add/remove
though as installed as does IE6 service pack 1.
I know there have been several topics on this before but I'm afraid I can't
find them.
How do I get this to update please.Thanks,
Hillneerg
25 answers Last reply
More about unable update

    Your %1/%2 error is caused usually by Norton LiveUpdate, corrupting the
    System Restore archive - although there are other possible causes.

    Do a Search for the file WININIT.INI - if you find it, then rename it to
    WININIT.JNK, and reboot - your problem should be gone.

    If you don't find it, then try this - Start|Run - enter SCANREG /FIX into
    the dialog box, and click OK - windows will reboot - see if that fixes it.

    If not, then open Windows Explorer - check in Folder Properties that you are
    able to view Hidden and System files (two settings), then Search on your PC
    for files named '_RESTORE' (without the quotes) - you should find the
    C:\_RESTORE folder - r-click on it, and select Properties.
    How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
    LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to completely
    remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to be
    the easiest at present.

    Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
    A:\> prompt.

    ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
    REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

    remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
    gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
    Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder

    HTH

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Following problems with the KB891711 download, I notice that another
    > download
    > on the same day hasn't "taken". It still shows up on the Windows update
    > site
    > as a critical update. When I try to install and after the reboot, i get
    > the
    > unable to update 1% 2% message. I have tried several times (it's KB867282
    > cumulative patch for IE6 Service pack 1). It does show up in the
    > add/remove
    > though as installed as does IE6 service pack 1.
    > I know there have been several topics on this before but I'm afraid I
    > can't
    > find them.
    > How do I get this to update please.Thanks,
    > Hillneerg

    Thanks. You had to give me this advice about a year ago. (I don't have any of
    Norton's programs on my PC at all - not even trial versions). This time I
    have copied it and will keep it safe.There is no ini file but there is a
    wininit.err file with today's date with a lot of "delete file" and "rename
    file" in it, an exe file, a sav file a txt file (blank)and a bak file (plus a
    wininitlog.old which I think dates from that last time you helped me).
    There are 32,789 files in 5 folders in the restore folder.After installing
    the KB891711 update all the resore points went bar one for last August????
    but it did create one for the update in question (but deleted the August one).
    Now, before I do the repairs, some quick questions.
    Would you still advise me to remove the folder?
    Also, will I need to re-download/install the update again?
    (Writing this in advance of the scanreg/fix just in case the PC won't boot
    up!!).
    Many thanks for your time and trouble
    Hillneerg

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > Your %1/%2 error is caused usually by Norton LiveUpdate, corrupting the
    > System Restore archive - although there are other possible causes.
    >
    > Do a Search for the file WININIT.INI - if you find it, then rename it to
    > WININIT.JNK, and reboot - your problem should be gone.
    >
    > If you don't find it, then try this - Start|Run - enter SCANREG /FIX into
    > the dialog box, and click OK - windows will reboot - see if that fixes it.
    >
    > If not, then open Windows Explorer - check in Folder Properties that you are
    > able to view Hidden and System files (two settings), then Search on your PC
    > for files named '_RESTORE' (without the quotes) - you should find the
    > C:\_RESTORE folder - r-click on it, and select Properties.
    > How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
    > LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to completely
    > remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to be
    > the easiest at present.
    >
    > Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
    > A:\> prompt.
    >
    > ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
    > REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
    >
    > remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
    > gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
    > Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder
    >
    > HTH
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Following problems with the KB891711 download, I notice that another
    > > download
    > > on the same day hasn't "taken". It still shows up on the Windows update
    > > site
    > > as a critical update. When I try to install and after the reboot, i get
    > > the
    > > unable to update 1% 2% message. I have tried several times (it's KB867282
    > > cumulative patch for IE6 Service pack 1). It does show up in the
    > > add/remove
    > > though as installed as does IE6 service pack 1.
    > > I know there have been several topics on this before but I'm afraid I
    > > can't
    > > find them.
    > > How do I get this to update please.Thanks,
    > > Hillneerg

    Yes - you need to delete the folder (please email me the wininit.err file,
    would you? - it may help in tracking down the source of some problems with
    the KB 891711 patch - my email is valid)

    I doubt very much that the SCANREG /FIX will work in this instance, as
    you've already identified the problem as being a 'stuffed' System Restore
    archive.

    --

> [...]
    >>
    >> "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Following problems with the KB891711 download, I notice that another
    >> > download
    >> > on the same day hasn't "taken". It still shows up on the Windows update
    >> > site
    >> > as a critical update. When I try to install and after the reboot, i get
    >> > the
    >> > unable to update 1% 2% message. I have tried several times (it's
    >> > KB867282
    >> > cumulative patch for IE6 Service pack 1). It does show up in the
    >> > add/remove
    >> > though as installed as does IE6 service pack 1.
    >> > I know there have been several topics on this before but I'm afraid I
    >> > can't
    >> > find them.
    >> > How do I get this to update please.Thanks,

    Right I will go ahead and delete the folder and reinstall the update.
    One thing I have noticed is that after all the trouble with the patch, for
    some reason the box for Statemgr was unchecked in msconfig startup. Now I am
    the only person with access to the PC and I didn't uncheck it! That may be
    the reason all my restore points vanished but why I don't know. I have
    re-checked the box now of course.

    I have e-mailed you the file as requested.
    Thanks,
    Hillneerg

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
    > >> LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to completely
    > >> remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to be
    > >> the easiest at present.
    > >>
    > >> Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
    > >> A:\> prompt.
    > >>
    > >> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
    > >> REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
    > >>
    > >> remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
    > >> gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
    > >> Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder
    > >>
    > >> HTH
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >>
    > >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol

    Sorry about this. After searching for my startup disc, I couldn't find it (no
    surprise there). I decided to make a new one via add/remove but when I click
    on "create disc" nothing happens (well the ok and cancel buttons grey out for
    a second) but nothing else. The drive A is working fine and the floppy is ok.
    I know I can find a "generic" disc on he Internet ( I presume thay would be
    ok) but am a little concerned that I can't get any response from my PC.
    Hillneerg

    Try the "Ultimate Boot Disk" from
    http://www.startdisk.com/
    --
    8O)
    Koldbear

    How To Create a Windows Me Startup Disk Manually
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271823

    Confirm that the Windows setup files are in Windows\Options\CABS , or the
    ....\INSTALL folder, for the Add-Remove/Windows Setup wizard to work
    properly. If not, point the wizard to the Windows CD.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
> [...]
    > > > wininit.err file with today's date with a lot of "delete file" and
    "rename
    > > > file" in it, an exe file, a sav file a txt file (blank)and a bak file
    > > > (plus a
    > > > wininitlog.old which I think dates from that last time you helped me).
    > > > There are 32,789 files in 5 folders in the restore folder.After
    installing
    > > > the KB891711 update all the resore points went bar one for last
    August????
    > > > but it did create one for the update in question (but deleted the
    August
    > > > one).
    > > > Now, before I do the repairs, some quick questions.
    > > > Would you still advise me to remove the folder?
    > > > Also, will I need to re-download/install the update again?
    > > > (Writing this in advance of the scanreg/fix just in case the PC won't

    Shouldn't have posted the last message here re the startup disk as it is
    unconnected so have removed it to another thread. my apologies.
    Back to the original, I deleted the file and all is well and the update took
    with no problems.
    I hace printed out your advice for future reference.
    Many thanks for your time and trouble. It is appreciated.

    "Hillneerg" wrote:

    > Sorry about this. After searching for my startup disc, I couldn't find it (no
    > surprise there). I decided to make a new one via add/remove but when I click
    > on "create disc" nothing happens (well the ok and cancel buttons grey out for
    > a second) but nothing else. The drive A is working fine and the floppy is ok.
    > I know I can find a "generic" disc on he Internet ( I presume thay would be
    > ok) but am a little concerned that I can't get any response from my PC.
    > Hillneerg
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes - you need to delete the folder (please email me the wininit.err file,
    > > would you? - it may help in tracking down the source of some problems with
    > > the KB 891711 patch - my email is valid)
    > >
    > > I doubt very much that the SCANREG /FIX will work in this instance, as
    > > you've already identified the problem as being a 'stuffed' System Restore
    > > archive.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >
    > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >
    > > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    > >
    > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    > >
    > > "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks. You had to give me this advice about a year ago. (I don't have any
    > > > of
    > > > Norton's programs on my PC at all - not even trial versions). This time I
    > > > have copied it and will keep it safe.There is no ini file but there is a
    > > > wininit.err file with today's date with a lot of "delete file" and "rename
    > > > file" in it, an exe file, a sav file a txt file (blank)and a bak file
    > > > (plus a
    > > > wininitlog.old which I think dates from that last time you helped me).
    > > > There are 32,789 files in 5 folders in the restore folder.After installing
    > > > the KB891711 update all the resore points went bar one for last August????
    > > > but it did create one for the update in question (but deleted the August
    > > > one).
    > > > Now, before I do the repairs, some quick questions.
    > > > Would you still advise me to remove the folder?
    > > > Also, will I need to re-download/install the update again?
    > > > (Writing this in advance of the scanreg/fix just in case the PC won't boot
    > > > up!!).
    > > > Many thanks for your time and trouble
    > > > Hillneerg

    No problem - I've just walked in the door....

    Good Luck

    --

    > Shouldn't have posted the last message here re the startup disk as it is
    > unconnected so have removed it to another thread. my apologies.
    > Back to the original, I deleted the file and all is well and the update
    > took
    > with no problems.
    > I hace printed out your advice for future reference.
    > Many thanks for your time and trouble. It is appreciated.
    >
    > "Hillneerg" wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry about this. After searching for my startup disc, I couldn't find it
    >> (no
    >> surprise there). I decided to make a new one via add/remove but when I
    >> click
    >> on "create disc" nothing happens (well the ok and cancel buttons grey out
    >> for
    >> a second) but nothing else. The drive A is working fine and the floppy is
    >> ok.
    >> I know I can find a "generic" disc on he Internet ( I presume thay would
    >> be
    >> ok) but am a little concerned that I can't get any response from my PC.
    >> Hillneerg
    >>
    >> "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Yes - you need to delete the folder (please email me the wininit.err
    >> > file,
    >> > would you? - it may help in tracking down the source of some problems
    >> > with
    >> > the KB 891711 patch - my email is valid)
    >> >
    >> > I doubt very much that the SCANREG /FIX will work in this instance,
    >> > as
    >> > you've already identified the problem as being a 'stuffed' System
    >> > Restore
    >> > archive.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >> >
    >> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >> >
    >> > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    >> > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    >> >
    >> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    >> > NG's
    >> >
    >> > "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Just one final question (sorry). After using the attrib etc in DOS and
    deleting the oldrest file, should there still be a _restore folder visable
    (there used to be)?
    I have found a hidden _restore folder (after unchecking hide protected
    system files) and it still has over 65000 files and 5 folders and is 69.4MB
    (1.05gb on disk)in size. The folder used to be visable normally (not faded).
    Hillneerg

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > No problem - I've just walked in the door....
    >
    > Good Luck
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Shouldn't have posted the last message here re the startup disk as it is
    > > unconnected so have removed it to another thread. my apologies.
    > > Back to the original, I deleted the file and all is well and the update
    > > took
    > > with no problems.
    > > I hace printed out your advice for future reference.
    > > Many thanks for your time and trouble. It is appreciated.
    > >
    > > "Hillneerg" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sorry about this. After searching for my startup disc, I couldn't find it
    > >> (no
    > >> surprise there). I decided to make a new one via add/remove but when I
    > >> click
    > >> on "create disc" nothing happens (well the ok and cancel buttons grey out
    > >> for
    > >> a second) but nothing else. The drive A is working fine and the floppy is
    > >> ok.
    > >> I know I can find a "generic" disc on he Internet ( I presume thay would
    > >> be
    > >> ok) but am a little concerned that I can't get any response from my PC.
    > >> Hillneerg

    You need to follow EXACTLY the steps set out in Noels' first post in this
    thread. Namely:

    Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
    A:\> prompt.

    ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
    REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

    remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
    gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
    Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder

    A new C:\_RESTORE folder will have been created when you booted back into
    to Win Me after removing the floppy. It will contain five sub folders and
    just a few files - perhaps 10-12MB at most in total including a single
    checkpoint.

    Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore archive to suit your
    requirements. System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust
    the restore slider to your preferred setting. The minimum of 200MB or
    perhaps one notch above that is normally more than adequate for day to day
    use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available although
    increasing this to perhaps 400-500MB for a few days during periods of
    large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.

    Regards,
    In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Just one final question (sorry). After using the attrib etc in DOS and
    > deleting the oldrest file, should there still be a _restore folder
    > visable (there used to be)?
    > I have found a hidden _restore folder (after unchecking hide protected
    > system files) and it still has over 65000 files and 5 folders and is
    > 69.4MB (1.05gb on disk)in size. The folder used to be visable
    > normally (not faded). Hillneerg

    Ok, that bit sorted out. I must have made an error the first time.
    I have followed the instructions very carefully and the _restore folder is
    now at 17.3MB with 2627 files an I have one checkpoint.
    I have adjusted the restore slider (for some reason it was set rather high -
    2800MB, I don't know why I did that).
    To find the new _restore folder, I have to uncheck the "hide protected
    system files" (although I always have the "show hidden folders" checked)
    option otherwise I can't find it in a search (0 files found)or using Windows
    explorer.
    Previously it just showed as a normal folder and I didn't have to uncheck
    anything. Possibly something I had one in the past caused this but which is
    correct - visible (after having checked "show hidden files") or a hidden
    protected system folder?
    Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your time.
    Hillneerg

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > You need to follow EXACTLY the steps set out in Noels' first post in this
    > thread. Namely:
    >
    > Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
    > A:\> prompt.
    >
    > ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
    > REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
    >
    > remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
    > gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
    > Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder
    >
    > A new C:\_RESTORE folder will have been created when you booted back into
    > to Win Me after removing the floppy. It will contain five sub folders and
    > just a few files - perhaps 10-12MB at most in total including a single
    > checkpoint.
    >
    > Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore archive to suit your
    > requirements. System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust
    > the restore slider to your preferred setting. The minimum of 200MB or
    > perhaps one notch above that is normally more than adequate for day to day
    > use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available although
    > increasing this to perhaps 400-500MB for a few days during periods of
    > large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
    >
    > Regards,
    > In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
    >
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Just one final question (sorry). After using the attrib etc in DOS and
    > > deleting the oldrest file, should there still be a _restore folder
    > > visable (there used to be)?
    > > I have found a hidden _restore folder (after unchecking hide protected
    > > system files) and it still has over 65000 files and 5 folders and is
    > > 69.4MB (1.05gb on disk)in size. The folder used to be visable
    > > normally (not faded). Hillneerg

    Hillneerg,

    To see the entire contents of the C:\_RESTORE folder including the five
    sub-folders and their contents you need to have both "Show hidden files
    and folders" checked and "Hide protected operating system files"
    UNchecked.

    If you check "Show hidden files and folders" and "Hide protected operating
    system files" remains checked you will see the _RESTORE folder and four of
    the five top level files but not the five sub-folders and their contents.

    If you have both "Do not show hidden files and folders" and "Hide
    protected operating system files" checked you won't see the _RESTORE
    folder when using Windows Explorer.

    Noel in his first post in this thread mentioned that there were two places
    in Folder Options | View that need to be configured to view the _RESTORE
    folder and all the contents.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Ok, that bit sorted out. I must have made an error the first time.
    > I have followed the instructions very carefully and the _restore
    > folder is now at 17.3MB with 2627 files an I have one checkpoint.
    > I have adjusted the restore slider (for some reason it was set rather
    > high - 2800MB, I don't know why I did that).
    > To find the new _restore folder, I have to uncheck the "hide protected
    > system files" (although I always have the "show hidden folders"
    > checked) option otherwise I can't find it in a search (0 files
    > found)or using Windows explorer.
    > Previously it just showed as a normal folder and I didn't have to
    > uncheck anything. Possibly something I had one in the past caused
    > this but which is correct - visible (after having checked "show
    > hidden files") or a hidden protected system folder?
    > Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your time.
    > Hillneerg
    >

    > "Mike M" wrote:
    >
    >> You need to follow EXACTLY the steps set out in Noels' first post in
    >> this thread. Namely:
    >>
    >> Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands
    >> at the A:\> prompt.
    >>
    >> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
    >> REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
    >>
    >> remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should
    >> be gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to
    >> Windows Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder
    >>
    >> A new C:\_RESTORE folder will have been created when you booted back
    >> into to Win Me after removing the floppy. It will contain five sub
    >> folders and just a few files - perhaps 10-12MB at most in total
    >> including a single checkpoint.
    >>
    >> Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore archive to suit
    >> your requirements. System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk
    >> and adjust the restore slider to your preferred setting. The
    >> minimum of 200MB or perhaps one notch above that is normally more
    >> than adequate for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of
    >> checkpoints to be available although increasing this to perhaps
    >> 400-500MB for a few days during periods of large installs such
    >> Microsoft Office is advisable.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> --
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
    >>
    >> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    >> mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >>

    >> Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just one final question (sorry). After using the attrib etc in DOS
    >>> and deleting the oldrest file, should there still be a _restore
    >>> folder visable (there used to be)?
    >>> I have found a hidden _restore folder (after unchecking hide
    >>> protected system files) and it still has over 65000 files and 5
    >>> folders and is
    >>> 69.4MB (1.05gb on disk)in size. The folder used to be visable
    >>> normally (not faded). Hillneerg

    Right, what you say is exactly how it used to be.
    "Show hidden files" resulted in me being able to view the actual folder,
    click on it and the properties and to view the four files.
    Since following the instructions, neither the the folder nor the four files
    are visible although I can see the four files if I type in C:\_RESTORE
    directly.
    On this setting ("show hidden files"), I am unable to find the folder using
    search or windows explorer.
    However, if I check "show hidden files" and "show protected then I can find
    them using the above (and, of course, they show the extra files).
    In "properties", the "hidden" box is checked but greyed-out.
    I would like it to be as you described but cannot understand why it isn't
    any more.

    The only item I have changed on the PC is to download a new Java from Sun
    but I can't see how that would change it.
    Also I note that the _restore file again has over 65,000 files (in 24 hours
    - see last post)nearly all of them in a folder called TEMP and nearly all of
    them "Touchmanager.ini" which is my keyboard controller. I have seen a reply
    from you on another windows forumz from June 2004 regarding this but got lost
    about half way. It seems as if this is causing the updating problems (1% 2%)
    as it is clogging up the folder.
    The files are "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

    [Info]
    LastScan=C:\WINDOWS\TOUCHMGR.INI" and the touchmgr.ini file is "[Settings]
    Flags=4 2 5 300 10 500 300 0 0 0
    ModeBarX=241
    ModeBarY=335
    AlwaysOnTop=0
    StartMinimized=0
    SaveModeBarPos=1
    RemoteName=[Multimedia Keyboard SK1301]
    Xpos=277
    Ypos=0
    SaveWinPos=1
    FontName=Arial
    FontCharSet=0
    FontSize=14
    ExePath=C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\TOUCH MANAGER\TOUCHMGR.EXE
    ConfigureBtns=1
    DefaultOn=1
    LabelColor=4"
    I am running TrendMicro Internet Security with a real-time scan so am not
    too sure which is causing the problem. The files seem to build up at the rate
    of about 150-200 each minute but I cannot equate the times created with
    anything in particular (the last batch I was disconnected from the Internet
    and out of the room although the PC was still switched on)and I can't make it
    do it (tried logging on to internet, opening e-mails etc)and I don't have any
    automatic updates running at all. Nothing unusual running either (explorer,
    systray,ruddll32, pcciomon, pccguide pccclient)
    Hope you can help.
    Hillneerg

    "Mike M" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> into to Win Me after removing the floppy. It will contain five sub
    > >> folders and just a few files - perhaps 10-12MB at most in total
    > >> including a single checkpoint.
    > >>
    > >> Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore archive to suit
    > >> your requirements. System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk
    > >> and adjust the restore slider to your preferred setting. The
    > >> minimum of 200MB or perhaps one notch above that is normally more
    > >> than adequate for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of
    > >> checkpoints to be available although increasing this to perhaps
    > >> 400-500MB for a few days during periods of large installs such
    > >> Microsoft Office is advisable.
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >> --
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > >> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    I see nothing wrong with what you say you are seeing.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    MS-MVP Windows [2001-2005]

    Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    > I see nothing wrong with what you say you are seeing.

    Correction, I mean I wouldn't find what you are seeing to be a problem
    since I run my systems at all time with all files and folders visible.

    I'm not entirely clear as to what you mean when you say:
    "I can see the four files if I type in C:\_RESTORE directly"
    Type in where directly? Are you talking here of the Start | Run box?

    You now mention the %1 %2 error when booting. Surely you've dealt with
    that by now when you renamed the C_\RESTORE folder from DOS and then
    booted back into Win Me and let the state manager recreate the folder.

    I think the best thing that you can do at this point is boot to DOS once
    again using a floppy and rename the C:\_RESTORE folder and let it be
    rebuilt again and hopefully this time it will perform correctly.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    MS-MVP Windows [2001-2005]

    Ok, let's forget about the folder. As it is not a problem let's not worry
    about it - I know where it is and how to find it which is the main thing.
    I am really more concerned with this build up of files in the _Restore\Temp
    folder. Noel said that my problems with updating were due to too many files
    in the folder (65,000+) and the folder being "stuffed" as he put it. As I
    said in my last posting, within 2 hours the folder had soared from a few
    files to 65554. Nearly all of them touchmgr.ini copies and I am unable to
    create a restore point(presumably because of the size of this folder). The
    deleting of the _restore folder works fine and the updating is fine but the
    folder is filling up again with these copies within a day (back to 65534
    files). This is what appears to be actually causing the problem but I have no
    idea how to stop it.
    At the moment I have to delete the _restore folder each time I need to
    update and that leaves me with just the one restore point each time. Not
    good. I need to stop these copies being created. Can you help please?
    Hillneerg

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
    >
    > > I see nothing wrong with what you say you are seeing.
    >
    > Correction, I mean I wouldn't find what you are seeing to be a problem
    > since I run my systems at all time with all files and folders visible.
    >
    > I'm not entirely clear as to what you mean when you say:
    > "I can see the four files if I type in C:\_RESTORE directly"
    > Type in where directly? Are you talking here of the Start | Run box?
    >
    > You now mention the %1 %2 error when booting. Surely you've dealt with
    > that by now when you renamed the C_\RESTORE folder from DOS and then
    > booted back into Win Me and let the state manager recreate the folder.
    >
    > I think the best thing that you can do at this point is boot to DOS once
    > again using a floppy and rename the C:\_RESTORE folder and let it be
    > rebuilt again and hopefully this time it will perform correctly.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > MS-MVP Windows [2001-2005]
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Well its over to you, you need to check the files and work out what the
    original file is that is being archived. Once you have established that
    it is easy to prevent this happening in future but you and you alone have
    to work out which file it is that is being continually archived.

    What is happening is that you have installed an application that is
    continually accessing or modifying a file that has an extension in the
    list of those monitored by Win Me's state manager, quite possibly a file
    with an INI extension (there are around 550 different monitored file
    extensions). What you need to do is work out which application and then
    which file. You will have to do the hard work by running your system
    without any applications running and also uncheck entries in MSConfig |
    Startup until you establish the application involved. Once you've
    established the application then look for a likely candidate file starting
    with any INI files in the applications program files folder. Compare the
    suspect file with the A*.CPY files that are being archived. Once you've
    found a match post back with details and I'll explain how to remove the
    file involved from the state manager's scope.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Ok, let's forget about the folder. As it is not a problem let's not
    > worry about it - I know where it is and how to find it which is the
    > main thing.
    > I am really more concerned with this build up of files in the
    > _Restore\Temp folder. Noel said that my problems with updating were
    > due to too many files in the folder (65,000+) and the folder being
    > "stuffed" as he put it. As I said in my last posting, within 2 hours
    > the folder had soared from a few files to 65554. Nearly all of them
    > touchmgr.ini copies and I am unable to create a restore
    > point(presumably because of the size of this folder). The deleting of
    > the _restore folder works fine and the updating is fine but the
    > folder is filling up again with these copies within a day (back to
    > 65534 files). This is what appears to be actually causing the problem
    > but I have no idea how to stop it.
    > At the moment I have to delete the _restore folder each time I need to
    > update and that leaves me with just the one restore point each time.
    > Not good. I need to stop these copies being created. Can you help
    > please? Hillneerg
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    The touchmgr.ini appears to be related to a Canon 240-250 ??

    See if there's updated drivers for this device available....

    --

    > Ok, let's forget about the folder. As it is not a problem let's not worry
    > about it - I know where it is and how to find it which is the main thing.
    > I am really more concerned with this build up of files in the
    > _Restore\Temp
    > folder. Noel said that my problems with updating were due to too many
    > files
    > in the folder (65,000+) and the folder being "stuffed" as he put it. As I
    > said in my last posting, within 2 hours the folder had soared from a few
    > files to 65554. Nearly all of them touchmgr.ini copies and I am unable to
    > create a restore point(presumably because of the size of this folder). The
    > deleting of the _restore folder works fine and the updating is fine but
    > the
    > folder is filling up again with these copies within a day (back to 65534
    > files). This is what appears to be actually causing the problem but I have
    > no
    > idea how to stop it.
    > At the moment I have to delete the _restore folder each time I need to
    > update and that leaves me with just the one restore point each time. Not
    > good. I need to stop these copies being created. Can you help please?
    > Hillneerg
    >

    > "Mike M" wrote:
    >
    >> Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I see nothing wrong with what you say you are seeing.
    >>
    >> Correction, I mean I wouldn't find what you are seeing to be a problem
    >> since I run my systems at all time with all files and folders visible.
    >>
    >> I'm not entirely clear as to what you mean when you say:
    >> "I can see the four files if I type in C:\_RESTORE directly"
    >> Type in where directly? Are you talking here of the Start | Run box?
    >>
    >> You now mention the %1 %2 error when booting. Surely you've dealt with
    >> that by now when you renamed the C_\RESTORE folder from DOS and then
    >> booted back into Win Me and let the state manager recreate the folder.
    >>
    >> I think the best thing that you can do at this point is boot to DOS once
    >> again using a floppy and rename the C:\_RESTORE folder and let it be
    >> rebuilt again and hopefully this time it will perform correctly.
    >> --
    >> Mike Maltby
    >> MS-MVP Windows [2001-2005]
    >> mike.maltby@gmail.com

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Sorry I missed the reference to touchmgr.ini. If Noel's suggestion
    doesn't work then I'll post details of how to remove touchmgr.ini from the
    state manager's scope. What is the full path to touchmgr.ini?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    > Well its over to you, you need to check the files and work out what
    > the original file is that is being archived. Once you have
    > established that it is easy to prevent this happening in future but
    > you and you alone have to work out which file it is that is being
    > continually archived.
    > What is happening is that you have installed an application that is
    > continually accessing or modifying a file that has an extension in the
    > list of those monitored by Win Me's state manager, quite possibly a
    > file with an INI extension (there are around 550 different monitored
    > file extensions). What you need to do is work out which application
    > and then which file. You will have to do the hard work by running
    > your system without any applications running and also uncheck entries
    > in MSConfig | Startup until you establish the application involved. Once
    > you've established the application then look for a likely
    > candidate file starting with any INI files in the applications
    > program files folder. Compare the suspect file with the A*.CPY files
    > that are being archived. Once you've found a match post back with
    > details and I'll explain how to remove the file involved from the
    > state manager's scope.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I do have a Canon i250 and a Canon BJC240 attached to my system but the
    drivers appear to be up to date.
    The touchmanager program was installed when I attached a new multimedia
    keyboard and, according to its help file, is used to work the multimedia keys
    on the keyboard (CD player, volume control, Internet access, favourites etc)
    and its icon sits in the toolbar by the clock as a lightbulb. Its path is
    C:\Program Files\Netropa\Touch Manager and the ini file is in C:\Windows
    The creation dates correspond to the purchase of the keyboard but not to the
    installation or updates to the Canon printers. I can't find anything in the
    touchmanger help file regarding printers.
    Hillneerg

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > The touchmgr.ini appears to be related to a Canon 240-250 ??
    >
    > See if there's updated drivers for this device available....
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Ok, let's forget about the folder. As it is not a problem let's not worry
    > > about it - I know where it is and how to find it which is the main thing.
    > > I am really more concerned with this build up of files in the
    > > _Restore\Temp
    > > folder. Noel said that my problems with updating were due to too many
    > > files
    > > in the folder (65,000+) and the folder being "stuffed" as he put it. As I
    > > said in my last posting, within 2 hours the folder had soared from a few
    > > files to 65554. Nearly all of them touchmgr.ini copies and I am unable to
    > > create a restore point(presumably because of the size of this folder). The
    > > deleting of the _restore folder works fine and the updating is fine but
    > > the
    > > folder is filling up again with these copies within a day (back to 65534
    > > files). This is what appears to be actually causing the problem but I have
    > > no
    > > idea how to stop it.
    > > At the moment I have to delete the _restore folder each time I need to
    > > update and that leaves me with just the one restore point each time. Not
    > > good. I need to stop these copies being created. Can you help please?
    > > Hillneerg

    > >> Correction, I mean I wouldn't find what you are seeing to be a problem
    > >> since I run my systems at all time with all files and folders visible.
    > >>
    > >> I'm not entirely clear as to what you mean when you say:
    > >> "I can see the four files if I type in C:\_RESTORE directly"
    > >> Type in where directly? Are you talking here of the Start | Run box?
    > >>
    > >> You now mention the %1 %2 error when booting. Surely you've dealt with
    > >> that by now when you renamed the C_\RESTORE folder from DOS and then
    > >> booted back into Win Me and let the state manager recreate the folder.
    > >>
    > >> I think the best thing that you can do at this point is boot to DOS once
    > >> again using a floppy and rename the C:\_RESTORE folder and let it be
    > >> rebuilt again and hopefully this time it will perform correctly.
    > >> --
    > >> Mike Maltby
    > >> MS-MVP Windows [2001-2005]
    > >> mike.maltby@gmail.com

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hmm - it would seem to point to the keyboard then.

    Have you checked for updated drivers for that??

    --

    >I do have a Canon i250 and a Canon BJC240 attached to my system but the
    > drivers appear to be up to date.
    > The touchmanager program was installed when I attached a new multimedia
    > keyboard and, according to its help file, is used to work the multimedia
    > keys
    > on the keyboard (CD player, volume control, Internet access, favourites
    > etc)
    > and its icon sits in the toolbar by the clock as a lightbulb. Its path is
    > C:\Program Files\Netropa\Touch Manager and the ini file is in C:\Windows
    > The creation dates correspond to the purchase of the keyboard but not to
    > the
    > installation or updates to the Canon printers. I can't find anything in
    > the
    > touchmanger help file regarding printers.
    > Hillneerg
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    >> The touchmgr.ini appears to be related to a Canon 240-250 ??
    >>
    >> See if there's updated drivers for this device available....
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Ok, let's forget about the folder. As it is not a problem let's not
    >> > worry
    >> > about it - I know where it is and how to find it which is the main
    >> > thing.
    >> > I am really more concerned with this build up of files in the
    >> > _Restore\Temp
    >> > folder. Noel said that my problems with updating were due to too many
    >> > files
    >> > in the folder (65,000+) and the folder being "stuffed" as he put it. As
    >> > said in my last posting, within 2 hours the folder had soared from a
    >> > few
    >> > files to 65554. Nearly all of them touchmgr.ini copies and I am unable
    >> > create a restore point(presumably because of the size of this folder).
    >> > The
    >> > deleting of the _restore folder works fine and the updating is fine but
    >> > the
    >> > folder is filling up again with these copies within a day (back to
    >> > 65534
    >> > files). This is what appears to be actually causing the problem but I
    >> > have
    >> > no
    >> > idea how to stop it.
    >> > At the moment I have to delete the _restore folder each time I need to
    >> > update and that leaves me with just the one restore point each time.
    >> > Not
    >> > good. I need to stop these copies being created. Can you help please?
    >> > Hillneerg

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Yes and there are no available updated drivers for the keyboard.
    I stopped Touchmanager starting up in msconfig, deleted the _restore folder
    etc as instructed, checked the new _restore folder and it had 174 files and
    was only 17.6kb in size. I then started Touchmanager and it started writing
    files at about the rate of 8 per second (rough guess).
    Since starting this reply it has added over 10,000 files (and is still
    adding although it has slowed a little now). At least I now know the cause
    of my upating problems and the lack of restore points. (Touchmanager filling
    up the _restore folder)
    I suppose a new keyboard is in order or dumping the multimeia support for it
    at least.
    Hillneerg

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > Hmm - it would seem to point to the keyboard then.
    >
    > Have you checked for updated drivers for that??
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I do have a Canon i250 and a Canon BJC240 attached to my system but the
    > > drivers appear to be up to date.
    > > The touchmanager program was installed when I attached a new multimedia
    > > keyboard and, according to its help file, is used to work the multimedia
    > > keys
    > > on the keyboard (CD player, volume control, Internet access, favourites
    > > etc)
    > > and its icon sits in the toolbar by the clock as a lightbulb. Its path is
    > > C:\Program Files\Netropa\Touch Manager and the ini file is in C:\Windows
    > > The creation dates correspond to the purchase of the keyboard but not to
    > > the
    > > installation or updates to the Canon printers. I can't find anything in
    > > the
    > > touchmanger help file regarding printers.
    > > Hillneerg
    > >
    > > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The touchmgr.ini appears to be related to a Canon 240-250 ??
    > >>
    > >> See if there's updated drivers for this device available....
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >>
    > >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    > >>
    > >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    > >>
    > >> "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Neither option is required but rather all that is necessary is to remove
    touchmgr.ini from the state manager's scope. Something I have to assume
    you have no interest in doing since you have not responded to my post
    offering to post the details of how to do this.

    If you should change your mind all you need do is reply to my post.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Yes and there are no available updated drivers for the keyboard.
    > I stopped Touchmanager starting up in msconfig, deleted the _restore
    > folder etc as instructed, checked the new _restore folder and it had
    > 174 files and was only 17.6kb in size. I then started Touchmanager
    > and it started writing files at about the rate of 8 per second (rough
    > guess).
    > Since starting this reply it has added over 10,000 files (and is still
    > adding although it has slowed a little now). At least I now know the
    > cause of my upating problems and the lack of restore points.
    > (Touchmanager filling up the _restore folder)
    > I suppose a new keyboard is in order or dumping the multimeia support
    > for it at least.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    My sincerest apologies for not replying directly to your post. The
    information was included in a later reply to a post made by Noel. Sorry.
    The file being copied over an over again is as follows : [Info]
    LastScan=C:\WINDOWS\TOUCHMGR.INI (taken from the cpy file opened with
    Notepad). They all say exactly the same thing.
    The program for Touchmanager is C:\Program Files\Netropa\Touch
    Manager\TouchMgr.exe.
    Unchecking this program in MSconfig startup stops these files being copied
    to the _restore\Temp folder. When I run this exe (manually), the copies of
    the ini file start appearing in the _restore folder again. If I then exit the
    program, no further copies are made. If I recheck the program in MSconfig
    startup, the copying resumes again until I manually exit the program. I have
    done this several times to confirm it.
    Is this enough information?
    Hillneerg.

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Neither option is required but rather all that is necessary is to remove
    > touchmgr.ini from the state manager's scope. Something I have to assume
    > you have no interest in doing since you have not responded to my post
    > offering to post the details of how to do this.
    >
    > If you should change your mind all you need do is reply to my post.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Yes and there are no available updated drivers for the keyboard.
    > > I stopped Touchmanager starting up in msconfig, deleted the _restore
    > > folder etc as instructed, checked the new _restore folder and it had
    > > 174 files and was only 17.6kb in size. I then started Touchmanager
    > > and it started writing files at about the rate of 8 per second (rough
    > > guess).
    > > Since starting this reply it has added over 10,000 files (and is still
    > > adding although it has slowed a little now). At least I now know the
    > > cause of my upating problems and the lack of restore points.
    > > (Touchmanager filling up the _restore folder)
    > > I suppose a new keyboard is in order or dumping the multimeia support
    > > for it at least.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Just a simple question. A yes or no reply is all that is required. Do
    you wish me to tell you how to remove touchmgr.ini from the scope of the
    state manager or not.?

    This has nothing to do with unchecking any program in msconfig or removing
    the functionality of the program but rather allows you to continue to use
    the application without touchmgr.ini being continually archived by the
    state manager to C:\_RESTORE\TEMP as a CPY file. So yes or no?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > My sincerest apologies for not replying directly to your post. The
    > information was included in a later reply to a post made by Noel.
    > Sorry.
    > The file being copied over an over again is as follows : [Info]
    > LastScan=C:\WINDOWS\TOUCHMGR.INI (taken from the cpy file opened with
    > Notepad). They all say exactly the same thing.
    > The program for Touchmanager is C:\Program Files\Netropa\Touch
    > Manager\TouchMgr.exe.
    > Unchecking this program in MSconfig startup stops these files being
    > copied to the _restore\Temp folder. When I run this exe (manually),
    > the copies of the ini file start appearing in the _restore folder
    > again. If I then exit the program, no further copies are made. If I
    > recheck the program in MSconfig startup, the copying resumes again
    > until I manually exit the program. I have done this several times to
    > confirm it.
    > Is this enough information?

Download Windows