unable to update 1%

Following problems with the KB891711 download, I notice that another download
on the same day hasn't "taken". It still shows up on the Windows update site
as a critical update. When I try to install and after the reboot, i get the
unable to update 1% 2% message. I have tried several times (it's KB867282
cumulative patch for IE6 Service pack 1). It does show up in the add/remove
though as installed as does IE6 service pack 1.
I know there have been several topics on this before but I'm afraid I can't
find them.
How do I get this to update please.Thanks,
Hillneerg

Your %1/%2 error is caused usually by Norton LiveUpdate, corrupting the
System Restore archive - although there are other possible causes.

Do a Search for the file WININIT.INI - if you find it, then rename it to
WININIT.JNK, and reboot - your problem should be gone.

If you don't find it, then try this - Start|Run - enter SCANREG /FIX into
the dialog box, and click OK - windows will reboot - see if that fixes it.

If not, then open Windows Explorer - check in Folder Properties that you are
able to view Hidden and System files (two settings), then Search on your PC
for files named '_RESTORE' (without the quotes) - you should find the
C:\_RESTORE folder - r-click on it, and select Properties.
How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to completely
remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to be
the easiest at present.

Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
A:\> prompt.

ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder

HTH

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Following problems with the KB891711 download, I notice that another
> download
> on the same day hasn't "taken". It still shows up on the Windows update
> site
> as a critical update. When I try to install and after the reboot, i get
> the
> unable to update 1% 2% message. I have tried several times (it's KB867282
> cumulative patch for IE6 Service pack 1). It does show up in the
> add/remove
> though as installed as does IE6 service pack 1.
> I know there have been several topics on this before but I'm afraid I
> can't
> find them.
> How do I get this to update please.Thanks,
> Hillneerg

Thanks. You had to give me this advice about a year ago. (I don't have any of
Norton's programs on my PC at all - not even trial versions). This time I
have copied it and will keep it safe.There is no ini file but there is a
wininit.err file with today's date with a lot of "delete file" and "rename
file" in it, an exe file, a sav file a txt file (blank)and a bak file (plus a
wininitlog.old which I think dates from that last time you helped me).
There are 32,789 files in 5 folders in the restore folder.After installing
the KB891711 update all the resore points went bar one for last August????
but it did create one for the update in question (but deleted the August one).
Now, before I do the repairs, some quick questions.
Would you still advise me to remove the folder?
Also, will I need to re-download/install the update again?
(Writing this in advance of the scanreg/fix just in case the PC won't boot
up!!).
Many thanks for your time and trouble
Hillneerg

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Your %1/%2 error is caused usually by Norton LiveUpdate, corrupting the
> System Restore archive - although there are other possible causes.
>
> Do a Search for the file WININIT.INI - if you find it, then rename it to
> WININIT.JNK, and reboot - your problem should be gone.
>
> If you don't find it, then try this - Start|Run - enter SCANREG /FIX into
> the dialog box, and click OK - windows will reboot - see if that fixes it.
>
> If not, then open Windows Explorer - check in Folder Properties that you are
> able to view Hidden and System files (two settings), then Search on your PC
> for files named '_RESTORE' (without the quotes) - you should find the
> C:\_RESTORE folder - r-click on it, and select Properties.
> How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
> LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to completely
> remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to be
> the easiest at present.
>
> Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
> A:\> prompt.
>
> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
> REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
>
> remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
> gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
> Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder
>
> HTH
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Following problems with the KB891711 download, I notice that another
> > download
> > on the same day hasn't "taken". It still shows up on the Windows update
> > site
> > as a critical update. When I try to install and after the reboot, i get
> > the
> > unable to update 1% 2% message. I have tried several times (it's KB867282
> > cumulative patch for IE6 Service pack 1). It does show up in the
> > add/remove
> > though as installed as does IE6 service pack 1.
> > I know there have been several topics on this before but I'm afraid I
> > can't
> > find them.
> > How do I get this to update please.Thanks,
> > Hillneerg

Yes - you need to delete the folder (please email me the wininit.err file,
would you? - it may help in tracking down the source of some problems with
the KB 891711 patch - my email is valid)

I doubt very much that the SCANREG /FIX will work in this instance, as
you've already identified the problem as being a 'stuffed' System Restore
archive.

--

> [...]
>>
>> "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Following problems with the KB891711 download, I notice that another
>> > download
>> > on the same day hasn't "taken". It still shows up on the Windows update
>> > site
>> > as a critical update. When I try to install and after the reboot, i get
>> > the
>> > unable to update 1% 2% message. I have tried several times (it's
>> > KB867282
>> > cumulative patch for IE6 Service pack 1). It does show up in the
>> > add/remove
>> > though as installed as does IE6 service pack 1.
>> > I know there have been several topics on this before but I'm afraid I
>> > can't
>> > find them.
>> > How do I get this to update please.Thanks,

Right I will go ahead and delete the folder and reinstall the update.
One thing I have noticed is that after all the trouble with the patch, for
some reason the box for Statemgr was unchecked in msconfig startup. Now I am
the only person with access to the PC and I didn't uncheck it! That may be
the reason all my restore points vanished but why I don't know. I have
re-checked the box now of course.

I have e-mailed you the file as requested.
Thanks,
Hillneerg

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> [...]
> >> How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
> >> LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to completely
> >> remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to be
> >> the easiest at present.
> >>
> >> Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
> >> A:\> prompt.
> >>
> >> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
> >> REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
> >>
> >> remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
> >> gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
> >> Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol

Sorry about this. After searching for my startup disc, I couldn't find it (no
surprise there). I decided to make a new one via add/remove but when I click
on "create disc" nothing happens (well the ok and cancel buttons grey out for
a second) but nothing else. The drive A is working fine and the floppy is ok.
I know I can find a "generic" disc on he Internet ( I presume thay would be
ok) but am a little concerned that I can't get any response from my PC.
Hillneerg

Try the "Ultimate Boot Disk" from
http://www.startdisk.com/
--
8O)
Koldbear

How To Create a Windows Me Startup Disk Manually
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271823

Confirm that the Windows setup files are in Windows\Options\CABS , or the
....\INSTALL folder, for the Add-Remove/Windows Setup wizard to work
properly. If not, point the wizard to the Windows CD.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> [...]
> > > wininit.err file with today's date with a lot of "delete file" and
"rename
> > > file" in it, an exe file, a sav file a txt file (blank)and a bak file
> > > (plus a
> > > wininitlog.old which I think dates from that last time you helped me).
> > > There are 32,789 files in 5 folders in the restore folder.After
installing
> > > the KB891711 update all the resore points went bar one for last
August????
> > > but it did create one for the update in question (but deleted the
August
> > > one).
> > > Now, before I do the repairs, some quick questions.
> > > Would you still advise me to remove the folder?
> > > Also, will I need to re-download/install the update again?
> > > (Writing this in advance of the scanreg/fix just in case the PC won't

Shouldn't have posted the last message here re the startup disk as it is
unconnected so have removed it to another thread. my apologies.
Back to the original, I deleted the file and all is well and the update took
with no problems.
I hace printed out your advice for future reference.
Many thanks for your time and trouble. It is appreciated.

"Hillneerg" wrote:

> Sorry about this. After searching for my startup disc, I couldn't find it (no
> surprise there). I decided to make a new one via add/remove but when I click
> on "create disc" nothing happens (well the ok and cancel buttons grey out for
> a second) but nothing else. The drive A is working fine and the floppy is ok.
> I know I can find a "generic" disc on he Internet ( I presume thay would be
> ok) but am a little concerned that I can't get any response from my PC.
> Hillneerg
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
> > Yes - you need to delete the folder (please email me the wininit.err file,
> > would you? - it may help in tracking down the source of some problems with
> > the KB 891711 patch - my email is valid)
> >
> > I doubt very much that the SCANREG /FIX will work in this instance, as
> > you've already identified the problem as being a 'stuffed' System Restore
> > archive.
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >
> > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
> >
> > "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks. You had to give me this advice about a year ago. (I don't have any
> > > of
> > > Norton's programs on my PC at all - not even trial versions). This time I
> > > have copied it and will keep it safe.There is no ini file but there is a
> > > wininit.err file with today's date with a lot of "delete file" and "rename
> > > file" in it, an exe file, a sav file a txt file (blank)and a bak file
> > > (plus a
> > > wininitlog.old which I think dates from that last time you helped me).
> > > There are 32,789 files in 5 folders in the restore folder.After installing
> > > the KB891711 update all the resore points went bar one for last August????
> > > but it did create one for the update in question (but deleted the August
> > > one).
> > > Now, before I do the repairs, some quick questions.
> > > Would you still advise me to remove the folder?
> > > Also, will I need to re-download/install the update again?
> > > (Writing this in advance of the scanreg/fix just in case the PC won't boot
> > > up!!).
> > > Many thanks for your time and trouble
> > > Hillneerg

No problem - I've just walked in the door....

Good Luck

--

> Shouldn't have posted the last message here re the startup disk as it is
> unconnected so have removed it to another thread. my apologies.
> Back to the original, I deleted the file and all is well and the update
> took
> with no problems.
> I hace printed out your advice for future reference.
> Many thanks for your time and trouble. It is appreciated.
>
> "Hillneerg" wrote:
>
>> Sorry about this. After searching for my startup disc, I couldn't find it
>> (no
>> surprise there). I decided to make a new one via add/remove but when I
>> click
>> on "create disc" nothing happens (well the ok and cancel buttons grey out
>> for
>> a second) but nothing else. The drive A is working fine and the floppy is
>> ok.
>> I know I can find a "generic" disc on he Internet ( I presume thay would
>> be
>> ok) but am a little concerned that I can't get any response from my PC.
>> Hillneerg
>>
>> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>>
>> > Yes - you need to delete the folder (please email me the wininit.err
>> > file,
>> > would you? - it may help in tracking down the source of some problems
>> > with
>> > the KB 891711 patch - my email is valid)
>> >
>> > I doubt very much that the SCANREG /FIX will work in this instance,
>> > as
>> > you've already identified the problem as being a 'stuffed' System
>> > Restore
>> > archive.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>> >
>> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>> >
>> > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
>> > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
>> >
>> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
>> > NG's
>> >
>> > "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Just one final question (sorry). After using the attrib etc in DOS and
deleting the oldrest file, should there still be a _restore folder visable
(there used to be)?
I have found a hidden _restore folder (after unchecking hide protected
system files) and it still has over 65000 files and 5 folders and is 69.4MB
(1.05gb on disk)in size. The folder used to be visable normally (not faded).
Hillneerg

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> No problem - I've just walked in the door....
>
> Good Luck
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Shouldn't have posted the last message here re the startup disk as it is
> > unconnected so have removed it to another thread. my apologies.
> > Back to the original, I deleted the file and all is well and the update
> > took
> > with no problems.
> > I hace printed out your advice for future reference.
> > Many thanks for your time and trouble. It is appreciated.
> >
> > "Hillneerg" wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry about this. After searching for my startup disc, I couldn't find it
> >> (no
> >> surprise there). I decided to make a new one via add/remove but when I
> >> click
> >> on "create disc" nothing happens (well the ok and cancel buttons grey out
> >> for
> >> a second) but nothing else. The drive A is working fine and the floppy is
> >> ok.
> >> I know I can find a "generic" disc on he Internet ( I presume thay would
> >> be
> >> ok) but am a little concerned that I can't get any response from my PC.
> >> Hillneerg

You need to follow EXACTLY the steps set out in Noels' first post in this
thread. Namely:

Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
A:\> prompt.

ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder

A new C:\_RESTORE folder will have been created when you booted back into
to Win Me after removing the floppy. It will contain five sub folders and
just a few files - perhaps 10-12MB at most in total including a single
checkpoint.

Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore archive to suit your
requirements. System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust
the restore slider to your preferred setting. The minimum of 200MB or
perhaps one notch above that is normally more than adequate for day to day
use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available although
increasing this to perhaps 400-500MB for a few days during periods of
large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.

Regards,
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Just one final question (sorry). After using the attrib etc in DOS and
> deleting the oldrest file, should there still be a _restore folder
> visable (there used to be)?
> I have found a hidden _restore folder (after unchecking hide protected
> system files) and it still has over 65000 files and 5 folders and is
> 69.4MB (1.05gb on disk)in size. The folder used to be visable
> normally (not faded). Hillneerg

Ok, that bit sorted out. I must have made an error the first time.
I have followed the instructions very carefully and the _restore folder is
now at 17.3MB with 2627 files an I have one checkpoint.
I have adjusted the restore slider (for some reason it was set rather high -
2800MB, I don't know why I did that).
To find the new _restore folder, I have to uncheck the "hide protected
system files" (although I always have the "show hidden folders" checked)
option otherwise I can't find it in a search (0 files found)or using Windows
explorer.
Previously it just showed as a normal folder and I didn't have to uncheck
anything. Possibly something I had one in the past caused this but which is
correct - visible (after having checked "show hidden files") or a hidden
protected system folder?
Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your time.
Hillneerg

"Mike M" wrote:

> You need to follow EXACTLY the steps set out in Noels' first post in this
> thread. Namely:
>
> Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
> A:\> prompt.
>
> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
> REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
>
> remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
> gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
> Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder
>
> A new C:\_RESTORE folder will have been created when you booted back into
> to Win Me after removing the floppy. It will contain five sub folders and
> just a few files - perhaps 10-12MB at most in total including a single
> checkpoint.
>
> Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore archive to suit your
> requirements. System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust
> the restore slider to your preferred setting. The minimum of 200MB or
> perhaps one notch above that is normally more than adequate for day to day
> use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available although
> increasing this to perhaps 400-500MB for a few days during periods of
> large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
>
> Regards,
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Just one final question (sorry). After using the attrib etc in DOS and
> > deleting the oldrest file, should there still be a _restore folder
> > visable (there used to be)?
> > I have found a hidden _restore folder (after unchecking hide protected
> > system files) and it still has over 65000 files and 5 folders and is
> > 69.4MB (1.05gb on disk)in size. The folder used to be visable
> > normally (not faded). Hillneerg

Hillneerg,

To see the entire contents of the C:\_RESTORE folder including the five
sub-folders and their contents you need to have both "Show hidden files
and folders" checked and "Hide protected operating system files"
UNchecked.

If you check "Show hidden files and folders" and "Hide protected operating
system files" remains checked you will see the _RESTORE folder and four of
the five top level files but not the five sub-folders and their contents.

If you have both "Do not show hidden files and folders" and "Hide
protected operating system files" checked you won't see the _RESTORE
folder when using Windows Explorer.

Noel in his first post in this thread mentioned that there were two places
in Folder Options | View that need to be configured to view the _RESTORE
folder and all the contents.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Ok, that bit sorted out. I must have made an error the first time.
> I have followed the instructions very carefully and the _restore
> folder is now at 17.3MB with 2627 files an I have one checkpoint.
> I have adjusted the restore slider (for some reason it was set rather
> high - 2800MB, I don't know why I did that).
> To find the new _restore folder, I have to uncheck the "hide protected
> system files" (although I always have the "show hidden folders"
> checked) option otherwise I can't find it in a search (0 files
> found)or using Windows explorer.
> Previously it just showed as a normal folder and I didn't have to
> uncheck anything. Possibly something I had one in the past caused
> this but which is correct - visible (after having checked "show
> hidden files") or a hidden protected system folder?
> Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your time.
> Hillneerg
>

> "Mike M" wrote:
>
>> You need to follow EXACTLY the steps set out in Noels' first post in
>> this thread. Namely:
>>
>> Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands
>> at the A:\> prompt.
>>
>> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
>> REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
>>
>> remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should
>> be gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to
>> Windows Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder
>>
>> A new C:\_RESTORE folder will have been created when you booted back
>> into to Win Me after removing the floppy. It will contain five sub
>> folders and just a few files - perhaps 10-12MB at most in total
>> including a single checkpoint.
>>
>> Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore archive to suit
>> your requirements. System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk
>> and adjust the restore slider to your preferred setting. The
>> minimum of 200MB or perhaps one notch above that is normally more
>> than adequate for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of
>> checkpoints to be available although increasing this to perhaps
>> 400-500MB for a few days during periods of large installs such
>> Microsoft Office is advisable.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
>> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>>
>> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>> Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just one final question (sorry). After using the attrib etc in DOS
>>> and deleting the oldrest file, should there still be a _restore
>>> folder visable (there used to be)?
>>> I have found a hidden _restore folder (after unchecking hide
>>> protected system files) and it still has over 65000 files and 5
>>> folders and is
>>> 69.4MB (1.05gb on disk)in size. The folder used to be visable
>>> normally (not faded). Hillneerg

Right, what you say is exactly how it used to be.
"Show hidden files" resulted in me being able to view the actual folder,
click on it and the properties and to view the four files.
Since following the instructions, neither the the folder nor the four files
are visible although I can see the four files if I type in C:\_RESTORE
directly.
On this setting ("show hidden files"), I am unable to find the folder using
search or windows explorer.
However, if I check "show hidden files" and "show protected then I can find
them using the above (and, of course, they show the extra files).
In "properties", the "hidden" box is checked but greyed-out.
I would like it to be as you described but cannot understand why it isn't
any more.

The only item I have changed on the PC is to download a new Java from Sun
but I can't see how that would change it.
Also I note that the _restore file again has over 65,000 files (in 24 hours
- see last post)nearly all of them in a folder called TEMP and nearly all of
them "Touchmanager.ini" which is my keyboard controller. I have seen a reply
from you on another windows forumz from June 2004 regarding this but got lost
about half way. It seems as if this is causing the updating problems (1% 2%)
as it is clogging up the folder.
The files are "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

[Info]
LastScan=C:\WINDOWS\TOUCHMGR.INI" and the touchmgr.ini file is "[Settings]
Flags=4 2 5 300 10 500 300 0 0 0
ModeBarX=241
ModeBarY=335
AlwaysOnTop=0
StartMinimized=0
SaveModeBarPos=1
RemoteName=[Multimedia Keyboard SK1301]
Xpos=277
Ypos=0
SaveWinPos=1
FontName=Arial
FontCharSet=0
FontSize=14
ExePath=C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\TOUCH MANAGER\TOUCHMGR.EXE
ConfigureBtns=1
DefaultOn=1
LabelColor=4"
I am running TrendMicro Internet Security with a real-time scan so am not
too sure which is causing the problem. The files seem to build up at the rate
of about 150-200 each minute but I cannot equate the times created with
anything in particular (the last batch I was disconnected from the Internet
and out of the room although the PC was still switched on)and I can't make it
do it (tried logging on to internet, opening e-mails etc)and I don't have any
automatic updates running at all. Nothing unusual running either (explorer,
systray,ruddll32, pcciomon, pccguide pccclient)
Hope you can help.
Hillneerg

"Mike M" wrote:

> [...]
> >> into to Win Me after removing the floppy. It will contain five sub
> >> folders and just a few files - perhaps 10-12MB at most in total
> >> including a single checkpoint.
> >>
> >> Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore archive to suit
> >> your requirements. System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk
> >> and adjust the restore slider to your preferred setting. The
> >> minimum of 200MB or perhaps one notch above that is normally more
> >> than adequate for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of
> >> checkpoints to be available although increasing this to perhaps
> >> 400-500MB for a few days during periods of large installs such
> >> Microsoft Office is advisable.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> --
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> >> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

I see nothing wrong with what you say you are seeing.
--
Mike Maltby
MS-MVP Windows [2001-2005]

Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

> I see nothing wrong with what you say you are seeing.

Correction, I mean I wouldn't find what you are seeing to be a problem
since I run my systems at all time with all files and folders visible.

I'm not entirely clear as to what you mean when you say:
"I can see the four files if I type in C:\_RESTORE directly"
Type in where directly? Are you talking here of the Start | Run box?

You now mention the %1 %2 error when booting. Surely you've dealt with
that by now when you renamed the C_\RESTORE folder from DOS and then
booted back into Win Me and let the state manager recreate the folder.

I think the best thing that you can do at this point is boot to DOS once
again using a floppy and rename the C:\_RESTORE folder and let it be
rebuilt again and hopefully this time it will perform correctly.
--
Mike Maltby
MS-MVP Windows [2001-2005]

Ok, let's forget about the folder. As it is not a problem let's not worry
about it - I know where it is and how to find it which is the main thing.
I am really more concerned with this build up of files in the _Restore\Temp
folder. Noel said that my problems with updating were due to too many files
in the folder (65,000+) and the folder being "stuffed" as he put it. As I
said in my last posting, within 2 hours the folder had soared from a few
files to 65554. Nearly all of them touchmgr.ini copies and I am unable to
create a restore point(presumably because of the size of this folder). The
deleting of the _restore folder works fine and the updating is fine but the
folder is filling up again with these copies within a day (back to 65534
files). This is what appears to be actually causing the problem but I have no
idea how to stop it.
At the moment I have to delete the _restore folder each time I need to
update and that leaves me with just the one restore point each time. Not
good. I need to stop these copies being created. Can you help please?
Hillneerg

"Mike M" wrote:

> Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
>
> > I see nothing wrong with what you say you are seeing.
>
> Correction, I mean I wouldn't find what you are seeing to be a problem
> since I run my systems at all time with all files and folders visible.
>
> I'm not entirely clear as to what you mean when you say:
> "I can see the four files if I type in C:\_RESTORE directly"
> Type in where directly? Are you talking here of the Start | Run box?
>
> You now mention the %1 %2 error when booting. Surely you've dealt with
> that by now when you renamed the C_\RESTORE folder from DOS and then
> booted back into Win Me and let the state manager recreate the folder.
>
> I think the best thing that you can do at this point is boot to DOS once
> again using a floppy and rename the C:\_RESTORE folder and let it be
> rebuilt again and hopefully this time it will perform correctly.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> MS-MVP Windows [2001-2005]
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Well its over to you, you need to check the files and work out what the
original file is that is being archived. Once you have established that
it is easy to prevent this happening in future but you and you alone have
to work out which file it is that is being continually archived.

What is happening is that you have installed an application that is
continually accessing or modifying a file that has an extension in the
list of those monitored by Win Me's state manager, quite possibly a file
with an INI extension (there are around 550 different monitored file
extensions). What you need to do is work out which application and then
which file. You will have to do the hard work by running your system
without any applications running and also uncheck entries in MSConfig |
Startup until you establish the application involved. Once you've
established the application then look for a likely candidate file starting
with any INI files in the applications program files folder. Compare the
suspect file with the A*.CPY files that are being archived. Once you've
found a match post back with details and I'll explain how to remove the
file involved from the state manager's scope.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Ok, let's forget about the folder. As it is not a problem let's not
> worry about it - I know where it is and how to find it which is the
> main thing.
> I am really more concerned with this build up of files in the
> _Restore\Temp folder. Noel said that my problems with updating were
> due to too many files in the folder (65,000+) and the folder being
> "stuffed" as he put it. As I said in my last posting, within 2 hours
> the folder had soared from a few files to 65554. Nearly all of them
> touchmgr.ini copies and I am unable to create a restore
> point(presumably because of the size of this folder). The deleting of
> the _restore folder works fine and the updating is fine but the
> folder is filling up again with these copies within a day (back to
> 65534 files). This is what appears to be actually causing the problem
> but I have no idea how to stop it.
> At the moment I have to delete the _restore folder each time I need to
> update and that leaves me with just the one restore point each time.
> Not good. I need to stop these copies being created. Can you help
> please? Hillneerg

The touchmgr.ini appears to be related to a Canon 240-250 ??

See if there's updated drivers for this device available....

--

> Ok, let's forget about the folder. As it is not a problem let's not worry
> about it - I know where it is and how to find it which is the main thing.
> I am really more concerned with this build up of files in the
> _Restore\Temp
> folder. Noel said that my problems with updating were due to too many
> files
> in the folder (65,000+) and the folder being "stuffed" as he put it. As I
> said in my last posting, within 2 hours the folder had soared from a few
> files to 65554. Nearly all of them touchmgr.ini copies and I am unable to
> create a restore point(presumably because of the size of this folder). The
> deleting of the _restore folder works fine and the updating is fine but
> the
> folder is filling up again with these copies within a day (back to 65534
> files). This is what appears to be actually causing the problem but I have
> no
> idea how to stop it.
> At the moment I have to delete the _restore folder each time I need to
> update and that leaves me with just the one restore point each time. Not
> good. I need to stop these copies being created. Can you help please?
> Hillneerg
>

> "Mike M" wrote:
>
>> Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
>>
>> > I see nothing wrong with what you say you are seeing.
>>
>> Correction, I mean I wouldn't find what you are seeing to be a problem
>> since I run my systems at all time with all files and folders visible.
>>
>> I'm not entirely clear as to what you mean when you say:
>> "I can see the four files if I type in C:\_RESTORE directly"
>> Type in where directly? Are you talking here of the Start | Run box?
>>
>> You now mention the %1 %2 error when booting. Surely you've dealt with
>> that by now when you renamed the C_\RESTORE folder from DOS and then
>> booted back into Win Me and let the state manager recreate the folder.
>>
>> I think the best thing that you can do at this point is boot to DOS once
>> again using a floppy and rename the C:\_RESTORE folder and let it be
>> rebuilt again and hopefully this time it will perform correctly.
>> --
>> Mike Maltby
>> MS-MVP Windows [2001-2005]
>> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Sorry I missed the reference to touchmgr.ini. If Noel's suggestion
doesn't work then I'll post details of how to remove touchmgr.ini from the
state manager's scope. What is the full path to touchmgr.ini?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

> Well its over to you, you need to check the files and work out what
> the original file is that is being archived. Once you have
> established that it is easy to prevent this happening in future but
> you and you alone have to work out which file it is that is being
> continually archived.
> What is happening is that you have installed an application that is
> continually accessing or modifying a file that has an extension in the
> list of those monitored by Win Me's state manager, quite possibly a
> file with an INI extension (there are around 550 different monitored
> file extensions). What you need to do is work out which application
> and then which file. You will have to do the hard work by running
> your system without any applications running and also uncheck entries
> in MSConfig | Startup until you establish the application involved. Once
> you've established the application then look for a likely
> candidate file starting with any INI files in the applications
> program files folder. Compare the suspect file with the A*.CPY files
> that are being archived. Once you've found a match post back with
> details and I'll explain how to remove the file involved from the
> state manager's scope.

I do have a Canon i250 and a Canon BJC240 attached to my system but the
drivers appear to be up to date.
The touchmanager program was installed when I attached a new multimedia
keyboard and, according to its help file, is used to work the multimedia keys
on the keyboard (CD player, volume control, Internet access, favourites etc)
and its icon sits in the toolbar by the clock as a lightbulb. Its path is
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Touch Manager and the ini file is in C:\Windows
The creation dates correspond to the purchase of the keyboard but not to the
installation or updates to the Canon printers. I can't find anything in the
touchmanger help file regarding printers.
Hillneerg

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> The touchmgr.ini appears to be related to a Canon 240-250 ??
>
> See if there's updated drivers for this device available....
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, let's forget about the folder. As it is not a problem let's not worry
> > about it - I know where it is and how to find it which is the main thing.
> > I am really more concerned with this build up of files in the
> > _Restore\Temp
> > folder. Noel said that my problems with updating were due to too many
> > files
> > in the folder (65,000+) and the folder being "stuffed" as he put it. As I
> > said in my last posting, within 2 hours the folder had soared from a few
> > files to 65554. Nearly all of them touchmgr.ini copies and I am unable to
> > create a restore point(presumably because of the size of this folder). The
> > deleting of the _restore folder works fine and the updating is fine but
> > the
> > folder is filling up again with these copies within a day (back to 65534
> > files). This is what appears to be actually causing the problem but I have
> > no
> > idea how to stop it.
> > At the moment I have to delete the _restore folder each time I need to
> > update and that leaves me with just the one restore point each time. Not
> > good. I need to stop these copies being created. Can you help please?
> > Hillneerg

> >> Correction, I mean I wouldn't find what you are seeing to be a problem
> >> since I run my systems at all time with all files and folders visible.
> >>
> >> I'm not entirely clear as to what you mean when you say:
> >> "I can see the four files if I type in C:\_RESTORE directly"
> >> Type in where directly? Are you talking here of the Start | Run box?
> >>
> >> You now mention the %1 %2 error when booting. Surely you've dealt with
> >> that by now when you renamed the C_\RESTORE folder from DOS and then
> >> booted back into Win Me and let the state manager recreate the folder.
> >>
> >> I think the best thing that you can do at this point is boot to DOS once
> >> again using a floppy and rename the C:\_RESTORE folder and let it be
> >> rebuilt again and hopefully this time it will perform correctly.
> >> --
> >> Mike Maltby
> >> MS-MVP Windows [2001-2005]
> >> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Hmm - it would seem to point to the keyboard then.

Have you checked for updated drivers for that??

--

>I do have a Canon i250 and a Canon BJC240 attached to my system but the
> drivers appear to be up to date.
> The touchmanager program was installed when I attached a new multimedia
> keyboard and, according to its help file, is used to work the multimedia
> keys
> on the keyboard (CD player, volume control, Internet access, favourites
> etc)
> and its icon sits in the toolbar by the clock as a lightbulb. Its path is
> C:\Program Files\Netropa\Touch Manager and the ini file is in C:\Windows
> The creation dates correspond to the purchase of the keyboard but not to
> the
> installation or updates to the Canon printers. I can't find anything in
> the
> touchmanger help file regarding printers.
> Hillneerg
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
>> The touchmgr.ini appears to be related to a Canon 240-250 ??
>>
>> See if there's updated drivers for this device available....
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
>> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ok, let's forget about the folder. As it is not a problem let's not
>> > worry
>> > about it - I know where it is and how to find it which is the main
>> > thing.
>> > I am really more concerned with this build up of files in the
>> > _Restore\Temp
>> > folder. Noel said that my problems with updating were due to too many
>> > files
>> > in the folder (65,000+) and the folder being "stuffed" as he put it. As
>> > said in my last posting, within 2 hours the folder had soared from a
>> > few
>> > files to 65554. Nearly all of them touchmgr.ini copies and I am unable
>> > create a restore point(presumably because of the size of this folder).
>> > The
>> > deleting of the _restore folder works fine and the updating is fine but
>> > the
>> > folder is filling up again with these copies within a day (back to
>> > 65534
>> > files). This is what appears to be actually causing the problem but I
>> > have
>> > no
>> > idea how to stop it.
>> > At the moment I have to delete the _restore folder each time I need to
>> > update and that leaves me with just the one restore point each time.
>> > Not
>> > good. I need to stop these copies being created. Can you help please?
>> > Hillneerg

Yes and there are no available updated drivers for the keyboard.
I stopped Touchmanager starting up in msconfig, deleted the _restore folder
etc as instructed, checked the new _restore folder and it had 174 files and
was only 17.6kb in size. I then started Touchmanager and it started writing
files at about the rate of 8 per second (rough guess).
Since starting this reply it has added over 10,000 files (and is still
adding although it has slowed a little now). At least I now know the cause
of my upating problems and the lack of restore points. (Touchmanager filling
up the _restore folder)
I suppose a new keyboard is in order or dumping the multimeia support for it
at least.
Hillneerg

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Hmm - it would seem to point to the keyboard then.
>
> Have you checked for updated drivers for that??
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I do have a Canon i250 and a Canon BJC240 attached to my system but the
> > drivers appear to be up to date.
> > The touchmanager program was installed when I attached a new multimedia
> > keyboard and, according to its help file, is used to work the multimedia
> > keys
> > on the keyboard (CD player, volume control, Internet access, favourites
> > etc)
> > and its icon sits in the toolbar by the clock as a lightbulb. Its path is
> > C:\Program Files\Netropa\Touch Manager and the ini file is in C:\Windows
> > The creation dates correspond to the purchase of the keyboard but not to
> > the
> > installation or updates to the Canon printers. I can't find anything in
> > the
> > touchmanger help file regarding printers.
> > Hillneerg
> >
> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> >> The touchmgr.ini appears to be related to a Canon 240-250 ??
> >>
> >> See if there's updated drivers for this device available....
> >>

> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
> >>
> >> "Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Neither option is required but rather all that is necessary is to remove
touchmgr.ini from the state manager's scope. Something I have to assume
you have no interest in doing since you have not responded to my post
offering to post the details of how to do this.

If you should change your mind all you need do is reply to my post.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Yes and there are no available updated drivers for the keyboard.
> I stopped Touchmanager starting up in msconfig, deleted the _restore
> folder etc as instructed, checked the new _restore folder and it had
> 174 files and was only 17.6kb in size. I then started Touchmanager
> and it started writing files at about the rate of 8 per second (rough
> guess).
> Since starting this reply it has added over 10,000 files (and is still
> adding although it has slowed a little now). At least I now know the
> cause of my upating problems and the lack of restore points.
> (Touchmanager filling up the _restore folder)
> I suppose a new keyboard is in order or dumping the multimeia support
> for it at least.

My sincerest apologies for not replying directly to your post. The
information was included in a later reply to a post made by Noel. Sorry.
The file being copied over an over again is as follows : [Info]
LastScan=C:\WINDOWS\TOUCHMGR.INI (taken from the cpy file opened with
Notepad). They all say exactly the same thing.
The program for Touchmanager is C:\Program Files\Netropa\Touch
Manager\TouchMgr.exe.
Unchecking this program in MSconfig startup stops these files being copied
to the _restore\Temp folder. When I run this exe (manually), the copies of
the ini file start appearing in the _restore folder again. If I then exit the
program, no further copies are made. If I recheck the program in MSconfig
startup, the copying resumes again until I manually exit the program. I have
done this several times to confirm it.
Is this enough information?
Hillneerg.