Replacing Windows XP Home with XP Pro on Compaq laptop

I just purchased a Compaq Presario R3360US laptop preloaded with XP Home.
I prefer XP Pro and thinking of formatting the drive and loading XP Pro on
it.

Am I asking for trouble ??
Anyone here do this ??

Thanks for any input !!!
2 answers Last reply
More about replacing windows home compaq laptop

    Guido wrote:
    > I just purchased a Compaq Presario R3360US laptop preloaded with XP Home.
    > I prefer XP Pro and thinking of formatting the drive and loading XP Pro on
    > it.
    >
    > Am I asking for trouble ??
    > Anyone here do this ??
    >
    > Thanks for any input !!!

    If your XP Home is not terminally damaged in some way (viruses, malware,
    etc) then there is probably no reason to go to the work of reformatting.
    I've made the Home -> Pro upgrade on at least 6 computers and it has
    always worked flawlessly. Of course YMMV but I've never heard of
    _anybody_ having trouble with that particular upgrade path.

    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:27:58 -0500, John McGaw <nowhere@at.all> wrote:

    >Guido wrote:
    >> I just purchased a Compaq Presario R3360US laptop preloaded with XP Home.
    >> I prefer XP Pro and thinking of formatting the drive and loading XP Pro on
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Am I asking for trouble ??
    >> Anyone here do this ??
    >>
    >> Thanks for any input !!!
    >>

    >If your XP Home is not terminally damaged in some way (viruses, malware,
    >etc) then there is probably no reason to go to the work of reformatting.
    >I've made the Home -> Pro upgrade on at least 6 computers and it has
    >always worked flawlessly. Of course YMMV but I've never heard of
    >_anybody_ having trouble with that particular upgrade path.

    I had major problems recently upgrading a brand new HP desktop with
    XP Home to XP Pro.

    After many hours on the phone, HP said the problem was with the MS XP
    upgrade program. While MS said the problem was the HP computer that
    had XP home installed.

    To make a long story short, I had to update the drivers (which were
    only a few weeks old) for the modem, video card, and sound card.
    Afterwards, the XP Pro upgrade finally worked.

    Steve

Homebuilt Laptops Compaq Windows XP Systems