Boot up problems please help!!

"Hi people, I’m new here! Hopefully you can help, here goes:-

My PC is running Windows ME on a PIII 750 with 256 ram & 30gb hard
disk with plenty space free.

Booting this machine is becoming something of a nightmare! I’m
pulling my hair out!!! Its frequently taking numerous attempts to get
a successful bootup. Keep getting blue screens saying "an excetion OE
has occurred at VxD VMM(01) then a couple of strings of numbers (which
I think maybe are locations on the HD) it also says "it may be
possible to continue press any key to continue" then after that
happens usually the same thing will repeatedly occur several times
then the PC will either stabilize or automatically reboot. When this
reboot thing occurs the same thing often follows untill eventually I
get a sucessful boot. It can take 10 attempts to get the PC up and
running! By the way these blue screens seem to occur right at the very
end of the boot up attempt, as all the icons in the sytem tray have
finally appeared.

My knowledge of computers is scarce, thats why I’ve been searching for
help and eventually found here! What I have tried so far is to run a
full scan of my PC with both AVG and Mc Afee anti virus(both fully
upto date) - to no avail - I had initially suspected some sort of boot
virus but it seems not to be the case.

Since then I’ve downloaded a program called Windows Registry Repair,
which has cost me a few £’s and that didn’t sort my problem as I’d
hoped it would. It has made the PC run a lot faster - like it used to
when it was new. That on its first scan of my registry found 511
errors! Which as I said has made a world of difference in the speed of
my PC and crashes are less frequent, but the boot up problem remains.

I’m desperately hoping you guys can help! I don’t want to have to
reformat if at all possible but soon I think if I don’t find some
answers that will be the only choice.

Oh yes also please could you tell me how to clear out some of the
unwanted icons in the system tray? Its getting rather full with 8 or 9
icons in there at start up! I usually end up closing them once the PC
has finally booted up."

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Boot-problems-help-ftopict344158.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1077558
4 answers Last reply
More about boot problems help

    Just out of curiosity, did you download the Windows Update KB891711?? Do a
    C-A-D and look at your running processes to see if you have KB891711.exe
    running. If so, take a look at the prior posts regarding this update. If
    this is the case, you may want to disable this item in MSCONFIG and see if
    that makes a difference.

    Re: items in the Systray........take a look at one or more of these sites
    that will tell you what you need at Startup and what is fluff.......

    http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    http://ww2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

    Pacs-Portal and Whidbey are a couple of the best, BTW.
    Heirloom, old and going to watch 24

    "sir-axeman" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "Hi people, I'm new here! Hopefully you can help, here goes:-
    >
    > My PC is running Windows ME on a PIII 750 with 256 ram & 30gb hard
    > disk with plenty space free.
    >
    > Booting this machine is becoming something of a nightmare! I'm
    > pulling my hair out!!! Its frequently taking numerous attempts to get
    > a successful bootup. Keep getting blue screens saying "an excetion OE
    > has occurred at VxD VMM(01) then a couple of strings of numbers (which
    > I think maybe are locations on the HD) it also says "it may be
    > possible to continue press any key to continue" then after that
    > happens usually the same thing will repeatedly occur several times
    > then the PC will either stabilize or automatically reboot. When this
    > reboot thing occurs the same thing often follows untill eventually I
    > get a sucessful boot. It can take 10 attempts to get the PC up and
    > running! By the way these blue screens seem to occur right at the very
    > end of the boot up attempt, as all the icons in the sytem tray have
    > finally appeared.
    >
    > My knowledge of computers is scarce, thats why I've been searching for
    > help and eventually found here! What I have tried so far is to run a
    > full scan of my PC with both AVG and Mc Afee anti virus(both fully
    > upto date) - to no avail - I had initially suspected some sort of boot
    > virus but it seems not to be the case.
    >
    > Since then I've downloaded a program called Windows Registry Repair,
    > which has cost me a few £'s and that didn't sort my problem as I'd
    > hoped it would. It has made the PC run a lot faster - like it used to
    > when it was new. That on its first scan of my registry found 511
    > errors! Which as I said has made a world of difference in the speed of
    > my PC and crashes are less frequent, but the boot up problem remains.
    >
    > I'm desperately hoping you guys can help! I don't want to have to
    > reformat if at all possible but soon I think if I don't find some
    > answers that will be the only choice.
    >
    > Oh yes also please could you tell me how to clear out some of the
    > unwanted icons in the system tray? Its getting rather full with 8 or 9
    > icons in there at start up! I usually end up closing them once the PC
    > has finally booted up."

    request
    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Boot-problems-help-ftopict344158.html
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1077558

    Your knowledge of computers may stay scarce if you continue
    to do as you did here. In that error message were numbers.
    More important than the words were the numbers. Record and
    post those numbers. The alternative is a long list of thises
    and thats that would take days to sort out. Repost an exact
    wording of every error messge - especially with numbers.

    In the meantime, fill the screen with more icons. Makes
    absolutely no difference to booting. To delete, right click on
    the icon, and select from options.

    In the meantime, look for diagnostics from your disk drive
    manufacturer, memory diagnostics such as Docmem or Memtst86,
    video controller manufacturer diagnostics, etc. You may or
    may not need these. Better to start downloading and storing
    them so that you have them to execute now or for future use.

    sir-axeman wrote:
    > "Hi people, I’m new here! Hopefully you can help, here goes:-
    >
    > My PC is running Windows ME on a PIII 750 with 256 ram & 30gb hard
    > disk with plenty space free.
    >
    > Booting this machine is becoming something of a nightmare! I’m
    > pulling my hair out!!! Its frequently taking numerous attempts to get
    > a successful bootup. Keep getting blue screens saying "an excetion OE
    > has occurred at VxD VMM(01) then a couple of strings of numbers (which
    > I think maybe are locations on the HD) it also says "it may be
    > possible to continue press any key to continue" then after that
    > happens usually the same thing will repeatedly occur several times
    > then the PC will either stabilize or automatically reboot. When this
    > reboot thing occurs the same thing often follows untill eventually I
    > get a sucessful boot. It can take 10 attempts to get the PC up and
    > running! By the way these blue screens seem to occur right at the very
    > end of the boot up attempt, as all the icons in the sytem tray have
    > finally appeared.
    >
    > My knowledge of computers is scarce, thats why I’ve been searching for
    > help and eventually found here! What I have tried so far is to run a
    > full scan of my PC with both AVG and Mc Afee anti virus(both fully
    > upto date) - to no avail - I had initially suspected some sort of boot
    > virus but it seems not to be the case.
    >
    > Since then I’ve downloaded a program called Windows Registry Repair,
    > which has cost me a few £’s and that didn’t sort my problem as I’d
    > hoped it would. It has made the PC run a lot faster - like it used to
    > when it was new. That on its first scan of my registry found 511
    > errors! Which as I said has made a world of difference in the speed of
    > my PC and crashes are less frequent, but the boot up problem remains.
    >
    > I’m desperately hoping you guys can help! I don’t want to have to
    > reformat if at all possible but soon I think if I don’t find some
    > answers that will be the only choice.
    >
    > Oh yes also please could you tell me how to clear out some of the
    > unwanted icons in the system tray? Its getting rather full with 8 or 9
    > icons in there at start up! I usually end up closing them once the PC
    > has finally booted up."

    I recommend that you boot to Safe Mode and use System Restore to revert to
    an earlier time when the machine was booting properly.

    You may need:

    MS KB Q279736 - "How to Start the System Restore Tool
    From a Command Prompt"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];279736

    Re: the Systray icons:
    http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startlist.htm - has trojan related items
    listed

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "sir-axeman" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "Hi people, I’m new here! Hopefully you can help, here goes:-
    >
    > My PC is running Windows ME on a PIII 750 with 256 ram & 30gb hard
    > disk with plenty space free.
    >
    > Booting this machine is becoming something of a nightmare! I’m
    > pulling my hair out!!! Its frequently taking numerous attempts to get
    > a successful bootup. Keep getting blue screens saying "an excetion OE
    > has occurred at VxD VMM(01) then a couple of strings of numbers (which
    > I think maybe are locations on the HD) it also says "it may be
    > possible to continue press any key to continue" then after that
    > happens usually the same thing will repeatedly occur several times
    > then the PC will either stabilize or automatically reboot. When this
    > reboot thing occurs the same thing often follows untill eventually I
    > get a sucessful boot. It can take 10 attempts to get the PC up and
    > running! By the way these blue screens seem to occur right at the very
    > end of the boot up attempt, as all the icons in the sytem tray have
    > finally appeared.
    >
    > My knowledge of computers is scarce, thats why I’ve been searching for
    > help and eventually found here! What I have tried so far is to run a
    > full scan of my PC with both AVG and Mc Afee anti virus(both fully
    > upto date) - to no avail - I had initially suspected some sort of boot
    > virus but it seems not to be the case.
    >
    > Since then I’ve downloaded a program called Windows Registry Repair,
    > which has cost me a few £’s and that didn’t sort my problem as I’d
    > hoped it would. It has made the PC run a lot faster - like it used to
    > when it was new. That on its first scan of my registry found 511
    > errors! Which as I said has made a world of difference in the speed of
    > my PC and crashes are less frequent, but the boot up problem remains.
    >
    > I’m desperately hoping you guys can help! I don’t want to have to
    > reformat if at all possible but soon I think if I don’t find some
    > answers that will be the only choice.
    >
    > Oh yes also please could you tell me how to clear out some of the
    > unwanted icons in the system tray? Its getting rather full with 8 or 9
    > icons in there at start up! I usually end up closing them once the PC
    > has finally booted up."

    request
    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Boot-problems-help-ftopict344158.html
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1077558

    Ahh, I misunderstood. I guess this makes you a "graphic artist".

    "Henry" <spam@ftc.gov> wrote in message
    > I didn't rename the logo.sys file, I changed the contents of it, and
    resaved
    > it under the original filename. Windows displays it without any problem.
    >
    > --
    > Henry

    <SNIP>

Windows