The image is on a drive that is not recognised

Jussi

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

Hi!

I have been using Norton Ghost 2003 for making backups of a
Windows 2000 workstation for a couple of months now.
All went fine untill I changed the backup disk to a bigger one.
Now, when trying to backup, Ghost gives this error message:

"The image is on a drive that is not recognised.
Select an image on a different drive,
or restart the computer and try again."

I just did a live update and the version of Ghost is 2003.793.
The size of the destination partition is 127GB,
and the filesystem is NTFS.

If you have an idea about how to solve this puzzle I would
be happy to hear it!

Best Regards

Jussi

"Jussi" <jlucande@cc.hut.fi> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have been using Norton Ghost 2003 for making backups of a
> Windows 2000 workstation for a couple of months now.
> All went fine untill I changed the backup disk to a bigger one.
> Now, when trying to backup, Ghost gives this error message:
>
> "The image is on a drive that is not recognised.
> Select an image on a different drive,
> or restart the computer and try again."
>
> I just did a live update and the version of Ghost is 2003.793.
> The size of the destination partition is 127GB,
> and the filesystem is NTFS.
>
> If you have an idea about how to solve this puzzle I would
> be happy to hear it!
>
> Best Regards
>
> Jussi

I use a similar program (Acronis True image) and it creates incremental
backups UNLESS you specify that the whole image should be created. That is,
it only adds changes to the original image. My guess is that Ghost is
looking for the original (full) image to add incremental changes to, and
thus it is giving you an error message. Try creating a new (full)
mage. -Dave

br549

"Jussi" <jlucande@cc.hut.fi> wrote in message
Hi!

I have been using Norton Ghost 2003 for making backups of a
Windows 2000 workstation for a couple of months now.
All went fine untill I changed the backup disk to a bigger one.
Now, when trying to backup, Ghost gives this error message:

"The image is on a drive that is not recognised.
Select an image on a different drive,
or restart the computer and try again."

I just did a live update and the version of Ghost is 2003.793.
The size of the destination partition is 127GB,
and the filesystem is NTFS.

Are you starting Ghost from windows or from a bootable floppy? At what time
in the process do you get the error. During an image creation you are
required to pick the drive your imaging to and name that file, I would think
that if the add on drive was a problem it would not be listed as a choice.
The error msg sounds like one you would get on a restore and not an image
creation.

I have a similar problem.

The history is that I restored an old Ghost onto a new HD in a new
motherboard, with all the other HDs and peripherals the same as before.
After cleaning up the new installation I couldn't back it up with
Ghost as it no longer recognised my second HD. It gave the same error
message as the Original Poster. The second HD did show up in the "save
to..." browse window, but not in the source window. Uninstalling and
reinstalling Ghost 2003 did not solve it.

I'm sure that this HD was recognisable to Ghost on the old MoBo with
the old boot HD.

I've also got a single SATA DVD writer on this MoBo which I'd like to
use, but I guess that is a different problem.

Paddy