Blue screen error Error: 0D:0000:00010000

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 14, 2005 4:35:05 PM

In the past few days my system (with Windows Me) has gone to a blue screen at
the end of start up with Error: 0D :0000 :00010000 and the "Press any key to
continue" message. Upon pressing it returns to desktop and most things seem
to run OK.

It then occurs when I try to start Internet Explorer and also when I try to
view certain folders using Windows Explorer. It may also occur when I try to
perform other tasks but I haven't discovered those as yet !

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:24:31 AM

See of anything here helps.
Joan

GlennMC wrote:
> In the past few days my system (with Windows Me) has gone to a blue screen at
> the end of start up with Error: 0D :0000 :00010000 and the "Press any key to
> continue" message. Upon pressing it returns to desktop and most things seem
> to run OK.
>
> It then occurs when I try to start Internet Explorer and also when I try to
> view certain folders using Windows Explorer. It may also occur when I try to
> perform other tasks but I haven't discovered those as yet !
>
> Any help or thoughts would be appreciated
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:38:39 AM

Did you apply the Windows Update KB891711?? If so, read through the string
of posts prior to yours.......there are a number folks having a number of
different issues with this update. It is a running process, KB891711.exe,
that can be stopped in MSCONFIG and should show up in your Add/Remove
Programs.....if that becomes necessary.
Heirloom, old and smell latex again

"GlennMC" <GlennMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the past few days my system (with Windows Me) has gone to a blue screen
at
> the end of start up with Error: 0D :0000 :00010000 and the "Press any key
> continue" message. Upon pressing it returns to desktop and most things
seem
> to run OK.
>
> It then occurs when I try to start Internet Explorer and also when I try
> view certain folders using Windows Explorer. It may also occur when I try
> perform other tasks but I haven't discovered those as yet !
>
> Any help or thoughts would be appreciated
March 15, 2005 6:15:01 AM

Hey wow Heirloom thanks for that ! Problem fixed - removed KB891711 and hey
presto - no problems - also thanks to Joan Archer - got me into cleaning up
other non-essentials as well - my machine is almost singing again !

Quite impressed that a non-expert such as myself could fix a problem with
the help of some research and advice. Here's to my parnter who suggested that
I wouldn't fix it and "we should take it to the computer shop !!"

So without KB891711 am I risking anything ?

"heirloom" wrote:

> Did you apply the Windows Update KB891711?? If so, read through the string
> of posts prior to yours.......there are a number folks having a number of
> different issues with this update. It is a running process, KB891711.exe,
> that can be stopped in MSCONFIG and should show up in your Add/Remove
> Programs.....if that becomes necessary.
> Heirloom, old and smell latex again
>

> "GlennMC" <GlennMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In the past few days my system (with Windows Me) has gone to a blue screen
> at
> > the end of start up with Error: 0D :0000 :00010000 and the "Press any key
> > continue" message. Upon pressing it returns to desktop and most things
> seem
> > to run OK.
> >
> > It then occurs when I try to start Internet Explorer and also when I try
> > view certain folders using Windows Explorer. It may also occur when I try
> > perform other tasks but I haven't discovered those as yet !
> >
> > Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:48:15 PM

<lol> I'm starting to get worried about you with this *latex* fixation <vbg>
Joan

heirloom wrote:

> Heirloom, old and smell latex again

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 3:06:47 PM

Glad to be able to help, and tell your partner that coming here is
cheaper than the computer shop and things can usually get fixed <g>
Joan

GlennMC wrote:
> Hey wow Heirloom thanks for that ! Problem fixed - removed KB891711 and hey
> presto - no problems - also thanks to Joan Archer - got me into cleaning up
> other non-essentials as well - my machine is almost singing again !
>
> Quite impressed that a non-expert such as myself could fix a problem with
> the help of some research and advice. Here's to my parnter who suggested that
> I wouldn't fix it and "we should take it to the computer shop !!"
>
> So without KB891711 am I risking anything ?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:09:01 AM

There is a limited risk of a virus infection from not having the patch
installed - providing you are diligent in updating your AV scanner and in
following Safe Hex guidelines, then you should be OK without it until such
time as MS get off their proverbials and patch the patch!<g>

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> Hey wow Heirloom thanks for that ! Problem fixed - removed KB891711 and
> hey
> presto - no problems - also thanks to Joan Archer - got me into cleaning
> up
> other non-essentials as well - my machine is almost singing again !
>
> Quite impressed that a non-expert such as myself could fix a problem with
> the help of some research and advice. Here's to my parnter who suggested
> that
> I wouldn't fix it and "we should take it to the computer shop !!"
>
> So without KB891711 am I risking anything ?
>
> "heirloom" wrote:
>
>> Did you apply the Windows Update KB891711?? If so, read through the
>> string
>> of posts prior to yours.......there are a number folks having a number of
>> different issues with this update. It is a running process,
>> KB891711.exe,
>> that can be stopped in MSCONFIG and should show up in your Add/Remove
>> Programs.....if that becomes necessary.
>> Heirloom, old and smell latex again
>>

>> "GlennMC" <GlennMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In the past few days my system (with Windows Me) has gone to a blue
>> > screen
>> at
>> > the end of start up with Error: 0D :0000 :00010000 and the "Press any
>> > key
>> > continue" message. Upon pressing it returns to desktop and most things
>> seem
>> > to run OK.
>> >
>> > It then occurs when I try to start Internet Explorer and also when I
>> > try
>> > view certain folders using Windows Explorer. It may also occur when I
>> > try
>> > perform other tasks but I haven't discovered those as yet !
>> >
>> > Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:09:02 AM

Thanks for the assist, Noel. Just got back to reading the NG......
Heirloom, old and too many things to do

news:o Vfw6PbKFHA.2688@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

!