  • System Restore
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 14, 2005 9:19:01 PM

I don't have System Tools under Start/ programs / Accessories on my PC, ergo
i don't know how to do a system restore!
Please help.

More about : system tools missing

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:28:41 AM

Start/Settings/Control Panel/click on Add/Remove Programs/click on the
Windows Setup tab/scroll down to "System Tools" and make sure there is a
check mark in the box to the left, Apply and OK out. That should restore
your System Tools. However, Restore is not one of the tools, as such. Look
for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\RSTRUI.EXE and add a shortcut to RSTRUI.EXE in
the System Tools menu.
Heirloom, old and hope that does it

"mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I don't have System Tools under Start/ programs / Accessories on my PC,
ergo
> i don't know how to do a system restore!
> Please help.

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:31:01 PM

There is a checkmark in this box, but it still didn't work.
Tried to find RSTRUI.EXE but doesn't seem to exist on my pc.
Any other ideas?
Cheers

"heirloom" wrote:

> Start/Settings/Control Panel/click on Add/Remove Programs/click on the
> Windows Setup tab/scroll down to "System Tools" and make sure there is a
> check mark in the box to the left, Apply and OK out. That should restore
> your System Tools. However, Restore is not one of the tools, as such. Look
> for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\RSTRUI.EXE and add a shortcut to RSTRUI.EXE in
> the System Tools menu.
> Heirloom, old and hope that does it
>

> "mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I don't have System Tools under Start/ programs / Accessories on my PC,
> ergo
> > i don't know how to do a system restore!
> > Please help.

March 16, 2005 2:26:43 AM

I am at a loss on why you don't have the System Tools, if the check box is
filled.

In re: to the RSTRUI file.......
Should be in C:\Windows\System\Restore.........do you have a Restore folder?
Also, do you have Statemgr checked in MSCONFIG, Startup? If so, you should
be able to extract a new copy from the .cab files. RSTRUI.EXE is located in
Win_17.cab in C:\Windows\Options\Install. Here are the procedures for
extracting a .cab file:

KB 129605 - "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=129605).
KB 265371 - "How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows Me"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=265371)
KB 259687 - "Unable to Extract Files Using the System Configuration Utility"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=259687)
KB 267465 - "Unable to Extract Cabinet Files to Certain Locations"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=267465)

The Restore folder should contain other critical items such at
Statemgr.exe, Stmgr.exe, and other applications. If you don't have the
Restore folder or are unable to get the System Tools, we are going to need a
guru on this......I have reached, probably gone beyond, my level of
expertise. I am sorry I couldn't put you right on the cause, but, I am sure
one of the "all knowing" will be here shortly to assist. Hang in
there.....I'll throw up a flag.
Heirloom, old and out of ideas

> There is a checkmark in this box, but it still didn't work.
> Tried to find RSTRUI.EXE but doesn't seem to exist on my pc.
> Any other ideas?
> Cheers
>
> "heirloom" wrote:
>
> > Start/Settings/Control Panel/click on Add/Remove Programs/click on the
> > Windows Setup tab/scroll down to "System Tools" and make sure there is a
> > check mark in the box to the left, Apply and OK out. That should
restore
> > your System Tools. However, Restore is not one of the tools, as such.
Look
> > for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\RSTRUI.EXE and add a shortcut to
RSTRUI.EXE in
> > the System Tools menu.
> > Heirloom, old and hope that does it
> >

> > "mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I don't have System Tools under Start/ programs / Accessories on my
PC,
> > ergo
> > > i don't know how to do a system restore!
> > > Please help.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 5:11:24 PM

The first thing to establish is whether the System Tools folder is really
missing or whether it has inadvertently been dragged to another location.
Something easily done and not always obvious when it happens. I would
suggest the OP look in the other Start | Programs | Accessories folders
and if that still fails to use Windows Explorer's search ability and look
for the file "defragmenter" (don't enter the quotes when searching). The
only hit should be shortcut called "Disk Defragmenter" which belongs in
the Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools folder. Note the
location of this shortcut when located using Search and then, using
Explorer, move the folder containing the shortcut to its rightful location
which on a default install is C:\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools

As for rstrui.exe being missing, heirloom has covered that and I would be
very surprised indeed to read that it and the rest of the contents of the
windows\system\restore folder were to be missing.

Once the OP has located rstrui.exe then there are several ways of using
system restore other than by using the missing shortcut in the System
Tools folder including:
a) From the link in Help & Support
b) From the link on the General tab of MSConfig (Start, Run, enter
MSConfig and click OK),
c) By entering C:\windows\system\rstrui.exe in the Start | Run box and
clicking OK, or,
d) By directly double clicking the file rstrui.exe (Use Windows Explorer,
rstrui.exe is in the windows\system\restore folder).
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:

> I am at a loss on why you don't have the System Tools, if the check
> box is filled.
>
> In re: to the RSTRUI file.......
> Should be in C:\Windows\System\Restore.........do you have a Restore
> folder? Also, do you have Statemgr checked in MSCONFIG, Startup? If
> so, you should be able to extract a new copy from the .cab files.
> RSTRUI.EXE is located in Win_17.cab in C:\Windows\Options\Install.
> Here are the procedures for extracting a .cab file:
>
> KB 129605 - "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=129605).
> KB 265371 - "How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows
> Me" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=265371)
> KB 259687 - "Unable to Extract Files Using the System Configuration
> Utility" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=259687)
> KB 267465 - "Unable to Extract Cabinet Files to Certain Locations"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=267465)
>
> The Restore folder should contain other critical items such at
> Statemgr.exe, Stmgr.exe, and other applications. If you don't have
> the Restore folder or are unable to get the System Tools, we are
> going to need a guru on this......I have reached, probably gone
> beyond, my level of expertise. I am sorry I couldn't put you right
> on the cause, but, I am sure one of the "all knowing" will be here
> shortly to assist. Hang in there.....I'll throw up a flag.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 5:59:38 PM

Thanks, Mike. You shed some much needed light on the situation.
Heirloom, old and semi-lucid

> [...]
> > (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=129605).
> > KB 265371 - "How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows
> > Me" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=265371)
> > KB 259687 - "Unable to Extract Files Using the System Configuration
> > Utility" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=259687)
> > KB 267465 - "Unable to Extract Cabinet Files to Certain Locations"
> > (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=267465)
> >
> > The Restore folder should contain other critical items such at
> > Statemgr.exe, Stmgr.exe, and other applications. If you don't have
> > the Restore folder or are unable to get the System Tools, we are
> > going to need a guru on this......I have reached, probably gone
> > beyond, my level of expertise. I am sorry I couldn't put you right
> > on the cause, but, I am sure one of the "all knowing" will be here
> > shortly to assist. Hang in there.....I'll throw up a flag.

March 16, 2005 7:02:30 PM

HL wrote:-
> I am at a loss on why you don't have the System Tools, if the check box is
> filled.

Me too HL, but wonder if the old ploy - 'uncheck it, reboot and re-check
it - several times if necessary' - might just work for Mr S.

However, there are a couple of other methods of running System Restore
without having to go via the System Tools menu. Probably the easiest is as
follows :-

Boot up in Safe Mode and when the 'Help Console' (eventually) appears, you
will see SR halfway down the page.

(To boot into Safe Mode, press and hold the Shift key immediately on
powering-up your computer, or use the Ctrl or F8 keys and select Safe Mode
from the menu)

Good luck - but a little suspicious as to why these tools/files are
missing - and *maybe* SR will bring them back!!

Mart

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
>I am at a loss on why you don't have the System Tools, if the check box is
> filled.
>
> In re: to the RSTRUI file.......
> Should be in C:\Windows\System\Restore.........do you have a Restore
> folder?
> Also, do you have Statemgr checked in MSCONFIG, Startup? If so, you
> should
> be able to extract a new copy from the .cab files. RSTRUI.EXE is located
> in
> Win_17.cab in C:\Windows\Options\Install. Here are the procedures for
> extracting a .cab file:
>
> KB 129605 - "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=129605).
> KB 265371 - "How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows Me"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=265371)
> KB 259687 - "Unable to Extract Files Using the System Configuration
> Utility"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=259687)
> KB 267465 - "Unable to Extract Cabinet Files to Certain Locations"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=267465)
>
> The Restore folder should contain other critical items such at
> Statemgr.exe, Stmgr.exe, and other applications. If you don't have the
> Restore folder or are unable to get the System Tools, we are going to need
> guru on this......I have reached, probably gone beyond, my level of
> expertise. I am sorry I couldn't put you right on the cause, but, I am
> sure
> one of the "all knowing" will be here shortly to assist. Hang in
> there.....I'll throw up a flag.
> Heirloom, old and out of ideas
>
> "mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> There is a checkmark in this box, but it still didn't work.
>> Tried to find RSTRUI.EXE but doesn't seem to exist on my pc.
>> Any other ideas?
>> Cheers
>>
>> "heirloom" wrote:
>>
>> > Start/Settings/Control Panel/click on Add/Remove Programs/click on the
>> > Windows Setup tab/scroll down to "System Tools" and make sure there is
>> > check mark in the box to the left, Apply and OK out. That should
> restore
>> > your System Tools. However, Restore is not one of the tools, as such.
> Look
>> > for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\RSTRUI.EXE and add a shortcut to
> RSTRUI.EXE in
>> > the System Tools menu.
>> > Heirloom, old and hope that does it
>> >

>> > "mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> PC,
>> > ergo

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:02:31 PM

I agree, Mart. However, I doubt that the OP has any Restore points to
utilize, based on the symptoms. I sent a message to Mike M., our resident
SR guru, hoping he might shed some light on this.

I thought about the other methods of initiating SR, but, without the
Rstrui.exe file, I not sure it would work....hence, the reference to
extracting the new file. At this point, I am not even sure that the Restore
folder exists.....which would rule out other apps, i.e. Statemgr. No doubt,
we need Mike. Thanks for you input.
Heirloom, old and patiently waiting for Mike

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o Yx$PGkKFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > KB 267465 - "Unable to Extract Cabinet Files to Certain Locations"
> > (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=267465)
> >
> > The Restore folder should contain other critical items such at
> > Statemgr.exe, Stmgr.exe, and other applications. If you don't have the
> > Restore folder or are unable to get the System Tools, we are going to
need
> > guru on this......I have reached, probably gone beyond, my level of
> > expertise. I am sorry I couldn't put you right on the cause, but, I am
> > sure
> > one of the "all knowing" will be here shortly to assist. Hang in
> > there.....I'll throw up a flag.
> > Heirloom, old and out of ideas
> >
> > "mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> There is a checkmark in this box, but it still didn't work.
> >> Tried to find RSTRUI.EXE but doesn't seem to exist on my pc.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:16:39 PM

As a simple beginning, I suggest installing the free process viewer, Process
Explorer, and confirm that Stmgr.exe, the State Manager, is executing, as
required by SFP and SR.
www.sysinternals.com

Then proceed with tracking down the missing Restore folder, if still around,
as previously described.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message

<SNIP>
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:08:20 AM

heirloom <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Mike. You shed some much needed light on the situation.
> Heirloom, old and semi-lucid

Not really H, I just tried to approach the problem from a different
viewpoint as there was nothing to fault in what you had already suggested.
--
Mike
!