Re-install ME

I have an older PC which came with 98,2ED. Subsequently I upgraded to
Windows ME. The CD is the upgrade version which will search for an earlier
version of Windows before installing. I would like to have a totally clean
install of ME as I attempt to track down the source of some problems.

Is there any way I can perform a clean install of ME to a re-formatted drive
without first installing 98,2ED?

Peter.
13 answers Last reply
More about install

    Peter,

    You can install from scratch as long as you have a legitimate Win98 CD to validate the upgrade.

    During install you will be asked to put the Win98 (or 98SE) CD in the drive. The install process will check it and you just continue with the install.

    Be aware, that most users do not consider WinME an upgrade against Win98SE.

    Win98SE is far better than WinME. This link will help you understand why:

    WHICH WINDOWS DO I CHOOSE?
    http://www.aumha.org/a/whichwin.htm

    Good luck,

    Zee

    "PVR" <peterv666@nospam.adelphia.com> wrote in message news:IqqdnV0KF5JXjarfRVn-qw@adelphia.com...
    > I have an older PC which came with 98,2ED. Subsequently I upgraded to
    > Windows ME. The CD is the upgrade version which will search for an earlier
    > version of Windows before installing. I would like to have a totally clean
    > install of ME as I attempt to track down the source of some problems.
    >
    > Is there any way I can perform a clean install of ME to a re-formatted drive
    > without first installing 98,2ED?
    >
    > Peter.

    On the contrary Win Me is in many respects a vastly better operating
    system than 98SE if only for the introduction of system file protection
    and system restore however for those running older hardware requiring real
    mode drivers or other hardware where the developer never got round to
    writing the necessary Win Me compatible drivers then the user should stick
    with Win 98SE.

    Jim Eshelman never liked Win Me, in part I feel due to his attempting to
    run and use crippleware from Symantec on his system. For example he
    totally ignores the benefits of system file protection and system restore
    in Win Me when compared with 98SE and grossly exaggerates system resource
    issues where Win Me, whilst heavier on resources than 98SE, works much
    better than 98SE as resources drop remaining usable with free resources
    way below levels that cause problems in 98SE.
    In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:

    > You can install from scratch as long as you have a legitimate Win98
    > CD to validate the upgrade.
    >
    > During install you will be asked to put the Win98 (or 98SE) CD in the
    > drive. The install process will check it and you just continue with
    > the install.
    >
    > Be aware, that most users do not consider WinME an upgrade against
    > Win98SE.
    >
    > Win98SE is far better than WinME. This link will help you understand
    > why:
    >
    > WHICH WINDOWS DO I CHOOSE?
    > http://www.aumha.org/a/whichwin.htm

    LOL.....

    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message news:ufWPsOYKFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > On the contrary Win Me is in many respects a vastly better operating
    > system than 98SE if only for the introduction of system file protection
    > and system restore however for those running older hardware requiring real
    > mode drivers or other hardware where the developer never got round to
    > writing the necessary Win Me compatible drivers then the user should stick
    > with Win 98SE.
    >
    > Jim Eshelman never liked Win Me, in part I feel due to his attempting to
    > run and use crippleware from Symantec on his system. For example he
    > totally ignores the benefits of system file protection and system restore
    > in Win Me when compared with 98SE and grossly exaggerates system resource
    > issues where Win Me, whilst heavier on resources than 98SE, works much
    > better than 98SE as resources drop remaining usable with free resources
    > way below levels that cause problems in 98SE.
    > In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
    >
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    > > You can install from scratch as long as you have a legitimate Win98
    > > CD to validate the upgrade.
    > >
    > > During install you will be asked to put the Win98 (or 98SE) CD in the
    > > drive. The install process will check it and you just continue with
    > > the install.
    > >
    > > Be aware, that most users do not consider WinME an upgrade against
    > > Win98SE.
    > >
    > > Win98SE is far better than WinME. This link will help you understand
    > > why:
    > >
    > > WHICH WINDOWS DO I CHOOSE?
    > > http://www.aumha.org/a/whichwin.htm

    Seems to me that you possibly have a problem in accepting that just
    occasionally you might be wrong and not really understand the subject you
    are talking about. <g>

    BTW I'm still waiting for details of a virus/worm or other malware that
    spontaneously or otherwise runs from within the system restore archive.
    One may well exist and this behaviour could be a problem in the future
    however until then your report would be the first reported instance.
    In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:

    > LOL.....

    ROFL....

    I wonder how can someone even dare think somewhat differently from Mr. Mike Maltby...??

    We should gag Jim Eshelman for not liking WinME and using Symantec...

    Took coat and left, but still laughing from this corner of the World.

    Zee

    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message news:%23S8DgzYKFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Seems to me that you possibly have a problem in accepting that just
    > occasionally you might be wrong and not really understand the subject you
    > are talking about. <g>
    >
    > BTW I'm still waiting for details of a virus/worm or other malware that
    > spontaneously or otherwise runs from within the system restore archive.
    > One may well exist and this behaviour could be a problem in the future
    > however until then your report would be the first reported instance.
    > In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
    >
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    > > LOL.....

    Jim Eshelman is a very dear friend of mine, and for whom I have such respect
    for his Windows knowledge and his graciousness as it rises to a hair's
    breadth of that for Alex Nichol.

    Nevertheless, I concur, without reservation, with Mike Maltby's opinion of
    WinME's strength's and Jim's misguided derogation of WinME. It is my very
    considered opinion that, compared to any Win98, WinME has better memory
    management, a better swapfile, better 16-bit system resource management, and
    its SFP and SR make it far superior for the casual (and power) user who must
    run Win9X, rather than any XP. These benefits greatly outweigh its larger
    footprint.

    And the problems of several Symantec products with WinME, esp. SR, are well
    documented and are undeniable, IMO.

    If this point of view makes me as ignorant as Mike Maltby, I definitely can
    live with it.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    ROFL....

    I wonder how can someone even dare think somewhat differently from Mr. Mike
    Maltby...??

    We should gag Jim Eshelman for not liking WinME and using Symantec...

    Took coat and left, but still laughing from this corner of the World.

    Zee

    > Seems to me that you possibly have a problem in accepting that just
    > occasionally you might be wrong and not really understand the subject you
    > are talking about. <g>
    >
    > BTW I'm still waiting for details of a virus/worm or other malware that
    > spontaneously or otherwise runs from within the system restore archive.
    > One may well exist and this behaviour could be a problem in the future
    > however until then your report would be the first reported instance.
    > In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
    >
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    > > LOL.....

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:32:38 GMT,"Jack E Martinelli"
    <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> penned this whopper in
    microsoft.public.windowsme.general

    > Jim Eshelman is a very dear friend of mine, and for whom I have such
    > respect for his Windows knowledge and his graciousness as it rises to
    > a hair's breadth of that for Alex Nichol.
    >
    > Nevertheless, I concur, without reservation, with Mike Maltby's
    > opinion of WinME's strength's and Jim's misguided derogation of WinME.
    > It is my very considered opinion that, compared to any Win98, WinME
    > has better memory management, a better swapfile, better 16-bit system
    > resource management, and its SFP and SR make it far superior for the
    > casual (and power) user who must run Win9X, rather than any XP. These
    > benefits greatly outweigh its larger footprint.
    >
    > And the problems of several Symantec products with WinME, esp. SR, are
    > well documented and are undeniable, IMO.
    >
    > If this point of view makes me as ignorant as Mike Maltby, I
    > definitely can live with it.
    > -

    Here, here!

    --
    "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
    it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."

    Mike

    Feel free to continue to make an ass of yourself since its nothing new.
    On the other hand why not stick around and learn something from those who
    post here.

    BTW still waiting for details of that virus. Your continued silence
    suggests that you now accept that none such exists.
    In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:

    > ROFL....
    >
    > I wonder how can someone even dare think somewhat differently from
    > Mr. Mike Maltby...??
    >
    > We should gag Jim Eshelman for not liking WinME and using Symantec...
    >
    > Took coat and left, but still laughing from this corner of the World.

    Mike,

    You're killing me... Stop, please.

    > Feel free to continue to make an ass of yourself since its nothing new.
    > On the other hand why not stick around and learn something from those who
    > post here.
    >
    > BTW still waiting for details of that virus. Your continued silence
    > suggests that you now accept that none such exists.
    > In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
    >
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    > > ROFL....
    > >
    > > I wonder how can someone even dare think somewhat differently from
    > > Mr. Mike Maltby...??
    > >
    > > We should gag Jim Eshelman for not liking WinME and using Symantec...
    > >
    > > Took coat and left, but still laughing from this corner of the World.

    I see you are still unable to provide the information requested. It
    appears you know less about Win Me and system restore than you thought.
    Perhaps you should confine your postings to areas where you have expertise
    and are able to provide genuine help - something I know you can do from
    other postings of yours.
    --

    > Be aware, that most users do not consider WinME an upgrade against
    > Win98SE.
    >
    > Win98SE is far better than WinME. This link will help you understand
    > why:

    As a user who HAS made the upgrade from Win98 FE to Win ME, I will NEVER
    return to 98. ME is so much smoother than 98 and I (as someone who
    'experiments' with lots of software) really love ME's Sytem Restore.

    I echo the comment of another poster .....

    If this point of view makes me as ignorant as Mike Maltby, I
    definitely can live with it.

    --
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
    safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in

    Hello Hello <g>
    Joan

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > "Listen very carefully - I will say this only once."... (the UK readers will
    > know the reference!)

    Jack,

    Thank you for your post.

    I do believe you correctly support your point of view.

    No problems.

    And thank you also for not trying to persuade me.

    Zee

Microsoft Windows