Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Re-install ME

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:44:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I have an older PC which came with 98,2ED. Subsequently I upgraded to
Windows ME. The CD is the upgrade version which will search for an earlier
version of Windows before installing. I would like to have a totally clean
install of ME as I attempt to track down the source of some problems.

Is there any way I can perform a clean install of ME to a re-formatted drive
without first installing 98,2ED?

Peter.

More about : install

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 7:57:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Peter,

You can install from scratch as long as you have a legitimate Win98 CD to validate the upgrade.

During install you will be asked to put the Win98 (or 98SE) CD in the drive. The install process will check it and you just continue with the install.

Be aware, that most users do not consider WinME an upgrade against Win98SE.

Win98SE is far better than WinME. This link will help you understand why:

WHICH WINDOWS DO I CHOOSE?
http://www.aumha.org/a/whichwin.htm

Good luck,

Zee



"PVR" <peterv666@nospam.adelphia.com> wrote in message news:IqqdnV0KF5JXjarfRVn-qw@adelphia.com...
> I have an older PC which came with 98,2ED. Subsequently I upgraded to
> Windows ME. The CD is the upgrade version which will search for an earlier
> version of Windows before installing. I would like to have a totally clean
> install of ME as I attempt to track down the source of some problems.
>
> Is there any way I can perform a clean install of ME to a re-formatted drive
> without first installing 98,2ED?
>
> Peter.
>
>
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:20:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On the contrary Win Me is in many respects a vastly better operating
system than 98SE if only for the introduction of system file protection
and system restore however for those running older hardware requiring real
mode drivers or other hardware where the developer never got round to
writing the necessary Win Me compatible drivers then the user should stick
with Win 98SE.

Jim Eshelman never liked Win Me, in part I feel due to his attempting to
run and use crippleware from Symantec on his system. For example he
totally ignores the benefits of system file protection and system restore
in Win Me when compared with 98SE and grossly exaggerates system resource
issues where Win Me, whilst heavier on resources than 98SE, works much
better than 98SE as resources drop remaining usable with free resources
way below levels that cause problems in 98SE.
--
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:

> You can install from scratch as long as you have a legitimate Win98
> CD to validate the upgrade.
>
> During install you will be asked to put the Win98 (or 98SE) CD in the
> drive. The install process will check it and you just continue with
> the install.
>
> Be aware, that most users do not consider WinME an upgrade against
> Win98SE.
>
> Win98SE is far better than WinME. This link will help you understand
> why:
>
> WHICH WINDOWS DO I CHOOSE?
> http://www.aumha.org/a/whichwin.htm
Related resources
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:35:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

LOL.....


"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message news:ufWPsOYKFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> On the contrary Win Me is in many respects a vastly better operating
> system than 98SE if only for the introduction of system file protection
> and system restore however for those running older hardware requiring real
> mode drivers or other hardware where the developer never got round to
> writing the necessary Win Me compatible drivers then the user should stick
> with Win 98SE.
>
> Jim Eshelman never liked Win Me, in part I feel due to his attempting to
> run and use crippleware from Symantec on his system. For example he
> totally ignores the benefits of system file protection and system restore
> in Win Me when compared with 98SE and grossly exaggerates system resource
> issues where Win Me, whilst heavier on resources than 98SE, works much
> better than 98SE as resources drop remaining usable with free resources
> way below levels that cause problems in 98SE.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> > You can install from scratch as long as you have a legitimate Win98
> > CD to validate the upgrade.
> >
> > During install you will be asked to put the Win98 (or 98SE) CD in the
> > drive. The install process will check it and you just continue with
> > the install.
> >
> > Be aware, that most users do not consider WinME an upgrade against
> > Win98SE.
> >
> > Win98SE is far better than WinME. This link will help you understand
> > why:
> >
> > WHICH WINDOWS DO I CHOOSE?
> > http://www.aumha.org/a/whichwin.htm
>
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:28:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Seems to me that you possibly have a problem in accepting that just
occasionally you might be wrong and not really understand the subject you
are talking about. <g>

BTW I'm still waiting for details of a virus/worm or other malware that
spontaneously or otherwise runs from within the system restore archive.
One may well exist and this behaviour could be a problem in the future
however until then your report would be the first reported instance.
--
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:

> LOL.....
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:45:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

ROFL....

I wonder how can someone even dare think somewhat differently from Mr. Mike Maltby...??

We should gag Jim Eshelman for not liking WinME and using Symantec...

Took coat and left, but still laughing from this corner of the World.

Zee


"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message news:%23S8DgzYKFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Seems to me that you possibly have a problem in accepting that just
> occasionally you might be wrong and not really understand the subject you
> are talking about. <g>
>
> BTW I'm still waiting for details of a virus/worm or other malware that
> spontaneously or otherwise runs from within the system restore archive.
> One may well exist and this behaviour could be a problem in the future
> however until then your report would be the first reported instance.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> > LOL.....
>
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:45:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Jim Eshelman is a very dear friend of mine, and for whom I have such respect
for his Windows knowledge and his graciousness as it rises to a hair's
breadth of that for Alex Nichol.

Nevertheless, I concur, without reservation, with Mike Maltby's opinion of
WinME's strength's and Jim's misguided derogation of WinME. It is my very
considered opinion that, compared to any Win98, WinME has better memory
management, a better swapfile, better 16-bit system resource management, and
its SFP and SR make it far superior for the casual (and power) user who must
run Win9X, rather than any XP. These benefits greatly outweigh its larger
footprint.

And the problems of several Symantec products with WinME, esp. SR, are well
documented and are undeniable, IMO.

If this point of view makes me as ignorant as Mike Maltby, I definitely can
live with it.
--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:eVDcm8YKFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

ROFL....

I wonder how can someone even dare think somewhat differently from Mr. Mike
Maltby...??

We should gag Jim Eshelman for not liking WinME and using Symantec...

Took coat and left, but still laughing from this corner of the World.

Zee


"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:%23S8DgzYKFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Seems to me that you possibly have a problem in accepting that just
> occasionally you might be wrong and not really understand the subject you
> are talking about. <g>
>
> BTW I'm still waiting for details of a virus/worm or other malware that
> spontaneously or otherwise runs from within the system restore archive.
> One may well exist and this behaviour could be a problem in the future
> however until then your report would be the first reported instance.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> > LOL.....
>
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:45:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:32:38 GMT,"Jack E Martinelli"
<jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> penned this whopper in
microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> Jim Eshelman is a very dear friend of mine, and for whom I have such
> respect for his Windows knowledge and his graciousness as it rises to
> a hair's breadth of that for Alex Nichol.
>
> Nevertheless, I concur, without reservation, with Mike Maltby's
> opinion of WinME's strength's and Jim's misguided derogation of WinME.
> It is my very considered opinion that, compared to any Win98, WinME
> has better memory management, a better swapfile, better 16-bit system
> resource management, and its SFP and SR make it far superior for the
> casual (and power) user who must run Win9X, rather than any XP. These
> benefits greatly outweigh its larger footprint.
>
> And the problems of several Symantec products with WinME, esp. SR, are
> well documented and are undeniable, IMO.
>
> If this point of view makes me as ignorant as Mike Maltby, I
> definitely can live with it.
> -

Here, here!

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

Mike
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:32:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Feel free to continue to make an ass of yourself since its nothing new.
On the other hand why not stick around and learn something from those who
post here.

BTW still waiting for details of that virus. Your continued silence
suggests that you now accept that none such exists.
--
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:

> ROFL....
>
> I wonder how can someone even dare think somewhat differently from
> Mr. Mike Maltby...??
>
> We should gag Jim Eshelman for not liking WinME and using Symantec...
>
> Took coat and left, but still laughing from this corner of the World.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:46:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mike,

You're killing me... Stop, please.




"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:eI1e6WZKFHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Feel free to continue to make an ass of yourself since its nothing new.
> On the other hand why not stick around and learn something from those who
> post here.
>
> BTW still waiting for details of that virus. Your continued silence
> suggests that you now accept that none such exists.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> > ROFL....
> >
> > I wonder how can someone even dare think somewhat differently from
> > Mr. Mike Maltby...??
> >
> > We should gag Jim Eshelman for not liking WinME and using Symantec...
> >
> > Took coat and left, but still laughing from this corner of the World.
>
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:18:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I see you are still unable to provide the information requested. It
appears you know less about Win Me and system restore than you thought.
Perhaps you should confine your postings to areas where you have expertise
and are able to provide genuine help - something I know you can do from
other postings of yours.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> You're killing me... Stop, please.
March 16, 2005 12:40:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in
news:eBh6IAYKFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

>
> Be aware, that most users do not consider WinME an upgrade against
> Win98SE.
>
> Win98SE is far better than WinME. This link will help you understand
> why:
>

As a user who HAS made the upgrade from Win98 FE to Win ME, I will NEVER
return to 98. ME is so much smoother than 98 and I (as someone who
'experiments' with lots of software) really love ME's Sytem Restore.

I echo the comment of another poster .....

If this point of view makes me as ignorant as Mike Maltby, I
definitely can live with it.


--
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming
"WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:40:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hello Hello <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> "Listen very carefully - I will say this only once."... (the UK readers will
> know the reference!)
>
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 5:16:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Jack,

Thank you for your post.

I do believe you correctly support your point of view.

No problems.

And thank you also for not trying to persuade me.

Zee
!