Startup Disk

From a different thread I needed to boot up from a startup disk and,
naturally, couldn't find it. I went to control panel - add/remove - create
startup disk, clicked on "create disk" and nothing happened! The ok and
cancel buttons flicked to the grey for a second and that's all.
Fair enough, I can get a startup disk form other sources (and have) but why
can't I make one on my own PC?
Is there something I have to run (possibly unchecked from startup) to use
this facility?
I haven't been able to find anything about this on the Internet.
Thanks,
Hillneerg
I thought I had better post this as a new thread.
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about startup disk

    Can you access Add/Remove Programs | Windows Setup and select an entry and
    then click Details and navigate the entries? Have you used a registry
    cleaner? Look for and check whether you have the file BASE2.CAB on your
    hard disk (usually in either the Windows\Options\Install or
    Windows\Options\Cabs folder but could be located elsewhere)? Note though
    that whilst the absence of BASE2.CAB would prevent the creation of a boot
    disk it shouldn't cause the problems you report.
    In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > From a different thread I needed to boot up from a startup disk and,
    > naturally, couldn't find it. I went to control panel - add/remove -
    > create startup disk, clicked on "create disk" and nothing happened!
    > The ok and cancel buttons flicked to the grey for a second and that's
    > all.
    > Fair enough, I can get a startup disk form other sources (and have)
    > but why can't I make one on my own PC?
    > Is there something I have to run (possibly unchecked from startup) to
    > use this facility?
    > I haven't been able to find anything about this on the Internet.
    > Thanks,
    > Hillneerg
    > I thought I had better post this as a new thread.
    > Thanks

    Yes I can navigate the add/remove windows setup fine and select and navigate
    the entries and also use the add/remove section. I have the file (zip)
    Base2.cab in C:\windows\options\cabs.
    I do run Microsofts RegClean occasionally. I have tried using the "undo"
    part but the "create disk" still won't create anything.
    I don't believe that this has anything to do with the other problems
    experienced which are mentioned in the other threads. If memory serves me
    right, I had this problem quite some time ago but never followed it up as I
    got a boot disc from another source (which I have since found and stored
    safely). Just really a little concerned that the "built in" method doesn't
    work.
    The grey-out of the ok and cancel is what I would expect when clicking on
    the button as those options are removed (as the PC accepts the input) - they
    come right back again which shows that the command has not been accepted.
    That's not a fault (it's the same way the "apply" option is greyed out before
    you input a change in some things).
    Hillneerg

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Can you access Add/Remove Programs | Windows Setup and select an entry and
    > then click Details and navigate the entries? Have you used a registry
    > cleaner? Look for and check whether you have the file BASE2.CAB on your
    > hard disk (usually in either the Windows\Options\Install or
    > Windows\Options\Cabs folder but could be located elsewhere)? Note though
    > that whilst the absence of BASE2.CAB would prevent the creation of a boot
    > disk it shouldn't cause the problems you report.
    > In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
    >
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > From a different thread I needed to boot up from a startup disk and,
    > > naturally, couldn't find it. I went to control panel - add/remove -
    > > create startup disk, clicked on "create disk" and nothing happened!
    > > The ok and cancel buttons flicked to the grey for a second and that's
    > > all.
    > > Fair enough, I can get a startup disk form other sources (and have)
    > > but why can't I make one on my own PC?
    > > Is there something I have to run (possibly unchecked from startup) to
    > > use this facility?
    > > I haven't been able to find anything about this on the Internet.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Hillneerg
    > > I thought I had better post this as a new thread.
    > > Thanks

    It certainly sounds as if all should be OK and I don't think that RegClean
    is likely to have caused this problem. Sorry not to be able to provide a
    solution and would certainly welcome hearing of the solution if you manage
    to find one.

    Regards,
    In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Yes I can navigate the add/remove windows setup fine and select and
    > navigate the entries and also use the add/remove section. I have the
    > file (zip) Base2.cab in C:\windows\options\cabs.
    > I do run Microsofts RegClean occasionally. I have tried using the
    > "undo" part but the "create disk" still won't create anything.
    > I don't believe that this has anything to do with the other problems
    > experienced which are mentioned in the other threads. If memory
    > serves me right, I had this problem quite some time ago but never
    > followed it up as I got a boot disc from another source (which I have
    > since found and stored safely). Just really a little concerned that
    > the "built in" method doesn't work.
    > The grey-out of the ok and cancel is what I would expect when
    > clicking on the button as those options are removed (as the PC
    > accepts the input) - they come right back again which shows that the
    > command has not been accepted. That's not a fault (it's the same way
    > the "apply" option is greyed out before you input a change in some
    > things).

    I would concur with Mike's conclusion.

    However, I would suspect that you *may* have a damaged/corrupted registry
    and as you "had this problem quite some time ago but never followed it up"
    then you will no longer have useful a SR point or RB00X.CAB file to revert
    back to.

    It might be worth trying scanreg /fix to see if that helps.

    But if you think that it's a 'life or death' situation then a re-install
    (and all that entails) - and be sure to read Noels pages
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm - or, worse case, a clean
    install - Unless someone knows of a registry fix.

    As you've lived without it all this time, perhaps it may be easier to
    continue living with your existing, safely stored disk <g>

    Mart

    > It certainly sounds as if all should be OK and I don't think that RegClean
    > is likely to have caused this problem. Sorry not to be able to provide a
    > solution and would certainly welcome hearing of the solution if you manage
    > to find one.
    >
    > Regards,
    > In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
    >
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Hillneerg <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes I can navigate the add/remove windows setup fine and select and
    >> navigate the entries and also use the add/remove section. I have the
    >> file (zip) Base2.cab in C:\windows\options\cabs.
    >> I do run Microsofts RegClean occasionally. I have tried using the
    >> "undo" part but the "create disk" still won't create anything.
    >> I don't believe that this has anything to do with the other problems
    >> experienced which are mentioned in the other threads. If memory
    >> serves me right, I had this problem quite some time ago but never
    >> followed it up as I got a boot disc from another source (which I have
    >> since found and stored safely). Just really a little concerned that
    >> the "built in" method doesn't work.
    >> The grey-out of the ok and cancel is what I would expect when
    >> clicking on the button as those options are removed (as the PC
    >> accepts the input) - they come right back again which shows that the
    >> command has not been accepted. That's not a fault (it's the same way
    >> the "apply" option is greyed out before you input a change in some
    >> things).

    I think I can live without that facility - just annoying that it doesn't
    work. I usually have an up-to-date one from my Virus scanner anyway plus I
    now have a generic one from the Internet.
    As I have recently had to delete the _restore folder to get an update to
    take, I have no restore points other than 2 created yesterday.
    Thanks for the help.
    Hillneerg

Control Panel Microsoft Windows