System Restore

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 15, 2005 2:15:03 PM

Restore

I'm geting several bits of problems: Malware; trojan; one virus. Before
tackling them I looked at the system Restore and it does not seem right.
I can get the C:\_Restore\Temp file on Start|Search which gives me 28
folders with about 1.8 Mb. My slider is around 400 Mb. However I cant get
the file directly on "C" (my hidden files are shown), just the \_Restore file
= 4 files 64 Kb. Just in case, I created a new restore point yesterday,
hasnt changed the restore file (may be too soon). Appreciate any suggestion;
SR broken?
Tks in advance

--
cogito ergo sum

More about : system restore

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:53:12 PM

Paul,

To view the contents of the C:\_RESTORE folder you need to not only check
"Show hidden files and folder" found at Folder Options | View but also
UNcheck "Hide protected operating system files".

I am intrigued that you have folders in the C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder. This
is most unusual and the vast majority of files normally have names that
fir the format A??????.CPY with only a few having "regular" file names and
only very rarely a folder.

System Restore checkpoints are RG?????.CAB files and are located in the
C_\RESTORE\ARCHIVE folder with one RG cab file for each checkpoint. The
RG cab file being simply a copy of the registry and a few other files
saved when the check point was created.

Periodically the state manager will analyse the contents of the
_RESTORE\TEMP folder and archive those that might be required when
restoring to a checkpoint to FS*.CAB files in the _RESTORE\ARCHIVE folder
and delete those not required.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Restore
>
> I'm geting several bits of problems: Malware; trojan; one virus.
> Before tackling them I looked at the system Restore and it does not
> seem right.
> I can get the C:\_Restore\Temp file on Start|Search which gives me 28
> folders with about 1.8 Mb. My slider is around 400 Mb. However I
> cant get the file directly on "C" (my hidden files are shown), just
> the \_Restore file = 4 files 64 Kb. Just in case, I created a new
> restore point yesterday, hasnt changed the restore file (may be too
> soon). Appreciate any suggestion; SR broken?
> Tks in advance
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:53:13 PM

Mike

One day I'll learn to reread my post before hitting the mouse... I had your
post (Nov/04) when you fixed a problem with SCANREG /FIX.
I had it in front of my eyes, which reads "Paul - 3800 files in the
c:\_Restore hierarchy is a little excessive - but not impossibly so, etc". I
was so sure that both the button for "Show hidden files and folders" as well
as the check in "Hidden protected operating system files" were unchecked,
show that I should not rely as much on my memory at my age (76) ...On second
thought its lack of time...hum,..
I will try to handle the residue of the problems; Mike, thanks
for your patience, regards - Paul

"Mike M" wrote:

> Paul,
>
> To view the contents of the C:\_RESTORE folder you need to not only check
> "Show hidden files and folder" found at Folder Options | View but also
> UNcheck "Hide protected operating system files".
>
> I am intrigued that you have folders in the C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder. This
> is most unusual and the vast majority of files normally have names that
> fir the format A??????.CPY with only a few having "regular" file names and
> only very rarely a folder.
>
> System Restore checkpoints are RG?????.CAB files and are located in the
> C_\RESTORE\ARCHIVE folder with one RG cab file for each checkpoint. The
> RG cab file being simply a copy of the registry and a few other files
> saved when the check point was created.
>
> Periodically the state manager will analyse the contents of the
> _RESTORE\TEMP folder and archive those that might be required when
> restoring to a checkpoint to FS*.CAB files in the _RESTORE\ARCHIVE folder
> and delete those not required.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Restore
> >
> > I'm geting several bits of problems: Malware; trojan; one virus.
> > Before tackling them I looked at the system Restore and it does not
> > seem right.
> > I can get the C:\_Restore\Temp file on Start|Search which gives me 28
> > folders with about 1.8 Mb. My slider is around 400 Mb. However I
> > cant get the file directly on "C" (my hidden files are shown), just
> > the \_Restore file = 4 files 64 Kb. Just in case, I created a new
> > restore point yesterday, hasnt changed the restore file (may be too
> > soon). Appreciate any suggestion; SR broken?
> > Tks in advance

March 16, 2005 4:32:12 AM

Paul,

It's gratifying to see you here and working so hard. As a mere youngster
of 59 I hope I'm in a position to still be posting when I reach your
elevated status.

If there's anything you feel you want to follow up please feel free to
drop me a line (mikem@mvps.org).

Cheers,
--
Mike

PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> One day I'll learn to reread my post before hitting the mouse... I
> had your post (Nov/04) when you fixed a problem with SCANREG /FIX.
> I had it in front of my eyes, which reads "Paul - 3800 files in the
> c:\_Restore hierarchy is a little excessive - but not impossibly so,
> etc". I was so sure that both the button for "Show hidden files and
> folders" as well as the check in "Hidden protected operating system
> files" were unchecked, show that I should not rely as much on my
> memory at my age (76) ...On second thought its lack of time...hum,..
> I will try to handle the residue of the problems; Mike, thanks
> for your patience, regards - Paul
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 5:51:05 PM

Thanks for posting that link Jack, I have just read it and applaud the
writer, the body may be wearing out but at least the mind is still
working <g>
Joan

Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> Paul,
> One of my very best guides to how to grow older well just died (AN), but I
> am left with at least three, one of whom is here:
>
> "Finding stability, comfort in the face of life's tremors"
> By Donald M. Murray, Boston Globe Correspondent | March 15, 2005
> http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2005/0...
>
> You are not alone, esp. not so long as you can use the internet.
> I join Mike in wishing you well,
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:41:02 PM

Mike, and Jack and Joan, thanks for your good words. Just came back from a
very sad farewell, but life must go on. Your words were like a ray of
sunshine. Best Regards.

PAT (Paul)

"Mike M" wrote:

> Paul,
>
> To view the contents of the C:\_RESTORE folder you need to not only check
> "Show hidden files and folder" found at Folder Options | View but also
> UNcheck "Hide protected operating system files".
>
> I am intrigued that you have folders in the C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder. This
> is most unusual and the vast majority of files normally have names that
> fir the format A??????.CPY with only a few having "regular" file names and
> only very rarely a folder.
>
> System Restore checkpoints are RG?????.CAB files and are located in the
> C_\RESTORE\ARCHIVE folder with one RG cab file for each checkpoint. The
> RG cab file being simply a copy of the registry and a few other files
> saved when the check point was created.
>
> Periodically the state manager will analyse the contents of the
> _RESTORE\TEMP folder and archive those that might be required when
> restoring to a checkpoint to FS*.CAB files in the _RESTORE\ARCHIVE folder
> and delete those not required.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Restore
> >
> > I'm geting several bits of problems: Malware; trojan; one virus.
> > Before tackling them I looked at the system Restore and it does not
> > seem right.
> > I can get the C:\_Restore\Temp file on Start|Search which gives me 28
> > folders with about 1.8 Mb. My slider is around 400 Mb. However I
> > cant get the file directly on "C" (my hidden files are shown), just
> > the \_Restore file = 4 files 64 Kb. Just in case, I created a new
> > restore point yesterday, hasnt changed the restore file (may be too
> > soon). Appreciate any suggestion; SR broken?
> > Tks in advance

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:57:23 PM

So sorry to hear of your sad loss but hopefully things will get better,
I know that a year ago when I nearly lost my son the friends that I had
in here pulled me through the despair I was feeling and although at the
time no one gave him any hope he is now back working but still with
problems that need time to heal.
So don't forget we are here whenever you need us, and that goes for
fixing computer problems as well <vbg>
Joan

PAT (Paul) wrote:
> Mike, and Jack and Joan, thanks for your good words. Just came back from a
> very sad farewell, but life must go on. Your words were like a ray of
> sunshine. Best Regards.
>
> PAT (Paul)
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:57:24 PM

Paul, I can't say anything any better than Joan just has.
We are here for you in your deepest, darkest night.
So let the sun shine brightly!

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> So sorry to hear of your sad loss but hopefully things will get better,
> I know that a year ago when I nearly lost my son the friends that I had
> in here pulled me through the despair I was feeling and although at the
> time no one gave him any hope he is now back working but still with
> problems that need time to heal.
> So don't forget we are here whenever you need us, and that goes for
> fixing computer problems as well <vbg>
> Joan
>
> PAT (Paul) wrote:
> > Mike, and Jack and Joan, thanks for your good words. Just came back
from a
> > very sad farewell, but life must go on. Your words were like a ray of
> > sunshine. Best Regards.
> >
> > PAT (Paul)
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 2:52:24 AM

PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike, and Jack and Joan, thanks for your good words. Just came back
> from a very sad farewell, but life must go on. Your words were like a
> ray of sunshine. Best Regards.

Good to see you back Paul and my sympathies are with you at this time.

Last week was a bad time for me as well with the death of two close
personal friends.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 12:07:07 PM

We are getting to be that old, aren't we ... MVP Len Segal and I just had a
similar conversation.

> PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike, and Jack and Joan, thanks for your good words. Just came back
> > from a very sad farewell, but life must go on. Your words were like a
> > ray of sunshine. Best Regards.
>
> Good to see you back Paul and my sympathies are with you at this time.
>
> Last week was a bad time for me as well with the death of two close
> personal friends.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:39:56 PM

Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> We are getting to be that old, aren't we ...

Jack,

So we are and last week regrettably brought it home to me in spades.
:-( Of course the week having kicked off with my birthday didn't help
either.

> MVP Len Segal and I
> just had a similar conversation.
--
Mike
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:09:41 PM

"21 TODAY, 21 Today.....!"
<vbeg>

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
>
>> We are getting to be that old, aren't we ...
>
> Jack,
>
> So we are and last week regrettably brought it home to me in spades.
> :-( Of course the week having kicked off with my birthday didn't help
> either.
>
>> MVP Len Segal and I
>> just had a similar conversation.
> --
> Mike

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:23:56 PM

Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> "21 TODAY, 21 Today.....!"
> <vbeg>

Correct, assuming you are using base 29, although about two weeks late.
<g>
--
Mike
Anonymous

Hey - It's not my fault your calendar's screwy!<g>

Whatever - we have GOT to talk soon - I'm a little hassled at present, so
it's gotta be down to me....

Any time you're not available??

--

> Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>> "21 TODAY, 21 Today.....!"
>> <vbeg>
>
> Correct, assuming you are using base 29, although about two weeks late.
> <g>
> --
> Mike

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:58:36 PM

<lol> Well I got it right <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> Hey - It's not my fault your calendar's screwy!<g>

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:03:17 AM

Noel Paton wrote:

> Hey - It's not my fault your calendar's screwy!<g>
>
> Whatever - we have GOT to talk soon - I'm a little hassled at
> present, so it's gotta be down to me....

Sorry to hear that. Just don't let them get you down!

> Any time you're not available??

Between say 4am and 7am? More seriously I expect to be in all weekend.
Probably best not between say 2 or 3 and 9 in the morning.
--
Mike
Anonymous

Hokay, little Miss organised!!<BG>
I bow to your superior time-sense (or should that just be 'sense'??).

I have vague memories of being more timely in respect of Mike's anniversary
in another forum - but don't quote me on that!<g>

BTW - how the heck do I get to print across a Domain to a 'local Inkjet
Printer' in Win98 - anyone??

--

news:o edcB1$KFHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> <lol> Well I got it right <g>
> Joan
>
> Noel Paton wrote:
>> Hey - It's not my fault your calendar's screwy!<g>

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:17:46 AM

OK - Wilco (hopefully tomorrow)

--

> Noel Paton wrote:
>
>> Hey - It's not my fault your calendar's screwy!<g>
>>
>> Whatever - we have GOT to talk soon - I'm a little hassled at
>> present, so it's gotta be down to me....
>
> Sorry to hear that. Just don't let them get you down!
>
>> Any time you're not available??
>

> Between say 4am and 7am? More seriously I expect to be in all weekend.
> Probably best not between say 2 or 3 and 9 in the morning.
> --
> Mike
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:37:30 AM

Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Hokay, little Miss organised!!<BG>
> I bow to your superior time-sense (or should that just be 'sense'??).
>
> I have vague memories of being more timely in respect of Mike's
> anniversary in another forum - but don't quote me on that!<g>

Nope, but then again that forum isn't aware that I have a birthday. <g>

> BTW - how the heck do I get to print across a Domain to a 'local
> Inkjet Printer' in Win98 - anyone??

Ask Richard. :-)
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

<lol> Don't know about time-sense or even sense for that matter you'd
have to ask John about that <g>
As for your printing problem haven't a clue, I can share my laser with
John though but that's XP <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> Hokay, little Miss organised!!<BG>
> I bow to your superior time-sense (or should that just be 'sense'??).
>
> I have vague memories of being more timely in respect of Mike's anniversary
> in another forum - but don't quote me on that!<g>
>
> BTW - how the heck do I get to print across a Domain to a 'local Inkjet
> Printer' in Win98 - anyone??

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 9:26:53 AM

Good Idea!!