MSN Messenger

Why is it that after removing Msn Messenger from Add/Remove and diabling it
in startup, the program is still hanging around as if nothing happened?
It may turn out that I will be needing it for OE to work properly, but I
wanted to delete everything in order to find out.
I was amazed to discover how many files were still present on my machine,
even after the removal of the program.
Any ideas on accomplishing my goal?

Harry.

Do a Google "Groups" search for 'removing msn messenger'..........there is
more there than I wanted to copy.
Heirloom, old and mine is gone

> Why is it that after removing Msn Messenger from Add/Remove and diabling
it
> in startup, the program is still hanging around as if nothing happened?
> It may turn out that I will be needing it for OE to work properly, but I
> wanted to delete everything in order to find out.
> I was amazed to discover how many files were still present on my machine,
> even after the removal of the program.
> Any ideas on accomplishing my goal?
>
> Harry.

Heirloom:

All the advice on the removal of the messenger seems to be geared for WinXP.
So far I was unable to find a direct solution for WinME. Will have to keep
looking.
Thank you.

Harry

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> Do a Google "Groups" search for 'removing msn messenger'..........there is
> more there than I wanted to copy.
> Heirloom, old and mine is gone
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > Why is it that after removing Msn Messenger from Add/Remove and diabling
> it
> > in startup, the program is still hanging around as if nothing happened?
> > It may turn out that I will be needing it for OE to work properly, but I
> > wanted to delete everything in order to find out.
> > I was amazed to discover how many files were still present on my
machine,
> > even after the removal of the program.
> > Any ideas on accomplishing my goal?
> >
> > Harry.

There were references to removing it from Me, I saw some. Also, you could
refine your search..........Win Me Removing MSN Messenger......or something
similar. I did look at a few......seems like more trouble than it is
worth. Unless you need the space, it may be better to simply prevent it
from starting. I didn't delve into the intricacies of the procedure. Take
care.
Heirloom, old and email is enough

> Heirloom:
>
> All the advice on the removal of the messenger seems to be geared for
WinXP.
> So far I was unable to find a direct solution for WinME. Will have to keep
> looking.
> Thank you.
>
> Harry
>

> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > Do a Google "Groups" search for 'removing msn messenger'..........there
is
> > more there than I wanted to copy.
> > Heirloom, old and mine is gone
> >
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > > Why is it that after removing Msn Messenger from Add/Remove and
diabling
> > it
> > > in startup, the program is still hanging around as if nothing
happened?
> > > It may turn out that I will be needing it for OE to work properly, but
> > > wanted to delete everything in order to find out.
> > > I was amazed to discover how many files were still present on my
> machine,
> > > even after the removal of the program.
> > > Any ideas on accomplishing my goal?
> > >
> > > Harry.

If unable to proceed, begin here:

How to get help with MSN
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;823390

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------

> There were references to removing it from Me, I saw some. Also, you could
> refine your search..........Win Me Removing MSN Messenger......or
something
> similar. I did look at a few......seems like more trouble than it is
> worth. Unless you need the space, it may be better to simply prevent it
> from starting. I didn't delve into the intricacies of the procedure.
Take
> care.
> Heirloom, old and email is enough

Heirloom:

I do appreciate your assistance here very much.
I have removed or unchecked all relevant items and the messenger still comes
popping up.
Until I delete evry single remnant file, I will have to put up with this
pesty thing called "nuisance".
Thanks.

Harry, old and never done.

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Heirloom:
> >
> > All the advice on the removal of the messenger seems to be geared for
> WinXP.
> > So far I was unable to find a direct solution for WinME. Will have to
keep
> > looking.
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Harry
> >

> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > > Do a Google "Groups" search for 'removing msn
messenger'..........there
> is
> > > more there than I wanted to copy.
> > > Heirloom, old and mine is gone
> > >
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> diabling
> > > it
> happened?
> > machine,

Thank you, Jack.

Harry.

> If unable to proceed, begin here:
>
> How to get help with MSN
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;823390

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Heirloom:
> >
> > All the advice on the removal of the messenger seems to be geared for
> WinXP.
> > So far I was unable to find a direct solution for WinME. Will have to
keep
> > looking.
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Harry
> >

> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > > Do a Google "Groups" search for 'removing msn
messenger'..........there
> is
> > > more there than I wanted to copy.
> > > Heirloom, old and mine is gone
> > >
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> disabling it
> happened?
> machine,

Jack:

I thought it to be no more than fair, to tell you how I minimized the
affects of MSN Messenger on my OE6.
I had uninsstalled/removed the messenger, but still had it pop up at login
and at certain times giving me the error message about the service provider
having terminated the connection.
When I reinstalled MSN Messenger 6.2 and in the process changed some
settings in the options category, the icon appears in the system tray only
after I click on OE and outomatically opens it (OE that is), without the
error message, believe it or not. The messenger doesn't open, unless I do it
manually by clicking on the icon in systray.
I definitely can live with that.
Thank you Jack for keeping me 'on my toes'.

Harry, old and "taking a breather".

> If unable to proceed, begin here:
>
> How to get help with MSN
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;823390

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Heirloom:
> >
> > All the advice on the removal of the messenger seems to be geared for
> WinXP.
> > So far I was unable to find a direct solution for WinME. Will have to
keep
> > looking.
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Harry
> >

> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > > Do a Google "Groups" search for 'removing msn
messenger'..........there
> is
> > > more there than I wanted to copy.
> > > Heirloom, old and mine is gone
> > >
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> disabling it
> happened?
> machine,

Good for you, Harry.
Isn't it about time for your trip to Bermuda now?

> Jack:
>
> I thought it to be no more than fair, to tell you how I minimized the
> affects of MSN Messenger on my OE6.
> I had uninsstalled/removed the messenger, but still had it pop up at login
> and at certain times giving me the error message about the service
provider
> having terminated the connection.
> When I reinstalled MSN Messenger 6.2 and in the process changed some
> settings in the options category, the icon appears in the system tray only
> after I click on OE and outomatically opens it (OE that is), without the
> error message, believe it or not. The messenger doesn't open, unless I do
it
> manually by clicking on the icon in systray.
> I definitely can live with that.
> Thank you Jack for keeping me 'on my toes'.
>
> Harry, old and "taking a breather".

<SNIP>

Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> Good for you, Harry.
> Isn't it about time for your trip to Bermuda now?

oooh, SHOTGUN!!!

Rick

Jack:

Too much work to do and too little time to do it in.
On the other hand, my Bermuda is right here at home.
What more do I want?

Harry.

> Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> > Good for you, Harry.
> > Isn't it about time for your trip to Bermuda now?
>
> oooh, SHOTGUN!!!
>
> Yeahhhhh.....< Harry >
>
> Rick

You are, indeed, a very lucky man!

> Jack:
>
> Too much work to do and too little time to do it in.
> On the other hand, my Bermuda is right here at home.
> What more do I want?
>
> Harry.
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > Good for you, Harry.
> > Isn't it about time for your trip to Bermuda now?
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Jack:
> > >
> > > I thought it to be no more than fair, to tell you how I minimized the
> > > affects of MSN Messenger on my OE6.
> > > I had uninsstalled/removed the messenger, but still had it pop up at
> login
> > > and at certain times giving me the error message about the service
> > provider
> > > having terminated the connection.
> > > When I reinstalled MSN Messenger 6.2 and in the process changed some
> > > settings in the options category, the icon appears in the system tray
> only
> > > after I click on OE and outomatically opens it (OE that is), without
the
> > > error message, believe it or not. The messenger doesn't open, unless I
> do
> > it
> > > manually by clicking on the icon in systray.
> > > I definitely can live with that.
> > > Thank you Jack for keeping me 'on my toes'.
> > >
> > > Harry, old and "taking a breather".
> > >

> > <SNIP>

microsoft.public.msn.messenger

> Jack:
>
> What exactly is the name of the MSN Messenger NG?
>
> Harry.
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > Harry, repost this question to one of the Microsoft Outlook Express or
MSN
> > Mesenger ng's for an answer from someone more experienced about this.
> >
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

<SNIP>

Thank you, Jack.

Harry.

> microsoft.public.msn.messenger

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Jack:
> >
> > What exactly is the name of the MSN Messenger NG?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > > Harry, repost this question to one of the Microsoft Outlook Express or
> MSN
> > > Mesenger ng's for an answer from someone more experienced about this.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > > ------
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > > >

> <SNIP>

You don't have to re-type it, Harry. Cut and paste it from the post in your
OE Sent Files folder or from the public post in the OE6 ng.

> Jack, I posted this subject on the OE6 NG and noone seems to want to touch
> it. I was reluctant to retype the whole thing in the messenger NG.
> I guess, I am on my own.
> No problem either, because there is always the choice of a new beginning,
if
> it should bother me too much.
> Thanks for being there.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message

<SNIP>

There I have another problem, Jack, I can only 'select all' and 'copy'. But
then I don't know what I am copying to, because it's not on my notepad. The
'copy and paste' feature apparently isn't available to me. Isn't it supposed
to show up on a right click?
But then I may have found an easier solution for my problem anyway and
someone finally did respond to my post, like the
PA Bear, for instance, and according to him it was safe to delete those two
registry values, if need be.
For the time being I am allright and so is my machine.
Should I need help in the future again, "I'll be back"
Thanks a million, Jack and everyone.

Harry.

> You don't have to re-type it, Harry. Cut and paste it from the post in
your
> OE Sent Files folder or from the public post in the OE6 ng.

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Jack, I posted this subject on the OE6 NG and noone seems to want to
touch
> > it. I was reluctant to retype the whole thing in the messenger NG.
> > I guess, I am on my own.
> > No problem either, because there is always the choice of a new
beginning,
> if
> > it should bother me too much.
> > Thanks for being there.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
>
> <SNIP>

Cannot Drag or Copy and Paste File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309662

How to Install and Run Clipboard Viewer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141310

http://members.aol.com/jaynecg/private/copy.html

http://www.webmasternow.com/copyandpaste.html

> There I have another problem, Jack, I can only 'select all' and 'copy'.
But
> then I don't know what I am copying to, because it's not on my notepad.
The
> 'copy and paste' feature apparently isn't available to me. Isn't it
supposed
> to show up on a right click?
> But then I may have found an easier solution for my problem anyway and
> someone finally did respond to my post, like the
> PA Bear, for instance, and according to him it was safe to delete those
two
> registry values, if need be.
> For the time being I am allright and so is my machine.
> Should I need help in the future again, "I'll be back"
> Thanks a million, Jack and everyone.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > You don't have to re-type it, Harry. Cut and paste it from the post in
> your
> > OE Sent Files folder or from the public post in the OE6 ng.
> >
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Jack, I posted this subject on the OE6 NG and noone seems to want to
> touch
> > > it. I was reluctant to retype the whole thing in the messenger NG.
> > > I guess, I am on my own.
> > > No problem either, because there is always the choice of a new
> beginning,
> > if
> > > it should bother me too much.
> > > Thanks for being there.
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >

> > > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> >
> > <SNIP>

Jack:

Thank you for the links.
I have the clipboard viewer already, but will have to find out how to use
it, apparently.
Al good things take time.

Harry.

> Cannot Drag or Copy and Paste File
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309662
>
> How to Install and Run Clipboard Viewer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141310
>

> http://members.aol.com/jaynecg/private/copy.html
>
> http://www.webmasternow.com/copyandpaste.html

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > There I have another problem, Jack, I can only 'select all' and 'copy'.
> But
> > then I don't know what I am copying to, because it's not on my notepad.
> The
> > 'copy and paste' feature apparently isn't available to me. Isn't it
> supposed
> > to show up on a right click?
> > But then I may have found an easier solution for my problem anyway and
> > someone finally did respond to my post, like the
> > PA Bear, for instance, and according to him it was safe to delete those
> two
> > registry values, if need be.
> > For the time being I am allright and so is my machine.
> > Should I need help in the future again, "I'll be back"
> > Thanks a million, Jack and everyone.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > > You don't have to re-type it, Harry. Cut and paste it from the post
in
> > your
> > > OE Sent Files folder or from the public post in the OE6 ng.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > > ------
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> > touch
> > beginning,
> > > if

> > > <SNIP>

Harry, below a copy of a post I sent some time ago, relating to Clipboard
Viewer. I hope it is of some help in understanding how to use it.

"The clipboard - or more specifically in this case the Clipboard Viewer - is
NOT a picture or text editor.

If you open a text document (e.g. harry.txt or harry.doc) and highlight and
"Copy" a line or two of text, that highlighted text 'sits' on the clipboard.

You can now "Paste" that text elsewhere in that document or into other
documents as many times as you wish - UNTIL you either Copy something else
onto the clipboard or re-boot your machine when the contents of the
clipboard is lost. However, if you were to open Clipboard Viewer, you would
see that 'highlighted' line.

Now, if you were to Save that line in the Viewer as e.g. harry.clp and then
want to paste it at some future date into another document, then you could
open Clipboard Viewer, open harry.clp and then Paste the 'clipped' text into
your new document.

The same applies to pictures which you have selected and Copied to the
clipboard using the Copy command - but it does not copy or more importantly
save it as a .bmp or .jpg file, it saves it as a .clp file!!!

You can then open the .clp 'picture' in Clipboard Viewer and "Paste" it into
any document or application you are working with. THAT APPLICATION (not the
Clipboard Viewer) is then the one to edit the text or picture and then save
it as a new .txt, .doc, .bmp or whatever file.

The Clipboard Viewer will ONLY open and save .clp files."

I hope this makes sense.

Mart

> Jack:
>
> Thank you for the links.
> I have the clipboard viewer already, but will have to find out how to use
> it, apparently.
> Al good things take time.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
>> Cannot Drag or Copy and Paste File
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309662
>>
>> How to Install and Run Clipboard Viewer
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141310
>>

>> http://members.aol.com/jaynecg/private/copy.html
>>
>> http://www.webmasternow.com/copyandpaste.html
>>
>> --
>> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ------
>> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > There I have another problem, Jack, I can only 'select all' and 'copy'.
>> But
>> > then I don't know what I am copying to, because it's not on my notepad.
>> The
>> > 'copy and paste' feature apparently isn't available to me. Isn't it
>> supposed
>> > to show up on a right click?
>> > But then I may have found an easier solution for my problem anyway and
>> > someone finally did respond to my post, like the
>> > PA Bear, for instance, and according to him it was safe to delete those
>> two
>> > registry values, if need be.
>> > For the time being I am allright and so is my machine.
>> > Should I need help in the future again, "I'll be back"
>> > Thanks a million, Jack and everyone.
>> >
>> > Harry.
>> >

>> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> in
>> > your

>> > touch
>> > beginning,

> message

Makes a lot of sense to me, Mart.
Thank you.

Harry.

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> I hope this makes sense.
>
> Mart
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Jack:
> >
> > Thank you for the links.
> > I have the clipboard viewer already, but will have to find out how to
use
> > it, apparently.
> > Al good things take time.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> >> Cannot Drag or Copy and Paste File
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309662
> >>
> >> How to Install and Run Clipboard Viewer
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141310
> >>

> >> http://members.aol.com/jaynecg/private/copy.html
> >>
> >> http://www.webmasternow.com/copyandpaste.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

You're welcome Harry,

Mart