Is this possible (wireless networking bridge question)

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a wireless
network card can connect to the internet through another computer with a
wireless network card and a wired card. The catch is, that the computer
that will be acting as the bridge (the one with two cards, wired and
wireless) connects through a router. So, to summarise, here's my setup:

Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card

So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to connect
through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of different things
and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like a two NATs don't
make a connection sort of deal?

TIA,

Ari

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
10 answers Last reply
More about wireless networking bridge question

    spodosaurus wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a wireless
    > network card can connect to the internet through another computer with a
    > wireless network card and a wired card. The catch is, that the computer
    > that will be acting as the bridge (the one with two cards, wired and
    > wireless) connects through a router. So, to summarise, here's my setup:
    >
    > Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
    > wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card
    >
    > So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to connect
    > through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of different things
    > and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like a two NATs don't
    > make a connection sort of deal?

    Have you tried a traceroute from the laptop to see where the problem is?
    e.g.

    tracert -d 216.239.59.99

    --
    Paul

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a wireless
    > network card can connect to the internet through another computer with a
    > wireless network card and a wired card. The catch is, that the computer
    > that will be acting as the bridge (the one with two cards, wired and
    > wireless) connects through a router. So, to summarise, here's my setup:
    >
    > Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
    > wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card
    >
    > So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to connect
    > through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of different things
    > and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like a two NATs don't
    > make a connection sort of deal?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Ari

    Both computers are running windows XP home SP2, by the way.

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a
    >> wireless network card can connect to the internet through another
    >> computer with a wireless network card and a wired card. The catch is,
    >> that the computer that will be acting as the bridge (the one with two
    >> cards, wired and wireless) connects through a router. So, to
    >> summarise, here's my setup:
    >>
    >> Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
    >> wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card
    >>
    >> So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to
    >> connect through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of
    >> different things and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like a
    >> two NATs don't make a connection sort of deal?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Ari
    >>

    > Both computers are running windows XP home SP2, by the way.

    Update:

    I'm still trying to figure this out, but I appear to be one step closer.
    Here's what I did after deleting the bridge:

    1. turned on the DHCP server on my router
    2. set the wireless card on the bridge computer to ad-hoc mode using its
    manufacturer's software
    3. re-created the bridge
    4. changed the computer in the back room's wireless settings to receive
    an IP automatically

    It appears now that the computer in the back IS getting an IP from the
    router! It's the second IP in the DHCP list, right after the one
    assigned to the bridge computer. Unfortunately it STILL cannot connect
    to the Internet.

    Cheers,

    Paul wrote:
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a
    >> wireless network card can connect to the internet through another
    >> computer with a wireless network card and a wired card. The catch is,
    >> that the computer that will be acting as the bridge (the one with two
    >> cards, wired and wireless) connects through a router. So, to
    >> summarise, here's my setup:
    >>
    >> Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
    >> wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card
    >>
    >> So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to
    >> connect through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of
    >> different things and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like a
    >> two NATs don't make a connection sort of deal?
    >

    > Have you tried a traceroute from the laptop to see where the problem is?
    > e.g.
    >
    > tracert -d 216.239.59.99

    It's not going anywhere, three * at the first hop. It's getting it's IP
    address from the router, so there's definitely some network traffic, but
    that's as far as I've been able to get :-( :-(

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    >> spodosaurus wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a
    >>> wireless network card can connect to the internet through another
    >>> computer with a wireless network card and a wired card. The catch is,
    >>> that the computer that will be acting as the bridge (the one with two
    >>> cards, wired and wireless) connects through a router. So, to
    >>> summarise, here's my setup:
    >>>
    >>> Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
    >>> wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card
    >>>
    >>> So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to
    >>> connect through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of
    >>> different things and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like
    >>> a two NATs don't make a connection sort of deal?
    >>

    >> Have you tried a traceroute from the laptop to see where the problem
    >> is? e.g.
    >>
    >> tracert -d 216.239.59.99
    >>

    > It's not going anywhere, three * at the first hop. It's getting it's IP
    > address from the router, so there's definitely some network traffic, but
    > that's as far as I've been able to get :-( :-(
    >
    > Ari

    The firewalls on the remote computer and the bridge are both turned off,
    by the way. Just another thing I thought I should try.

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >
    >> Paul wrote:

    >>> Have you tried a traceroute from the laptop to see where the problem
    >>> is? e.g.
    >>>
    >>> tracert -d 216.239.59.99
    >>
    >> It's not going anywhere, three * at the first hop. It's getting it's
    >> IP address from the router, so there's definitely some network
    >> traffic, but that's as far as I've been able to get :-( :-(

    Are you sure the IP address isn't being assigned by the computer with
    wired & wireless cards (e.g. from the Windows internet connection
    sharing thingy)?

    Is the default gateway OK?

    BTW, I would imagine your configuration is pretty common.

    Paul wrote:
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >
    >> spodosaurus wrote:

    >>> It's not going anywhere, three * at the first hop. It's getting it's
    >>> IP address from the router, so there's definitely some network
    >>> traffic, but that's as far as I've been able to get :-( :-(
    >

    > Are you sure the IP address isn't being assigned by the computer with
    > wired & wireless cards (e.g. from the Windows internet connection
    > sharing thingy)?

    Yes. I specified a narrow IP range for DHCP in the router's settings.
    These are the IPs being assigned.

    > Is the default gateway OK?

    You mean the router? I'm using it now on a second wired connection
    computer. The default gateway listed by ipconfig is the router. I think
    something in the bridge computer is not letting anything connect to the
    router through it except to ask for and receive an ip address.

    > BTW, I would imagine your configuration is pretty common.

    me too, which is why I'm getting ready to tear my remaining hair out.

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >
    >> spodosaurus wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to create a network bridge so that a computer with a
    >>> wireless network card can connect to the internet through another
    >>> computer with a wireless network card and a wired card. The catch is,
    >>> that the computer that will be acting as the bridge (the one with two
    >>> cards, wired and wireless) connects through a router. So, to
    >>> summarise, here's my setup:
    >>>
    >>> Internet <--> ADSL modem <--> router <--> computer with wired and
    >>> wireless cards <-//-> computer in another room with wireless card
    >>>
    >>> So far I can't get the computer in the other room to be able to
    >>> connect through to the Internet, and I've tried a buttload of
    >>> different things and permutations. Is this even possible? Is it like
    >>> a two NATs don't make a connection sort of deal?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>
    >>> Ari
    >>>

    >> Both computers are running windows XP home SP2, by the way.
    >>

    > Update:
    >
    > I'm still trying to figure this out, but I appear to be one step closer.
    > Here's what I did after deleting the bridge:
    >
    > 1. turned on the DHCP server on my router
    > 2. set the wireless card on the bridge computer to ad-hoc mode using its
    > manufacturer's software
    > 3. re-created the bridge
    > 4. changed the computer in the back room's wireless settings to receive
    > an IP automatically
    >
    > It appears now that the computer in the back IS getting an IP from the
    > router! It's the second IP in the DHCP list, right after the one
    > assigned to the bridge computer. Unfortunately it STILL cannot connect
    > to the Internet.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Ari

    I had to enable compatibility mode for the bridged wireless adapter, as
    described here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02april22.mspx

    This also resulted in my wireless adapter completely disappearing, even
    after a restart, and so I had to uninstall the drivers, reinstall the
    drivers, disconnect the wireless usb adapter, restart the computer,
    reconnect the wireless usb adapter, set it to ad-hoc mode again,
    recreate the vridge, and check to make sure that compatibility mode was
    still enabled (netsh bridge show a).

    My problem now is that only one computer can connect at a time to the
    bridge in this manner (I tested out a second computer with a wireless
    NIC and it ended up with the same IP address as the one I was trying to
    get working, and so sort of gummed up the works).

    But for tonight, that's enough.

    HTH someone else, too,

    Ari

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    You may need to turn on 'Internet Connection Sharing' (ICS) on the bridge
    computer. Also, you should see at least three IP addresses being assigned by
    the router. Two in the bridge computer, one for each NIC, and another for the
    computer on the wireless connection. If you have a second computer connected
    via wireless connection that would be an additional IP for a total of four.

    John Smithe wrote:
    > You may need to turn on 'Internet Connection Sharing' (ICS) on the bridge
    > computer. Also, you should see at least three IP addresses being assigned by
    > the router. Two in the bridge computer, one for each NIC, and another for the
    > computer on the wireless connection. If you have a second computer connected
    > via wireless connection that would be an additional IP for a total of four.

    Hi John,

    Please see my followup to myself in the top part of this thread about
    what I needed to do to get the connection working. ICS is not necessary
    in this circumstance. Once I turned 'promiscuous' mode on (aka
    compatibility mode) for the wireless card everything worked. Even got
    WEP working. Something strange did happen last night, though: when i
    tried to 'attach' a second computer via the bridge the router assigned
    it the same IP address as the first one I got going, creating problems.
    This isn't a long term situation so I'm not too worried: when my
    wireless router comes back I'll be able to put everything back to normal.

    Ari

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

Homebuilt Wireless Computer Systems