How is the quality, reliability of Soyo motherboards?

I'm considering the SY-K7VM333, but I'm more interested in the company's
general reputation.

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about quality reliability soyo motherboards

    Ray K <raykos@optonline.net> wrote:

    >I'm considering the SY-K7VM333, but I'm more interested in the
    >company's general reputation.

    For that, you might want to do a Usenet archive search.

    Here is an example result.

    http://tinyurl.com/6fxpg

    Good luck.

    John Doe wrote:

    > Ray K <raykos@optonline.net> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm considering the SY-K7VM333, but I'm more interested in the
    >>company's general reputation.
    >

    > For that, you might want to do a Usenet archive search.
    >
    > Here is an example result.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6fxpg
    >
    > Good luck.

    Thanks for the wonderful lead.

    Ray

    I saw a short time ago Soyo is getting out of the Motherboard business.

    Gary:

    > I saw a short time ago Soyo is getting out of the Motherboard business.

    Not exactly...

    "Ming Chok, president and CEO of Soyo Group, said the U.S.-based company
    is still making motherboards."
    http://www.crn.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=54200326
    --
    Mac Cool

    Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:
    >Gary:

    >> I saw a short time ago Soyo is getting out of the Motherboard
    >> business.
    >
    >Not exactly...
    >"Ming Chok, president and CEO of Soyo Group, said the U.S.-based
    >company is still making motherboards."
    >http://www.crn.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=54200326

    But not encouraging IMO.
    "However, one additional company, Soyo Taiwan, is indeed existing the
    business to focus on components and plastics."

    Art wrote:

    > After problems with two of their MBs I'm hesitant to purchase
    > another Soyo MB.

    > I also found the company quite unresponsive to my pleas for
    > support. I might also add that there have been a substantial
    > number of complaints from consumers over Soyo's failure to
    > honor rebates. It doesn't speak well of the company.

    Two of my Pentium II/III Soyo mobos lost their BIOSes about seven
    times, and Soyo took three months to reply but had no explanation or
    solution and seemed to be technically illiterate. I then asked if
    they'd offer a new BIOS for the PII for support of HDs > 33GB, but they
    said the BIOS chip was too small to hold the extra needed code, yet DFI
    released a BIOS to do just that for their similar mobos with identical
    size BIOS chips, and someone at WimsBIOS.com patched my Soyo BIOS to
    support 137GB HDs.

    Later, I had problems with a Soyo USB 2.0 front panel kit and card
    because the card prevented my FIC VA-503+ system and a similar Soyo
    SY-5EMH mobo from booting at all (blank screen). Soyo tech support was
    very responsive this time, answering several of my e-mails within ten
    minutes, but again they had no solution, only misinformation. Also
    this card's cable connectors jammed against any adjacent PCI card, but
    Soyo's lame excuse was that it wasn't supposed to be plugged in next to
    another card (neither the box nor instructions warn against this).

    I bought a new Soyo motherboard around 4 years ago, and I had written to the
    company quite a few times with questions regarding the types of memory
    acceptable and other setup questions. I never heard back from anyone, no
    replies by email, fax or phone..
    About a year later (the motherboard was then one year old), the onboard sound
    died, and I couldn't get it to work again.
    I got rid of this motherboard and replaced it with a good used one from a
    different computer. I've never purchased a motherboard since, and if I had to,
    I would not get another Soyo. I would also stay away from anything from IBM. I
    had a new IBM hard drive, and when I had swapped motherboards, I had a lot of
    difficulty in setting up the hard drive again. I called IBM technical support,
    spoke to the guy and told him that I would send a fax with all of the specific
    details. I did that and never heard back from anyone. This incident occured 3
    years ago, and I had faxed and refaxed and refaxed the stuff about 15 times.
    IBM did not contact me- no emails, faxes, phone calls, nothing.
    I don't know who you can trust these days.
    Dale

    TeleDale Key Service,
    http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/teledale
    1811 Saratoga Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44109 U.S.A.

    "TeleDale" <teledale@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a new Soyo motherboard around 4 years ago, and I had written to
    >the
    > company quite a few times with questions regarding the types of memory
    > acceptable and other setup questions. I never heard back from anyone, no
    > replies by email, fax or phone..
    > About a year later (the motherboard was then one year old), the onboard
    > sound
    > died, and I couldn't get it to work again.
    > I got rid of this motherboard and replaced it with a good used one from a
    > different computer. I've never purchased a motherboard since, and if I
    > had to,
    > I would not get another Soyo. I would also stay away from anything from
    > IBM. I
    > had a new IBM hard drive, and when I had swapped motherboards, I had a
    > lot of
    > difficulty in setting up the hard drive again. I called IBM technical
    > support,
    > spoke to the guy and told him that I would send a fax with all of the
    > specific
    > details. I did that and never heard back from anyone. This incident
    > occured 3
    > years ago, and I had faxed and refaxed and refaxed the stuff about 15
    > times.
    > IBM did not contact me- no emails, faxes, phone calls, nothing.
    > I don't know who you can trust these days.
    > Dale
    >
    > TeleDale Key Service,
    > http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/teledale
    > 1811 Saratoga Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44109 U.S.A.

    My experience with Soyo motherboards parallels that of Dale's. After
    problems with two of their MBs I'm hesitant to purchase another Soyo MB. To
    be sure I haven't had any substantial experience with their MBs other than
    the two I had problems with, but it leaves me with an uneasy feeling about
    the quality of their boards in general. I also found the company quite
    unresponsive to my pleas for support.
    I might also add that there have been a substantial number of complaints
    from consumers over Soyo's failure to honor rebates. It doesn't speak well
    of the company.
    Art

Homebuilt Hardware Soyo Motherboards Systems