A Clean reinstall

After lots of problems I would like to Format the hard drive and either
reinstall or upgrade to Wxp. I booted up with the Boot disk and entered
FORMAT C: to receive a "Bad command of file name. After several attempts I
discovered the Format command was not on the Boot disk. How then can I
format the drive? Thank you, Ron S.

http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm
http://aumha.org/win4/a/meupgrad.htm

Upgrading to WINDOWS XP
HOME EDITION or PROFESSIONAL
Version 3.8 — Last Updated August 27, 2002
by Gary Woodruff, MS-MVP
© 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm

Clean Install Windows XP

Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP
by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP
© 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> After lots of problems I would like to Format the hard drive and either
> reinstall or upgrade to Wxp. I booted up with the Boot disk and entered
> FORMAT C: to receive a "Bad command of file name. After several attempts I
> discovered the Format command was not on the Boot disk. How then can I
> format the drive? Thank you, Ron S.

Don't select minimum boot when booting from the floppy. Whilst FORMAT is
not on the floppy as such it is contained in the cab file EBD.CAB which is
expanded into RAM when booting with options 1, 2 or 3 from the boot menu
and thus made available at the command prompt.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Ron Shepherd <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> After lots of problems I would like to Format the hard drive and
> either reinstall or upgrade to Wxp. I booted up with the Boot disk
> and entered FORMAT C: to receive a "Bad command of file name. After
> several attempts I discovered the Format command was not on the Boot
> disk. How then can I format the drive? Thank you, Ron S.

Thank you Mike and Jack for your help and time. I am now well on my way.
Your information was excellent. Ron Shepherd.