Crash External DVD burner - help?

I am having a bad experience with my new external DVD burner. On my
system:

Windows 2000 SP3
Athlon 1700+ XP
ECS K7S5A mobo
512 RAM
Bios American Megatrends 07.00T
80 gig hd

Supports USB 2.0

I plugged in the DVD burner (Pacific Digianl 8x) to my USB 2.0 port
- a menu comes up
stating Toshiba DVD Storage unit found and it starts search for a
driver. Then right away the computer reboots. Then I got the
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error with no file mentioned after it.

I did as the original thread said below - removed my USB Logitech
mouse - plugged it in using a PS/2 connector and unplugged the DVD
burner.

The system does not come up with that BSOD - but if I plug in the USB
DVD burner and turn it on - the menu of USB finding a driver comes up
(Toshiba DVD Storage unit found) followed by a reboot. Leave the
device off - it boots up fine.

As soon as I turn it on - you see the USB message Toshiba Storage
device found - then it crashed and reboots.

Is there any way to unistall the USB drivers from Logitech? Any way
to reset the USB hub?

I have plugged in other USB 2.0 devices and no problems.

In SAFE MODE however, plugging it in and turning it on - it works!
No crash. I do not thing this is a hardware problem.

Or anyone else having this problem? Would moving to XP Pro help?
Suggestions?

Thanks,

Tmuld.

jad

In SAFE MODE however, plugging it in and turning it on - it works!
> No crash. I do not thing this is a hardware problem.

this sounds like a driver conflict...is there anything else plugged
into the 2.0 usb ports along with the drive?

does the logitech driver show up in add remove programs?

does the logitech site have updated drivers?

"Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message
> I am having a bad experience with my new external DVD burner. On my
> system:
>
> Windows 2000 SP3
> Athlon 1700+ XP
> ECS K7S5A mobo
> 512 RAM
> Bios American Megatrends 07.00T
> 80 gig hd
>
> Supports USB 2.0
>
> I plugged in the DVD burner (Pacific Digianl 8x) to my USB 2.0
port
> - a menu comes up
> stating Toshiba DVD Storage unit found and it starts search for a
> driver. Then right away the computer reboots. Then I got the
> KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error with no file mentioned after it.
>
> I did as the original thread said below - removed my USB Logitech
> mouse - plugged it in using a PS/2 connector and unplugged the DVD
> burner.
>
> The system does not come up with that BSOD - but if I plug in the
USB
> DVD burner and turn it on - the menu of USB finding a driver comes
up
> (Toshiba DVD Storage unit found) followed by a reboot. Leave the
> device off - it boots up fine.
>
> As soon as I turn it on - you see the USB message Toshiba Storage
> device found - then it crashed and reboots.
>
> Is there any way to unistall the USB drivers from Logitech? Any
way
> to reset the USB hub?
>
> I have plugged in other USB 2.0 devices and no problems.
>

> Or anyone else having this problem? Would moving to XP Pro help?
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tmuld.

TRENDING THREADS