ME 06:0000:00002c44 blue screen

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 17, 2005 12:11:02 AM

I am reading that a lot of ME users are having a *known* issue following a
Microsoft update, in the past few days. I am helping out a lady with a
sudden error 06:0000:00002c47. Can someone give me some help with what to do
about this? Will someone post a link to a fix here? I can download it for
her but her problem is it causes constant Blue Screens and errors when she
connects to the Internet.

Unfortunately, her system restore was not turned on.

Firewire
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 5:17:16 AM

Tell her to uninstall the 891711 hotfix and delete the two files
KB891711.exe and Q891711.DLL in the Windows\System\KB891711 folder.
Alternatively I would have suggested that she use system restore to roll
back her system to a checkpoint created before this update was installed.
Shame that this wasn't enabled as this is exactly the sort of scenario for
which system restore was designed.

Hopefully this will fix the problem which seems to be caused by an
incompatibility between the hotfix and some but not all video drivers.
Microsoft are aware of the problem and hopefully will be providing an
updated hotfix in due course.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Firewire <firewire@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I am reading that a lot of ME users are having a *known* issue
> following a Microsoft update, in the past few days. I am helping out
> a lady with a sudden error 06:0000:00002c47. Can someone give me some
> help with what to do about this? Will someone post a link to a fix
> here? I can download it for her but her problem is it causes
> constant Blue Screens and errors when she connects to the Internet.
>
> Unfortunately, her system restore was not turned on.
>
> Firewire
March 17, 2005 5:17:17 AM

> Tell her to uninstall the 891711 hotfix and delete the two files
> KB891711.exe and Q891711.DLL in the Windows\System\KB891711 folder.
> Alternatively I would have suggested that she use system restore to roll
> back her system to a checkpoint created before this update was installed.
> Shame that this wasn't enabled as this is exactly the sort of scenario for
> which system restore was designed.
>
> Hopefully this will fix the problem which seems to be caused by an
> incompatibility between the hotfix and some but not all video drivers.
> Microsoft are aware of the problem and hopefully will be providing an
> updated hotfix in due course.
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Thanks I will give this a try. I will be the one doing it for her. She is a
widow with one arm, age about 74. She has a little Internet Business. :-)

Firewire
Related resources
March 17, 2005 5:17:17 AM

> Tell her to uninstall the 891711 hotfix and delete the two files
> KB891711.exe and Q891711.DLL in the Windows\System\KB891711 folder.
> Alternatively I would have suggested that she use system restore to roll
> back her system to a checkpoint created before this update was installed.
> Shame that this wasn't enabled as this is exactly the sort of scenario for
> which system restore was designed.
>
> Hopefully this will fix the problem which seems to be caused by an
> incompatibility between the hotfix and some but not all video drivers.
> Microsoft are aware of the problem and hopefully will be providing an
> updated hotfix in due course.

Forgot to mention, her computer is a Dell Dimension 4100 with an ATI Rage
128 graphic card. No firewall but runs Norton Anti virus. After reading
some of the other threads speculating on the possible causes in certain
computers, thought I would mention these.

Firewire
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:16:15 AM

If you boot the WinME mchine to Safe Mode, you can confirm that the
KB891711.exe "patch" is not executing, by viewing the Task Manager or
Process Explorer. Then run the Add-Remove Programs wizard to uninstall the
update. Since the executable is not running, all registry entries and the
two update files should be removed, perhaps leaving only the empty KB891711
folder, which you can manually delete, if desired.

I strongly urge you to reenable System Restore, as Mike suggested, to
protect better your friend's machine in the future:

"Navigate to "System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting" and
uncheck
"Disable System Restore", Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot. This should
now
automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following the restart.
Finally, adjust the space allocated to the restore folder, at
"System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk" and adjust the Restore
slider
to your preferred setting.
--
Mike Maltby