Windows Update DILEMMA?

Whenever I run Windows Millennium Edition Updates, I receive a "Recommended
Update"
of Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1. But, when I attempt the install,
it FAILS.

Error message is: "The following items failed to install. To try installing
them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now
again."

What's up with that? Any way to work around it?

What is Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 anyway?

You shouldn't need .NET Framework unless you're running software that
requires it. And you would know that when installing it.

My suggestion is skip the update.

What is it?

Start here:

..NET Framework Fundamentals
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/programming/fundamentals/default.aspx

Zee

"no.spam" <no.spam@no.spam.net> wrote in message
> Whenever I run Windows Millennium Edition Updates, I receive a
"Recommended
> Update"
> of Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1. But, when I attempt the install,
> it FAILS.
>
> Error message is: "The following items failed to install. To try
installing
> them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now
> again."
>
> What's up with that? Any way to work around it?
>
> What is Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 anyway?

Thanks for your quick reply. If I don't need it for anything, I guess I
won't worry about it anymore!

"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> You shouldn't need .NET Framework unless you're running software that
> requires it. And you would know that when installing it.
>
> My suggestion is skip the update.
>
> What is it?
>
> Start here:
>
> .NET Framework Fundamentals

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/programming/fundamentals/default.aspx

> Zee
>

> "no.spam" <no.spam@no.spam.net> wrote in message
> > Whenever I run Windows Millennium Edition Updates, I receive a
> "Recommended
> > Update"
> > of Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1. But, when I attempt the
install,
> > it FAILS.
> >
> > Error message is: "The following items failed to install. To try
> installing
> > them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now
> > again."
> >
> > What's up with that? Any way to work around it?
> >
> > What is Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 anyway?

If you want/need to install it:

Rename C:\Windows\System\mscoree.dll to mscoree.old and try the re-install.

That usually does the trick.

Zee

"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:eK7uZ9sKFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> You shouldn't need .NET Framework unless you're running software that
> requires it. And you would know that when installing it.
>
> My suggestion is skip the update.
>
> What is it?
>
> Start here:
>
> .NET Framework Fundamentals
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/programming/fundamentals/default.aspx
>
> Zee
>

> "no.spam" <no.spam@no.spam.net> wrote in message
> > Whenever I run Windows Millennium Edition Updates, I receive a
> "Recommended
> > Update"
> > of Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1. But, when I attempt the install,
> > it FAILS.
> >
> > Error message is: "The following items failed to install. To try
> installing
> > them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now
> > again."
> >
> > What's up with that? Any way to work around it?
> >
> > What is Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 anyway?

You're welcome.

Zee