Windows 98 to 98 SE

Is there any easy way to upgrade to windows 98 se from windows 98. My
sister needs it to connect to bt broadband and money is a bit tight.
14 answers Last reply
More about windows

    "anthony fidler" <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any easy way to upgrade to windows 98 se from windows 98. My
    > sister needs it to connect to bt broadband and money is a bit tight.

    Are you talking about usb support for the modem? It's still poor /
    unreliable in win98se. Get a £5 nic and connect it to that it's
    probably cheaper and will work much more reliably under win9x. Just
    remember to check that win98 drivers are included, most nics will still
    support it.

    --
    Ian

    No, bt broadband will not run on win 98, it has to be win98se or later.

    "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

    > "anthony fidler" <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there any easy way to upgrade to windows 98 se from windows 98. My
    > > sister needs it to connect to bt broadband and money is a bit tight.
    > >

    > Are you talking about usb support for the modem? It's still poor /
    > unreliable in win98se. Get a £5 nic and connect it to that it's
    > probably cheaper and will work much more reliably under win9x. Just
    > remember to check that win98 drivers are included, most nics will still
    > support it.
    >

    > --
    > Ian

    Then get Windows XP.

    "anthony fidler" <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >No, bt broadband will not run on win 98, it has to be win98se or
    later.

    >"Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "anthony fidler" <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there any easy way to upgrade to windows 98 se from windows
    98. My
    >> > sister needs it to connect to bt broadband and money is a bit
    tight.

    >> Are you talking about usb support for the modem? It's still poor /
    >> unreliable in win98se. Get a £5 nic and connect it to that it's
    >> probably cheaper and will work much more reliably under win9x.
    Just
    >> remember to check that win98 drivers are included, most nics will
    still
    >> support it.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ian

    there is an update disc that updates 98 to 98SE for about $45 but you'd be
    better off just getting a full copy of 98SE. you might be able to get one
    cheap on ebay or yahoo or some other auction site, just be carefull who you
    buy from.

    "anthony fidler" <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any easy way to upgrade to windows 98 se from windows 98. My
    > sister needs it to connect to bt broadband and money is a bit tight.

    Howdy!

    > No, bt broadband will not run on win 98, it has to be win98se or later.

    Can you find another provider?

    Because, you see, worst case would be to install a router and let it
    authenticate ... and run NO custom software on the PC. With that, Windows
    3.1 can surf the net (well, as good as it can surf ...)

    RwP

    Since Microsoft tends to price its old operating systems higher than
    its new operating systems, the original poster probably would be able
    to get Windows XP for the same price as Windows 98 SE.

    "wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >there is an update disc that updates 98 to 98SE for about $45 but
    you'd be
    >better off just getting a full copy of 98SE. you might be able to
    get one
    >cheap on ebay or yahoo or some other auction site, just be carefull
    who you
    >buy from.
    >
    >"anthony fidler" <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Is there any easy way to upgrade to windows 98 se from windows 98.
    My
    >> sister needs it to connect to bt broadband and money is a bit
    tight.

    it doesn't matter how microsoft prices them, i never said buy from microsoft
    or even necessarily buy new. pushing xp doesn't answer the question asked
    and doesn't help if they have a reason for wanting 98. if they did want new
    i see full retail copies of 98se for sale online for $55, you cant even get
    the oem of xp for that. if not there are plenty of used copies of 98
    floating around that are completely useable, unlike xp.

    "wooducoodu" wrote:
    > it doesn't matter how microsoft prices them, i never said buy from
    microsoft
    > or even necessarily buy new. pushing xp doesn't answer the question asked
    > and doesn't help if they have a reason for wanting 98. if they did want
    new
    > i see full retail copies of 98se for sale online for $55, you cant even
    get
    > the oem of xp for that. if not there are plenty of used copies of 98
    > floating around that are completely useable, unlike xp.

    Not to mention that if this is an older computer it probably won't do very
    well with XP anyway.

    Jon

    "anthony fidler" <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:SN_xd.356$nE.230@newsfe3-win.ntli.net...
    > Is there any easy way to upgrade to windows 98 se from windows 98. My
    > sister needs it to connect to bt broadband and money is a bit tight.

    If you get all the free downloadable upgrades available for win 98
    from the MS site your win98 installation will become a win98se.
    I am assuming the ms site still allows you to do this.

    Microsoft sold a Win98 gold to Win98se upgrade CD, but I doubt that it's
    still directly available form them. I've seen it at a computer show as
    recently as a couple of months ago. (It might even have been a legal
    version, but I wouldn't have wanted to bet on that.) It was less expensive
    than an upgrade version of 98se, maybe $30 US.

    Do you really need to install any special software to communicate with BT?
    I'm in the USA, using an external cable modem with an Ethernet interface to
    the PC. I'm not using any proprietary software from my ISP. The
    configuration that I had to do to communicate with my ISP was trivial. I
    resolved to avoid ISP software after a bad experience with Earthlink's. (I
    wasn't so put off by the installer disabling Regedit access as the fact that
    it did so without my permission. Apparently Earthlink wanted to simplify
    their support. That was not acceptable to me.)

    I suggest that you do some more digging (Google Groups) before trying to
    upgrade Win98. If the tech support in the UK is similar to that in the US,
    you can't trust most things that tech support might say. Their motive is to
    simplify their job, not to simplify your life.

    HTH.

    Bob Knowlden

    "anthony fidler" <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any easy way to upgrade to windows 98 se from windows 98. My
    > sister needs it to connect to bt broadband and money is a bit tight.

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:26:42 GMT, "anthony fidler"
    <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Is there any easy way to upgrade to windows 98 se from windows 98. My
    >sister needs it to connect to bt broadband and money is a bit tight.

    I believe I have an old copy of it lying around somewhere as well as
    several copies of 98SE full install.
    I can send a copy to you if you will spring for postage.

    Thanks, e-mail me and maybe we can sort something out.

    "none" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:26:42 GMT, "anthony fidler"
    > <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Is there any easy way to upgrade to windows 98 se from windows 98. My
    > >sister needs it to connect to bt broadband and money is a bit tight.
    > >
    > I believe I have an old copy of it lying around somewhere as well as
    > several copies of 98SE full install.
    > I can send a copy to you if you will spring for postage.

    The only way to do the upgrade is to purchase a copy of W98SE, and forget
    purchasing it from Microsoft. They discontinued marketing W98SE a long time
    ago. Your best bet is Ebay, and look for a RETAIL version rather than an OEM
    version - unless you are willing to do a clean install.

    "Musashi" <Miyamoto@Hosokawa.co.jp> wrote in message

    "anthony fidler" <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any easy way to upgrade to windows 98 se from windows 98. My
    > sister needs it to connect to bt broadband and money is a bit tight.

    If you get all the free downloadable upgrades available for win 98
    from the MS site your win98 installation will become a win98se.
    I am assuming the ms site still allows you to do this.

    That is absolutely incorrect. The only way you will have W98SE is to INSTALL
    W98SE.

Homebuilt Windows 98 Hardware Connection Broadband Systems