we have linux

gave up trying to make head nor tail of the partioning info and said yes to
everything. I seem to still have my c drive empty with but a few dos files
for dual boot purposes.
D drive is still xp.
f drive is now only 48gb instead of 117gb. No sign of rest of space or
linux partition.

I do however have a nifty green multiboot option. Which is bloody fast by
the way. The default choice if you aint quick enough is linux.

going to be now but my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen so i can't
download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.
28 answers Last reply
More about linux

    I would see a Doctor about that....I hear there is a pill for it..

    "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in message
    > gave up trying to make head nor tail of the partioning info and said
    yes to
    > everything. I seem to still have my c drive empty with but a few
    dos files
    > for dual boot purposes.
    > D drive is still xp.
    > f drive is now only 48gb instead of 117gb. No sign of rest of space
    or
    > linux partition.
    >
    > I do however have a nifty green multiboot option. Which is bloody
    fast by
    > the way. The default choice if you aint quick enough is linux.
    >
    > going to be now but my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen so
    i can't
    > download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.

    Some context and a better choice of discussion groups (in my opinion)
    might help.

    "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote:

    >gave up trying to make head nor tail of the partioning info and
    >said yes to everything. I seem to still have my c drive empty with
    >but a few dos files for dual boot purposes.
    >D drive is still xp.
    >f drive is now only 48gb instead of 117gb. No sign of rest of
    >space or linux partition.
    >
    >I do however have a nifty green multiboot option. Which is bloody
    >fast by the way. The default choice if you aint quick enough is
    >linux.
    >
    >going to be now but my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen
    >so i can't download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.

    >From: "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    >Subject: we have linux
    >Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:40:06 GMT
    homebuilt:425054

    Mr Jessop:

    > my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen so i can't
    > download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.

    enjoy your new hobby... lol

    --
    Mac Cool

    "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in message
    > gave up trying to make head nor tail of the partioning info and said yes
    > to everything. I seem to still have my c drive empty with but a few dos
    > files for dual boot purposes.
    > D drive is still xp.
    > f drive is now only 48gb instead of 117gb. No sign of rest of space or
    > linux partition.
    >
    > I do however have a nifty green multiboot option. Which is bloody fast by
    > the way. The default choice if you aint quick enough is linux.
    >
    > going to be now but my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen so i
    > can't download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.

    HA HA
    Why are you still using OE6 then???

    "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
    > Mr Jessop wrote:
    >
    >> my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen
    >
    > Can you get to your cable modem by ethernet?

    quite possible, the muppet who installed it all from the cable company
    insisted i use a usb hub. Mind you that did leave i port free for my laptop
    to share my connection.

    "The Continental Op" <continental_op@pi.com> wrote in message

    > "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in message
    >> gave up trying to make head nor tail of the partioning info and said yes
    >> to everything. I seem to still have my c drive empty with but a few dos
    >> files for dual boot purposes.
    >> D drive is still xp.
    >> f drive is now only 48gb instead of 117gb. No sign of rest of space or
    >> linux partition.
    >>
    >> I do however have a nifty green multiboot option. Which is bloody fast
    >> by the way. The default choice if you aint quick enough is linux.
    >>
    >> going to be now but my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen so i
    >> can't download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.
    >>

    > HA HA
    > Why are you still using OE6 then???

    huh?

    I plan to slowly migrate to linux programs. For a start dumping outlook
    express and outlook 2000. But first i need to get my connection set up in
    linux. Next of course is internet explorer. next is using linux
    alternatives to media player.

    So far the suse linux browser won't display my thumbnails. There is no
    previwer that works either. I have to use gimp just to view a jpg or a
    compressed tiff. gimp seems to be throwing up error messages too.

    I saw from the bootup bumf that there is an alternative to nero burn too.
    Once i master linux programs and debug them i will gradually migrate. Until
    i get my head around them i won't be advocating them to anyone else.

    "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
    > Some context and a better choice of discussion groups (in my opinion)
    > might help.

    do what mr top poster. Lecturing me on newsgroup usage?

    it seems this is a good a place as any to talk to ruel smith and one or two
    others who seem knowledgeable. They also seem aware of my current state of
    play. This is also a good opportunity for the pro linux guys and gals to
    show just how great linux is as they hand hold me through the next couple of
    months. i will however do a quick search for suse too.

    for the pro linux guys and gals to
    show just how great linux is as they hand hold me through the next
    couple of
    months

    Months of installing.. 'great' is not the word for it..........

    > "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
    > > Some context and a better choice of discussion groups (in my
    opinion)
    > > might help.
    >
    > do what mr top poster. Lecturing me on newsgroup usage?
    >
    > it seems this is a good a place as any to talk to ruel smith and one
    or two
    > others who seem knowledgeable. They also seem aware of my current
    state of
    > play. This is also a good opportunity for the pro linux guys and
    gals to
    > show just how great linux is as they hand hold me through the next
    couple of
    > months. i will however do a quick search for suse too.

    Mr Jessop:

    > it seems this is a good a place as any to talk to ruel smith and one
    > or two others who seem knowledgeable.

    I don't mind a bit of side discussion but there are 4 SUSE specific groups
    and over 500 Linux groups that will welcome your posts.
    --
    McQualude

    Mr Jessop wrote:

    > I plan to slowly migrate to linux programs.  For a start dumping outlook
    > express and outlook 2000.  But first i need to get my connection set up in
    > linux.  Next of course is internet explorer.  next is using linux
    > alternatives to media player.

    Ximian Evolution is a clone of Outlook. You won´t even know you're not in
    Outlook. However, I prefer Kontact's better KDE integration and look and
    feel. I'm not sure if it was a part of SuSE 9.1 or not.

    > So far the suse linux browser won't display my thumbnails.  There is no
    > previwer that works either.  I have to use gimp just to view a jpg or a
    > compressed tiff.  gimp seems to be throwing up error messages too.

    I assume you're using KDE. Go to KMenu(KDE's Start menu)->Control Center.
    Now, choose LookNFeel->Behavior. Click on the File Icons tab and check all
    the filetypes you want preview thumbnails for.

    Now, you can also alter the size of the thumbnails in relationship to the
    preview. In the Control Center, go to Components->File Manager. From there
    Select the Previews & Meta-Data tab. Check the box that says 'Increase size
    of previews relative to icons'.

    When you now view a text file icon, it'll have the exact text that's in the
    file within the icon. Same goes for image files. They'll now show the
    file's contents.

    While you're there, you can choose your folder icons to change depending on
    what's in them by checking off the protocols listed at the top of that tab.
    Then, folders containing text files will have unique folder icons, etc..

    For a preview of the file, you have several at your disposal. Right-click on
    an image file and choose 'Preview in Embeddable Image Viewer' and you'll
    get a preview right in your file browser. You can also choose 'Open With'
    and select either Kwickshow or KView. Kwickshow is just a simple previewer,
    but KView is more like the Windows previewer, but not quite.

    > I saw from the bootup bumf that there is an alternative to nero burn too.
    > Once i master linux programs and debug them i will gradually migrate.
    > Until i get my head around them i won't be advocating them to anyone else.

    The Nero alternative is K3b. It's a virtual clone of Nero Burning ROM. The
    one SuSE provides for you is already setup, but if you upgrade via a 3rd
    party rpm, you must run K3bSetup first to obtain the correct privleges for
    K3b to operate properly. Usually, it's placed in the Control Center under
    System by the rpm. It's an automatic process, and if you're using the SuSE
    provided version, it's unnecessary and probably won't even be available to
    run inside the Control Center.

    I hope this helps. Again, if you need help with SuSE, the best thing to do
    is go to groups.google.com and search for answers to your questions. Then,
    if that doesn't reveal satisfactory results, use your newsgroup reader to
    subscribe to alt.os.linux.suse and ask there. I don't mind helping you at
    all in this newsgroup, but SuSE questions' proper place is a.o.l.s.

    Good luck! I hope you enjoy Linux. Remember, it's something completely
    different. Suspend what you think you know about PC operating systems, and
    learn how Linux does it. It may be foreign and downright frustrating at
    first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why Windows _doesn't_
    do things in a similar manner!

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:46:52 +0000, Mr Jessop wrote:

    > I plan to slowly migrate to linux programs. For a start dumping outlook
    > express and outlook 2000. But first i need to get my connection set up in
    > linux. Next of course is internet explorer. next is using linux
    > alternatives to media player.
    >
    > So far the suse linux browser won't display my thumbnails. There is no
    > previwer that works either. I have to use gimp just to view a jpg or a
    > compressed tiff. gimp seems to be throwing up error messages too.
    >
    > I saw from the bootup bumf that there is an alternative to nero burn too.
    > Once i master linux programs and debug them i will gradually migrate. Until
    > i get my head around them i won't be advocating them to anyone else.

    I have been using Mepis Linux primarily for almost 6 months now. It is a
    much safer, more secure, (better?) OS than Windows. But it can be a real
    struggle to figure out and use at times. Those who love a challenge just
    eat it up; those of us who would rather just *use* the OS sometimes find
    it infuriating. Still, I'm happy to be (almost) free of The Evil Empire
    and its insecure, cash cow, your-computer-really-belongs-to-US! operating
    system.

    Anyway, the file viewer in Suse should have an option to enable
    thumbnails, just search for it. And K3B is as good as Nero, if not better.

    Good luck!

    Andy

    Andy Axnot wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:46:52 +0000, Mr Jessop wrote:
    >

    >>I plan to slowly migrate to linux programs. For a start dumping outlook
    >>express and outlook 2000. But first i need to get my connection set up in
    >>linux. Next of course is internet explorer. next is using linux
    >>alternatives to media player.
    >>
    >>So far the suse linux browser won't display my thumbnails. There is no
    >>previwer that works either. I have to use gimp just to view a jpg or a
    >>compressed tiff. gimp seems to be throwing up error messages too.
    >>
    >>I saw from the bootup bumf that there is an alternative to nero burn too.
    >>Once i master linux programs and debug them i will gradually migrate. Until
    >>i get my head around them i won't be advocating them to anyone else.
    >

    > I have been using Mepis Linux primarily for almost 6 months now. It is a
    > much safer, more secure, (better?) OS than Windows. But it can be a real
    > struggle to figure out and use at times. Those who love a challenge just
    > eat it up; those of us who would rather just *use* the OS sometimes find
    > it infuriating. Still, I'm happy to be (almost) free of The Evil Empire
    > and its insecure, cash cow, your-computer-really-belongs-to-US! operating
    > system.
    >
    > Anyway, the file viewer in Suse should have an option to enable
    > thumbnails,

    From either Control Center > KDE components > File Manager, or Konqueror
    itself > Settings > Configure Konqueror, Previews and Meta-Data.

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:14:26 -0600, David Maynard wrote:

    > Andy Axnot wrote:

    >> Anyway, the file viewer in Suse should have an option to enable
    >> thumbnails,
    >
    > From either Control Center > KDE components > File Manager, or Konqueror
    > itself > Settings > Configure Konqueror, Previews and Meta-Data.

    ooops! I was thinking that the default desktop manager in Suse was Gnome,
    my mistake.

    Andy

    "McQualude" <mcqualude@hoohoo.com> wrote in message
    > Mr Jessop:
    >
    >> it seems this is a good a place as any to talk to ruel smith and one
    >> or two others who seem knowledgeable.
    >
    > I don't mind a bit of side discussion but there are 4 SUSE specific groups
    > and over 500 Linux groups that will welcome your posts.
    > --
    > McQualude

    I don't know enough to speak linux speak. by the way i have found 2 of the
    groups and posted there too. I need all the terminology translated into
    windows speak though.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Mr Jessop wrote:

    >> I don't mind a bit of side discussion but there are 4 SUSE specific
    >> groups and over 500 Linux groups that will welcome your posts.
    >> --
    >> McQualude
    >
    > I don't know enough to speak linux speak. by the way i have found 2 of
    > the
    > groups and posted there too. I need all the terminology translated into
    > windows speak though.

    Don't worry. The best place for you, if you're using SuSE, is
    alt.os.linux.suse. There are some great guys there, namely Kevin Nathan,
    Houghi, and MJT (Michael J. Tobbler). Tobbler has actually written a few
    well known book on Linux. Just put 'Newbie: " before your subject and
    they'll treat you with kid gloves.

    However, like all newsgroups, you should visit http://groups.google.com and
    search for your questions. There probably has been others that ask the very
    same questions and you can lookup in the groups histories the answers that
    were given. That saves from people answering the same questions over and
    over again.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Mr Jessop wrote:
    >> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message

    >>>Can you get to your cable modem by ethernet?
    >>

    >> quite possible, the muppet who installed it all from the cable company
    >> insisted i use a usb hub. Mind you that did leave i port free for my
    >> laptop to share my connection.
    >
    > I mean do you have ethernet adapters on both your cable modem and your
    > computer? You have your laptop ethernet plugged into the cable modem? Get
    > an ethernet router. Or use the USB line with your laptop.

    no built in ethernet adapter in the modem. you can connect to main pc via
    usb or ethernet. i have it connected to usb so i can use main pc ethernet
    to share its connection with laptop.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Mr Jessop wrote:

    >> I mean do you have ethernet adapters on both your cable modem and your
    >> computer? You have your laptop ethernet plugged into the cable modem?
    >> Get
    >> an ethernet router. Or use the USB line with your laptop.
    >
    > no built in ethernet adapter in the modem. you can connect to main pc via
    > usb or ethernet. i have it connected to usb so i can use main pc ethernet
    > to share its connection with laptop.

    For Linux, you should really consider getting a LAN card and hooking it up
    via a router. It can be done with USB modems, as a few are supported, but
    the easiest way is to connect your modem to a router, then connect the
    router to an ethernet connection on your computer. Then, the computer sees
    the connection as a constant LAN connection and sets everything up that
    way.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message

    thank you so much, very very very useful indeed. Already posting to
    alt.os.linux.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Mr Jessop wrote:
    >
    >>> I mean do you have ethernet adapters on both your cable modem and your
    >>> computer? You have your laptop ethernet plugged into the cable modem?
    >>> Get
    >>> an ethernet router. Or use the USB line with your laptop.
    >>
    >> no built in ethernet adapter in the modem. you can connect to main pc
    >> via
    >> usb or ethernet. i have it connected to usb so i can use main pc
    >> ethernet
    >> to share its connection with laptop.
    >
    > For Linux, you should really consider getting a LAN card and hooking it up
    > via a router. It can be done with USB modems, as a few are supported, but
    > the easiest way is to connect your modem to a router, then connect the
    > router to an ethernet connection on your computer. Then, the computer sees
    > the connection as a constant LAN connection and sets everything up that
    > way.

    I have been considering routers for a while. a broadband one is different
    to an adsl one. there are also b and g modems to choose from then there are
    the brands to choose from. I suppose a good brand that does cable and adsl
    as well as wireless b and g is stupidly expensive?
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    > thank you so much, very very very useful indeed. Already posting to
    > alt.os.linux.

    didn't get a reply from alt.linux.suse but did from alt.os.linux suse. so
    unsubscribe from one. So the one i'm using is the one you recommended i
    believe.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Andy Axnot wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:14:26 -0600, David Maynard wrote:
    >

    >>Andy Axnot wrote:
    >

    >>>Anyway, the file viewer in Suse should have an option to enable
    >>>thumbnails,
    >>
    >> From either Control Center > KDE components > File Manager, or Konqueror
    >>itself > Settings > Configure Konqueror, Previews and Meta-Data.
    >>

    > ooops! I was thinking that the default desktop manager in Suse was Gnome,
    > my mistake.
    >
    > Andy

    Woops. I forgot about Gnome because I always begin with KDE.

    You can set it up either way.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Mr Jessop wrote:

    > "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message

    >>>no built in ethernet adapter in the modem. you can connect to main pc
    >>>via
    >>>usb or ethernet. i have it connected to usb so i can use main pc
    >>>ethernet
    >>>to share its connection with laptop.
    >>
    >>For Linux, you should really consider getting a LAN card and hooking it up
    >>via a router. It can be done with USB modems, as a few are supported, but
    >>the easiest way is to connect your modem to a router, then connect the
    >>router to an ethernet connection on your computer. Then, the computer sees
    >>the connection as a constant LAN connection and sets everything up that
    >>way.
    >

    > I have been considering routers for a while. a broadband one is different
    > to an adsl one. there are also b and g modems to choose from then there are
    > the brands to choose from. I suppose a good brand that does cable and adsl
    > as well as wireless b and g is stupidly expensive?

    What I did was get a wireless NAT router and then put the DSL modem on the
    WAN port. That way you can change one or the other without having to redo
    the whole thing.

    Only problem I had was the D-Link wireless router doesn't like my linksys 5
    port switch at ALL. Perpetually negotiates/drops the link. Moved them
    around so my the D-link wireless router goes into a D-link 8 port switch
    feeding the linksys 5 port switches and that works fine.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Mr Jessop wrote:
    >
    >> I have been considering routers for a while. a broadband one is
    >> different to an adsl one. there are also b and g modems to choose from
    >> then there are the brands to choose from. I suppose a good brand that
    >> does cable and adsl as well as wireless b and g is stupidly expensive?
    >
    > Use a router that is separate from the broadband modem. Connect the two
    > by ethernet. That means your old modem won't work since it has only USB.
    > You can always find networking gear cheap or even free at
    > techbargains.com.

    Free?

    Anyway what makes you think my usb/ethernet cable modem won't work?

    can i get routers that aren't adsl or cable/dsl designated? I foraged
    around toys r us and the guy suggested the cable/dsl wireless g router. I
    asked if this would allow me access to both my pcs or is it an internet
    sharing device. He says its internet only.

    Is it possible to buy or wireless access point or summit so that i can share
    all features with my laptop? i'm currently using two b standard wireless
    adapters for a peer to peer arrangement with xp. This however won't allow
    any security and is also extremely unstable.

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Mr Jessop wrote:

    > "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mr Jessop wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have been considering routers for a while. a broadband one is
    >>>different to an adsl one. there are also b and g modems to choose from
    >>>then there are the brands to choose from. I suppose a good brand that
    >>>does cable and adsl as well as wireless b and g is stupidly expensive?
    >>
    >>Use a router that is separate from the broadband modem. Connect the two
    >>by ethernet. That means your old modem won't work since it has only USB.
    >>You can always find networking gear cheap or even free at
    >>techbargains.com.
    >

    > Free?
    >
    > Anyway what makes you think my usb/ethernet cable modem won't work?
    >
    > can i get routers that aren't adsl or cable/dsl designated? I foraged
    > around toys r us and the guy suggested the cable/dsl wireless g router. I
    > asked if this would allow me access to both my pcs or is it an internet
    > sharing device. He says its internet only.

    I don't know what you mean by "adsl or cable/dsl designated" but I used my
    D-Link 614+ as simply a local LAN switch and wireless access point before I
    had DSL.

    The toys r us fellah apparently doesn't know squat about them. NAT
    (internet sharing), and probably a firewall, is active on the dsl/cable
    modem port but the rest of it, LAN and wireless access point, is simply
    local LAN and wireless access. Nothing 'special'. You just don't use the
    WAN port when there's no modem connected to it.

    > Is it possible to buy or wireless access point or summit so that i can share
    > all features with my laptop? i'm currently using two b standard wireless
    > adapters for a peer to peer arrangement with xp. This however won't allow
    > any security and is also extremely unstable.

    They all will.

    But your questions are also confusing. You talk about your cable modem and
    then ask about routers that don't connect to one.

    If you're looking for a way to connect it 'all together' then you want a
    dsl/cable modem router with wireless access and connect thusly:

    wired
    cable modem <--> dsl/cable modem +---> PC1
    wireless router |
    | +---> PC2
    | |
    ~ +---> PC3
    wireless
    ~ ~ ~
    | | |
    PC4 PC5 PC6

    NAT and firewall active on the modem port with the router IP as the default
    gateway, which will be done automatically if you use the built in DHCP and
    set all the clients to automatic configuration via DHCP.

    Everybody on the wired and wireless local LAN will be able to talk to each
    other without restriction, unless you set some in the clients themselves.
    And they'll all have independent (meaning nothing but the modem and router
    need be powered up) internet access through the router's NAT.

    There are reports of various modems having problems with certain routers so
    it would be a good idea to check with your modem manufacturer's web site to
    see if they have any recommendations/warnings about that.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    > Mr Jessop wrote:
    >
    >> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message

    >>>Use a router that is separate from the broadband modem. Connect the two
    >>>by ethernet. That means your old modem won't work since it has only USB.
    >>>You can always find networking gear cheap or even free at
    >>>techbargains.com.
    >>

    >> Free?
    >>
    >> Anyway what makes you think my usb/ethernet cable modem won't work?
    >>
    >> can i get routers that aren't adsl or cable/dsl designated? I foraged
    >> around toys r us and the guy suggested the cable/dsl wireless g router.
    >> I asked if this would allow me access to both my pcs or is it an internet
    >> sharing device. He says its internet only.
    >
    > I don't know what you mean by "adsl or cable/dsl designated" but I used my
    > D-Link 614+ as simply a local LAN switch and wireless access point before
    > I had DSL.
    >
    > The toys r us fellah apparently doesn't know squat about them. NAT
    > (internet sharing), and probably a firewall, is active on the dsl/cable
    > modem port but the rest of it, LAN and wireless access point, is simply
    > local LAN and wireless access. Nothing 'special'. You just don't use the
    > WAN port when there's no modem connected to it.
    >
    >> Is it possible to buy or wireless access point or summit so that i can
    >> share all features with my laptop? i'm currently using two b standard
    >> wireless adapters for a peer to peer arrangement with xp. This however
    >> won't allow any security and is also extremely unstable.
    >
    > They all will.
    >
    > But your questions are also confusing. You talk about your cable modem and
    > then ask about routers that don't connect to one.
    >
    > If you're looking for a way to connect it 'all together' then you want a
    > dsl/cable modem router with wireless access and connect thusly:
    >
    > wired
    > cable modem <--> dsl/cable modem +---> PC1
    > wireless router |
    > | +---> PC2
    > | |
    > ~ +---> PC3
    > wireless
    > ~ ~ ~
    > | | |
    > PC4 PC5 PC6
    >
    > NAT and firewall active on the modem port with the router IP as the
    > default gateway, which will be done automatically if you use the built in
    > DHCP and set all the clients to automatic configuration via DHCP.
    >
    > Everybody on the wired and wireless local LAN will be able to talk to each
    > other without restriction, unless you set some in the clients themselves.
    > And they'll all have independent (meaning nothing but the modem and router
    > need be powered up) internet access through the router's NAT.
    >
    > There are reports of various modems having problems with certain routers
    > so it would be a good idea to check with your modem manufacturer's web
    > site to see if they have any recommendations/warnings about that.

    well he was really a glorified toy salesman. I asked about support or is it
    buy it and get on with it.

    he said b i a g o w it! harumph!

    as for my question regarding routers i'm sure LANs existed before the
    internet or am i thinking intelligent switches? and basic networking hubs.
    router is simply a WAN. A WAN is simply a LAN with bolt on internet access
    too?

    Don't mind me i'm babbling ;)
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >> Don't mind me i'm babbling ;)
    >
    > \

    Linux has done its job................. turned a decent guy into a
    babbling newsnet poster... time for the 12 step program or an
    intervention.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Mr Jessop wrote:

    > "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mr Jessop wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message

    >>>Free?
    >>>
    >>>Anyway what makes you think my usb/ethernet cable modem won't work?
    >>>
    >>>can i get routers that aren't adsl or cable/dsl designated? I foraged
    >>>around toys r us and the guy suggested the cable/dsl wireless g router.
    >>>I asked if this would allow me access to both my pcs or is it an internet
    >>>sharing device. He says its internet only.
    >>
    >>I don't know what you mean by "adsl or cable/dsl designated" but I used my
    >>D-Link 614+ as simply a local LAN switch and wireless access point before
    >>I had DSL.
    >>
    >>The toys r us fellah apparently doesn't know squat about them. NAT
    >>(internet sharing), and probably a firewall, is active on the dsl/cable
    >>modem port but the rest of it, LAN and wireless access point, is simply
    >>local LAN and wireless access. Nothing 'special'. You just don't use the
    >>WAN port when there's no modem connected to it.
    >>

    >>>Is it possible to buy or wireless access point or summit so that i can
    >>>share all features with my laptop? i'm currently using two b standard
    >>>wireless adapters for a peer to peer arrangement with xp. This however
    >>>won't allow any security and is also extremely unstable.
    >>
    >>They all will.
    >>
    >>But your questions are also confusing. You talk about your cable modem and
    >>then ask about routers that don't connect to one.
    >>
    >>If you're looking for a way to connect it 'all together' then you want a
    >>dsl/cable modem router with wireless access and connect thusly:
    >>
    >> wired
    >>cable modem <--> dsl/cable modem +---> PC1
    >> wireless router |
    >> | +---> PC2
    >> | |
    >> ~ +---> PC3
    >> wireless
    >> ~ ~ ~
    >> | | |
    >> PC4 PC5 PC6
    >>
    >>NAT and firewall active on the modem port with the router IP as the
    >>default gateway, which will be done automatically if you use the built in
    >>DHCP and set all the clients to automatic configuration via DHCP.
    >>
    >>Everybody on the wired and wireless local LAN will be able to talk to each
    >>other without restriction, unless you set some in the clients themselves.
    >>And they'll all have independent (meaning nothing but the modem and router
    >>need be powered up) internet access through the router's NAT.
    >>
    >>There are reports of various modems having problems with certain routers
    >>so it would be a good idea to check with your modem manufacturer's web
    >>site to see if they have any recommendations/warnings about that.
    >

    > well he was really a glorified toy salesman. I asked about support or is it
    > buy it and get on with it.
    >
    > he said b i a g o w it! harumph!
    >
    > as for my question regarding routers i'm sure LANs existed before the
    > internet

    Well, yes, depending on what you mean but LAN doesn't necessarily mean IP
    and there used to be a lot of 'LAN' protocols. IP is now the most common
    because of the internet.

    > or am i thinking intelligent switches? and basic networking hubs.

    Those too.

    > router is simply a WAN.

    No, a router is a device that does routing, not a 'WAN'.

    In a 'simple' network (like a typical home LAN) everything goes everywhere
    and every computer sees it but when there's literally millions of computers
    (becomes necessary long before that) doing so would instantly swamp any
    network medium so you want things only going to their 'destination'. E.g.
    There's no reason for Bangkok to see packets sent from Boise to Boston.
    That means segmenting the network, figuring out routes, and sending via
    those routes.

    A router looks at the packets and, if they're destined for something on
    it's network segment, forwards them to the correct port/next router.

    > A WAN is simply a LAN with bolt on internet access
    > too?

    No, a WAN is a "Wide Area Network," of which the internet is one, and the
    one a consumer dsl/cable modem/router would generally mean on it's 'WAN
    port' label, since that's what it's customarily used for, but anyone can
    make a WAN and large companies often do.

    Typical ethernet has limits on how many routers/hubs can be chained and
    cable length restrictions significantly shorter than 'world wide' so WANs
    present new problems vs local LANs; hence the distinction.

    > Don't mind me i'm babbling ;)

  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Mr Jessop wrote:
    >> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message

    >>>Use a router that is separate from the broadband modem. Connect the two
    >>>by ethernet. That means your old modem won't work since it has only USB.
    >>>You can always find networking gear cheap or even free at
    >>>techbargains.com.
    >>

    >> Free?
    >>
    >> Anyway what makes you think my usb/ethernet cable modem won't work?
    >
    > You wrote:
    >

    >> no built in ethernet adapter in the modem.

    hmmm

    >> you can connect to main pc via usb or ethernet.

    contradicted myself there. The second statement is true and i meant that.

    What i meant by the no built in adapter i can't remember. thats what i get
    for drinking before and during posting i suppose. I probably meant network
    hub or wireless adapter it does of course have an ethernet port which whilst
    drunk i didn't consider to be an adapter.

Homebuilt Linux Systems