Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

we have linux

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2004 3:40:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

gave up trying to make head nor tail of the partioning info and said yes to
everything. I seem to still have my c drive empty with but a few dos files
for dual boot purposes.
D drive is still xp.
f drive is now only 48gb instead of 117gb. No sign of rest of space or
linux partition.

I do however have a nifty green multiboot option. Which is bloody fast by
the way. The default choice if you aint quick enough is linux.

going to be now but my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen so i can't
download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.

More about : linux

December 22, 2004 3:40:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I would see a Doctor about that....I hear there is a pill for it..


"Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in message
news:Gn3yd.4786$Ar5.2382@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> gave up trying to make head nor tail of the partioning info and said
yes to
> everything. I seem to still have my c drive empty with but a few
dos files
> for dual boot purposes.
> D drive is still xp.
> f drive is now only 48gb instead of 117gb. No sign of rest of space
or
> linux partition.
>
> I do however have a nifty green multiboot option. Which is bloody
fast by
> the way. The default choice if you aint quick enough is linux.
>
> going to be now but my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen so
i can't
> download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2004 3:58:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Some context and a better choice of discussion groups (in my opinion)
might help.

"Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote:

>gave up trying to make head nor tail of the partioning info and
>said yes to everything. I seem to still have my c drive empty with
>but a few dos files for dual boot purposes.
>D drive is still xp.
>f drive is now only 48gb instead of 117gb. No sign of rest of
>space or linux partition.
>
>I do however have a nifty green multiboot option. Which is bloody
>fast by the way. The default choice if you aint quick enough is
>linux.
>
>going to be now but my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen
>so i can't download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.
>
>
>
>
>Path: newssvr12.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm05.news.prodigy.com!
newscon03.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!
newsswing.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!newshosting.com!
nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!
newsfeed.freenet.de!216.196.110.149.MISMATCH!
border2.nntp.ams.giganews.com!border1.nntp.ams.giganews.com!
nntp.giganews.com!pe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk!blueyonder!
pe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk!blueyonder!text.news.blueyonder.co.uk!
53ab2750!not-for-mail
>From: "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com>
>Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
>Subject: we have linux
>Lines: 14
>Organization: nonwhatsoever
>X-Priority: 3
>X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
>X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
>X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
>Message-ID: <Gn3yd.4786$Ar5.2382@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
>Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:40:06 GMT
>NNTP-Posting-Host: 82.45.247.200
>X-Complaints-To: abuse@blueyonder.co.uk
>X-Trace: text.news.blueyonder.co.uk 1103676006 82.45.247.200 (Wed,
22 Dec 2004 00:40:06 GMT)
>NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:40:06 GMT
>Xref: newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com alt.comp.hardware.pc-
homebuilt:425054
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2004 10:17:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Mr Jessop:

> my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen so i can't
> download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.

enjoy your new hobby... lol

--
Mac Cool
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 23, 2004 3:24:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in message
news:Gn3yd.4786$Ar5.2382@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> gave up trying to make head nor tail of the partioning info and said yes
> to everything. I seem to still have my c drive empty with but a few dos
> files for dual boot purposes.
> D drive is still xp.
> f drive is now only 48gb instead of 117gb. No sign of rest of space or
> linux partition.
>
> I do however have a nifty green multiboot option. Which is bloody fast by
> the way. The default choice if you aint quick enough is linux.
>
> going to be now but my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen so i
> can't download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.
>

HA HA
Why are you still using OE6 then???
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 24, 2004 10:42:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
news:D 38yd.202$me5.55@news01.roc.ny...
> Mr Jessop wrote:
>
>> my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen
>
> Can you get to your cable modem by ethernet?

quite possible, the muppet who installed it all from the cable company
insisted i use a usb hub. Mind you that did leave i port free for my laptop
to share my connection.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 24, 2004 10:46:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"The Continental Op" <continental_op@pi.com> wrote in message
news:cqd38d$t5k$1@titan.btinternet.com...
>
> "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in message
> news:Gn3yd.4786$Ar5.2382@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> gave up trying to make head nor tail of the partioning info and said yes
>> to everything. I seem to still have my c drive empty with but a few dos
>> files for dual boot purposes.
>> D drive is still xp.
>> f drive is now only 48gb instead of 117gb. No sign of rest of space or
>> linux partition.
>>
>> I do however have a nifty green multiboot option. Which is bloody fast
>> by the way. The default choice if you aint quick enough is linux.
>>
>> going to be now but my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen so i
>> can't download updated drivers so no 3d acceleration either.
>>
>
> HA HA
> Why are you still using OE6 then???

huh?

I plan to slowly migrate to linux programs. For a start dumping outlook
express and outlook 2000. But first i need to get my connection set up in
linux. Next of course is internet explorer. next is using linux
alternatives to media player.

So far the suse linux browser won't display my thumbnails. There is no
previwer that works either. I have to use gimp just to view a jpg or a
compressed tiff. gimp seems to be throwing up error messages too.

I saw from the bootup bumf that there is an alternative to nero burn too.
Once i master linux programs and debug them i will gradually migrate. Until
i get my head around them i won't be advocating them to anyone else.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 24, 2004 10:49:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
news:Xns95C6C103F8C7Ewisdomfolly@151.164.30.44...
> Some context and a better choice of discussion groups (in my opinion)
> might help.

do what mr top poster. Lecturing me on newsgroup usage?

it seems this is a good a place as any to talk to ruel smith and one or two
others who seem knowledgeable. They also seem aware of my current state of
play. This is also a good opportunity for the pro linux guys and gals to
show just how great linux is as they hand hold me through the next couple of
months. i will however do a quick search for suse too.
December 24, 2004 10:49:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

for the pro linux guys and gals to
show just how great linux is as they hand hold me through the next
couple of
months


Months of installing.. 'great' is not the word for it..........

"Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in message
news:o o_yd.6537$Ar5.2877@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
> news:Xns95C6C103F8C7Ewisdomfolly@151.164.30.44...
> > Some context and a better choice of discussion groups (in my
opinion)
> > might help.
>
> do what mr top poster. Lecturing me on newsgroup usage?
>
> it seems this is a good a place as any to talk to ruel smith and one
or two
> others who seem knowledgeable. They also seem aware of my current
state of
> play. This is also a good opportunity for the pro linux guys and
gals to
> show just how great linux is as they hand hold me through the next
couple of
> months. i will however do a quick search for suse too.
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2004 3:15:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Mr Jessop:

> it seems this is a good a place as any to talk to ruel smith and one
> or two others who seem knowledgeable.

I don't mind a bit of side discussion but there are 4 SUSE specific groups
and over 500 Linux groups that will welcome your posts.
--
McQualude
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2004 5:27:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Mr Jessop wrote:

> I plan to slowly migrate to linux programs.  For a start dumping outlook
> express and outlook 2000.  But first i need to get my connection set up in
> linux.  Next of course is internet explorer.  next is using linux
> alternatives to media player.

Ximian Evolution is a clone of Outlook. You won´t even know you're not in
Outlook. However, I prefer Kontact's better KDE integration and look and
feel. I'm not sure if it was a part of SuSE 9.1 or not.

> So far the suse linux browser won't display my thumbnails.  There is no
> previwer that works either.  I have to use gimp just to view a jpg or a
> compressed tiff.  gimp seems to be throwing up error messages too.

I assume you're using KDE. Go to KMenu(KDE's Start menu)->Control Center.
Now, choose LookNFeel->Behavior. Click on the File Icons tab and check all
the filetypes you want preview thumbnails for.

Now, you can also alter the size of the thumbnails in relationship to the
preview. In the Control Center, go to Components->File Manager. From there
Select the Previews & Meta-Data tab. Check the box that says 'Increase size
of previews relative to icons'.

When you now view a text file icon, it'll have the exact text that's in the
file within the icon. Same goes for image files. They'll now show the
file's contents.

While you're there, you can choose your folder icons to change depending on
what's in them by checking off the protocols listed at the top of that tab.
Then, folders containing text files will have unique folder icons, etc..

For a preview of the file, you have several at your disposal. Right-click on
an image file and choose 'Preview in Embeddable Image Viewer' and you'll
get a preview right in your file browser. You can also choose 'Open With'
and select either Kwickshow or KView. Kwickshow is just a simple previewer,
but KView is more like the Windows previewer, but not quite.

> I saw from the bootup bumf that there is an alternative to nero burn too.
> Once i master linux programs and debug them i will gradually migrate. 
> Until i get my head around them i won't be advocating them to anyone else.

The Nero alternative is K3b. It's a virtual clone of Nero Burning ROM. The
one SuSE provides for you is already setup, but if you upgrade via a 3rd
party rpm, you must run K3bSetup first to obtain the correct privleges for
K3b to operate properly. Usually, it's placed in the Control Center under
System by the rpm. It's an automatic process, and if you're using the SuSE
provided version, it's unnecessary and probably won't even be available to
run inside the Control Center.

I hope this helps. Again, if you need help with SuSE, the best thing to do
is go to groups.google.com and search for answers to your questions. Then,
if that doesn't reveal satisfactory results, use your newsgroup reader to
subscribe to alt.os.linux.suse and ask there. I don't mind helping you at
all in this newsgroup, but SuSE questions' proper place is a.o.l.s.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy Linux. Remember, it's something completely
different. Suspend what you think you know about PC operating systems, and
learn how Linux does it. It may be foreign and downright frustrating at
first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why Windows _doesn't_
do things in a similar manner!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2004 7:07:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:46:52 +0000, Mr Jessop wrote:

>
> I plan to slowly migrate to linux programs. For a start dumping outlook
> express and outlook 2000. But first i need to get my connection set up in
> linux. Next of course is internet explorer. next is using linux
> alternatives to media player.
>
> So far the suse linux browser won't display my thumbnails. There is no
> previwer that works either. I have to use gimp just to view a jpg or a
> compressed tiff. gimp seems to be throwing up error messages too.
>
> I saw from the bootup bumf that there is an alternative to nero burn too.
> Once i master linux programs and debug them i will gradually migrate. Until
> i get my head around them i won't be advocating them to anyone else.

I have been using Mepis Linux primarily for almost 6 months now. It is a
much safer, more secure, (better?) OS than Windows. But it can be a real
struggle to figure out and use at times. Those who love a challenge just
eat it up; those of us who would rather just *use* the OS sometimes find
it infuriating. Still, I'm happy to be (almost) free of The Evil Empire
and its insecure, cash cow, your-computer-really-belongs-to-US! operating
system.

Anyway, the file viewer in Suse should have an option to enable
thumbnails, just search for it. And K3B is as good as Nero, if not better.

Good luck!

Andy
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2004 12:14:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Andy Axnot wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:46:52 +0000, Mr Jessop wrote:
>
>
>>I plan to slowly migrate to linux programs. For a start dumping outlook
>>express and outlook 2000. But first i need to get my connection set up in
>>linux. Next of course is internet explorer. next is using linux
>>alternatives to media player.
>>
>>So far the suse linux browser won't display my thumbnails. There is no
>>previwer that works either. I have to use gimp just to view a jpg or a
>>compressed tiff. gimp seems to be throwing up error messages too.
>>
>>I saw from the bootup bumf that there is an alternative to nero burn too.
>>Once i master linux programs and debug them i will gradually migrate. Until
>>i get my head around them i won't be advocating them to anyone else.
>
>
> I have been using Mepis Linux primarily for almost 6 months now. It is a
> much safer, more secure, (better?) OS than Windows. But it can be a real
> struggle to figure out and use at times. Those who love a challenge just
> eat it up; those of us who would rather just *use* the OS sometimes find
> it infuriating. Still, I'm happy to be (almost) free of The Evil Empire
> and its insecure, cash cow, your-computer-really-belongs-to-US! operating
> system.
>
> Anyway, the file viewer in Suse should have an option to enable
> thumbnails,

From either Control Center > KDE components > File Manager, or Konqueror
itself > Settings > Configure Konqueror, Previews and Meta-Data.

> just search for it. And K3B is as good as Nero, if not better.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Andy
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2004 7:35:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:14:26 -0600, David Maynard wrote:

> Andy Axnot wrote:

>> Anyway, the file viewer in Suse should have an option to enable
>> thumbnails,
>
> From either Control Center > KDE components > File Manager, or Konqueror
> itself > Settings > Configure Konqueror, Previews and Meta-Data.
>

ooops! I was thinking that the default desktop manager in Suse was Gnome,
my mistake.

Andy
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2004 4:34:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"McQualude" <mcqualude@hoohoo.com> wrote in message
news:1103933726.daccdb3e41cbd2a0b8de90aca648f757@bubbanews...
> Mr Jessop:
>
>> it seems this is a good a place as any to talk to ruel smith and one
>> or two others who seem knowledgeable.
>
> I don't mind a bit of side discussion but there are 4 SUSE specific groups
> and over 500 Linux groups that will welcome your posts.
> --
> McQualude

I don't know enough to speak linux speak. by the way i have found 2 of the
groups and posted there too. I need all the terminology translated into
windows speak though.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2004 4:34:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Mr Jessop wrote:

>> I don't mind a bit of side discussion but there are 4 SUSE specific
>> groups and over 500 Linux groups that will welcome your posts.
>> --
>> McQualude
>
> I don't know enough to speak linux speak. by the way i have found 2 of
> the
> groups and posted there too. I need all the terminology translated into
> windows speak though.

Don't worry. The best place for you, if you're using SuSE, is
alt.os.linux.suse. There are some great guys there, namely Kevin Nathan,
Houghi, and MJT (Michael J. Tobbler). Tobbler has actually written a few
well known book on Linux. Just put 'Newbie: " before your subject and
they'll treat you with kid gloves.

However, like all newsgroups, you should visit http://groups.google.com and
search for your questions. There probably has been others that ask the very
same questions and you can lookup in the groups histories the answers that
were given. That saves from people answering the same questions over and
over again.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2004 4:35:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
news:D o4zd.670$Ww7.306@news01.roc.ny...
> Mr Jessop wrote:
>> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 38yd.202$me5.55@news01.roc.ny...
>>
>>>Mr Jessop wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> my cable modem on the usb hub didn't get seen
>>>
>>>Can you get to your cable modem by ethernet?
>>
>>
>> quite possible, the muppet who installed it all from the cable company
>> insisted i use a usb hub. Mind you that did leave i port free for my
>> laptop to share my connection.
>
> I mean do you have ethernet adapters on both your cable modem and your
> computer? You have your laptop ethernet plugged into the cable modem? Get
> an ethernet router. Or use the USB line with your laptop.

no built in ethernet adapter in the modem. you can connect to main pc via
usb or ethernet. i have it connected to usb so i can use main pc ethernet
to share its connection with laptop.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2004 4:35:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Mr Jessop wrote:

>> I mean do you have ethernet adapters on both your cable modem and your
>> computer? You have your laptop ethernet plugged into the cable modem?
>> Get
>> an ethernet router. Or use the USB line with your laptop.
>
> no built in ethernet adapter in the modem. you can connect to main pc via
> usb or ethernet. i have it connected to usb so i can use main pc ethernet
> to share its connection with laptop.

For Linux, you should really consider getting a LAN card and hooking it up
via a router. It can be done with USB modems, as a few are supported, but
the easiest way is to connect your modem to a router, then connect the
router to an ethernet connection on your computer. Then, the computer sees
the connection as a constant LAN connection and sets everything up that
way.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2004 4:53:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
news:C9jzd.13270$IZ2.1582@fe37.usenetserver.com...

thank you so much, very very very useful indeed. Already posting to
alt.os.linux.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2004 11:25:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
news:6kAzd.13289$IZ2.1971@fe37.usenetserver.com...
> Mr Jessop wrote:
>
>>> I mean do you have ethernet adapters on both your cable modem and your
>>> computer? You have your laptop ethernet plugged into the cable modem?
>>> Get
>>> an ethernet router. Or use the USB line with your laptop.
>>
>> no built in ethernet adapter in the modem. you can connect to main pc
>> via
>> usb or ethernet. i have it connected to usb so i can use main pc
>> ethernet
>> to share its connection with laptop.
>
> For Linux, you should really consider getting a LAN card and hooking it up
> via a router. It can be done with USB modems, as a few are supported, but
> the easiest way is to connect your modem to a router, then connect the
> router to an ethernet connection on your computer. Then, the computer sees
> the connection as a constant LAN connection and sets everything up that
> way.

I have been considering routers for a while. a broadband one is different
to an adsl one. there are also b and g modems to choose from then there are
the brands to choose from. I suppose a good brand that does cable and adsl
as well as wireless b and g is stupidly expensive?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2004 11:26:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in message
news:fnzzd.7149$Ar5.4730@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> news:C9jzd.13270$IZ2.1582@fe37.usenetserver.com...
>
> thank you so much, very very very useful indeed. Already posting to
> alt.os.linux.

didn't get a reply from alt.linux.suse but did from alt.os.linux suse. so
unsubscribe from one. So the one i'm using is the one you recommended i
believe.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2004 5:18:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Andy Axnot wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:14:26 -0600, David Maynard wrote:
>
>
>>Andy Axnot wrote:
>
>
>>>Anyway, the file viewer in Suse should have an option to enable
>>>thumbnails,
>>
>> From either Control Center > KDE components > File Manager, or Konqueror
>>itself > Settings > Configure Konqueror, Previews and Meta-Data.
>>
>
>
> ooops! I was thinking that the default desktop manager in Suse was Gnome,
> my mistake.
>
> Andy
>

Woops. I forgot about Gnome because I always begin with KDE.

You can set it up either way.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2004 6:36:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Mr Jessop wrote:

> "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> news:6kAzd.13289$IZ2.1971@fe37.usenetserver.com...
>
>>Mr Jessop wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>I mean do you have ethernet adapters on both your cable modem and your
>>>>computer? You have your laptop ethernet plugged into the cable modem?
>>>>Get
>>>>an ethernet router. Or use the USB line with your laptop.
>>>
>>>no built in ethernet adapter in the modem. you can connect to main pc
>>>via
>>>usb or ethernet. i have it connected to usb so i can use main pc
>>>ethernet
>>>to share its connection with laptop.
>>
>>For Linux, you should really consider getting a LAN card and hooking it up
>>via a router. It can be done with USB modems, as a few are supported, but
>>the easiest way is to connect your modem to a router, then connect the
>>router to an ethernet connection on your computer. Then, the computer sees
>>the connection as a constant LAN connection and sets everything up that
>>way.
>
>
> I have been considering routers for a while. a broadband one is different
> to an adsl one. there are also b and g modems to choose from then there are
> the brands to choose from. I suppose a good brand that does cable and adsl
> as well as wireless b and g is stupidly expensive?
>
>

What I did was get a wireless NAT router and then put the DSL modem on the
WAN port. That way you can change one or the other without having to redo
the whole thing.

Only problem I had was the D-Link wireless router doesn't like my linksys 5
port switch at ALL. Perpetually negotiates/drops the link. Moved them
around so my the D-link wireless router goes into a D-link 8 port switch
feeding the linksys 5 port switches and that works fine.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2004 10:17:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
news:EXmAd.1270$G%3.344@news01.roc.ny...
> Mr Jessop wrote:
>
>> I have been considering routers for a while. a broadband one is
>> different to an adsl one. there are also b and g modems to choose from
>> then there are the brands to choose from. I suppose a good brand that
>> does cable and adsl as well as wireless b and g is stupidly expensive?
>
> Use a router that is separate from the broadband modem. Connect the two
> by ethernet. That means your old modem won't work since it has only USB.
> You can always find networking gear cheap or even free at
> techbargains.com.

Free?

Anyway what makes you think my usb/ethernet cable modem won't work?

can i get routers that aren't adsl or cable/dsl designated? I foraged
around toys r us and the guy suggested the cable/dsl wireless g router. I
asked if this would allow me access to both my pcs or is it an internet
sharing device. He says its internet only.

Is it possible to buy or wireless access point or summit so that i can share
all features with my laptop? i'm currently using two b standard wireless
adapters for a peer to peer arrangement with xp. This however won't allow
any security and is also extremely unstable.
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 30, 2004 3:57:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Mr Jessop wrote:

> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> news:EXmAd.1270$G%3.344@news01.roc.ny...
>
>>Mr Jessop wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I have been considering routers for a while. a broadband one is
>>>different to an adsl one. there are also b and g modems to choose from
>>>then there are the brands to choose from. I suppose a good brand that
>>>does cable and adsl as well as wireless b and g is stupidly expensive?
>>
>>Use a router that is separate from the broadband modem. Connect the two
>>by ethernet. That means your old modem won't work since it has only USB.
>>You can always find networking gear cheap or even free at
>>techbargains.com.
>
>
> Free?
>
> Anyway what makes you think my usb/ethernet cable modem won't work?
>
> can i get routers that aren't adsl or cable/dsl designated? I foraged
> around toys r us and the guy suggested the cable/dsl wireless g router. I
> asked if this would allow me access to both my pcs or is it an internet
> sharing device. He says its internet only.

I don't know what you mean by "adsl or cable/dsl designated" but I used my
D-Link 614+ as simply a local LAN switch and wireless access point before I
had DSL.

The toys r us fellah apparently doesn't know squat about them. NAT
(internet sharing), and probably a firewall, is active on the dsl/cable
modem port but the rest of it, LAN and wireless access point, is simply
local LAN and wireless access. Nothing 'special'. You just don't use the
WAN port when there's no modem connected to it.

> Is it possible to buy or wireless access point or summit so that i can share
> all features with my laptop? i'm currently using two b standard wireless
> adapters for a peer to peer arrangement with xp. This however won't allow
> any security and is also extremely unstable.

They all will.

But your questions are also confusing. You talk about your cable modem and
then ask about routers that don't connect to one.

If you're looking for a way to connect it 'all together' then you want a
dsl/cable modem router with wireless access and connect thusly:

wired
cable modem <--> dsl/cable modem +---> PC1
wireless router |
| +---> PC2
| |
~ +---> PC3
wireless
~ ~ ~
| | |
PC4 PC5 PC6

NAT and firewall active on the modem port with the router IP as the default
gateway, which will be done automatically if you use the built in DHCP and
set all the clients to automatic configuration via DHCP.

Everybody on the wired and wireless local LAN will be able to talk to each
other without restriction, unless you set some in the clients themselves.
And they'll all have independent (meaning nothing but the modem and router
need be powered up) internet access through the router's NAT.

There are reports of various modems having problems with certain routers so
it would be a good idea to check with your modem manufacturer's web site to
see if they have any recommendations/warnings about that.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2004 2:05:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
news:10t79nht2cg6nac@corp.supernews.com...
> Mr Jessop wrote:
>
>> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
>> news:EXmAd.1270$G%3.344@news01.roc.ny...
>>
>>>Mr Jessop wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>I have been considering routers for a while. a broadband one is
>>>>different to an adsl one. there are also b and g modems to choose from
>>>>then there are the brands to choose from. I suppose a good brand that
>>>>does cable and adsl as well as wireless b and g is stupidly expensive?
>>>
>>>Use a router that is separate from the broadband modem. Connect the two
>>>by ethernet. That means your old modem won't work since it has only USB.
>>>You can always find networking gear cheap or even free at
>>>techbargains.com.
>>
>>
>> Free?
>>
>> Anyway what makes you think my usb/ethernet cable modem won't work?
>>
>> can i get routers that aren't adsl or cable/dsl designated? I foraged
>> around toys r us and the guy suggested the cable/dsl wireless g router.
>> I asked if this would allow me access to both my pcs or is it an internet
>> sharing device. He says its internet only.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "adsl or cable/dsl designated" but I used my
> D-Link 614+ as simply a local LAN switch and wireless access point before
> I had DSL.
>
> The toys r us fellah apparently doesn't know squat about them. NAT
> (internet sharing), and probably a firewall, is active on the dsl/cable
> modem port but the rest of it, LAN and wireless access point, is simply
> local LAN and wireless access. Nothing 'special'. You just don't use the
> WAN port when there's no modem connected to it.
>
>> Is it possible to buy or wireless access point or summit so that i can
>> share all features with my laptop? i'm currently using two b standard
>> wireless adapters for a peer to peer arrangement with xp. This however
>> won't allow any security and is also extremely unstable.
>
> They all will.
>
> But your questions are also confusing. You talk about your cable modem and
> then ask about routers that don't connect to one.
>
> If you're looking for a way to connect it 'all together' then you want a
> dsl/cable modem router with wireless access and connect thusly:
>
> wired
> cable modem <--> dsl/cable modem +---> PC1
> wireless router |
> | +---> PC2
> | |
> ~ +---> PC3
> wireless
> ~ ~ ~
> | | |
> PC4 PC5 PC6
>
> NAT and firewall active on the modem port with the router IP as the
> default gateway, which will be done automatically if you use the built in
> DHCP and set all the clients to automatic configuration via DHCP.
>
> Everybody on the wired and wireless local LAN will be able to talk to each
> other without restriction, unless you set some in the clients themselves.
> And they'll all have independent (meaning nothing but the modem and router
> need be powered up) internet access through the router's NAT.
>
> There are reports of various modems having problems with certain routers
> so it would be a good idea to check with your modem manufacturer's web
> site to see if they have any recommendations/warnings about that.

well he was really a glorified toy salesman. I asked about support or is it
buy it and get on with it.

he said b i a g o w it! harumph!

as for my question regarding routers i'm sure LANs existed before the
internet or am i thinking intelligent switches? and basic networking hubs.
router is simply a WAN. A WAN is simply a LAN with bolt on internet access
too?

Don't mind me i'm babbling ;) 
December 31, 2004 2:05:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com> wrote in message
news:6R%Ad.90$7M2.87@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
>> Don't mind me i'm babbling ;) 
>
> \

Linux has done its job................. turned a decent guy into a
babbling newsnet poster... time for the 12 step program or an
intervention.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2005 1:51:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Mr Jessop wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> news:10t79nht2cg6nac@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>Mr Jessop wrote:
>>
>>
>>>"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
>>>news:EXmAd.1270$G%3.344@news01.roc.ny...
>>>
>>>
>>>>Mr Jessop wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I have been considering routers for a while. a broadband one is
>>>>>different to an adsl one. there are also b and g modems to choose from
>>>>>then there are the brands to choose from. I suppose a good brand that
>>>>>does cable and adsl as well as wireless b and g is stupidly expensive?
>>>>
>>>>Use a router that is separate from the broadband modem. Connect the two
>>>>by ethernet. That means your old modem won't work since it has only USB.
>>>>You can always find networking gear cheap or even free at
>>>>techbargains.com.
>>>
>>>
>>>Free?
>>>
>>>Anyway what makes you think my usb/ethernet cable modem won't work?
>>>
>>>can i get routers that aren't adsl or cable/dsl designated? I foraged
>>>around toys r us and the guy suggested the cable/dsl wireless g router.
>>>I asked if this would allow me access to both my pcs or is it an internet
>>>sharing device. He says its internet only.
>>
>>I don't know what you mean by "adsl or cable/dsl designated" but I used my
>>D-Link 614+ as simply a local LAN switch and wireless access point before
>>I had DSL.
>>
>>The toys r us fellah apparently doesn't know squat about them. NAT
>>(internet sharing), and probably a firewall, is active on the dsl/cable
>>modem port but the rest of it, LAN and wireless access point, is simply
>>local LAN and wireless access. Nothing 'special'. You just don't use the
>>WAN port when there's no modem connected to it.
>>
>>
>>>Is it possible to buy or wireless access point or summit so that i can
>>>share all features with my laptop? i'm currently using two b standard
>>>wireless adapters for a peer to peer arrangement with xp. This however
>>>won't allow any security and is also extremely unstable.
>>
>>They all will.
>>
>>But your questions are also confusing. You talk about your cable modem and
>>then ask about routers that don't connect to one.
>>
>>If you're looking for a way to connect it 'all together' then you want a
>>dsl/cable modem router with wireless access and connect thusly:
>>
>> wired
>>cable modem <--> dsl/cable modem +---> PC1
>> wireless router |
>> | +---> PC2
>> | |
>> ~ +---> PC3
>> wireless
>> ~ ~ ~
>> | | |
>> PC4 PC5 PC6
>>
>>NAT and firewall active on the modem port with the router IP as the
>>default gateway, which will be done automatically if you use the built in
>>DHCP and set all the clients to automatic configuration via DHCP.
>>
>>Everybody on the wired and wireless local LAN will be able to talk to each
>>other without restriction, unless you set some in the clients themselves.
>>And they'll all have independent (meaning nothing but the modem and router
>>need be powered up) internet access through the router's NAT.
>>
>>There are reports of various modems having problems with certain routers
>>so it would be a good idea to check with your modem manufacturer's web
>>site to see if they have any recommendations/warnings about that.
>
>
> well he was really a glorified toy salesman. I asked about support or is it
> buy it and get on with it.
>
> he said b i a g o w it! harumph!
>
> as for my question regarding routers i'm sure LANs existed before the
> internet

Well, yes, depending on what you mean but LAN doesn't necessarily mean IP
and there used to be a lot of 'LAN' protocols. IP is now the most common
because of the internet.

> or am i thinking intelligent switches? and basic networking hubs.

Those too.

> router is simply a WAN.

No, a router is a device that does routing, not a 'WAN'.

In a 'simple' network (like a typical home LAN) everything goes everywhere
and every computer sees it but when there's literally millions of computers
(becomes necessary long before that) doing so would instantly swamp any
network medium so you want things only going to their 'destination'. E.g.
There's no reason for Bangkok to see packets sent from Boise to Boston.
That means segmenting the network, figuring out routes, and sending via
those routes.

A router looks at the packets and, if they're destined for something on
it's network segment, forwards them to the correct port/next router.

> A WAN is simply a LAN with bolt on internet access
> too?

No, a WAN is a "Wide Area Network," of which the internet is one, and the
one a consumer dsl/cable modem/router would generally mean on it's 'WAN
port' label, since that's what it's customarily used for, but anyone can
make a WAN and large companies often do.

Typical ethernet has limits on how many routers/hubs can be chained and
cable length restrictions significantly shorter than 'world wide' so WANs
present new problems vs local LANs; hence the distinction.


> Don't mind me i'm babbling ;) 
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2005 6:08:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
news:qKtBd.1778$lM6.1348@news01.roc.ny...
> Mr Jessop wrote:
>> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
>> news:EXmAd.1270$G%3.344@news01.roc.ny...
>>
>>>Mr Jessop wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>I have been considering routers for a while. a broadband one is
>>>>different to an adsl one. there are also b and g modems to choose from
>>>>then there are the brands to choose from. I suppose a good brand that
>>>>does cable and adsl as well as wireless b and g is stupidly expensive?
>>>
>>>Use a router that is separate from the broadband modem. Connect the two
>>>by ethernet. That means your old modem won't work since it has only USB.
>>>You can always find networking gear cheap or even free at
>>>techbargains.com.
>>
>>
>> Free?
>>
>> Anyway what makes you think my usb/ethernet cable modem won't work?
>
> You wrote:
>


>> no built in ethernet adapter in the modem.

hmmm



>> you can connect to main pc via usb or ethernet.

contradicted myself there. The second statement is true and i meant that.

What i meant by the no built in adapter i can't remember. thats what i get
for drinking before and during posting i suppose. I probably meant network
hub or wireless adapter it does of course have an ethernet port which whilst
drunk i didn't consider to be an adapter.
!