Microsoft's Outlook.com Hits One Million Users on Day One

Status
Not open for further replies.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
[citation][nom]aggravatedtoday[/nom]No the service does no work.[/citation]

It doesn't work on Opera, which is a shame, I've been using Opera for close to a decade now. But the new UI is very fluid. I had Chrome open with outlook.com just to play around with it. I loaded it into Firefox as well, no issues there either.

The new Alias feature is very cool too. I've added a slightly more professional looking @outlook.com to my regular hotmail account. One account, two addresses.

I got my acct mostly just to make sure nobody steals my name, but after playing with it I may switch over from gmail.... assuming I do not get swarmed by a million spamms over the next few months...

Also, while I like that it and the new contacts have gone Cosmo/Metro, they need to move skydrive and calendar over to complete the transition. And not having free imap support is going to be a deal-breaker for some people (though not a big deal for me).

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]aggravatedtoday[/nom]No the service does no work.[/citation]
There are some browsers it doesn't work on. I have an older Windows machine that has IE8 and it doesn't work there, but works fine on IE9 on my Win7 laptop. This could be a measure of security.

But the interface is nice and clean and seems to be laid out very nicely. I can see myself using it.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I'm pretty sure the majority of this 1 million are upgraded Hotmail accounts. Still, it's an impressive launch. And the servers didn't crash! Take that EA and Blizzard!

TheViper

Distinguished
My student email account has used outlook.com for months.

That 1 million figure is very bloated with Hotmail upgrades and other accounts that were already using outlook.com

shovenose2

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
For once they did a really awesome thing! Hotmail's robust feature set and reliable core + nice interface = a real winner! I'll post a review of it shortly.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]One thing Microsoft needs to do is have an official Android/iOS app.[/citation]

Stay tuned for Office 2013. I've read a couple places now that this version of Office will have compatible android versions, AND fully sync your settings across all machines you have Office installed on. I'm looking forward to it personally.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Tried it, it actually looks nice. The people hub looks really clean and easy to use. I like the way the chat window works.

I might actually switch over to the new service, once they have everything up and running.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I do like Microsofts recent cloud offerings. I have Windows Phone and Office 2013 preview. Access to SkyDrive makes creating docs easy. However, for a business this setup might be more complicated since security would be an issue. I just wish they would make a Windows DSLR camera that auto-uploads all photos to SkyDrive.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I haven't looked at it yet, but Microsoft's standard web-based Outlook service (for corp's) interface works very well--almost as good as the desktop client. If outlook.com works similarly (with calendar/notes integration), it might be a nice alternative for gmail-haters.

edit--Just checked it out. Looks okay. Looks to be some UI appearance consistency between services, but that's not really a problem. I like the mail interface--it's very clean. Ultimately, unless there's a mass exodus from gmail (and other big providers), individuals will probably not migrate. All of my contacts are generally on gmail, and as such I have a centralized place to handle all of my communication and scheduling already.

I do like how outlook.com looks, but I would bet it has as much chance of gaining true momentum as google+ had a chance to actually displace facebook.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
There's more to consider than just email. I know that my Gmail is connected to my youtube account and it's nice that it's all linked so I don't need to log in to both.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I've tried it, and it's OK, but I don't like the airy interface, hidden font/font size controls (in the editor), or the lack of IMAP. I've been thinking about switching to gmail for a while now, and I'll still end up doing that at some point.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]trapper[/nom]It doesn't work on Opera, which is a shame, I've been using Opera for close to a decade now. But the new UI is very fluid. I had Chrome open with outlook.com just to play around with it. I loaded it into Firefox as well, no issues there either.The new Alias feature is very cool too. I've added a slightly more professional looking @outlook.com to my regular hotmail account. One account, two addresses.[/citation]
Yep, I just confirmed that - it loads, but doesn't respond or anything.

Also, when will they FINALLY let me use the mobile version of hotmail/outlook using Chrome on my phone? (rather than giving me the old legacy version for hotmail, and the desktop version for outlook?) This is a major dealbreaker for me.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Yep, I just confirmed that - it loads, but doesn't respond or anything.Also, when will they FINALLY let me use the mobile version of hotmail/outlook using Chrome on my phone? (rather than giving me the old legacy version for hotmail, and the desktop version for outlook?) This is a major dealbreaker for me.[/citation]

Well it seems you need to update Opera to 12.01 (I literally just did so) and surprisingly...outlook.com loads! It's not quite as smooth as in Chrome or Firefox, but it works just fine, if a bit laggy.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]They already do...[/citation]
Mind providing a link to this Outlook.com app because I don't see it on the Play market.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Good i can log in using my hotmail account. Looks better suited for smartphones. I'll let my outlook account hibernate for a month to see if i get any spams.

Status
Not open for further replies.